Shounen - Dogashi Kaden by Hamada Kosuke | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Dogashi Kaden by Hamada Kosuke

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Summary:

Our Hero is aspiring to be a basketball player since his childhood. Although being short, Haruyoshi joins the basketball club in his school, but always was just the 'errand boy' for the rest. Running... into a girl changes his destiny. She, being the clubs manager, investigates a scouting note which leads her back to him after their first encounter. Will she turn Haruyoshi into a great basketball player?

Get the first chapter Here

A new basketball series has appeared in jump. Your ideas?

Last edited:

Kyuzo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Dogashi Kaiden by Hamada Kosuke

Looks sick.

bunshindattebayo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

The art looks familiar.Hope this new serie can cure my disappointment of Over Time got cancelled.

Succubus

Reaction score
Country
Genosha

I don't like this manga =/

Kyuzo

Reaction score
Country
United States

The art looks familiar.Hope this new serie can cure my disappointment of Over Time got cancelled.
Over Time was the shit. I'm still shocked they cancelled it.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Over Time was the shit. I'm still shocked they cancelled it.
Yep I agree over time could have been the greatest sports manga if it would have continued, at least imo

anyway did you guys get a ES21 feeling when reading this? The boy reminds me of sena

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Not really.

LegACy

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Sena? Well, looks like this guy really love Basketball already, unlike Sena which knew nothing about Football...

BTW, he gets that ladder stepping training as well, just like Sena ^^

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Not really.
Sena? Well, looks like this guy really love Basketball already, unlike Sena which knew nothing about Football...

BTW, he gets that ladder stepping training as well, just like Sena ^^
Not as in arts but he's prolly somehow pushed into a team (given the fact the girl is a team manager). Both shorties, both scaredy and both will prolly be the big deal in their sports

Last edited:

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France

anyway did you guys get a ES21 feeling when reading this? The boy reminds me of sena
Take the fifth panel of page 32, and put it in ES21, you won't see a difference :D But yeah, this kinda gives out an ES21 feeling (Hazuki reminds me a bit of Hiruma, with her black notebook, money and it seems a "everything for the win" personality), which is not necessarily a bad thing, imo :oh ES21 won't last forever (unfortunately :darn) so having a spare one could be nice.

Anyway, I liked it enough to be motivated to translate it, so you guys can go check it out if you want :amuse

fluke32

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Yeah, I liked the first impression this manga showed us with this opening chapter. It gave me several moments of being shocked. The only mangas that gave me these kind of impact opening were ES21, SlamDunk, Mx0, GantZ, Great Teacher Onizuka and One Piece.

Hope it will last as long as SlamDunk did, coz I'd be mightily dissapointed if this turned out to be yet another cancelled project...

Off-topic: I've seen 3 cancellation in the period of 2 months. Geez~. Is being laid-off possible in the mangaka profession or something?:p

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Copied from the RTS thread:

I don't see much hope for this.

The first chapter has really nothing interesting about it. The introduction of the chapter made me think it was One Piece, basketball edition. Replace Shanks for the man, Luffy with the child protagonist and the straw hat for the basketball. The characters are boring and really uninteresting. A young protagonist with no balls, no confidence who wants to accomplish something big... Where have I seen that before? The comedy in this manga isn't really... comedy. It's just not funny. The "I WAS SAYING THAT ALL ALONG" jokes can only work for so long

I usually read a few chapters to see whether or not I'd like the series, but I won't for this. There's nothing that shows me this is going to be anything good, so chapter 1 will be my first and last chapter read for this series.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

I have always asked myself how people come up with criteria to drop a manga after ONLY 1 chapter. Anyway everyone his own point of view... -> I did it too eg one piece and now I love it all the way

Based on the raw I didn't have a bad feeling but

Gonna read the chapter tonight and I'll know more, just to know what's the best quality scan?

Last edited:

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Wooo!!! Awesome first chapter, I'm definately gonna stick with this until this ends. Gotta love the manager, though to me, she doesn't really remind me of Hiruma.

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada

I have always asked myself how people come up with criteria to drop a manga after ONLY 1 chapter. Anyway everyone his own point of view... -> I did it too eg one piece and now I love it all the way

Based on the raw I didn't have a bad feeling but

Gonna read the chapter tonight and I'll know more, just to know what's the best quality scan?
Mix in a lack of any potential to become anything worthy, boring characters, too many typical shounen clichés, mediocre art, and voila. This is a series that doesn't have much hope of becoming anything [good] worth reading. That's why 1 chapter was enough for me to decide to stop.

[edit] SCX is a LQ, MangaAddict is a decent MQ.

Last edited:

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States

If you take Eyeshield and take out everything that was original and cool about it and make it about a sport that's been overdone in the manga world, you get this. I really hope it dies. Normally I wouldn't care it being in Jump, but when unique mangas like Usagi and Sket Dance are at risk of being cancelled, fuck it. We don't need another basketball manga. This is trying to be Eyeshield and it just isn't. The setup is EXACTLY the same as the first chapter of Eyeshield. I'm sorry, I'm just not buying it. Good artwork can not make up for a generic story.

Meromorphe

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela

I guess this guy will be a shooting guard, since Michael Jordan was. The manga does not seem to go very deeply in the basketball details.
Same here, it reminds me of Eyeshield 21, but it is not so fun.
Only, the unexpected turn of events was fun. In case like that we often discover that the girl is the daughter of a yakuza and the family of the boy cannot refuse. Here, the girl is the heir of a rich family, maybe the parents are employed by the Minagawa, so thez conclusion will be the same.
I will read the second chapter to give the manga a second chance.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Read the chapter

First of all, I wouldn't compare this to sket dance or usagi. This is a sports manga that can't be compared with those two. If you wanna compare it at least with something, compare it with the succeeded slam dunk, PoT, Es21 or the failed over time, hands, ko sen. Yeah frustrations of beloved mangas that are in a threat of being cancelled can make you negative and hard towards other mangas (I can speak about it since mx0 was cancelled before usagi, sket dance,...)

Well this is only one chapter far and as for all those sports manga it isn't easy to say where this will go to. I got a decent feeling with this because at least haruyoshis character was outlined a lot: we know why he loves basketball, we know why he failed, we know why the manager is interested in him, etc and that's a true + because you don't see that a lot in sports manga. For now I can't say if it'll succeed or not, it isn't easy to predict these kind of things with sports manga (eg over time, imo this one had the potential of becoming the best sports manga all time but it failed and we got to live with it)

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States

Maybe I am just put off by the fact that Basketball is boring to me.

fluke32

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I for one can vouch that this is not really comparable to any other series at all. Well, we can't even say that this manga could meet up with standards that sports mangas like ES21 and SlamDunk has set this early, but I still think it will be a good read. Let's at least wait for the chapter where we get to see the protagonist to play in a team.