Discussion - Fairy Tail Power Ranking Thread | Page 714 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Fairy Tail Power Ranking Thread

Which side are you on?

• Team Spriggan 12

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • Team Diabolos/Dragon Eaters

Votes: 41 50.0%

• Total voters

GL_Nova

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry bro, she can't. PoF is not a super Saiyajin form you can use at will with training. It is all about circonstances. This is because Erza's power scale is so variable. Or are you claiming that Erza was in PoF stats when she was fighting Laxus in their last challenge ? You make me laugh. If so, Laxus should be dead.

Erza needs external stimulus to tap into that "Potential Power". A foe has to have her people's life in Balance. This power is not for her and she can't use it for her own. This power is for protecting someone in her heart : This is why she claimed to be Titania, Fairy queen who protect her friends, even if she has to die for.
- Vs Azuma who absorbed People's Magic and all Fairy Tail have to die if she failed.
- Vs Kyoka because she was the key to stop Face, which would nullify all magic power in the country, and her friends should die against people who used curse.
- Vs Irene because she wanted Wendy's body and then, crushed meteor saving all people again.

These are extreme circonstances that put her into extreme power stats. She can't enter that PoF while fighting a friend (Laxus), never mind how strong he is.

Erza should be "too strong" if she can use it at will. Erza is, at her own current power, around Laxus's level. Laxus is nowhere near Erza's level when she entered PoF, the same way Gajeel is far below Dragon Force Natsu.
I’m responding to you first because it’s easiest. In literally every situation she’s encountered where she should be powerless or haxes out, she busts out POF and wins. To the point people complain it’s ruined her character. An I already mentioned that it doesn’t work against those wearing the guild
mark. There’s no argument to be had here.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

But its not hindsight claim.
For example are you still waiting for an explanation on how erza beat koyoka. Of course not
Normal people treats this bs the same.

Laxus fans just gave alot of benefits to their favorite
It is a hindsight claim. You are retroactively claiming that only Laxus fanboys thought it wasn’t an asspull, which isn’t entirely accurate. There were non Laxus fans who didn’t think it was POF because of the training he mentioned and the author’s mention of Yuri. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Ronin31

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
In literally every situation she’s encountered where she should be powerless or haxes out, she busts out POF and wins.
Well, I don't agree.
- Vs Ikaruga, she unchained her heart to a resilience form : no more armors for hiding way. She was searching her true strength to reset her weakness. No PoF (but prelude to it).
- Midnight had average against her and she used analysis and counters to win. No PoF.
- Vs Kagura, she answered her anger by her determination to a resolution's battle. No PoF.
- Vs Minerva, she used second origin by anger. No PoF.
- Vs historias, she used determination to burn out ghosts. No PoF.
- Vs Ajeel, she took account of Biska. No PoF.
Anger and determination can fluctuate power stats but they are not PoF. Natsu tap into anger to grow his magic but need circonstances to climax his anger and being Dragon Force. Her true strength (PoF) is only revealed when people is about to be killed by a foe she can't face in her own strength.
To the point people complain it’s ruined her character.
I know that people dislike her, this is why I took Natsu as a "better" example.
An I already mentioned that it doesn’t work against those wearing the guild
mark.
I didn't see that so I apologize and agree.
There’s no argument to be had here.
I am not attacking you, I am not here for that. So I am not saiying you had bad arguments and I agree who can have your opinion, and I have mine. We can disagree and being respectful. I am ok with you.

GL_Nova

Reaction score
Country
United States
He said they are just strong nothing more which Mirajane and Elfmamn said to Skullion and Madmole in return as well. This doesn't prove anything as Skullion did the same for both Erza and Natsu and Natsu did more damage Madmole than Elfman ever did.

He never tanked Amatersu formula. Makarov took far stronger spell than Laxus with less damage and was still on his feats unlike Laxus who got hit by a weak version of the same spell..

Prove where he is wise. He has already proven otherwise during his fight against Gildarts. 😂
So we’re ignoring that he says “the same is true for us” as his response for Mira saying they can’t beat them? This is the first time Skullion has said he can’t beat someone, every other retreat was because his compatriots were wounded.

Wait, why do we keep ignoring what happened?
Gets blasted:

Counter attacks:

You don’t really say anything here bro. He’s acknowledged as the King of Magic, he knows more magic than his father, and he’a the General of The Spriggan. Why exactly would this be the only thing he gets wrong?

Well, I don't agree.
- Vs Ikaruga, she unchained her heart to a resilience form : no more armors for hiding way. She was searching her true strength to reset her weakness. No PoF (but prelude to it).
- Midnight had average against her and she used analysis and counters to win. No PoF.
- Vs Kagura, she answered her anger by her determination to a resolution's battle. No PoF.
- Vs Minerva, she used second origin by anger. No PoF.
- Vs historias, she used determination to burn out ghosts. No PoF.
- Vs Ajeel, she took account of Biska. No PoF.
Anger and determination can fluctuate power stats but they are not PoF. Natsu tap into anger to grow his magic but need circonstances to climax his anger and being Dragon Force. Her true strength (PoF) is only revealed when people is about to be killed by a foe she can't face in her own strength.

I know that people dislike her, this is why I took Natsu as a "better" example.

I didn't see that so I apologize and agree.

I am not attacking you, I am not here for that. So I am not saiying you had bad arguments and I agree who can have your opinion, and I have mine. We can disagree and being respectful. I am ok with you.
Did I say she wins all her fights with POF? My argument, well statement really, is that Erza can use POF whenever necessary. Name me a time Erza needed POF to win and couldn’t pull it off when she tried.

I love Erza. Like I said when the chapters originally dropped, her new power ups and skills are dope and fit her character perfectly.

We all miss stuff. We’re human

I appreciate that. I’m not here to disrespect anybody either. I’d just much rather debate folks with their own opinions than ruminate on what I already think with no feedback.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ya know, what @GL_Nova is saying about Ivan and Gildarts does sound familiar 🤔

Seven777

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Strength doesn't come from the Lacrima. Rogue and Cobra are both fodder. Lacrima prob just fixed his body by giving him dragon constitution. Not that it matters anyway, being born talented or being enchanted by a real dragon is no different to being given a lacrima. It's all just luck, you don't get any credit for it.

But its not hindsight claim.
For example are you still waiting for an explanation on how erza beat koyoka. Of course not
Normal people treats this bs the same.

Laxus fans just gave alot of benefits to their favorite
We got an explanation. It's because she's Erza.
And it is a hindsight claim, did any of us give a shit when Erza randomly pulled out SO and Nakagami for the first time? Not really. Were all of us Erza fans just giving her the benefit of the doubt like usual? 🤔

Acnologia2415

Banned
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Laxus didnt have a healthy body as a kid, but got better when he got the lacrima implant. I wouldn't say he's strong only because of the implant though, since Cobra and the twin dragons aren't that strong. Laxus is Makarov's grandson, so he probably inherited the strong genes.

GL_Nova

Reaction score
Country
United States
They had this man Ziggy casually wipe a planet in EZ. I’m pissed and geeked at the same time.

Kurumi Tokisaki

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
So we’re ignoring that he says “the same is true for us” as his response for Mira saying they can’t beat them? This is the first time Skullion has said he can’t beat someone, every other retreat was because his compatriots were wounded.
So what? He acknowledged they were strong which he did against Natsu and the others as well. You said Elfman did better against Madmole but it doesn't change the fact that Natsu did way better than him against Madmole. He damaged him way more than Natsu did. After seeing both Madmole and Kiria being beaten down, he acknowledged their strength and left.

Counter attacks:
Convinetinely doesn't post rest of the posts to prove your pain. Lol. He was downed after hitting a Hades since spell started effecting him. Makarov was completely able negate Amatersu formula much stronger than what Laxus was hit and he took no after damage as well. Nice argument by you.

You don’t really say anything here bro. He’s acknowledged as the King of Magic, he knows more magic than his father, and he’a the General of The Spriggan. Why exactly would this be the only thing he gets wrong?
King of Magic who uses a stick to fight and copy magic. That's why restored to a suicide spell as a last resort to take everyone with him. He already exposed himself against Gildarts as well. Having more magic doesn't mean he can grasp situation better than anyone lol.

GL_Nova

Reaction score
Country
United States
So what? He acknowledged they were strong which he did against Natsu and the others as well. You said Elfman did better against Madmole but it doesn't change the fact that Natsu did way better than him against Madmole. He damaged him way more than Natsu did. After seeing both Madmole and Kiria being beaten down, he acknowledged their strength and left.

Convinetinely doesn't post rest of the posts to prove your pain. Lol. He was downed after hitting a Hades since spell started effecting him. Makarov was completely able negate Amatersu formula much stronger than what Laxus was hit and he took no after damage as well. Nice argument by you.

King of Magic who uses a stick to fight and copy magic. That's why restored to a suicide spell as a last resort to take everyone with him. He already exposed himself against Gildarts as well. Having more magic doesn't mean he can grasp situation better than anyone lol.
Skullion left because his compatriots fell, avoiding being outnumbered is a much different thing than backing off because you admit you can’t win for certain. An Madmole may have taken more damage. My point is that Elfman forced him to retreat from him, as opposed from Team Natsu.

You mean the after effects of the spell. Cause what I showed was him tanking the attack which was my point. If your arguing about status effects, he was still able to tank a supposed death blow from Hades while dealing with the Amaterasu formula and get back up and lead the charge against Hades. As opposed to countering the Amaterasu spell like Gramps did. Which brings me back to the original point which is Hades praise.

He didn’t use the stick bro, copy was a learned ability. An it wasn’t just massive power, it was copying abilities and being able to effectively use them to counter his opponents in actual combat situations that made him a threat. An his titles were still earned. I don’t see how being outfought by Gildarts undoes that in any way.

Kurumi Tokisaki

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
Skullion left because his compatriots fell, avoiding being outnumbered is a much different thing than backing off because you admit you can’t win for certain.
Only companion that fell are Kiria and Wraith which Strauss Sibling had nothing to do. Don't why bothered brining it up as it has no weight here.

You mean the after effects of the spell. Cause what I showed was him tanking the attack which was my point. If your arguing about status effects, he was still able to tank a supposed death blow from Hades while dealing with the Amaterasu formula and get back up and lead the charge against Hades. As opposed to countering the Amaterasu spell like Gramps did. Which brings me back to the original point which is Hades praise.
You can't say you tanked a spell if you are down after few minutes if the spell started to affect you. My point was Makarov was able to defend against stronger version of the spell without getting suffering like Laxus did after few minutes.

He didn’t use the stick bro, copy was a learned ability. An it wasn’t just massive power, it was copying abilities and being able to effectively use them to counter his opponents in actual combat situations that made him a threat. An his titles were still earned. I don’t see how being outfought by Gildarts undoes that in any way.
You can't call yourself the King of Magic if you are nothing but a cheap copy cat. Might well as call every copy magic user, the king of magic.

sharkai

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is a hindsight claim. You are retroactively claiming that only Laxus fanboys thought it wasn’t an asspull, which isn’t entirely accurate. There were non Laxus fans who didn’t think it was POF because of the training he mentioned and the author’s mention of Yuri. 🤷🏾‍♂️
i think the problem is you are little bit more inclined towards one side, that is why you cant see

very mention of Yuri put it in bs category
training claim was bs from the start. laxus did not specifically train for wahl

the people who made these claims were already in laxus fan club, of course exceptions might be there

Strength doesn't come from the Lacrima. Rogue and Cobra are both fodder. Lacrima prob just fixed his body by giving him dragon constitution. Not that it matters anyway, being born talented or being enchanted by a real dragon is no different to being given a lacrima. It's all just luck, you don't get any credit for it.

We got an explanation. It's because she's Erza.
And it is a hindsight claim, did any of us give a shit when Erza randomly pulled out SO and Nakagami for the first time? Not really. Were all of us Erza fans just giving her the benefit of the doubt like usual? 🤔
not this time. last time you caught me unaware. you will have to wait for another 100 years for that opportunity

erm, are we pretending you were indeed not foaming when erza pulled out SO even though gray clearly said she most likely already had it which is why you people thought she was just minutely ahead of natsu pre ts

fun part about nakagami, was i think it was claimed no one had magic power to wear it for last 7 years. unless she bought it from her usual one dollar shop, she most likely had it during her fairy sphere stuck period, and that is why nobody could wear it for 7 years
--- Double Post Merged, ---

All dragons and dragon slayers arent the same. then it should follow that all dragon lacrimas arent the same either. laxus lacrima could be massively stronger than others. just putting it out there

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
not this time. last time you caught me unaware. you will have to wait for another 100 years for that opportunity

erm, are we pretending you were indeed not foaming when erza pulled out SO even though gray clearly said she most likely already had it which is why you people thought she was just minutely ahead of natsu pre ts

fun part about nakagami, was i think it was claimed no one had magic power to wear it for last 7 years. unless she bought it from her usual one dollar shop, she most likely had it during her fairy sphere stuck period, and that is why nobody could wear it for 7 years

All dragons and dragon slayers arent the same. then it should follow that all dragon lacrimas arent the same either. laxus lacrima could be massively stronger than others. just putting it out there
Last time? What you talking about? Not that it matters, whatever it I did then I can do again with regularity.

Yeah? No one gave a damn about Erza releasing SO(or at least compared to all the people who hated Laxus vs Wahl), most people were hyped to see Minerva get trashed. In fact in the chapter thread the vote for "best moment in the chapter" went to Erza releasing SO lol. That's right, in the chapter called LAXUS VS JURA, Erza going SO got more votes for best moment than the Laxus vs Jura fight lol. I guess it's just because the fandom favors Erza over Laxus, as usual, it's rough being a Laxus fan...

Levi's book wouldn't make much sense in that case, would it? How would anyone know that no one could where it if no one ever tried in that time period? And why would anyone write a book on it?

It could be, and a single sword in Erza's arsenal could also be stronger than every lacrima combined, but it doesn't really matter. Being born talented, not being born sick, being enchanted by a dragon, having good genes, etc, it's all luck.

GL_Nova

Reaction score
Country
United States
Only companion that fell are Kiria and Wraith which Strauss Sibling had nothing to do. Don't why bothered brining it up as it has no weight here.

You can't say you tanked a spell if you are down after few minutes if the spell started to affect you. My point was Makarov was able to defend against stronger version of the spell without getting suffering like Laxus did after few minutes.

You can't call yourself the King of Magic if you are nothing but a cheap copy cat. Might well as call every copy magic user, the king of magic.
Simple, because against them he left because he couldn’t beat them. Perfectly relevant.

Hades stated just blocking it kills most people. He blocked the spell (Obvious explosion), he just can’t escape the status effect.

I think that’s and interesting way to try and minimize his impressive power and skill.

i think the problem is you are little bit more inclined towards one side, that is why you cant see

very mention of Yuri put it in bs category
training claim was bs from the start. laxus did not specifically train for wahl

the people who made these claims were already in laxus fan club, of course exceptions might be there

I’m inclined to the side because of what I’ve seen. Which is amusing because I personally think it’s telling that you seem to have a thing against Laxus.

When he had literally just revealed him and his magic type? We have no idea how many opponents he faced in the wars and on his adventures. An him training is a stated fact. They’re even a volume worth of material about it. He could easily have gotten his hands on his grandfather’s spells. Again, it’s only retroactively that you can act like these are silly notions as opposed to plausible explanations.

Same thing for this.

Occams Razor. This is a one off claim from Laxus evil father. As opposed to multiple comments from multiple sources about the kind of power that runs in the family.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
What's the problem with "copying magic" that makes it worse compared to learning it?

Magic spells are just things you learn, what's the difference between his Fire Dragon Slayer Magic and Natsu's? August's Copy magic just skips the learning period.

Every single character has the ability to learn any single spell in the series; they're all just extremely specialized (and even then some characters do show a bit of variety in their kinds of magic like Laxus with Fairy Law).

August's copying magic must be, for whatever reason, specially hard to learn, or any character obsessed with strength would be trying to learn his kind of Copying magic precisely because they wouldn't have to worry about learning other kinds of magic ever again.

Other magic users able to use Copy magic throughout the manga weren't able to immediately nullify all kind of magic attack the same way August can, nor have his immense magic power that allows him to use the copied spells with the same or way more power that he experienced them.

He's the King of Magic and was an impressive character that was defeated and then killed in very silly ways because of an author who made some of the bad guys just too broken without thinking about they could possibly be defeated in a believable way.

Kurumi Tokisaki

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
What's the problem with "copying magic" that makes it worse compared to learning it?

Magic spells are just things you learn, what's the difference between his Fire Dragon Slayer Magic and Natsu's? August's Copy magic just skips the learning period.

Every single character has the ability to learn any single spell in the series; they're all just extremely specialized (and even then some characters do show a bit of variety in their kinds of magic like Laxus with Fairy Law).

August's copying magic must be, for whatever reason, specially hard to learn, or any character obsessed with strength would be trying to learn his kind of Copying magic precisely because they wouldn't have to worry about learning other kinds of magic ever again.

Other magic users able to use Copy magic throughout the manga weren't able to immediately nullify all kind of magic attack the same way August can, nor have his immense magic power that allows him to use the copied spells with the same or way more power that he experienced them.

He's the King of Magic and was an impressive character that was defeated and then killed in very silly ways because of an author who made some of the bad guys just too broken without thinking about they could possibly be defeated in a believable way.
To me if you are just copying someone else magic you can't be called the King of Magic. It's like me doing someone else work and getting better marks than he is. It is same as cheating although I agree that is just part part of his part like most of the spriggans were meant to be. He is different than the other copy mages because unlike others he can instantaneous copy them which previous users of this magic had. We don't even whether he can retain the magic he copies. If he can retain any magic then he wouldn't have needed Brandish to shrink his wounds. There was nothing to suggest he can retain the magic he copies. Most of them are head canons. If he can't retain the magic how can you be called the king of something.

imple, because against them he left because he couldn’t beat them. Perfectly relevant.
He did the something against Natsu and Others as well. Don't know what you are trying to prove here. He acknowledged their strengths and left.

Hades stated just blocking it kills most people. He blocked the spell (Obvious explosion), he just can’t escape the status effect.
So who cares. Makarov took far stronger spell than Laxus and didn't fall on his knees like Laxus did.

I think that’s and interesting way to try and minimize his impressive power and skill.
His power and skill is not the same as him being wise.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
To me if you are just copying someone else magic you can't be called the King of Magic. It's like me doing someone else work and getting better marks than he is. It is same as cheating although I agree that is just part part of his part like most of the spriggans were meant to be. He is different than the other copy mages because unlike others he can instantaneous copy them which previous users of this magic had. We don't even whether he can retain the magic he copies. If he can retain any magic then he wouldn't have needed Brandish to shrink his wounds. There was nothing to suggest he can retain the magic he copies. Most of them are head canons. If he can't retain the magic how can you be called the king of something.
I agree that if he can't retain the magic then that's a bummer. It's very different to be able to copy it just for the duration of a fight than being able to properly rettain spells.
He did use some spells that we hadn't see him copy recently, like some barriers, but that could be just that spells that he has learned through normal means.

Still, what other kind of character would you say is more suited than him to be the king of magic? Other than perhaps Acnologia as someone who can just eat any spell or magic.

His ability of instantaneous copy and then performing techniques with the magic he copied that are actually more advanced than the techniques previously used against him (the fire dragon explosion he used on Natsu and the others and the ability to break himself down with Gildart's magic and reassemble at will) plus his huge pool of magic power are nothing sort of impressive, even if one can argue that copy magic isn't exactly the most original concept nor the coolest one.

I think that unless a character can achieve immortality like Zeref and then truly learns every single magic in the world, there's nobody more suited of the title than August.

This I agree with. Although he could be seen as wise because of his old age, we all know that not all old men are wise.

sharkai

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last time? What you talking about? Not that it matters, whatever it I did then I can do again with regularity.

Yeah? No one gave a damn about Erza releasing SO(or at least compared to all the people who hated Laxus vs Wahl), most people were hyped to see Minerva get trashed. In fact in the chapter thread the vote for "best moment in the chapter" went to Erza releasing SO lol. That's right, in the chapter called LAXUS VS JURA, Erza going SO got more votes for best moment than the Laxus vs Jura fight lol. I guess it's just because the fandom favors Erza over Laxus, as usual, it's rough being a Laxus fan...

Levi's book wouldn't make much sense in that case, would it? How would anyone know that no one could where it if no one ever tried in that time period? And why would anyone write a book on it?

It could be, and a single sword in Erza's arsenal could also be stronger than every lacrima combined, but it doesn't really matter. Being born talented, not being born sick, being enchanted by a dragon, having good genes, etc, it's all luck.
Dont know about that period. So cant comment

All i remember people claiming how everyone would surpass erza because she is the only one who didnt get a powerup before SO

Nakagami was bs. I still havent figureed out how Nakagami even beat minerva

That last comment wasnt for you. Its just possibility. I not taking part in debate about laxus power source

Simple, because against them he left because he couldn’t beat them. Perfectly relevant.

I’m inclined to the side because of what I’ve seen. Which is amusing because I personally think it’s telling that you seem to have a thing against Laxus.

When he had literally just revealed him and his magic type? We have no idea how many opponents he faced in the wars and on his adventures. An him training is a stated fact. They’re even a volume worth of material about it. He could easily have gotten his hands on his grandfather’s spells. Again, it’s only retroactively that you can act like these are silly notions as opposed to plausible explanations.

Same thing for this.

Occams Razor. This is a one off claim from Laxus evil father. As opposed to multiple comments from multiple sources about the kind of power that runs in the family.
I dont have a thing against laxus. I have thing against supporting this bs gap theory between equals s class mages without any reasonable logic backimg it up.

Urm. Yes laxus could have gotten a powerful spell. But why one lightening that wahl wasnt immune to. This scream bs. Yuri nor training answers this. Thus logical explanation was asspull. And nearly everyone knew, except some who defends laxus no matter what.

There are people here who are still trying to give a reasonable explanation for laxus immunity to kiria hax. Sorry its plot driven. Pure bs nothing more.

GL_Nova

Reaction score
Country
United States

He did the something against Natsu and Others as well. Don't know what you are trying to prove here. He acknowledged their strengths and left.

So who cares. Makarov took far stronger spell than Laxus and didn't fall on his knees like Laxus did.

He left because of numbers only, as opposed to stating he didn’t think he could win and the numbers being an after thought.

He did, the way he blocked those spells with the 3 pillars was dope. I wish we had gotten to see more of Makarov’s Amaterasu spells. I hope we see more in the future as they seem to have become a staple for the FT Master to learn.

Wisdom has nothing to do with this point. An since losing a fight has nothing to do with wisdom, I don’t see what basis your using to argue this secular point. That being said. August has more combat experience, and magical experience than almost every other combatant on the field. You want me to believe a cocky 20 yr old who lost to Elfman, instead of the 90 year old Archmage who actually interacted with the spell. You have yet to make this make sense.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia

All i remember people claiming how everyone would surpass erza because she is the only one who didnt get a powerup before SO

That last comment wasnt for you. Its just possibility. I not taking part in debate about laxus power source
People been waiting for Natsu to surpass Erza since Phantom, and it's Erza's own fault for always wanking him lol. Not that I recall anyone being upset that she was still better.

Meh, i've always liked it. It dispells magic, so the teleporting shit Minerva used on her got cut. Also explains why it could hurt Ajeel.

GL_Nova

Reaction score
Country
United States

I dont have a thing against laxus. I have thing against supporting this bs gap theory between equals s class mages without any reasonable logic backimg it up.

Urm. Yes laxus could have gotten a powerful spell. But why one lightening that wahl wasnt immune to. This scream bs. Yuri nor training answers this. Thus logical explanation was asspull. And nearly everyone knew, except some who defends laxus no matter what.

There are people here who are still trying to give a reasonable explanation for laxus immunity to kiria hax. Sorry its plot driven. Pure bs nothing more.
You’ve literally made a point of how much you enjoy debating Laxus fans because you think he’s all hype. You are actively ignoring the times they were directly compared in the manga because it doesn’t fit your narrative. (Jura, hades, Demon Gates) There’s a reason so many people got the impression. Let’s not even ignore that the characters themselves don’t think they can take Laxus as a unit, and Erza wished for back up to make sure her goal was accomplished.

Why would a Lightning mage work to create a spell that works on people immune to lightning. That made no discernible sense dude? When the only thing we know about Laxus is he was training for the year, and they make a point of the Yuri flashback. It’s not like people created a theory out of thin air. Am clearly Hiro felt he needed to clarify.

I mean everything is plot driven. That being said, not a single illusion has been truly successful against Laxus all series. That needs no explanation.