1. We Never Learn, U19, Demon Prince Poro's Diaries, Hungry Marie, Dr. Stone, Robot x Laserbeam. Tell us what you think of the newest additions to the WSJ line-up HERE!
  2. The new season of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. We are looking for new moderators and News Writers. If you are interested, apply here.
  4. Thank you for participating in this years FT Awards. The winners of each category have been decided, please check them out!
  5. The Waifu Wars 2017 are over. Time for applause!
  6. This web comic needs more readers. So what are you waiting for? Read :D.
  7. Congratulations Jammin & Purity of Magi for winning the Manhwa Freestyle contest!, and well done to the other participants!.

New Week, New Contest!
    Time to get coloring! The theme is Pets Coloring.

Voting has begun for the Flower Banner contest!.
  8. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Discussion Escanor

Discussion in 'Nanatsu no Taizai' started by julymarte, Aug 22, 2015.

1. WithYouInSpirit

WithYouInSpirit Certified Sensei

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

Australia
    Hmm... Honestly I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't said anything. It looks sort of similar, but not the same.

2. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Quagmire

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member

Global Moderator

France
    The light aspect + round shape + pages with Archangels using Giant and Omega Arks reminded me of it(very similar to the Cruel Sun + Pride Flare combo).

Escanor has most likely been blessed/cursed by a Goddess somehow. Maybe it was Rosa, who took a human vessel like the twins.

3. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike

Galactic Empire
    To me it does look different to be honest. Goddess powers are called light but in context they are more like "holy" powers. Escanors powers are clearly more fire oriented. His enemies so far are invariably incinerated. His powers don't even seem to dispel darkness, rather he literally burns it away. To me it looks fairly Distinct.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 5, 2017, Original Post Date: Feb 5, 2017 ---
    Escanor is an embodiment of the actual and literal sun, whatever light the goddess can conjure is likely but a speck of light compared to escanor.

4. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Quagmire

Global Moderator

France
    I didn't say it's the same but that there are similarities, of course it's not an Ark. According to Merlin his power is the source of life, but what is the source of life? We don't know.

5. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

Galactic Empire
    Well, we do know. She was talking about the sun, quite literally. Without the sun there is no light, there is no energy, there is no light. Not even for the pale light (in comparison) the goddesses are capable of generating.

6. Gaggen

Gaggen Banned

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Malaysia
    At this rate the master of the sun could be the strongest archangel.... and perhaps thats why he didnt show up yet...

7. LivewireToriko

LivewireToriko Registered User

Algeria
    No.................................

If an ARCHANGEL had sun powers meliodas, Merlin, glox, dolor and all of the other commandments would be familiar with his powers.

Instead of the opposite which is that nobody knows/understands why he's so naturally strong for seemingly no particular reason.

Gaggen likes this.
  8. Gaggen

Gaggen Banned

Malaysia
    Very true. You debunked my statement and thats rare. Haihh then i am out of opinion. My only theory left is the 'ultimate being', the one who create all four clans and gave them different traits.....

Escanorzoldyck likes this.
  9. Escanorzoldyck

Escanorzoldyck Registered User

Holy Britannian Empire
    Merlin said that sunshine is unique and there's is nothing similar to it from other races... So i guess Escanor is either the reincarnation of the "ultimate being" (there must be someone above both clan ), a vessel of the magic power that everyone fought for 3000y ago or he's just unique (i personally prefer if he wasn't a reincarnation)

Gaggen likes this.
  10. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

Galactic Empire
    Well, the magic power everyone fought for 3000 years ago was in the land as far as we know and then it migrated from the land to humans. With that in mind it would make little sense for escanor to have all that power considering it is something that was spread over every human in britania. Also worth noting, escanor has the sun's power backing him up. Logically his own power vastly exceeds the one that was found in the land and whatnot.

I wouldn't object to escanor being a reincarnation though. Just to his power having being around 3000 years ago. We already have statements from merlin and merascylla that there was no one like escanor back in the day, at this point changing this would be dangerously close to a retcon. In turn, I wouldn't necessarily object to escanor being a consequence of something that went on 3000 years ago. Say, the goddesses were trying to harness the sun's power but for reasons they failed and 3000 years later a involved in this was reincarnated with that power.

11. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Quagmire

Global Moderator

France
    If the sun is the source of life, and all clans were fighting for magic power, it means that the sun is the biggest source of MP, right? If Escanor is a reincarnation then he is certainly not the reincarnation of a Human since there was no one like that.

First theory: We do know that Escanor's genes are what trigger his magic and transformation. It happened for the first time when he was a kid, but when he was a baby it never happened before. It could mean that his body was not absorbing the magic from sunlight before, and Rosa used something on him for some reason.

Second theory: Rhitta is said to be the name of a maiden who was loved by the sun and Escanor's kingdom is Castellio. Perhaps the sun in NNT is sentient(I mean, how can you be loved by the sun?) and the members of his family(a royal family) were worshiping it, Rhitta was one of them and it decided to empowers Escanor because it somehow knows that Castellio will be in danger in the future.

Third theory: Sunshine is the result of an unknown mutation similar what happened to Grayroad.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  12. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

Galactic Empire
    Well, that would be the case basically. Though I wouldn't rule out some other mechanism being at play here as well.

Well, whoever escanor is a reincarnation of that person probably did not have sunshine either. Sunshine isn't known from 3000 years ago. If such a power came into play 3000 years ago it would be known to the 10 commandments at least.

As for the second theory, I wouldn't rule out rhitta being some other girl escanor loved. Technically it would mean the sun loved her right? Escanor wandered britania for a long time, it makes sense he would occasionally fall in love.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Escanor's magic would be no different from thunderbolt or full counter, it is simply a magic that allows him to tap into the sun's power.

13. Yakkun

Yakkun Registered User

Germany
    Hasn't Escanor's power been suspected to be goddess clan related for the longest time now? I mean, Sunshine? The power of all life? Radiating light? Heat is just a byproduct, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a variation of what the goddesses possibly have up their sleeve. At least the high ranked ones.

14. LivewireToriko

LivewireToriko Registered User

Algeria
    Yes.

That is the answer.

He has the power of a high ranking goddess.

He's had his powers studied by Merlin, and she specifically stated it was different from any clans.

She told him she liked studying his power because of the mysteries surrounding it.

She's also friends with a demon that fought along side goddesses, even archangels, and was even dating a goddess, and could easily tell her if it was reminiscent of their magic while he hung around them everyday.

He's done battle with and met several commandments, all of which have done battle with and met goddesses, and not a single one commented on his power being akin to goddess magic.

Heck even ban was able to distinguish goddess magic. He said nerobasta's magic presence was the same as the one from the horn that had a goddess in it, and he only met one for 5 seconds.

But anyway I think it's very likely you're right. It's just that the 13 characters that can easily distinguish goddess magic, just didn't make that obvious connection.

On a serious note:

Are we just ignoring the manga now because we want escanor information that badly?

Is that what we've come to now?

Escanorzoldyck likes this.
  15. Gaggen

Gaggen Banned

Malaysia
    Lol to be honest, escanor is one of the few reasons why i still read this so called 'manga'..... his swag and his backstory seems intriguing..... but the demons should have deduce that he has godesses magic. Perhaps he was time travelled to the future from the war torn era to be the sole survivor of the godesses clan, excluding jenna, zaneli and their spirits ....

16. shadow22

shadow22 Registered User

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member

United States
    first when escanor fought estarossa by the end it was a hour before noon the whole it being half an hour before noon was a mistranslation. its beeen stated that escanor in mythology had similar powers to gawain whose strength waxes and wanes with the sun; in the most common form of this motif, his might triples by noon, but fades as the sun sets.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gawain (though escanor from nnt name is ironic in that In Arthurian lore, Escanor is not exactly a nice guy to a point he can be considered an ignoble traitor. nanatsu no taizais Escanor, however, has aspects to his personality that would make him the most loyal and noble of the Sins, especially during nighttime. In fact, it'd be more appropriate to call him Gawain, a more nobler knight from Arthurian lore with similar time of day-based powers, than Escanor.

17. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

Galactic Empire
    Triple? Escanor is the living embodiment of the sun, his power is the origin of life. In the fights we have seen him so far all he has had to do to increase his power is will it. Whatever his power limit is at any given time, we have yet to see it. Since escanor has access to the power of the sun, I would think triple is nowhere near his limit. Escanor is effectively as powerful as he wills himself to be.

goldb likes this.
  18. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Quagmire

Global Moderator

France
    So, 150K?

There is no way for us to know how strong he is at noon. The sudden increase he got against Estarossa disproved the 5 pts per seconds theory.

His will doesn't really matter, Merlin said he has a peak. Nakaba even said that if it's raining or cloudy he would be weaker. If he were able to decide of his power he would have been much stronger at Vaizel.

19. Meliodaf

Meliodaf Registered User

United States

I don't think his will has to do with much. His power is as dependent as can be.

And tripled from where? 50,000?

20. Aloy

Aloy Registered User

England
    What? He doesn't will himself to get powerful. His power ups are because it gets closer to noon.