Discussion - Do You Believe In Superstitions And The Supernatural? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Do You Believe In Superstitions And The Supernatural?

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Do You Believe In Superstitions And The Supernatural?

Black cats, ladders, the lines on pavements, the number thirteen... all of them are to do with superstitions passed down from generations. Do you believe in them? Do you ignore them? Are there any weird/whacky superstitions from your country?

As for the supernatural... many of us would be familiar with the hit TV series 'Supernatural'. There have been many people claiming to have seen, felt or even communicate with ghosts. In school-based manga, there is almost always a character associated with the occult club. Do you believe in the supernatural? Do you have an explanation for such phenomena?

Discuss superstitions and the supernatural here!​

Zeltrax

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
:lmao
I almost fell when I saw you make this thread.
Well ahem,
My answer is no.
I used to believe in them but now, not as much.
To be honest, there is a lot of superstition stuffs in singapore.
Most of them occuring during the seventh month and on soliders or during
our man only two years national service.
Most of them are scary, not because of how exaggerated it is but how real it sounds.
Let's be honest, I'm not stubborn to the extent that when I see a floating pale young lady chasing me
and call it a sheet of clothing.
I'm pretty sure I'll faint on spot.
Anyway, I don't believe in them but I do respect them because I respect people that
respect them or something.
Science still wins over supernatural for me.
But then.. what about the third eye?

ilinx

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Austria
I know a woman who considers herself a 'white witch'. When she told me about this I thought she was kidding and asked if she goes dancing around a bonfire naked in Walpurgis Night too. Her answer was "not naked, but we do celebrate it". She also explained how she practices witchcraft and works with all kinds of herbs and roots and infuses them with magic etc. So, yes, she was serious about this. :blink

Do I believe in...
Superstition: No. I have a black cat. If a black cat crossing my path meant bad luck I would probably be dead by now.
Supernatural: You never know... I don't really believe in supernatural things but I'm also not sure they don't exist. There might be things we can't perceive or just don't notice. Even vampires might exist unnoticed if they 'integrate' well (and don't sparkle!). :p

Devil Hunter

Reaction score
Country
Israel
After seeing a few creepy things when I've been in a dark room by myself--yeah, I believe in the supernatural. Because one time as I was going to bed, I clicked off my lamp and could've sworn I saw a dark silhouette immediately fly from the corner. It scared the beejeesus outta me. I would've sworn on my life that someone had been in the room with me. You know that chill that crawls up your spine? Like you just know instinctively that something is a bit "off"? That's what I felt. O_o

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
More or less like what Zelx said. I don't actually believe in them, though I do respect them. (They said that if we respect them they won't hunt us down, right? =___=)

My dad told me he saw ghosts pretty often during his youth. My mom didn't believe it at all. So I guess I stand at the middle of it. :P There might be some weird things happened that can't be explained, but sometimes I think some things are being exaggerated.

mattiaildivino

九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Italy
of course not,I don't understand how someone can do that.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Black cats, ladders, the lines on pavements, the number thirteen... all of them are to do with superstitions passed down from generations. Do you believe in them? Do you ignore them? Are there any weird/whacky superstitions from your country?
BIG answer NO :)

As for the supernatural... many of us would be familiar with the hit TV series 'Supernatural'. There have been many people claiming to have seen, felt or even communicate with ghosts. In school-based manga, there is almost always a character associated with the occult club. Do you believe in the supernatural? Do you have an explanation for such phenomena?
well if there is any inexplicable phenomena then its super natural in a sense that present capabilities cant discert its coherence with normal circumstances
as such yes i do belive in some sort of supernatural
but not those common communicating with dead and stuffs

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I just so happened to stumble across a list of superstitions not so long ago, wait, i'll bring it up. Here are some of the examples I picked out.

"Dropping an umbrella on the floor means that there will be a murder in the house."

"If a friend gives you a knife, you should give him a coin, or your friendship will soon be broken."

"It is bad luck to light three cigarettes with the same match."

I don't need to comment these, do I? All i can add is a scientific explanation of the Friday the 13th phenomena. Everyone who has spent a little time studying the theory of dates knows, that every 400 years the dates repeat themselves, meaning that today in 400 years will be the same weekday as today. I don't use a specific day as not to arouse misunderstandings due to different timezones.

Anyway, like i said every 400 years the dates repeat themselves, and it was counted that in this time there simply are more Friday the 13th, then Tuesday the 13th or Sunday the 13th, and hence the amount of cassualties happing on this very 13th is naturally bigger then on all other days. Simple as that. :hip

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, I believe there is a God (I am catholic) however I don't believe in magic (of any color), I don't believe black cats, walking under stairs or breaking a mirror will give me bad luck or that I should hit wood or throw salt at stuff to avoid bad things from happening. I do believe in the implied supernatural things that Catholics are supposed to believe however before actually believing something is a miracle or supernatural in nature I would exhaust every reasonable, logical, scientific or statistical option I have (Of course, my own ignorance in those things could hinder me in this regard but nothing I couldn't google my way out off lol).

anyone here ever suffered from sleep paralysis (check wikipedia if you don't know what that is)? Most people have that at least once in their life. Obviously with my luck I have it around 4 or 5 times a year (imagine being a kid and trying to go back to sleep right after that). I recall one time I had that came with an exceptionally strong dream. It starts with the usual symptons of feeling pressure in your chest and the sensation of not being able to move.... then I actually felt my sheets being pulled over my head to the point where my feet were not covered by them anymore. When I could finally move I started wondering what the hell just happened (I knew about sleep paralisis at the time, it simply was an exceptionally strong dream) only to realize my sheets were not in the position they should be if the dream had been real. Had a good laugh that time. I am still iffy about the time I saw a weird dude disappearing into thin air after I woke up and could move (unless the dream was so strong it felt that way although if that was the case I would have gotten the sensation of being able to move again twice, from the dream and from actually being able to move which was not the case).

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I do believe in the supernatural. Though, it really depends on what we're talking about here.

To be specific, I do believe that ghosts, demonic possessions, supernatural occurrences, and such exist. If you're looking for a scientific explanation, then I don't have one for you. But I highly doubt that we're the only ones in existence. Then again, I'm well aware that I may just be a fool.

As for superstition, I do believe in that, but to a lesser extent.

Black cats and the number 13 itself isn't something that I put my complete faith in. It depends on the superstition, but I do believe that "bad luck" happens more in certain cases than others.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Yes, I do believe in the supernatural. Though, it really depends on what we're talking about here.

To be specific, I do believe that ghosts, demonic possessions, supernatural occurrences, and such exist. If you're looking for a scientific explanation, then I don't have one for you. But I highly doubt that we're the only ones in existence. Then again, I'm well aware that I may just be a fool.

As for superstition, I do believe in that, but to a lesser extent.

Black cats and the number 13 itself isn't something that I put my complete faith in. It depends on the superstition, but I do believe that "bad luck" happens more in certain cases than others.
Couldn't agree with you more to be honest. I too do believe in supernatural things. Ghosts and such. I do wonder if we are ever going to get proof for that. Sometimes I see videos on that subject and think to myself "Meh, it's probably just a shadow/they edited the video". And that's probably what happens a lot anyway. I do still believe in it. It has something mysterious? Not everything in the world is explainable :)

And about superstition things, I can see where it comes from. I don't believe them though, not really. It's funny actually. Years and years ago white cats where the ones bringing bad luck, and black ones would bring good luck. Interesting that things have changed and turned around over the years.

Dunno1978

Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
I believe in supernatural phenomena, such as Missing Time, Shadow People, Spontaneous Self-Combustion, Unexplainable Disappearances (such as Frederick Valentich case), Unexplainable Deaths (such as Dyatlov Pass case), and many others, but I don't believe in superstitions.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Couldn't agree with you more to be honest. I too do believe in supernatural things. Ghosts and such. I do wonder if we are ever going to get proof for that. Sometimes I see videos on that subject and think to myself "Meh, it's probably just a shadow/they edited the video". And that's probably what happens a lot anyway. I do still believe in it. It has something mysterious? Not everything in the world is explainable :)

And about superstition things, I can see where it comes from. I don't believe them though, not really. It's funny actually. Years and years ago white cats where the ones bringing bad luck, and black ones would bring good luck. Interesting that things have changed and turned around over the years.

Yeah, I agree that videos can be more difficult to believe in because of how easy it is to edit in a "supernatural occurrence". I usually don't trust videos, although, documentaries might a have more realistic approach to it.

If people believe in having a soul, then it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume that there are also ghosts. Souls and ghosts are practically the same thing -- the only difference is that one is often hidden within a physical body.

Demons might be harder for some people to believe, but I think that "evil spirits" naturally exist.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

What's the difference between supernatural and superstition?

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
In my opinion superstition is more about those general "If you find a 4 leaf clover you'll be more lucky", spilling salt, black cat type of things. Mundane items, events or animals really.
While supernatural seems to refer more to things that aren't "natural", so ghost, demons. Those other legends too if you look at it more broadly (Vampires, werewolves, fairies, urban legends such as big foot).

Don't know every one agrees, but this is my take on it :)

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
Similar to what MarmaladeSky said, to my understanding, supernatural is phenomena such as ghosts, werewolves or magic which can't be explained by laws of the nature whereas superstition is a subset of supernatural, specifically things we do or possess to avoid bad luck which, under some circumstances, is more like a habit than an actual belief.

Personally I don't believe in supernatural and I think they're just a figment of human imagination just like elves or the philosopher's stone. IMHO soul is an abstract concept to define qualities what makes us a human as opposed to, for example, a stone, in that sense I don't believe a ghost, a soul without a body, can exist and interact with the human world in any manner. If supernatural forces were a thing, there would be no reason for them not to be a recurrent occurrence the truth of which is acknowledged by everyone without any doubt whatsoever, IMHO.