Chapter Edens Zero Chapter 169 Spoilers & Discussion

NegaiFreak

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a really good setup chapter. I think my favorite moment would have to be Weisz and Laguna's conversation, along with Shiki's declaration over the intercom.

Shiki maturing over the course of the series has definitely made him far more interesting in my eyes, even if he does have his childish moments like with his new mechanical eye being able to see through clothes. I really like that him showing his scar is a sign of him finally breaking ties with seeing Ziggy as family, and instead will do whatever it takes in order to stop him.

Xiaomei provides us a neat little update as to the state of affairs post-Aoi War, and now the story's moved ahead three years. I have to wonder what changes to the characters there'll be. I'd be down for some cool new outfits.

As to the timeskip, let's see how it pans out before making criticisms. I know stories that've done the same thing didn't work all that well, so I'd like to see how this plays before rushing to judgements. Though I will say, I'm still intrigued.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree. Really good transitional chapter. I like the eye thing too, that's a neat touch for Shiki. Laguna thing was solid too and Wiesz's disappointment made me chuckle. Part of what I found funny was how those panels were drawn. That was just visually very funny.

We'll see how the timeskip thing works out. Can't really judge those until after the fact but in the short term it's going to be interesting to see how much Mashima switches up his character designs.

Guy2506

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Aland Islands
I agree. Really good transitional chapter. I like the eye thing too, that's a neat touch for Shiki. Laguna thing was solid too and Wiesz's disappointment made me chuckle. Part of what I found funny was how those panels were drawn. That was just visually very funny.
Weisz getting his fantasies shattered never ceases to be funny.

Namikaze360

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
So 3 years have passed. Not a bad transitional chapter and it makes me wonder how strong each crew member has gotten. Really hope to see Laguna's and Rebecca's OD 🤞. Let's hope this time skip is good and hopefully there is no tournament arc or something along the lines just yet.

One thing I was wondering is the age of the characters. We know Shiki is probable 15-16, but there was no confirmation. We got card descriptions for each member but it didn't specify their age. So I'm really curious about how old they are now post time skip.

Cheesecake

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Nothing much in this chapter but it's a transitional chapter.

But first, Laguna's ASSSSS... so perfect :derp

Weisz reaction when Laguna entered the bathroom is just reminds me of Onizuka sensei from GTO 🤣

Shiki looks dope in the cover page, he looks like a shichibukai (maybe because of the coat) Ngl, Shiki's past is just too cute.

Whenever theres a chapter with xiao mei, the chapter will always be good.

Next arc Kaede confirmed! Cant wait more Elsie and Justice plot. EZ probably found young Elsie in Kaede, no doubt. I want to add that why Elsie didnt kill Ziggy in Aoi arc when she met him, I gave a lot of thoughts, there might be a huge reason why she didnt want to kill him. She told Shiki that Ziggy saved her life in the past. Few chapters ago, Ziggy told her that he should left her alone and let her die. Probably she was in a near death situation when she was saved, and that's why she said she kinda owed Ziggy.

To conclude Aoi saga, the only thing I'm disappointed is again, Where the fak is Elsie all the time, and no explanation 😒 Otherwise, love the story. Lots of character developments especially our main casts. I dont care about the action tbh, I cared for the plot.

Dimitri1220

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
For those of you who want better feats, I think you guys will finally get your wish lol. Look how busted Natsu got with just 10 months of training by himself (yea he had Happy, but I don't think he helped much :yodawg ). This time, the crew had 3 years + Spa of Edens + Xeno training + simulation where your training gets multipled by 5. And we also know that for Shiki to even get near Xeno in power, let alone Ziggy, he needs to be at the very least continental.

Last edited:

Zekiel

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I like this chapter. Laguna confessed how much he needs to be real with himself and joined EZ for real. Great

Shiki got some major character development. Something that the dragon flame boy was lacking in FT. Shiki is no longer that naive innocent young kid who saw everyone who was human as a potential friend.

Because he was isolated on a planet of robots that naivety was understood. But after seeing how cruel reality is and after understanding how corrupt ziggy has become, shiki cares more for those who aren't even his friends and desires to protect everything with his crew helping him.

It's great. He's progressing. Now we have a three year timeskip. We'll see how shiki and the crew has changed even more.

Aoi arc had its ups and downs for sure. Pacing being that major one. Hopefully we can have a more exposition based arc with many more fight scenes

Last edited:

Cheesecake

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Nothing much in this chapter but it's a transitional chapter.

But first, Laguna's ASSSSS... so perfect :derp

Weisz reaction when Laguna entered the bathroom is just reminds me of Onizuka sensei from GTO 🤣

Shiki looks dope in the cover page, he looks like a shichibukai (maybe because of the coat) Ngl, Shiki's past is just too cute.

Whenever theres a chapter with xiao mei, the chapter will always be good.

Next arc Kaede confirmed! Cant wait more Elsie and Justice plot. EZ probably found young Elsie in Kaede, no doubt. I want to add that why Elsie didnt kill Ziggy in Aoi arc when she met him, I gave a lot of thoughts, there might be a huge reason why she didnt want to kill him. She told Shiki that Ziggy saved her life in the past. Few chapters ago, Ziggy told her that he should left her alone and let her die. Probably she was in a near death situation when she was saved, and that's why she said she kinda owed Ziggy.

To conclude Aoi saga, the only thing I'm disappointed is again, Where the fak is Elsie all the time, and no explanation 😒 Otherwise, love the story. Lots of character developments especially our main casts. I dont care about the action tbh, I cared for the plot.
Forgot to add something, the last page seems like Shiki is in Kaede already. The background looks like medieval european towns, just like magnolia in FT. Remember the scene about Elsie and Justice past? The background definitely looks like the last panel from this chapter.

Taris

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Weisz getting his fantasies shattered never ceases to be funny.
The best character of this show just hoarding his luck for the big jackpot :cheez
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

And we also know that for Shiki to even get near Xeno in power, let alone Ziggy.
Stop smoking dude, lol:epicfacepalm. Xeno are one of the greatest heroes from the distant past , lol. We barelly saw 10% of his real power (Xeno at his pick ->>>>> Ziggy)

Karnak

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
It was a bittersweet chapter for me. Shiki has new crew members but lost one of the original shining stars. He won't get to use his mechanical eye on Witch :biblethump

My prediction is that Weisz will take over the mantle of Shield of Eden's. :thumbs

I didn't think we would hit a timeskip this early in the series but I'm excited to see what's next! I hope we get to see some physical growth from the crew and some newer designs.

Kaede sure looks like Magnolia from Fairy Tail if that is where Shiki is in the last panel. Maybe we'll get a few cameos again :asa

Jintohaku

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
While Shiki's proclamation this chapter is very similar to the one he made in ch 104, it seems now his priorities are switched. Stopping Ziggy has become the most important thing, not just because he's a threat to the crew, but because he's a threat to the universe. That sets a direct contrast to his motivations from previous arcs where he claimed his friends were more important and he wasn't trying to be some hero of justice. Now it seems he's chosen to become a savior of the universe which also makes a distinction from him and the previous MC's of Hiro's works. Haru was thrust into the savior of the world position when he fished up Plue. Natsu's battles were primarily about the survival of his guild, but he ends up saving the world in the process. Shiki has willingly chosen to put himself in the position of Savior of the universe and has that as his main motivation. That's a nice progression of his character (still don't think Witch needed to die for this)

As for his post ts design..... I don't really like it. I think it's the pants. Or maybe it's the belt and the shorter sleeves on his shirt Idk. Maybe it'll look better in the next chapter when we get a full shot of it.

Rikudou King

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
That eye thing was funny, and I'm curious if it'll come into play later down the line. I liked Shiki's declaration, and while it seems similar to his past one, it feels like he has a whole new view of things. Nice to hear what happen in the Aoi cosmos, though I wish we got to see more then a single scene of events. I wonder if the Union being in charge will be dealt with later on. Older Shiki looks quite cool from the back.

Star Frost

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a good chapter.

I like the Weisz and Laguna interaction. Weisz still haven't warmed up to Laguna but something tells me those two are gonna be close buddies:derp

Shiki showcased some great character development. He's no longer the naive and innocent little kid that sees almost everyone as his friend and mature to see how cruel reality is outside the planet he grew up in. He now wants to stop Ziggy not just for him and his crew but for the universe. Also, I feel like his new mechanical eye would be of good use to him in the future. His older self looks cool from the back in that last page.

A timeskip was really unexpected, but I'm looking forward to see how everyone changed and how strong they've gotten. Mainly Rebecca since I'm so invested in her ether gear, and if she and Laguna got their OD. I expect that we're gonna get chapters of them showcasing their improvement. Speaking of the timeskip, it makes me bring back Rebecca's time leap to the future. Did she already changed that tragic outcome where everyone died which led up to World No. 31, or could it possibly have anything to do with some else coming up?

Nemiades

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
I liked was when Weisz ask Laguna about thar why he tell him own history. It's was funny.

Dimitri1220

Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
The best character of this show just hoarding his luck for the big jackpot :cheez
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Stop smoking dude, lol:epicfacepalm. Xeno are one of the greatest heroes from the distant past , lol. We barelly saw 10% of his real power (Xeno at his pick ->>>>> Ziggy)
Guess you must've missed the part where Xeno said he's fodder to Ziggy, and that was before he got Wormhole.