Shounen Double Arts by Komi Naoshi

Zoe

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2006
Messages
252
Reaction score
104
Age
44
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Wow, raw came late today.

So it seems the men who help the Sisters are known as Guards.

LOL @ Kiri's dad in the hallway
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Hmm, this is like a-wait-till-scan/trans-comes-out-chapter

So they are meeting up with other sisters. I wonder what they all said - so they're also a guardian among them?
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
It's not a priority yet I guess.
Kiri's parents are AWESOME, and, like, the most understanding people ever. I guess they've had practice from dealing with Kiri's ability.
seems like Elle's got her own specialness. I think it's safe to say it's not going to be a harem, now?

And now we know how old they are! I would have guessed 14 at most...
 
Last edited:

Franckie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
2,902
Reaction score
1,381
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Kiri's power is unusual, from what I've ready anyway for the shounen genre. It's a support-based power that works well in the situation he's currently. If the mangaka chooses to expand upon Kiri's powers, it'll hopefully be built upon the parameters which were introduced right in the beginning of the manga.

As usual, the art isn't too shabby. Seeing the girls break down upon touching Kiri was an interesting sight, but I'm curious what Kiri's serious expression at the end of the chapter constitutes. I'm guessing touching multiple people with Troi within a short span of time strains Kiri's body.
 

Zoe

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2006
Messages
252
Reaction score
104
Age
44
Gender
Female
Country
United States
As usual, the art isn't too shabby. Seeing the girls break down upon touching Kiri was an interesting sight, but I'm curious what Kiri's serious expression at the end of the chapter constitutes. I'm guessing touching multiple people with Troi within a short span of time strains Kiri's body.
Nah

Seeing that one break down like that just made him all the more determined to help out.
 

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
2,677
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Kiri has high dexterity to his advantage also. I want to see Kiri unleash a punch with 1,000 people behind him all connected with their hands on one anothers' shoulders all the way up to Kiri. That's one helluva support technique!

I love the parents. They are the complete opposite of each other but they are well matched. A quiet giant paired up with an outgoing small-person.
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
*imagines Double Arts in a future JUMP Ultimate Stars* A 1-koma Kiri could double the strength of the player character. Kiri and Elle would make an awesome 2 or 3-koma support, if they touched the player character that character's strength would be boosted 3X.:) (Elle by herself could draw out poison... or have an offensive attack like a delayed-reaction death touch... eheheh:sweat) But I digress.
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
It's interesting how Komi decided to use special abilities in this manga; most likely in an attempt to hook the Jump crowd (island, for example, had none of that). But what makes him great is that he's doing it his own way, instead of extracting elements from other manga.
 

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
2,677
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Island was good. It had be drawn by sheer interest as to what could be beyond.

And here, it's a very original story which I thought, "this will become a very popular manga one day."

None the less, he seems to be a great story teller.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It's interesting how Komi decided to use special abilities in this manga; most likely in an attempt to hook the Jump crowd (island, for example, had none of that). But what makes him great is that he's doing it his own way, instead of extracting elements from other manga.
While I agree with you, there is a contingent on 2ch that are pointing out some uncanny resemblances to other media. This type of thing happens all the time on 2ch, but it doesn't appear to be too severe, compared to other manga.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Well the only thing that reminded me of something else was the introduction of elle and other sisters. They remind me a lot of that healing guy in the one shot asklepios (or something like that) of uchimizu touru (mangaka of kain) asklepios

so no coincidence of being recalled by an prolly to most unknown one shot
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Well the only thing that reminded me of something else was the introduction of elle and other sisters. They remind me a lot of that healing guy in the one shot asklepios (or something like that) of uchimizu touru (mangaka of kain) asklepios

so no coincidence of being recalled by an prolly to most unknown one shot
I'm not talking about the plot entirely...more like themes and images...like I meant before, it seems to be a stretch, but 2ch has these people. They've actually gotten a couple people fired for copyright infringement.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
copyright infrigment of? If you state these kind of things then they must prove it? Nah prolly some stupid people who don't like double arts but prolly already know it's going to be a hit

back on topic: that guy is just a mere guardian? So you have those milita sisters, I wonder if they have a guard or are a guard themself?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
copyright infrigment of? If you state these kind of things then they must prove it? Nah prolly some stupid people who don't like double arts but prolly already know it's going to be a hit

back on topic: that guy is just a mere guardian? So you have those milita sisters, I wonder if they have a guard or are a guard themself?
No, I meant in other series...not Double Arts in particular.

I got the impression that it's someone Kiri knows.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Hmm, just as a reminder: but did I miss a Edited Manga? Because I really wanna know more about the sisters etc
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
naw, shrimpy had something urgent come up and nobody else's done a translation as yet.
 

shrimpy

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2007
Messages
1,118
Reaction score
1,447
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
not anymore!

didn't comment on this before, but last chapter dropped a big detail - kiri's power is only one of enhancement or reinforcement. And as far as we know, he's not curing elle, just acting as "life support". While I doubt the author intends to make this have a tragic ending, there's a good possibility elle will die even holding kiri's hand, since she's only being boosted. and this latest chapter mentioned she's only 4 years under her anticipated life expectancy, so things in my mind are looking more bleak for her.

No, i'm not being pessimistic. I just think the author has to develop this more with other "super" people than kiri to make this outcome feasable. like kiri said this chapter, is he really the only one? i think not...
 

LegACy

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
568
Reaction score
690
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
and this latest chapter mentioned she's only 4 years under her anticipated life expectancy, so things in my mind are looking more bleak for her.
no. She was told that she only has 4 years before the seizure come (which, unfortunately, come a lot earlier), but if she keep touching Kiri, it'll never come

anyway, it's been kinda slow lately, and we still don't know how Kiri have that artistic ability (carving that statue in seconds, binding up those knives). Well, chapter 7 seems to promise us more actions tho, I want to see Sui in a pinch!!
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Well I think kiri has a great power to boost elle. But I wonder if kiris power is only that enhancement or reinforcement.

Well I loved this chapter a lot, it makes me respect those sisters even more. Curing people and not being able to touch anyone. It seems they got a guardian but I believe Sui will go with them too. Even if it's without knowing? She could test out heim.

Wonder what's underway with carriage?
 

shrimpy

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2007
Messages
1,118
Reaction score
1,447
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
well, there's no indication Kiri actually cures anything. Even in chapter 5, look carefully at how he explained it. He didn't cure a cold, he merely boosted a person's immune system and they got over it faster. No one has ever recovered from Troi, and as far as we know there's no natural way to fight it.

What I meant by mentioning Elle's age 20 thing is the fact that her body didn't hold out as good as it was expected to, so she's already on the edge. If Kiri's ability is just boosting, then he may have only bought her time, not "stopped the seizures forever."

Well, although I'm sure my logic is sound, for the sake of the series the author wouldn't dare off a major character like that. But, I see the strong possibility he'll be able to do something like make her go into seizures while holding Kiri's hand, or maybe start disappearing without seizures--something way later on--to add a good element of suspense to the comic. The only solution I can foresee then would be dependent on them finding another special power user. (does this make more sense than what I wrote above?) Just my 2 cents.
 
Top