Shounen Double Arts by Komi Naoshi

Shindou

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2007
Messages
94
Reaction score
40
Gender
Hidden
Country
Poland
Elle so cuuuuute with love is in the air.
Indeed.

I hope upcoming battles will be longer a bit...
 

kaloo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
204
Reaction score
1
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What's wrong with fights only lasting a chapter? Usually you hear the opposite complaint, that the fights are dragging on.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
What's wrong with fights only lasting a chapter? Usually you hear the opposite complaint, that the fights are dragging on.
I agree with you.

Imo these short fights are good. Long fights would be meanignless given the stronger opponents they'll get later on: gazelle

I loved the way of dancing and yeah martial arts is founded on dancing
 

Raijatsu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
1,107
Reaction score
62
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
This was so beautiful.
Seriuosly...I'm speechless.
Both style and pace of this fighting chapter were awesome.
 

Quetz

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2008
Messages
496
Reaction score
18
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Really good chapter. Looking back, kiri always was pulling elle along, and their growth as a pair is clear and evident.
 

LegACy

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
568
Reaction score
690
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Heh. Great fighting style. But still, I think they're just too good... I mean, how the heck could they dodge that wile rain with only dancing? Sure, the double speed and strength from Flare help a lot, but it's not enough to dodge them. They would need reflex, movement reading, positioning, etc etc that's not covered up with either dancing nor Flare!
Also, I know someone might argue semantics on the kana but i thought the attack was "vile rain"...
You should keep on translating then, haha ^^
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
i like one-chapter battles! Shows that the manga-ka knows what he's doing.XD

Elle was trained to believe that she could never beat a Gazelle in battle and to always run away. But her advantage in the dance training gave her the needed boost of confidence to start taking the lead in attack as well. I wonder if there's something else at work though, some kind of deeper bond that is allowing them to read each other so perfectly... like Legacy said, it may not be be just Flare. How long have they been practicing? Less than a week?
 

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
15,816
Reaction score
7,985
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Ahhh actually I don't see Double Arts as a heavily plot-driven, so these things happen ^^ It's more of a fun manga that moving into the story at its own pace, short but precise. I like it that way though :p We don't really have to think too deeply aboutthe plot, the development, etc. Just relax and enjoy the fun manga every week :D

Well, that's just my opinion ^^
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I've found the plot to still be there and developing, but it's more quick stabs at the subject matter to propel the story forward at present. i'm sure a bigger continuous arc will follow now we've hit some sorta turning point
 

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
15,816
Reaction score
7,985
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Yes, I don't mean it to not have a plot. More like the plot is light and simple, there's no deep/hard plots yet. The manga is actually doing really well for a story driven by a single event per chapter (or just a few) format.

But yeah, so far that's how it is. I'm sure we'll be introduced by heavier twists and turns later in the story.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The plot has been to light for too long. It's like floating around in limbo. @_@

Style and no substance at this point.
 

LegACy

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
568
Reaction score
690
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Sigh...
it is still in the early phase. Double Arts seems like a long story, (may be not One Piece caliber, more of a 300-chaptered series, like Samurai Deeper Kyo, RAVE, etc) so it's still in introductory part. One piece chapter 22 is still about the fight with Buggy. Not to mention DA is a light-hearted series

And, by doing it slowly, it's as if the series will run for a long time in WSJ ^^
 

Sherlock Holmes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2007
Messages
1,628
Reaction score
173
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
......Okay am I the only one who notices that Luci Zezu,or whatever that guy's name is looks exactly like Axel from kingdom hearts? Every time I see him I'm waiting for him to say "got it memorized?"

...And I think that DA has been doing great so far, the plot is moving nicely but...How long can DA keep this up? I mean, I don't want this manga to get canceled... I wasn't nervous before because I knew that Dougashi would be canceled before DA was, but now that dougashi was canceled, I kinda want to know how DA is doing in Japan. Anyone got the shounen jump rankings?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
www.livejournal.com/weeklyjump

go there every week. the series performs badly in the magazine, but volume 1 has sold substantially well. and i believe shrimpy called out on how he was first to point out luci zezu being like axel.
 

Sherlock Holmes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2007
Messages
1,628
Reaction score
173
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
...so I am not crazy? He really looks like him? Good,I was afraid that I played too much kingdom hearts LOL.

Thanks for the link...I hope DA is not canceled...
 

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
15,816
Reaction score
7,985
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Yeah, if you guys want to know how it is (for those who don't know).

For WSJ, the Japanese readers can send a postcard, voting for their favorite series. And the Table of Contents order reflects this (although for new series, it is only effective after 8 weeks I think). So like DA, you actually have to wait for the 9th chapter and check the ToC of the magazine of that particular issue, for example.

The most popular will start at the top, and the least at the bottom. Double Arts is doing badly in the ToC I think. It's practically last technically second last/third last (or at least it's at the bottom part atm), since Jaguar will always be last in the ToC.

So then: readers' postcards + volume sales + chief editor's decision = whether or not a manga stays or got cancelled.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
The editors seemed to have early faith in it, and early TOC positions and the second cover support a fanbase. But the real way this series is sticking out is having a top ten volume in the taiyosha rankings the week of release. if it achieves that again and again it should keep on going.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I still think that the author just put it there, because there are so many strong series that he doesn't want it to disrupt the balance of the toc.
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
There seem to be a lot of new series jostling for attention right now too, and some old series are starting to hit their marks again, so this may just be a temporary drop.

Speaking of rankings... presumably DA's position for the past few weeks might be a reflection on the content of the chapters that were running 6-8 weeks before, anyone remember what those chapters were about? Not saying there was anything wrong with them, just wondering...
 

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
15,816
Reaction score
7,985
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
It was around the time the fight with Abro until the Heine short -story.
 
Top