- Joined
- May 10, 2018
- Messages
- 185
- Reaction score
- 221
- Age
- 26
- Country
-
Is there a tl;dr for this whole Enne Irregular discussion?
Yes, in short: I don't know what an irregular is.Is there a tl;dr for this whole Enne Irregular discussion?
TBH, I don't think anyone but SIU has anything more than a rough Idea.Yes, in short: I don't know what an irregular is.
This has kind of been my point all along, but some here are more hard-line about the little we do know.TBH, I don't think anyone but SIU has anything more than a rough Idea.
Prepare to be dog-piled.Thinking it over more, I think the Enne derail has something to it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I think just looking at it logically, if irregulars are free from the tower rules then, yeah, the child of two irregulars also being an irregular would have some logic to it. Ignoring Baam, none of the pure-irregular offspring we know of appear to be irregulars, though, so either "children of irregulars are irregulars" is just wrong or there's another factor in play. Baam's an irregular despite being (originally) born in the tower, of course, and in his case we have multiple candidates for that "another factor": he could be an irregular due to being reborn outside the tower, he could be an irregular because he's got some special soul from outside the tower, he could be an irregular simply due to the will of that outside god, and then there's V.I'm more interested in your thoughts on V
Right - forget the term 'irregular' as that's only relevant to crossing the threshold to indicate a place of origin. What is important is how the TOWER/admin would treat such a child as a full-blood from outsiders (not originating in the tower though possibly born in the tower). Not what Zahard's empire labels them. If people need a term to come to terms - call them (full-bloods) 'non-irregulars' or 'chosen irregulars' (as opposed to 'unchosen irregulars'). 'Irregular' is only a label that is pertinent after Zahard's empire was founded and the rules of regulars being chosen to climb methodology was CREATED. So what constitutes being exempt from tower contracts existed before Z came and will exist after he's disposed of. What matters most is where a person is from and how this affects their legal status (much like any nation's immigration and naturalization policies in real life) - who cares what they are called?I think just looking at it logically, if irregulars are free from the tower rules then, yeah, the child of two irregulars also being an irregular would have some logic to it.
Admittedly we don't yet know how they are classified, but I agree it is less important about how they are labeled than what, if any, traits they inherit (legal and/or physical).Ignoring Baam, none of the pure-irregular offspring we know of appear to be irregulars, though, so either "children of irregulars are irregulars" is just wrong or there's another factor in play.
And possibly in addition to...Baam's an irregular despite being (originally) born in the tower,
I think it's the difference between thinking there is something inherently magical about crossing the doorway to the tower in the first place (possible) and understanding that the only importance is that they come from outside the tower itself as a 'race' (for better lack of a term). It is merely a legal status issue (given tower contracts) and not so much the imparting of magical abilities once one enters. At least IMO until more data comes to light. The emphasis is largely on being a stranger in a strange land and legal status NOT being turned into a magical being just because you enter the tower. If some could come to understand it is merely a legal status issue, maybe they'd be more open to wondering how odd cases are handled in the tower where one could ALSO be exempt from tower contracts. Off the top of my head one way this could happen is, for whatever reason, the admin release someone from all tower contracts. It would seem they have this authority (maybe only Headon). So, in theory a regular could be born in the tower yet still be gifted exemption if it is in the admin's purview. Why they would do this is besides the point. The point is there are other ways to possibly be exempt from tower contracts. Another example could be a creation of Gong Bang that is artificial. Perhaps this is why GoG can use shinwonryu, albeit only in HT. Since Gong Bang also 'exists outside the tower' it seems they have the ability to create a being outside the rules on a LIMITED basis, perhaps on a tower-wide basis as well (Akryung?).of course, and in his case we have multiple candidates for that "another factor": he could be an irregular due to being reborn outside the tower, he could be an irregular because he's got some special soul from outside the tower, he could be an irregular simply due to the will of that outside god, and then there's V.
I, like everyone else, have no idea but suspect you're on the right track. Though V would have to have known what's up when they were still climbing at floor 100. I still think every and all contracts in the tower are limiting - like the banquet Persephone ate from in Hades. The more contracts you take the more cemented you are in the tower ('shackles' or 'chains'). Interesting that Arlen decided to take the poison apple/golden touch - though I think we both figure she found a way around this in bargaining with 'the true ruler of the tower' in Headon - who probably has the discretion to break contracts.So far as we know, V didn't take the immortality contract (and, unlike Hendo, didn't take a make-up contract, either, also so far as we know). We'll know when SIU tells us, but until it seems fair to speculate that V not taking the contract is tied to why Baam's an irregular despite being born in the tower. I already was inclined to assume that the "immortality contract" is more of a "status quo preservation contract", like "we'll let you guys hang around in the tower forever in exchange for your running things in certain ways", and "regularizing" your offspring seems almost necessary to make that promise (how can it last if your offspring are Enne-powerful and not bound by tower rules?).
Agreed.This is all just trying to use logic to fill in some gaps without crossing the known rules and established facts, but I think it has some internal consistency to it. It also offers a possible explanation for why V didn't take the contract: I've assumed he had a good reason, it could be anything, but being motivated by something tied-into this logic could work.
I think one clue is the addendum that Hendo's kids CANNOT become immortal (implying that other FH's children CAN become immortal - or his previous kids if any). If they didn't have the ability to become immortal, this clause wouldn't be necessary. Immortality + contracts - both as a blessing and a curse - is central to what the hell is going on with all this, and this extends to pretty much every important character. That's why the nuances - which haven't been explained - are so important and I can't imagine it is as clear-cut as some here seem to think.It also opens up another angle on Hendo: he (belatedly?) got his own contract. If the general theory is right, though, there's room for a few possibilities: perhaps the children he had (with tower residents?) prior to his contract are less-constrained (even if not "full irregulars"), perhaps the constraints placed upon his post-contract descendants are different (could be weaker, could be stronger, etc.)? Perhaps the cursed people are the descendants of his pre-contract children, and they have the curse placed upon them to prevent them from making full use of (what's left of) their less-constrained status? Perhaps his having sired in-tower children pre-contract is why he was denied the contract in the first place ("you're already screwing it up?", basically).
FUG/HR only seemed/seems interested in Baam to take on Zahard specifically. This, combined with the fact that Z was the only one to take a secondary contract really makes me think that FH's are capable of being killed already. If not, why would they 'get anxious' when a new slayer is announced as SIU put it in the bio for FUG? Z's secondary contract is what made him invulnerable to tower residents and king at the same time (both things are interrelated anyways) - and the FH's DON'T have this contract per SIU. The obvious implication is that FHs are immortal only but not invulnerable (can be kiiled). I just think the slayers so far haven't gotten strong enough to take their targets on yet (not to mention all slots aren't even filled), plus Luslec probably knows if one FH is targeted he'll have to deal with the pile-on that follows. And even if they CAN kill FH's, it is moot until they can finally kill Zahard. Best to take out the trash all at once.To wrap it up, then, contracts do seem as iron-clad as anything in the tower, but Baam isn't bound by them (unless he opts in, like that "shackle" line in S1). I mean, let's not forget that the whole reason FUG is interested in Baam is he's free to ignore the immortality contract, kill Zahard, and all that. I've also tended to expect that Baam will find a way to cancel the contract, purely from a narrative standpoint: right now only Baam can kill any of the family heads, and, like, between them and Zahard there's 11 "boss fights". Having Baam find a way to cancel the contract and then letting the FUG slayers handle the remaining family heads seems logical, whether the contract ends with Zahard's death or if getting it cancelled is a pre-requisite to fight Zahard.
Go on about the Baam touching Enne part...What I'm trying to say is that, sure, I doubt Baam is going to meet Enne, touch her, and then have his spell-breaking touch immediately turn her into the irregular she "should have been", but I can see her getting irregularized (or informing him of the possibility). What's not so clear is what being irregularized would mean in practical terms, though, if it's happening only after the immortality contract is lifted: what we understand of irregulars is that they're able to use shinsoo without contract and they're able to ignore/override the immortality contract. If the immortality contract got cancelled then "anyone" could maybe go after the family heads—in principle, at least—so the benefit a newly-irregularized Enne would gain would be, what, a freer hand with shinsoo? Seems like there'd need to be more to it. Maybe with a princess like here there's an extra benefit because it lifts whatever control Zahard has on them?
It's likely this thread won't be relevant for a literal decade IRL, if ever...But, overall, I think there's probably something to this line of reasoning, but I suspect exactly what there is to it will hinge on fine details and significant information we don't currently know.
To keep everything crisp how about using "bound" and "unbound" to refer to "bound by tower rules" and "not bound by tower rules", and leaving irregular/regular in their original meanings?Right - forget the term 'irregular' as that's only relevant to crossing the threshold to indicate a place of origin.
This is the crux of it, for sure, and I think it runs deep. For example, if it turns out that the in-tower existences are somehow fake/inferior/not real, it undercuts the significance of backstories like Hoaquin's devouring billions of souls. Until proven otherwise we seemingly need to assume that "legal status" is what matters.It is merely a legal status issue
To play devil's advocate, though, her lineage is Gustang and Eurasia. Zahard aside, Gustang is actively involved in Baam's journey (details murky, but he's there). Eurasia, herself, isn't, but there's still whatever "family scheme" the Phonsekal offshoot is plotting (via Irure, perhaps eventually Lauroe). So I lean towards her type of lineage being significant, but it's potentially just that both sides of her lineage are also seemingly involved in Baam's quest (to some extent). Just sayin'.I've said it a few times, but SIU makes kind of a big deal about Enne's lineage. I don't think it's an accident she has ranked so highly. I also wouldn't be surprised to find out that Adori is also a full-blood, maybe Baek and who knows else.
I think this gets into immortality vs invulnerability. Reading into it a bit, the impression I had is that Arlen could "kill" herself, apparently, except she'd just heal up again. You get the idea: stab yourself, bleed out, pass out, wake up "back to normal"; jump into the woodchipper, make a mess, lose consciousness, wake up "back to normal"; shoot yourself into the sun, be ripped apart into subatomic particles, lose consciousness, wake up "back to normal". With that "immortal, not invulnerable" status a powerful-enough regular could "kill" you, it seems, possibly over-and-over. It'd suck even though—or because?—you wouldn't die (or wouldn't stay dead?).FUG/HR only seemed/seems interested in Baam to take on Zahard specifically. This, combined with the fact that Z was the only one to take a secondary contract really makes me think that FH's are capable of being killed already.
On the other hand, Maschenny is part of Enne's story and Gustang is part of Enne's story. I could see her appearing in years, not decades, so there's that.It's likely this thread won't be relevant for a literal decade IRL, if ever...
That’s the direction I hope SIU goes, too. I ain’t saying it’s what he’ll do, I’m saying it’s what I hope he’ll do.I've said this previously and Will say It again: Jinsung is at same prison facility as Anne Jahad. Adori also set up a trap to get Bam and co., and everything Will come Full circle as cornered Bam will take refuge in Anne's Room and unseal her, getting an Ally that can handle Adori and once again surviving Jahad's army through sheer luck and friends.
I think Princess war Will be the moment he gathers many of 13 months, also finding out what they do. And Princess war requires Anne free, only she can defeat Adori. Adori has Golden November, Mascheny has Yellow May, and we know Bam Will Win Yuri's bet and get that one. Along with Garam's, that's 6/13 iirc: Black March, Green April, Yellow May, Blue August, Golden November, Colorless December. He might get Arie Princess involved for Red October too, and we get past 50% with 7/13, starting a 13 months gathering Quest by Bam, the Frodo of ToG.I don't think jinsung is necessarily at the same place as enne. Isn't the location a secret? Bam probably will pay enne a visit when he finally gets around to collecting the 13 month series to create the tower's key.