Shounen Double Arts by Komi Naoshi

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
well you have to consider that with a one-shot it's a one off story, whilst weekly series require you to come up with ways for the story to go week by week....

anyway it occurs to me that Komi would make a kickass volume of one-shots (yasuhiro kano or eiichiro oda style) given the chance!
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Oneshot compilations seem to be not very popular for shounen. They're quite common among shoujo and BL manga. My MU statistics say that I've read mostly BL series but that's to be blamed on the insane among of oneshots and oneshot compilations. (One of my favorite BL mangaka alone has written 20+ oneshots which are all counted as single series at MU thus explaining that this demographic is listed for me with 463 series alone *cough* >.>)

That's really a shame. When you look at Komi's works I would gladly read more shounen oneshots of this level. Hello Baby and Souten no Koumori are also a nice example for very good shounen oneshots. I wouldn't mind Komi specializing on short series.
 
Last edited:

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
2,677
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Woah, some other one shots from Komi that I didn't know about? Sweet. Might have to read it when I have the opportunity.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Woah, some other one shots from Komi that I didn't know about? Sweet. Might have to read it when I have the opportunity.
The ones I listed as examples aren't Komi's works. They're created by Obata (Death Note) and Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist), two very outstanding shounen mangaka.
 

Neji2112

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
76
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i think segua's talking about Koi no Kami-sama that haya5s1 mentioned, not about the two u mentioned.
Edit: well... i also mentioned komi's one-shot Island... so that could be a possibility be the reason for his use of plural speach
 
Last edited:

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Probably, but he spoke in plural so better one info to much then to less :amuse
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey, Double Arts in the top 20 for manga again. Jump, finally realizing you fucked up?
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey, Double Arts in the top 20 for manga again. Jump, finally realizing you fucked up?
Is it really? Didn't a lot of the big boys come out this month as well (i.e. One Piece, etc...)? If so way to fuck up WSJ. How I hate thee and love thee at the same time. Argh, why did this series get canceled before Haken? I will never understand that decision.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
and this being why i think it can't all be as simple as it played out. though perhaps he chose to end the series there rather than risk a more abrupt ending
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm starting to think that Naoshi just wasn't ready to continue the series. Maybe in a few years we will see him finish it.
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
I'm starting to wonder if all the new series introduced and quickly cancelled in 2008 were just a 40th anniversary publicity stunt.</cynic>
 

Neji2112

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
76
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i get what ur saying, but in what way do you think he wasnt ready to continue?
like he wasnt quite finnished with the details of the story or something like that? or ran into "writers block" and nothing would flow without just making pointless "filler" chapters?

I'm starting to wonder if all the new series introduced and quickly cancelled in 2008 were just a 40th anniversary publicity stunt.</cynic>
wow, that's a new one, not likely but not impossible...
just like with NASA's Space Shuttle Endeavor on friday i think it was... it was about to land but the pilot of the 747 decided to show it off to the crowds at Cocoa Beach FL a second time b4 landing 5 minutes later i watched it all live on TV... all 10-15 minues...lol i laughed when they guessed that that was the reason, till they confirmed it just a moment later.
 
Last edited:

KyuuninX

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

I'm new here but I've been monitoring these forums for a long time and reading DA every chance I got. I love the good work you guys did translating and providing spoilers, and I can honestly say that Double Arts was/is my favorite manga from my favorite Mangaka. And I am also royaly ticked that it got canceled.

Just had to get that out.:p
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
I just can't buy the argument that Komi-sensei himself wasn't ready to continue. He seemed to know exactly where they story was going.

Just to play devil's advocate... I wonder if the series lost popularity because
Kiri was all-powerful. Not only did he have that Flare thing, he was also good at all the arts and cooking and sewing, popular, kind, brave, acrobatic, a perfect gentleman, and he had awesomely aerodynamic hair. A little reckless and heedless of his own safety, but in Jump that's a good thing. Maybe I'm missing something but did Kiri have any flaws at all?

The only other Jump hero like him I can think of is Luffy, and he couldn't swim. :XD I haven't read OP past the Nami arc though, so maybe he's learned by now...
 

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
5,662
Reaction score
299
Gender
Hidden
Country
Venezuela
kiri had at least one flaw:
His sense of style. He just totally sucked there. xD


I'm looking forward to the apple oneshot >.> and I still hope that someday DArts will be continued... and if it's in another magazine >.> it's too awesome to just stop there <.< heck, even the ending was a winner despite being so forced&rushed... argh! I'm getting into hating WSJ editors and readers again >.>
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
heck, even the ending was a winner despite being so forced&rushed... argh! I'm getting into hating WSJ editors and readers again >.>
Pardon? >.>

Hm, his flaw? Flaw... flaw... what was the question again?
I can't think of any. He's a very sympathetic and generally awesome character, jumping straight into my heart. Maybe his flaw is, that he doesn't have one >.>
 

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
5,662
Reaction score
299
Gender
Hidden
Country
Venezuela
okay, Japanese WSJ readers -_-;

as for another possible flaw: "Blond, Black&[orange/yellow] top" -> reminds people of naruto -> gives people stuff to make them immediately dislike it

hmmm >.>; it's just a wild assumption though on that one :p I guess Komi should have had to spice it up a bit by making Kiri into some kind of perv... to keep people at bay with random ecchi (rare) ecchi stuff ._.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
I guess Komi should have had to spice it up a bit by making Kiri into some kind of perv... to keep people at bay with random ecchi (rare) ecchi stuff ._.
Hm, there are so many main characters who are perv-ish. What made Kiri outstanding was exactly that he wasn't this kind of person but literally a 'Mr. Nice Guy' but yet very talented and sympathetic.

Maybe younger teen boys (which is the WSJ audience in Japan) can't stand such characters. Most DArts fans here at MH are older. But any spicing up would have left a whole less impression on me. He was perfect like Komi designed him, simple not suited for the average WSJ audience.
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
kiri had at least one flaw:
His sense of style. He just totally sucked there. xD
LOL you're right there. And he's the child of two tailors.

Don't get me wrong, this centenarian found Kiri endearing too, but I did sometimes find it a bit hard to swallow that he was good at everything. Maybe that's something that would have been addressed later ... like, a genetic engineering experiment?:XD It's unclear exactly what level of technology that world had, since they traveled by horse-drawn carriage and people didn't have telephones in their houses...yet they had plastics and zippers and pop-top cans.
 

KyuuninX

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
LOL you're right there. And he's the child of two tailors.

Don't get me wrong, this centenarian found Kiri endearing too, but I did sometimes find it a bit hard to swallow that he was good at everything. Maybe that's something that would have been addressed later ... like, a genetic engineering experiment?:XD It's unclear exactly what level of technology that world had, since they traveled by horse-drawn carriage and people didn't have telephones in their houses...yet they had plastics and zippers and pop-top cans.
And missiles... Those things were pretty much missiles...
 
Top