Language - English Study Thread - Polish your forums communication skills! | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Language English Study Thread - Polish your forums communication skills!

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: The English Thread!! XD

eni said:
eileen!! :luv (you love this kao too, eh? :D)
:luv :luv

Thank you so much for offering your help. I never cared about English during school time and a few years after school I started using the Internet and decided to study about multi- and crosscultures and suddenly needed to read and write English soooo much. It's a shame I can't do it better - but i will become better! xD
That's the spirit!!!!!! :yelling :yelling :yelling

oh my :blink ... three months? that's hell :XD
Ya, you got that right. :oh

Yes, I had TOEFL in mind, but wasn't sure if it's the right thing when searching for a job. I don't want to study in a foreign country (maybe - just maybe - studying my master's degree there), but i don't need all this business conversation (TOEIC) either.
ESOL offers different levels and also a certificate for teacher (maybe useful as a socialworker in a foreign country? :blink), so far this seems to be the best, i think ... hmhmhm ...
This will help you decide whether you want to take TOEFL or TOEIC. As for ESOL, by far, that's the toughest English proficiency test available. Also, if you were to take ESOL, which want are you going to take? The business one? http://www.cambridgeesol.org/students/index.htm They have different exams. o.O Aside from all these, try SAT! :nuts If you can score 800/800 for critical reading, your boss will kneel down and worship you. :nuts

Oh, thank you. This page looks great.
I like the quiz page. So much more helpful then just reading texts :clap
XD When I go online to look for study materials, I always look for quizzes. Reading pages and pages of informations on boring grammar will only further deteriorate your grammar mastery. XD Thus, quizzes FTW!!!! :clap

Pevee

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Eileen said:
If you can score 800/800 for critical reading, your boss will kneel down and worship you. :nuts
Heck yes he will!
Can anyone take the SAT? I thought it's only for middle/high school kids. Well, I think it's tougher than TOEFL, but then again, I'm a high school kid, what do I know. As far as I'm preparing for my SAT, the critical reading part is hell. The math part is pretty much middle school math, and the writing/grammar section only needs common sense and your familiarity of the language.

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States

Pevee said:
Heck yes he will!
Can anyone take the SAT? I thought it's only for middle/high school kids. Well, I think it's tougher than TOEFL, but then again, I'm a high school kid, what do I know. As far as I'm preparing for my SAT, the critical reading part is hell. The math part is pretty much middle school math, and the writing/grammar section only needs common sense and your familiarity of the language.
Anyone can take SAT. Anyone. It is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tougher than TOEFL, that's one thing for sure. Math is a breeze, I hardly study anything and still get a decent score, but critical reading sure is hell. Writing is not too bad since I scored 11. :p Grammar, hmm...you just need to be familiar with language (which I'm not).

Pevee

Reaction score
Country
United States

Eileen said:
Anyone can take SAT. Anyone. It is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tougher than TOEFL, that's one thing for sure. Math is a breeze, I hardly study anything and still get a decent score, but critical reading sure is hell. Writing is not too bad since I scored 11. :p Grammar, hmm...you just need to be familiar with language (which I'm not).
11????
You can go to www.collegeboard.com and sign up for one of their services that will give you one SAT questions a day to help you practice because they will tell you the right answer and why it is correct and stuff. After a couple months, it really helps. I've been doing it for a couple of years now. It's really helpful, except for the fact that they don't have the passage reading questions. But it's good for working with your writing section.
btw. I just got my PSAT score back (it's like a mini SAT) and I got perfect score on the math!!!! help me celebrate!

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States

Pevee said:
11????
You can go to www.collegeboard.com and sign up for one of their services that will give you one SAT questions a day to help you practice because they will tell you the right answer and why it is correct and stuff. After a couple months, it really helps. I've been doing it for a couple of years now. It's really helpful, except for the fact that they don't have the passage reading questions. But it's good for working with your writing section.
btw. I just got my PSAT score back (it's like a mini SAT) and I got perfect score on the math!!!! help me celebrate!
:woo Full score on math. :woo That's brilliant.
Writing as in the essay part. XD 11/12

I remembered that collegeboard question of the day thing. XD I used to do one a day but never really improved. I resorted back to my collegebook blue book and princeton review. After 3 months, I improved 120 points on critical reading. Phew.....relief...

Pevee

Reaction score
Country
United States

Well, i guess the math part isn't something to be so proud about.
But 11/12? That's really good, I'd be glad if I got 9.... I suck at writing, I just can't think in that short amount of time. I would be like, "OMG! I spent 10 minutes writing the intro!!!". Yeah, that's me.
Btw, which SAT prep book do you think is the best? I started buying random ones. I think I should maybe just get the good one.

Anbu_BD2021

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

The SAT is evil! That said, i got a 7 or 8 on my writing but a 760 on my reading? Go ahead and try to figure that one out (my theory is that they couldnt read my handwriting from the scan since even i couldnt). The funny thing about it is that you never use proper grammar in real life situations, I've had this discussion with a former teacher (taught spanish) and the fact is that proper english depends on where you live. In one part of the United States something said one way means something completely different in another section less than 100 miles away...

eni if you think 3 months is hell try 12+ years ;) it never gets to be fun, gets more complex, and NEVER ends. If you need to know it for a test then by all means study it as hard as you can, but for other purposes dont work about how accurate your grammar is, so long as its passable (which your written grammar seems to be)!

To furhter this point, using the previous question as an example: if you said to me "If i was a millionare, i would build a big house" it sounds perfectly fine to me. Grammatically it seems to me that "was" is actually correct being that millionare is singular, and the same can be said for rain (though thats slightly more complicated).

Pevee

Reaction score
Country
United States

760 on Critical Reading, I venerate you...

Anbu_BD2021

Reaction score
Country
United States

thanks, could have done better though :(

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I had no idea this thread existed before today :O

Well, I'll do my best to help out. I'm not the best at grammar ever, especially when it comes to the "h's" ( have, has, had, etc ) but otherwise I think I can help.

Anbu_BD2021

Reaction score
Country
United States

well this thread seems pretty dead, so i figured i'd try this. let's see who can spot the mistakes in this blog i found online (they weren't intentional, but they should stick out at least for those studying for english proficiency tests).

"Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on Mercury News and it's an interesting read covering numerous Blizzard topics about the games and the company. For example did you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk at Blizz. Yes Blizzard really are that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding their next game titles. Please let one of them be D3 :)"

Pevee

Reaction score
Country
United States

"Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on (I don't know about this one. It's probably right though.) Mercury News, and it's (can't use it here because the IT would be President) an interesting read ,covering numerous Blizzard topics about the games (which games?) and the company. For example, did you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk at Blizz? Yes Blizzard really is that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding its next game titles. Please let one of them be D3 smile"

I'm not a native speaker. :p

Anbu_BD2021

Reaction score
Country
United States

Pevee said:
"Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on (I don't know about this one. It's probably right though.) Mercury News, and it's (can't use it here because the IT would be President) an interesting read ,covering numerous Blizzard topics about the games (which games?) and the company. For example, did you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk at Blizz? Yes Blizzard really is that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding its next game titles. Please let one of them be D3 smile"

I'm not a native speaker. :p
hehe u overuse commas, but so do i so i can't really say much about that ;). the "it's" actually can be used there because "it" refers to the interview. you did manage to pick up on most of the stuff that i saw though :)

Pevee

Reaction score
Country
United States

Anbu_BD2021 said:
hehe u overuse commas, but so do i so i can't really say much about that ;). the "it's" actually can be used there because "it" refers to the interview. you did manage to pick up on most of the stuff that i saw though :)
Yes, I have problems with commas. I just overuse them, all the time. You should have seen my research paper.
The interview wasn't mentioned in the previous sentence. Yes, it makes logical sense that the "it" would be the interview, but since the previous sentence does not specifically contain the word "interview", I think "it" would rather refers to the president of the company instead.

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States

Anbu_BD2021 said:
well this thread seems pretty dead, so i figured i'd try this. let's see who can spot the mistakes in this blog i found online (they weren't intentional, but they should stick out at least for those studying for english proficiency tests).

"Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on Mercury News and it's an interesting read covering numerous Blizzard topics about the games and the company. For example did you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk at Blizz. Yes Blizzard really are that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding their next game titles. Please let one of them be D3 :)"
Hey, I'll give this a try with my limited knowledge. XD

Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on Mercury News and it's an interesting read covering numerous Blizzard topics about the games and the company. For example, do you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk in Blizz? Yes,Blizzard really is that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding its next game title, "Please let one of them be D3 smile."

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on Mercury News and it's an interesting read covering numerous Blizzard topics about the games and the company. For example did you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk at Blizz. Yes Blizzard really are that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding their next game titles. Please let one of them be D3
Blizzard eh? Love their work...

Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on Mercury News and it's an interesting read (Pevee is correct here, bad transition, should have said something like "the article was an interesting read") covering ("which covered") numerous Blizzard (redundant) topics about the (their) games and the company (and how they run their company, or their company). For example (a comma is needed here) did you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk (folk isn't a good word here, needed another term, like workers.) at Blizz (It's considered bad writing to suddenly shorten a name for no apparent reason.). Yes, Blizzard really (in writing, "really" as well as "very" aren't good words to use.) are (is) that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding their (its) next line-up of game titles. Please let one of them be D3

Rurouni Gio

Reaction score

Hi~, dudes... i was taking a Survey, and it had this question:

[] Are you or were you once a fob?

Can anyone tell what in the hell does "Fob" mean? please *-*?

Anbu_BD2021

Reaction score
Country
United States

lol only meaning for FOB that ive ever known is (language warning)
Fat Old Bastard
but that cant possibly be what it means in this case lol

n8starr

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

^^LOL haven't heard that more than once but its funny to see it on here. Yes, that's a great resource, urbandictionary. You can't exactly take everything you read on there for fact, but i've passed it along to a few non-english natives and they love it, one girl was able to stump her English teacher in the Czech Republic, a native speaker! Anyway with the last part of that paragraph:

"There's also a rather evasive response regarding *their* next line-up of game titles."

You could still use "their" here, referring to the company as a whole or even the people in the company who make the games. It's another instance of the passive voice, really either or is ok here, it's usually based on whatever you feel like saying at the time, at least in conversation. I would use "their" more times than "its".