Discussion Does One Piece anime pacing turn people off?

hyper_megaman

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
581
Reaction score
89
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
The chance they are remaking it are near 0. Who would want to remake 20 years of manga when the current adaptation already sells good despite its quality ?
when it stops being of any commercial value when the entire series is over

one day maybe 5 years after the anime ends people just stop buying it, then they will have a remake and people will empty their pockets again!

i'm waiting for the latter. the former is not getting a single cent out of me

look at dragonball kai
 

SlayerKisame

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
78
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I personally thought I was the only one who thought the pacing was ridiculously slow! That's why I don't watch the anime! I remember watching last week's episode just for the kicks and I almost died, seriously, it was painful.

Thankfully, I started OP from manga and finished to current that way. Only looked at anime for fights (which were still slow...).
 

Ledoke

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2007
Messages
116
Reaction score
81
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
The chance they are remaking it are near 0. Who would want to remake 20 years of manga when the current adaptation already sells good despite its quality ?
It's not really a remake but wasn't a movie that recaps all pre-timeskip stuff in the making? I remember someone making fun of One Piece by saying that the anime is so stretched out that you could fit all 500 episodes of it into one 90 minutes movie XD
 

The Red Dog

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
171
Reaction score
151
Gender
Male
Country
France
I think most watchers wouldn't bother a slow pacing if drawing style, animation quality and interpretation of movements weren't changing that much not only from one episode to another but also scene-wise sometimes (Nami's Gust Sword from Episode 557, the anime's interpretation of Luffy's new Gear 2). Since Enies Lobby there aren't that many scenes where one could say that all of it is balanced.

Heck, but I'm still glad that that scribble kid who ruined the Enies Lobby finale hasn't been doing whole episodes again since the time skip.
You're spot on when you say execution is essential,for example take ep 558:Sanji's Armée de L'Air Rubber Shoot was litteraly Horrible :no though I don't mind some fillers,not the entirety of them are craps,especialy Fighting Fillers like

Akainu vs Inazuma & Ivankov

Animation is good without being great,what bothers me the most are small details and some of the current voice acting(you're a tough one if you stand Shirahoshi's voice).Speaking of which,in the latest ep fleehoshi was breathing like she was actually outdoor with her attempt to draw Noah away from FI :-_- It was just weird,not to say Lame
 

thatguy3331

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Messages
588
Reaction score
362
Gender
Male
Country
United States
(Luffy getting owned by Hodi is...sinful)
they....did....WHAT?!

Putting aside my newly gained bloodlust, As far as the anime is concerned I haven't been bugged but it is definetly by circumstance. I've been getting the anime collections (since my mom forced me to show her some of One piece is now more addicted than even I am to it) and the begining dosn't seem as bad and as I'm going through skypeia I definetly see something of a change but it hasn't felt as drastic yet.

I pretty much jumped in and out of the CP9 during my initial getting into one piece but I remember how bloody anoyed I was just looking through the episode list to see a bunch of flashbacks as they jumped off the damn tower. Seriously know this arc is a pivital momment and all, that was just one damn pannel! I've also been watching the fishman island arc animated since unlike alot of fans don't hate the arc (Just hody and his shitty co hoards) The paing is definetly slow and while I did like the material in the flashbacks, It was a rather long and trying treking. Plus I hated how some of the starting actions were animated. I was most disappointed in Zoro's showing off and especially disappointed in Sanji's skywalk. I know its for rotating artists and I think a bunch of animes do that but really...
 

BurnSchulz

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
942
Reaction score
581
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Besides from the complete filler arc episodes, the Train-Jump Episodes were the worst in my opinion.
Last time i watched one piece through, i just skipped some of that episodes to reduce the time waste.

I also skip some single filler episodes. even though i think most filler are still worth watching.
Well the single filler episodes in the beginning of One Piece were pretty cool. I talk about the few episodes after Alabasta.

I really like the Episode where usopp is making fireworks, or when chopper tells robin about Doc Kulleah. Or now that i think of it, in alabasta arc there were also some filler episodes featuring ace. They are really cool. I like the episode with the 3 guys who lie about being in rebel army, or the desert pirates!
At that time where i first saw those episodes i didnt read the manga that far, but i kinda knew that they were filler. Even though i liked theese episodes really much.

On the other side, i hate small filler arcs. Like with Ryu the Dragon, The Rainbow Mist, ot the Pheonix Pirates (After enis lobby arc).
And most of all i hate filler episodes with, i just say, "Random stuff"

At enies Lobby it started with Chopperman and stuff like that. Wow i didnt manage to watch the whole episode. It just felt that wrong...
I felt ashamed when turned it on tv with my GF watching too...

Episodes like this are just wrong in my opinion.
Instead of making Chopperman (and stuff) Episodes, they have my permission to make Cover Story Episodes instead.
In the beginning of one piece we also had the Buggy Cover story in 2 episodes, and the Corby Helmeppo one, they were great in my opinion.

Why not coninue making that? I mean its even canon to the series. There are plenty of examples where it wouldve been really nice. Like aces hunt for blackbeard and the Milk delivery.
We dont know yet if the escaping of the CP9 from the destroyed Enis Lobby is important. How will they explain it in the future when they have a come back?
OK i admit that enerus journey to the moon is veeeery cheesy, but i think its more entertaining than chopperman.
 
Last edited:

TheBoss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
1,281
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Humm idk, since I started reading the manga because of the anime i dont actually felt those problems, for me enies lobby arc on the anime was so epic that i couldnt think of another thing than watching the next episode, actually it was even better that the War arc for me. But I must be the minority a guess ^^
 

LeoMarco

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 15, 2012
Messages
19
Reaction score
5
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Kingdom
I can't say the pacing is as bad as other anime. Though sometimes I feel animators could have done a little more with an episode, though I don't think it's that big of deal since I've read the manga - so I already know what is going to happen. There have been a few episodes recently where I haven't watched the full episode because of the pacing, but then again, as I already read the manga, watching the anime is just to pass the time while I wait for the next chapter.

On the plus side, at least One Piece are a lot more tolerable than other series. I think One Piece have some of the best filler episodes compared to other anime.
 

matzik1212

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 11, 2010
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
1,646
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Hmm i like the anime . Comparative with other animes , One Piece doesn't have many fillers but it's true i don't always like how some important things are changed in the anime . The only thing that i would have to complain about is the little differences from the manga . That is what pisses people off IMO :tem
 

BlackSword

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2007
Messages
362
Reaction score
193
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The anime is meh... Like the plaza fight scene on Fishman Island has Zoro and Sanji attacking individual 'fodder pirates'...
IMO if Zoro or Sanji attacked individual cannon fodder the poor cannon fodder would probably spontaneously-combust from too much awesomeness. :verily It was okay to do that sort of thing during Enies Lobby but now... Even if they are holding back they are still probably going to kill normal weaklings...
And there are a few scenes where the swords are too short or you can see attacks completely missing... The anime also has a lot of 'lets stare at a single thing for like 3 minutes...'
All in all Manga all the way! I usually just youtube the 'big fights' when I'm bored and read the manga every week :P
 
Last edited:

Zehahaha

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 7, 2009
Messages
8,501
Reaction score
5,714
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
OP anime sucks since Shabaody arc, fails after fails after fails after fails, there is some good moments here and there, but it's just horrendous in general
/the end
 

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don´t know whether a link to another forum is allowed, if not then please delete this post:

A member of APForums makes a condensed version of whole arcs with a 2 chapter pacing, it´s really worth to watch
http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=34191
If you have anymore of this, then posted here or send me a pm. Thank so much. I was avoiding the anime. But I would watch this, and is this has subtitle??
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
yep, it´s hardsubbed and the quality is not hd but is definitely enough. he pretty much took out all the filler fights, so basically we have the animated manga in color and with sound. the guy who made this should have already done Impel Down is at the moment doing FI. I have to search for it though
 

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
MiyamotoMusashi- I just look through his old posts, his make over of some fishman island arc is pretty good. I didn't download because the download thing was way too slow. I saw it via dailymotion.
 

BlackSword

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2007
Messages
362
Reaction score
193
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don´t know whether a link to another forum is allowed, if not then please delete this post:

A member of APForums makes a condensed version of whole arcs with a 2 chapter pacing, it´s really worth to watch
http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=34191
I honestly would also be interested in something like that ^ one of the biggest turn offs to the OP Anime is that like 10mins of a 24minute episode goes into the opening song/ending song, what happened previously, what will happen next bull!

Maybe we should make a separate thread for this? :super
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Well you could make a new thread but i am not the one who makes those episodes so i do not really know if i have the right to. I just wanted to direct the attention towards it because it makes the anime more enjoyable.
 

yieps

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
294
Reaction score
55
Gender
Hidden
Country
Sweden
The downturn of the anime began at the end of the Water 7 arc, at episode 290 or something, when a new drawing style was introduced. Chopper also got a new and unfitting voice but that wasn't significant. The downturn since then wasn't linear and with many ups in between but the quality diminished steadily.
Not only they started to unable draw the faces right and started to add more fan service to the extent when you feel like watching an ecchi anime( read this regarding the fan service. It's not clear to me how much Oda is involved in the anime production, so I don't know how to interpret this), they also began to increase the intro length and to stretch every possible moment like in Naruto. But especially since the Sabaody arc even the anime's interpretation and adaptation, respectively, of the manga became worse.
 
Last edited:

hoeru

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2011
Messages
1,558
Reaction score
705
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mauritius
Chopper also got a new and unfitting voice but that wasn't significant.
That wasn't permanent. Ohtani-san was replaced for episodes 254 to 263 for maternity leave and returned afterwards.

The new "drawing style" was Naoki Tate who began in Skypiea with whle episodes but then became a complete letdown in Enies Lobby, wasn' it?
 

Zehahaha

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 7, 2009
Messages
8,501
Reaction score
5,714
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
The downturn of the anime began at the end of the Water 7 arc, at episode 290 or something, when a new drawing style was introduced. Chopper also got a new and unfitting voice but that wasn't significant. The downturn since then wasn't linear and with many ups in between but the quality diminished steadily.
Not only they started to unable draw the faces right and started to add more fan service to the extent when you feel like watching an ecchi anime( read this regarding the fan service. It's not clear to me how much Oda is involved in the anime production, so I don't know how to interpret this), they also began to increase the intro length and to stretch every possible moment like in Naruto. But especially since the Sabaody arc even the anime's interpretation and adaptation, respectively, of the manga became worse.
Quality wise (animation), TB arc was nearly the best one there, it's especially after TB that the drawings were awful
 
Top