Shounen Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Wow, 16 hours is a crazy long time. It felt kinda weird that this entire segment just went by like that, whereas the previous mini-arcs were much more "developed", so to speak. I guess there's little way of showing Takemaru's ability in action since it's just rewinding, hence how condensed the chapter felt. Takemaru looked really cool on page 18, btw :nod

Now what next? It seems like Hiina is there for nothing. Sumio's role has been a contact point with Suuki, but so far Hiina has done little but attempt to use her powers to find a door (but failed) and faint :/ I wonder if she will have a role to play in whatever happens next.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well Hiina's role was to be the cool head looking over Sumio and Takemaru, seeing as they butt heads way too often. I believe, had they gone without her, it probably wouldn't have gone as smoothly.
 
Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
That's true as well (I did think of that but didn't note it down in my prev post ^^), but I just feel like she was useless, and if she had to be there as a peacemaker sort of role, Sakaki could have utilized her/her powers in some way as well... :/ Which is what I hope will happen if anything happens next and they don't just merrily return to regroup with everyone else.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just watched the VOMIC. The voices sound alright so far. I wasn't expecting Sumio to have such a deep voice but I guess it works pretty well. Wasn't expecting them to voice the diary like that but I guess that was an interesting feature.

Really want to hear Enigma though...
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Chapter 29 was pretty awesome.
It looks like this miniarc will feature the entire cast working together. So no Shigeru powers yet. I bet she'll be saved until the end of the e-test arc since she's the only one with an unknown power at this point.
 

masgrande

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
668
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
The teacher from Takemaru's flashback is a freaking psycho, atleast we know why Takemaru reacted so mad when he heard the name. Is good to see them finally working together to get a password, this is really getting more interesting:D.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Now I think the teacher being Enigma is just a red herring. I have no idea who else could be Enigma, but he's just too obvious at the moment.

He's definitely an accomplice though. And a murderer, by the looks of things.
 

Keino

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2011
Messages
81
Reaction score
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The latest two chapters were awesome. at the end of chapter 29 it ended by Sumio saying leave the rest to him but I'm not sure what he is going to do but I am looking forward to it.
Kijima(teacher) personality is like day and night and Kenji stressed/emphasized this which was great imo. I think that he works for Enigma rather than him being Enigma.
I really thought that we were going to see what kind of power Shigure has but it doesn't look like it but you never know :amuse
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I enjoyed chapter 28 a lot.It seems as if we came a step closer to Enigma's identity.
Chapter 29 was very shonen-esque and thus pretty predictable.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Chapter 30:
Well that ends that arc. It was fairly short, but it was nice to see everybody working together for once. Did Shigeru use her powers though? It seems sort of ambiguous.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Shigeru's powers is extremely ambiguous, that's for sure. But it seemed as if her power is somewhat familiar to Sumio's. That and there seems to be a double personality mixed in.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Shigeru's powers is extremely ambiguous, that's for sure. But it seemed as if her power is somewhat familiar to Sumio's. That and there seems to be a double personality mixed in.
It felt a lot like she had a Yami-Shigeru. The problem at hand wasn't necessarily a difficult one. No one just had the foresight to think that the harpoons would come from below.
 
Last edited:

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Hmm,i wonder what her powers could be.They seem to be similiar to Sumio,which would also make sense somehow,as they grew up together,but it would be very lame.
I like the idea of Yami-Shigeru,because that would make her at least a bit interesting,but that reminds me of the shadow again...
 

Keino

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2011
Messages
81
Reaction score
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Another interesting chapter. The teamwork was done well and looks like everyone is becoming better at using their "talent", while helping each other.
I agree that maybe she has some kind of split personality and for some reason she started crying which could have been her other personality. Next chapter her talent would probably be revealed.
 

momogoldfish

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 24, 2009
Messages
85
Reaction score
103
Gender
Female
Country
New Zealand
Well the password is
"HIJACK"
so it suggests that Shigeru might have been taken over by something or someone.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Someone on a different forum provided a rather interesting theory:

Gamria said:
First, look at Yumikawa's plane ticket on this page:

http://www.mangareader.net/enigma/28/11

There are 3 notable details on the ticket:

1. The flight is on February 29th.
2. Yumikawa's seating is at G 7. Notice anything familiar about this format?
3. The airline is Queen Airlines/Airways, but the exact flight number is obscured by the tea stain. Only the "Q' part is left out in the open.

Now recall these details:

1. February 29th is the same as Sumio's birthday AND Password #5
2. Yumikawa's seating is at G 7. Password #6 is A24
3. The flight number is "Q' something. Password #2 is Q-510

Furthermore, the Unleavable Room's monitor room showed a bunch of surveillance footage on a plane's cockpit, and Password #1 that they just got is "HIJACK"

Going by these details, it's tempting to suggest that the passwords have some sort of connection to an airplane flight.

But then what would Password #3 "Kurisu Ryou" and Password #4 "classmate" point to? There's no way Kurisu will have anything to do with a plane hijacking, right?

It never occurred to me, but this ongoing theme of a plane flight might hold some importance.
 
Last edited:

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Wow. That theory is very convincing, and now I'm absolutely certain that it is correct.

I never thought that Sakaki would put so many small details into her manga. Now I'm going to be paying even closer attention than I did before.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Good eye, that person has :) That's a very convincing theory, and the coincidences are too many and too great to be ignored.

But I wonder if A24 is also a seat number or not (seems to be what Gamria is proposing), since most planes don't usually have more than around 9 seats in each row. So that leaves A24, Kurisu Ryou, Classmate as the passwords that right now don't really seem to link to the whole theme of the airticket. Maybe Kurisu will reveal something later on if Takemaru were to mention something by chance as a trigger.

As for Shigeru's ability, I agree it would be really lame if it were some kind of foretelling ability like Sumio's. I think some sort of dual/split personality is likely ("Do you realize, Shigeru? You still... Aren't me...!!"), but it doesn't really explain how she was able to know the harpoons were coming from below. How ambiguous :blink
 
Top