Shounen Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I still think it'll be 7 volumes. You see, if there are seven, then they'll have every e-test participant (except for Kurisu Ryo) on the spine. That would be nice. =)
I, also, think Enigma going to have total of 7 volumes.
 

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Even there is popularity poll, it doesn't mean it's safe. Mieru Hito, P2, and Samurai Usagi also announced popularity poll, but these three are still got axed; the results are released in its final volume. So, the popularity poll doesn't protect Enigma from being cancelled.

Also, Enigma does have pretty good tank sales, but it doesn't mean it's not going to be axed. Shonen Jump still consider ranking is more important (I think), so even series have high early volume sales (like Double Arts and Ane Dokii) it'll be cancel. And this is same goes to Enigma, too.



For this year, I don't think the new series going to start on December/late November, I think it might come early/middle November. The reason I'm saying is it looks like there is high possibility that Murata will return in Shonen Jump (or it can be Young Jump). Murata said his new work has confirmed to be serialized on about two weeks ago (plus, he also said he finished working on chapter 2 on few days after), which means Sakaki should also receive notice to finish the series within 4 to 5 chapters. Since it already passed two weeks, I think it is not weird that Sakaki might end her on first week of November, and new series might going to start at same time or after Enigma cancelled.

True, ture. I forgot that the axed series suddenly going to have ending which makes St&rs is equally in danger as Enigma. So, it is up to how many new series there will be; if there are two new series, then either one of them will survive; or if there are three new series, then two of them will be axed for sure.

It is too early to judge Kagami and Kurogane would be cushion for Enigma. Kagami did drop, but it still didn't drop to bottom 5, so we should consider Kagami as cushion when it actually drops to bottom 5. For Kurogane, so far it is going same route as Enigma and St&rs (getting color pages in early chapter), but it doesn't mean it going to drop to bottom 5 like them.
Yup, I agree with all of it. Mainly I just want to feel like there's SOME hope for Enigma and all. :P
 

jose

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
91
Reaction score
12
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Enigma is dead, and will be canceled in issue 47.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
For next time, if Sakaki still want to do suspence series in Shonen Jump, then she should do mix of suspense and action like Reversi (manga from Bakuman).

However, if she still want to do pure suspence series, then she should move to Jump SQ.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Enigma is dead, and will be canceled in issue 47.
WilliamK said:
Confirmed?? :(
I'm curious too. I haven't heard any officially confirmation about it being canceled just yet, so if you do have a source, I'd much appreciate it.
 

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
2,091
Reaction score
939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
I'm curious too. I haven't heard any officially confirmation about it being canceled just yet, so if you do have a source, I'd much appreciate it.
Same here, since the rankings haven't been released yet - sides ST&RS and Enigma were the ones vying for last place lately alternating between the two. Well its not as if Enigma wasn't prepared for this.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Confirmed?? :(
I'm curious too. I haven't heard any officially confirmation about it being canceled just yet, so if you do have a source, I'd much appreciate it.
Same here, since the rankings haven't been released yet - sides ST&RS and Enigma were the ones vying for last place lately alternating between the two. Well its not as if Enigma wasn't prepared for this.
I think jose is just predicting that Enigma going to end on Issue 47.

There isn't confirmation for Enigma's cancellation, but if you read chapter 54, you should also think that Enigma will end on Issue 47.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I still don't think Enigma can just end at the same chapter as the character popularity poll results are released, or end before its release.

I don't think that kind of case has ever happened before in the history of WSJ.

For now, I think that to estimate the earliest possible chapter that Enigma could end, we need to look at which issue has a colour page (CP) for Enigma first, because for every WSJ series I've seen, every chapter containing the results of a character popularity poll always gets a CP. Given everything, the earliest possible issue Enigma could end at is Issue 49, or chapter 57, with the CP and poll results revealed in the previous issue and chapter. Even after acting realistically and extremely pessimistic with this explanation, I still don't feel like Enigma will end here either.

P.S. Enigma getting a CP at Issue 47 is out of the question as it's been revealed that it's not.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

I forgot to mention that e54 is already out now here.
I think I'll try translating it too if kewl still doesn't catch up.
 
Last edited:

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I still don't think Enigma can just end at the same chapter as the character popularity poll results are released, or end before its release.

I don't think that kind of case has ever happened before in the history of WSJ.
Actually, someone on the WSJ thread gave an example when it was brought up there' so it's not impossible.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Okay, but they were all given CPs, right?

Also, kewl released his chapter 53 translation out here.

And here's his chapter 54 translation.

---------- Post added October 24, 2011 at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was October 23, 2011 at 10:41 PM ----------

Mieru Hito, P2, and Samurai Usagi
Sorry, I didn't understand your earlier post.

Okay. I've read the latest chapter's translation and I'm going to be completely honest now. Starting now, I'm actually hating the manga. And for once, I'm also under the strong belief that Enigma will end within the next few weeks.

Throughout the latest chapter, Sakaki is (again) abusing the flashbacks as a "deus ex machina" to explain how everything came up to be in the current storyline. But it's even worse now because the flashbacks are very inconsistent, anticlimatic and farfetched. Some people may have already seen how inconsistent, anticlimatic and farfetched Enigma was in the past, but I don't think any person will be arguing that it's gotten much worse now. As of this chapter, she's really rushing the storyline, stuffing as much explanation as she can to make this already very implausible plot as plausible as possible before resolving it, but still failing to address many of the inconsistencies. I'll explain what I mean in a later post.

But for now, with it's declining storytelling quality, I'm declaring Enigma over within the next few weeks. I guess Enigma really is a good candidate for cancellation because it really may have been too inconsistent, anticlimatic and farfetched already for the readers to enjoy it properly.

If I were forced to choose between Enigma or ST&RS to cancel out of the WSJ magazine right now, I'd definitely choose Enigma. At least ST&RS still has some potential. As of this chapter, Enigma had ran out of it completely.
 
Last edited:

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
This is how I see things.

Chapter 55:
Page 19:
Sumio: Enigma has been... destroyed.
Shigeru: We done it...!
Insert Text: Sumio and gang accomplished the impossible...! Enigma's defeat!!

____________________________

Fans: So it's ending next chapter to give a summary of each character. She done good for a rushed ending.

Chapter 56:
Page 1:
*ACT 3*
Insert Text: Everything's back to normal!!
Sumio: Things went back to normal...
Moto: Yeah.
Shigeru: Isn't this great?
Kouda: Wrong...

Page 2:
Sumio: Eh?? We destroyed Enigma!
Kouda: Nope. Remember what Gidou and your father said!! He said I was the one who done the phantom killing case, hit Moto and hijacked the plane!! I didn't!
Sumio: What???
Takemaru: Who did?!
Shigeru: N-no...!
Random Student (named Rira): It was... me... hehe.

Page 3:
Sumio: Who!?
Rira: Name's Rira Takahara!!
-Seals safe over Kouda's head-
Rira: You're... the one who ate me!! Die!!!
Sumio: Stop...!!
Rira: No! -Runs off-

Page 4:
Shigeru: *Predicts* Everyone, watch out...!
-Safe locks up whole room-
Sumio: Omg. What do we do??

Page 5:
Takemaru: You've been caught in a farce!! -Reverse Playback-
Riro: No!! They escaped...!
Sumio: Haaaaaaaah!!
Hiina: We won't let you get away...! Third Hand: Hundred Blasts!
Riro: ...! Safeguard!

Page 6:
Hiina: I missed.
Shigeru: Safes, from the above...!
Sumio: Watch out!!

Page 7:
Riro: H-hahaha...! Hahahaha! Die, die, die! Kouda!!
Kouda: I-I'm sorry...
Sumio: Stop this...!!
Hiina: Let me stop her. *Hits all the safes away*
Riro: Eh?! Don't bother. We know all about you! All of you!!

Page 8:
Hiina: Hah!
Riro: Hah...!!
Riro: This power...! No!!

Page 9:
Hiina: As if you could hurt someone... as hard as a diamond!!

Page 10:
Riro: I-I didn't want to do this...!
Sumio: What?!
Riro: You're all the enemies... I was recruited after Kouda's talent was destroyed!!
Sumio: We won't hurt you. Please tell us.
Kouda: Right. Students killed, attacked... I wasn't the only one doing it!!
Sumio: Eh?!

Page 11:
Riro: The students... the groups... everyone's going corrupt!!
Sumio: This can't be...!

Page 12:
Shigeru: *Prediction* Everyone! Kurisu is dangerous...!!
Riro: Right... I was targeting Kouda... but... your friends are also getting attacked! Kurisu! Yumikawa and... Kirio!

Page 13:
Shigeru: Stop this...! Don't abuse your talents...!
Sumio: Yeah, what's the point?! Enigma's destroyed!!
Riro: ...
Random Guy: You're wrong.

Page 14:
Sumio: Who...!?
Guy: My name is Guy. Nice to meet you. You better hurry and save your friends instead of interrogating my lovely Riro...! Your friends may die...
Takemaru: Ami might... die...!? I have to save her!
Hiina: ...Ah! I'm sorry, I must have been injured by that girl...!
Moto: *Shakes* I-I'll stay and protect Hiina, go save Kirio and Kurisu!
Sumio: Thanks!!

Page 15:
*Flame appears behind Sumio, Shigeru, Hiina and Takemaru's back as they run off (except Hiina).*
Moto: W-What?!
Guy: You idiot, you're already under my trap. You too, Riro.
Moto: What's happening...!?
Guy: I don't like lofting about and fighting, so I put you under a test.
Moto: What test...!? Stop this!
Guy: Your friends are so naive. You'll all die in thirty minutes if you can't stop me, disappearing boy.
Moto: I-I...! I'm scared...!
Guy: The time the flame behind their backs disappear, they're life force will disappear. You have to... stop my ability. Here's a hint, I'm controlling it from somewhere close.
Moto: I-I have to protect everyone...!!

Page 16:
*Baseball Pitch*
Man: So this is Kurisu... Hello Kurisu, your abilities have been deemed a nuisance. Prepare to die...
Kurisu: You're...!
*Nurse Area*
Man: Ami Yumikawa... I will kill her.
Takemaru: I don't think so.
Man: ...

Page 17:
Shigeru: D-death... everyone's going to... die!! The culprits are... the other students...!!
Kijima: There you are, Shigeru... The culprits, you're correct... some of them are Kouda's victims, but most of them are the students who went to the Festival...! Students with talents!!

Page 18:
*Gaikotsu Island*
*Silhouette emerges from the well.*
Silhouette: As if... I could be taken down by something so weak!! Enigma will never die...!! The skull... shall ruin Yuyami!!
Silhouette: I am... Enigma!!!

Page 19:
*Iriai Academy*
Mao: Eh? What's this...? Wait, that's... the skull! Didn't that hottie destroy it!?
*Man appears behind Mao with a knife*
Insert Text: Thought this was gonna end, didn't you!? Never! An amazing battle begins!


____________________________

Fans: Wait, a third Act?? Isn't this ending?! And what was with this crap?!
William: This was... amazing...!!!!
Fans: If this didn't get canceled, then...!

STARS Fans: What?! Why did is this the final chapter when they take their first step on the space rocket?????
William:
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I can't tell if you're joking or not. Because deep inside for once, I'm feeling very pessimistic about Enigma.
 

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
In terms of want (that won't happen), I seriously want Enigma to continue and for Kouda's victims to get revived, and probably explain what Kouda done when he imprisoned Ami, hijacked the plane and crashed into hit Aru with the truck. The first two were said by Kijima that it was his fault as well as suggested for Aru's attack, but I didn't think it was because of him taking over another persons identity to do so. I thought it was more "supernatural" and such. I am also seriously wanting a different antagonist GROUP. Not a single enemy, a group. Whether they're momentarily or not.

Lastly, I can name hundreds of ways Enigma is better than STARS, Magico, Kagami or Kurogane, but unfortunately it's very opinionated when talking about which manga is better than which aaaaaand it won't change much since the talent/shadow stuff won't be able to be used in the future SIMPLY because it's getting canceled before given the chance.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Go ahead and keep wanting all these things. I'm serious. It's fun to fantasize.

Also, for the record, I'm not the least bit offended when you used ST&RS and I actually found it a bit funny. I was going to recommend you add a "U JELLY?" quote with your troll face.
 
Last edited:

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Oh you, FOMA! :D

It seems like the author is wrapping up the series.

At least, she's bringing in a few points on how Aru, Ami and Kirio were attacked/blamed because of monster-Shimei and how Sumio's Father and co have to do with the e-test. On the other hand, she still isn't wrapping up people with talents and still promotes the idea of Enigma scattering "talents" into people. Heck, we never even found out about what talents true forms are since they're continually promoted as demons inside people. So, the idea of talents not being explored gives me hope, whilst the recent turn of events is also taking away the hope! ><

The main question is, how long until it gets canceled for Act 2? If she does make it past Act 2, I think Enigma would fair fairly well with future events, of course.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Lastly, I can name hundreds of ways Enigma is better than STARS, Magico, Kagami or Kurogane, but unfortunately it's very opinionated when talking about which manga is better than which aaaaaand it won't change much since the talent/shadow stuff won't be able to be used in the future SIMPLY because it's getting canceled before given the chance.
Sakaki did get longer chance as compared to other axed others. The problem is Sakaki did started with interesting story, but she failed to keep it interesting on later chapters.

The main question is, how long until it gets canceled for Act 2? If she does make it past Act 2, I think Enigma would fair fairly well with future events, of course.
I think Enigma can end at maximum of two chapters.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
The problem is Sakaki did started with interesting story, but she failed to keep it interesting on later chapters.
I think we can all agree on that. There were so many ways Sakaki could've made the story a lot better. I think the farther the story went, the worse it got.

I think Enigma can end at maximum of two chapters.
For once, I'm estimating the exact same thing, no more than that.

You know, I think Sakaki already knew her story would get cancelled since the manga reached about chapter 40. From there on, she rushed the storyline, but she did an adequate job at it with the train test. Unfortunately, she already made so many plot holes by that time with all those unanswered questions, and she still made a few afterwards instead of trying to patch the many she already had. I think the manga is going to have a rough ending in terms of quality because she's already sacrificing plausibility and consistency within the plot, as we've seen with the latest few chapters.
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
It is officially confirmed that Enigma did end this week's issue. Plus, its final chapter and its popularity poll results going to release on upcoming Jump Next.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top