Hangout - DGM Hang Out Thread | Page 49 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout DGM Hang Out Thread

Silverwolf442

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just random, but always fun, imo to look over drawn work, and see the changes over time.

Looking at Hoshi's artwork, it's fun to see the changes. I posted on tumblr, but figured wth and decided to post here too.

I only did Kanda, Cross, Road, Tyki, Link, and Lvellie for now though, as these stood out at me a bit as changing the most. So did Allen, but I will do one for him later.

I think all of them..except Lvellie, look better. lol

Last edited:

Niko_kun

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think Kanda, Link and Road looks better, Cross I'd like him more with the Ark-arc style and the same for Allen, Tyki and Lavi. I think her best art style for characters was in volume 15-17, I just love the art there so much <3

Silverwolf442

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Kanda, Link and Road looks better, Cross I'd like him more with the Ark-arc style and the same for Allen, Tyki and Lavi. I think her best art style for characters was in volume 15-17, I just love the art there so much <3
I thought that was her worst art style, least on Cross.

Especially looking at him here.

This actually scared me a bit when I 1st saw it. lol

I'm a sucker for more detail. Reading the manga there, I thought the art was the 1 thing the anime did better, especially the sketchy style. I never cared for that look.

Last edited:

anyoneforthe

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
For better or worse... I LOVE her current style! :hearts I hope it doesn't change much!

capricorn

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Just random, but always fun, imo to look over drawn work, and see the changes over time.

Looking at Hoshi's artwork, it's fun to see the changes. I posted on tumblr, but figured wth and decided to post here too.

I only did Kanda, Cross, Road, Tyki, Link, and Lvellie for now though, as these stood out at me a bit as changing the most. So did Allen, but I will do one for him later.

I think all of them..except Lvellie, look better. lol
I love when people do these. I for one love the recent style the most especially since she's formalized the character art so well.I have yet to see alot of the other characters but so far pretty much everyone looks better to me. In the recent chapter though we barley got many clear facial shots of Cross but I do like the width of his hat in the first style. Somehow it seemed a bit small in the recent chapter. From the one's you've posted however road and tyki are certainly the most successful. You should have posted Link from the latest chapter 221, his improvement completely knocks all previous versions of his character art out of the way.

I think you should check the Kanda one though. I think the 3rd Kanda from the left looks like it came from the alma aec and should be second to last.

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I thought that was her worst art style, least on Cross.

Especially looking at him here.

This actually scared me a bit when I 1st saw it. lol

I'm a sucker for more detail. Reading the manga there, I thought the art was the 1 thing the anime did better, especially the sketchy style. I never cared for that look.
really? I mean, there are panels that look kinda strange but, like these:

I think she drew them so delicate and at the same time, idk, detailed... i loved when she used to draw some eyelashes on the eye's bottom

I really love the current art style but I just miss this one so much haha

Silverwolf442

Reaction score
Country
United States
really? I mean, there are panels that look kinda strange but, like these:

Those are good. When you mentioned ark, I was thinking about basically when the Exorcists fight Tyki, and Allen has to play the piano,, then the HQ invasion. Those chapters, the art was eck, imo. That pic of Cross I posted when when they were in the room with the dead skulls.

Like this

But the style she used in the links you showed are great. I did another comparison with Cross, showing the difference with that style vs. this one I hated.

One on the right-hand side is definitely better, imo.

Last edited:

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Those are good. When you mentioned ark, I was thinking about basically when the Exorcists fight Tyki, and Allen has to play the piano,, then the HQ invasion. Those chapters, the art was eck, imo. That pic of Cross I posted when when they were in the room with the dead skulls.

Like this
The page was finished in the tankoubon. ^_^
Hoshino seemed to have missed a lot of deadlines. She even yelled at Yoshida that someone could only produce one chapter per month like her could never finish the chapter in a week (according to the myth of Hoshino in Newbie's manga) :XD

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Like this

But the style she used in the links you showed are great. I did another comparison with Cross, showing the difference with that style vs. this one I hated.

One on the right-hand side is definitely better, imo.
But I loved the art when they fought Tyki too!! Hahaah I think it just improved since vol.8

And this first page you've posted is a draft, in the volume itself, we have the finished art :p

I prefer the version on the right too, but I like the left one too. I guess I'm just a big fan of her drawings xD

Silverwolf442

Reaction score
Country
United States
But I loved the art when they fought Tyki too!! Hahaah I think it just improved since vol.8

And this first page you've posted is a draft, in the volume itself, we have the finished art :p

I prefer the version on the right too, but I like the left one too. I guess I'm just a big fan of her drawings xD
Just one example. Not to say her art has ever been bad. Just some styles were just more pleasing to the eye.

I have always been picky there. Like how the Naruto Shippuden anime style is not consistent, just an off-hand example.

I like when the art is more detailed, but according to others it's bad because the animation isn't good. But the episodes with quality animation have bad art, as it's not as detailed.

Using Sasuke as an example.

Imo, the one of the left-hand is great, but the one on the right, I hate. But that style is what's used when the animation is more expensive I guess. When I first saw that style, I hated it And I looked online to see if anyone noticed, but most people LOVED it, and I was surprised. So I guess I prefer the great art with bad animation to great animation with less detailed art. The style is used in the Chikara arc. Team Asuma and Kakashi vs. Kakuzu + Hidan. Sasuke vs. Killer B. Naruto vs. Sasuke VotE. Kakashi vs. Obito.

I wanted to do something like this for Allen. But I am torn on whether to do manga panels, like the others. Or to show the difference by using the colored volume covers, or art work that Hoshino has done. Sometimes he looks kinda mature, then sometimes, he looks boyish/pretty, then sometimes, he's creepy looking. lol

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Just one example. Not to say her art has ever been bad. Just some styles were just more pleasing to the eye.

I have always been picky there. Like how the Naruto Shippuden anime style is not consistent, just an off-hand example.

I like when the art is more detailed, but according to others it's bad because the animation isn't good. But the episodes with quality animation have bad art, as it's not as detailed.

Using Sasuke as an example.

Imo, the one of the left-hand is great, but the one on the right, I hate. But that style is what's used when the animation is more expensive I guess. When I first saw that style, I hated it And I looked online to see if anyone noticed, but most people LOVED it, and I was surprised. So I guess I prefer the great art with bad animation to great animation with less detailed art. The style is used in the Chikara arc. Team Asuma and Kakashi vs. Kakuzu + Hidan. Sasuke vs. Killer B. Naruto vs. Sasuke VotE. Kakashi vs. Obito.

I wanted to do something like this for Allen. But I am torn on whether to do manga panels, like the others. Or to show the difference by using the colored volume covers, or art work that Hoshino has done. Sometimes he looks kinda mature, then sometimes, he looks boyish/pretty, then sometimes, he's creepy looking. lol
I agree with you, the left-sasuke looks waaaaaay better... I prefer the great art with bad animation too :)

Allen's style is really inconstant so, I think if you wanna make one about him, you should use only manga related, and not using the color pages/covers (I would do it that way) haha

Silverwolf442

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with you, the left-sasuke looks waaaaaay better... I prefer the great art with bad animation too :)

Allen's style is really inconstant so, I think if you wanna make one about him, you should use only manga related, and not using the color pages/covers (I would do it that way) haha
Yeah. Allen is tricky. lol his style may change in-between chapters lol

I just think about the recent cover for example. Allen looks kinda boyish there. But then you have this, where I always thought he looked creepy.

Road looks adorable though.

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yeah. Allen is tricky. lol his style may change in-between chapters lol

I just think about the recent cover for example. Allen looks kinda boyish there. But then you have this, where I always thought he looked creepy.

Road looks adorable though.
My point exactly haha Hoshino is always teasing us with his look

practically

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

DGM Cafe 6/10 to 7/30 of this year! o: Could anyone with decently proficient Japanese help me make a reservation...? > v>;; I just got back from a weekend trip to Tokyo, and if I plan more in advance, it'd be even more cost-efficient.

Just kidding, I found my way to the reservation page. They haven't opened reservations for that period yet, but I can't go the first weekend... I have an intensive make-up session for a class that gets a 3 week break when the professor goes abroad to teach. But then, I'm going to have a 3 week period without one of my courses, so perhaps that'd be a better time. How could I possibly go but not order literally everything? My wallet already hurts just thinking about it...

Silverwolf442

Reaction score
Country
United States
New poster
Awww. Lenalee looks cute. Looks like she's playing with Tim. He seems to like her. Like when he's fretting over her when she's crying. Though it was cuter in the anime where he's patting her head with one wing, and flapping with the other. lol.
And typical Allen and Cross there. Allen is the adult of the 2 lol
Liking Cross' new color scheme - too bad he won't be around long to show it much lol

Last edited:

fuff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
i wanna see road in the new art T_T

Silverwolf442

Reaction score
Country
United States
The new poster has been cleaned up a bit, so we got some cleaner scans of it here.

Though now, I can see Lenalee's nose looks a bit odd. lol

Thanks for posting 1st Fuff.

Last edited:

Sullyan

Reaction score
Country
Spain
The new poster has been cleaned up a bit, so we got some cleaner scans of it here.

That poster is the new magazine? O_o
The only thing I do not like is Lena. This face...

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Lenalee looks strange o_O
And cross has a neckless not a crucifix lol