Discussion Do your parents watch anime?

Dive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
321
Reaction score
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Since I'm watching my DVR'd episodes of Monster right now, I was wondering if anyone's parents watch any anime. This comes to mind because my mom watches Monster with me every week. She also really enjoys watching Miyazaki films too.
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Considering my parents told me "What's so special about those cartoon books" this answer is a hell no for me. :rofl
Well, they have watched some Pixar movies if you want to take it a broad view. They would never be interested in anime.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Ha no not even a little. My mom watched Pokemon with me when I was little for like the first 5 minutes before she called it dumb and left the room. My whole family still can't rap their heads around my "backwards books".
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
NO.

My parents think both anime and manga are for kids. Whenever they see me reading/watching it, they say to me "you should grow up and stop watching Japanese cartoons" LOL! or they keep bringing up Uni "how's studying going, are you up to date with all your work" and stuff like that. :darn I've tried explaining it to them but they just don't get it/believe me.
 

silver_soul

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
95
Reaction score
28
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
lool.same here but one time my brother put spirited away on the big tele and we all watched it and enjoyed it.needless to say, it was a special moment,haha.other than that,never.
 

AnkorSVK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
105
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
Slovakia
NO.

My parents think both anime and manga are for kids. Whenever they see me reading/watching it, they say to me "you should grow up and stop watching Japanese cartoons" LOL! or they keep bringing up Uni "how's studying going, are you up to date with all your work" and stuff like that. :darn I've tried explaining it to them but they just don't get it/believe me.
Well i think its the same by almost all 18+ here im also not an exeption.I experienced something like that.

Now its like a quiet agreement i do wnatever i want and they do their own stuff so noone asks noone comments.
Well manga-anime is a reason why i started drawing again so they are happy that i do not sit the whole day in the front of the computer or TV anymore XD
 

Gcat88

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2009
Messages
659
Reaction score
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
My dad says i need to do better myself rather than watching japanese cartoons. i dont know about you guys, but i will be a parent that WATCHES anime!!!!! and one thing is for sure as soon as i see my kid watching a dubbed series ill turn off the tv and show him real voice actors!!!!
 

shaheer

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
4,190
Reaction score
2,208
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
the hell with it, both of them are totally against anime and manga
 

LilaChan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
568
Reaction score
100
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
Erm...My parents doesn't mind watching Detective Conan, they actually enjoy it with all the different cases and so on. My mum enjoys movies by Studio Gihibi...she always says My Neighbour Totoro is really good.

My parent's doesn't really mind me watching anime, suprisingly enough. I have no idea why they don't say much about it. I do try and hide certain animes from my parents.

As long as I get good grades they wouldn't say much I guess...
 

Dive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
321
Reaction score
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Looks like we're an oddity, Lila, haha! My parents don't care what I'm into. They realize they're just cartoons and drawings (although, I won't be showing them my copies of MPD Psycho anytime soon). They know I'm a nerd, but it isn't all I do (they might get a bit upset if all my time was devoted to something like anime/manga).
 

TemplateR

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
883
Reaction score
244
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
My grandmother only watch my AMV´s and are mostly surprised about the product of my doing xD

My parents doesn´t watch any cartoons or animes more. They are, for theirself said, to old.
 

shaheer

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
4,190
Reaction score
2,208
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
well in my family if any one watches anime they r my cousins, and they were the ones who introduced me to anime
though my mom once watched Grave of the fire flies , and she said it was really good.
 
Last edited:

Blackthornhiei

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Messages
119
Reaction score
32
Gender
Female
Country
El Salvador
My mom used to wonder what I found interesting about anime and manga, when all of a sudden I caught her watching Pokemon daily. Then she told me she used to watch the original Astroboy when she was a kid and enjoyed it a lot.

She watched all of Fullmetal Alchemist when it aired on local tv (even cried on that scene), some Rave and some Cyborg 009. She watched some Gundam SEED with me and has asked when will we watch more (but she has to me on a special mood).

She's more of a gamer, though.

My dad used to be the one that told me to grow up and stop watching cartoons, and that that stuff wasn't for ladies. But recently he's been trying to understand what exactly is it that I like.
 

Gcat88

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2009
Messages
659
Reaction score
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Since 99.99999999999999% of us have gone through this thing of having our parents tell us to not watch anime because it is stupid or it wont help us grow, or some other lame excuse, do you guys, and girls, think that with your own kids you will be more tolerant with what they watch??

P.S. I will.
 

strawhatsarah

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2010
Messages
75
Reaction score
18
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Babe, did you mean less tolerant? I think thats what you meant.

I will be just as tolerant as my parents. They never once told me to stop watching a program, or anime. The only times they did is when it was sexually graphic, overly violent, or bad language. They stopped with that, however, once I was 13 or so.
 

Dive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
321
Reaction score
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I don't want kids, but assuming I do, it just depends on how much my kid matures growing up. As long as I know they can distinguish fantasy from reality, then I really do not care what they watch. That's how my mom was. She never cared what my brother and I watched because we knew it was just a movie, a TV show, a video game, etc, and that we were smart enough to not imitate it once we got to a certain age.
 

shaheer

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
4,190
Reaction score
2,208
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
i d like them (if any ever) to watch anime, as long as they r doing good with their studies
 

Mushashi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
501
Reaction score
52
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
my mum liked grave of the fireflies and watched astro boy and gigantor as a kid. R.I.P
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
My parents don't watch anime but one of my father's friends does. He's allways talking about anime whit me when he's at my place and he's more than 40.
 
Top