Game - Fan League Discussion Thread | Page 49 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Game Fan League Discussion Thread

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
While JJ and Noah aren’t quite near the top individually, I think drafting them together might be an incentive to pick them earlier than usual. Their reserve support seems pretty good.
Pretty much. They're both solid if you get one of them, but especially JJ gets really, really good if you have both brothers.

Also, Hermes:

Hermes Kounellis [25, SB: 2, HP: 9, CP, R]
(SPE: 7, POW: 4, STA: 5, MEN: 4, TEC: 5)

Herald of the Gods [Auto]:
Only activates in S2. Mental increases by 2. After winning, Mental of all characters on the same team increases by 1.

Divine Trickster [Counter]:
Triggers after losing a service game or partner's service game for the first time. During the following point, opponent's Mental decreases by 1 and, if Mental exceeds an opponent's Mental afterwards, that opponent's Speed decreases by 1, their Power decreases by 1 and their Technique decreases by 1.

Riding on Wings [Special - Lv 4 - 0.5 STA]:
Data: Speed increases by 5.
Extra: ACE if Speed exeeds every opponent's combined Speed, Power and Technique.

Skill Thief [Special - Lv 5 - ? STA]:
Activation: Copy a Serve/Special with Lv <= 5 from a character on the opposing team. Negated if opponent activates that same Serve/Special.

I mostly drew on mythological stuff for him (assuming the Hermes wikipedia page is accurate) and remixed some older abilities for the effects. The stats are from Kamio and Kenya as I mentioned in the Stats thread some time ago. Herald of the Gods is the only really new move in his ability set, but it seemed like a good chance to implement something of the sort. Obviously the implication here is that there's a "god" in S1 and while the post match boost indicates all team members, it's really only meaningful for said S1 player.

As for the rest, Divine Trickster is an adaptation of an old Niou move (from the first Season 3 to be precise), Riding on Wings is obviously a better version of Kenya's Speed Tennis and Skill Thief is based on Hitouji's Copycat, but with an extra negation clause added in to make it a bit more interesting to use.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Vulcan Lartius [24, SB: 2, HP: 10, CP, R]
(SPE: 3, POW: 5, STA: 5, MEN: 5, TEC: 6)

Fiery Spirit [Auto]:
When checked by an ACE effect, Speed, Power and Technique return at +1. During decisive points, Mental increases by 1.

Arms Dealer [Auto]:
Partner's Power and Technique combined increase by 2. (Choose distribution before the match.)

Sneaker Dealer [Auto]:
Choose one before the match: (1) Partner's Speed increases by 1. When checked by an ACE effect, partner's Speed returns at -2; (2) When checked by an ACE effect, partner's Speed returns at +2.

Golden Shackles [Special - Lv 5 - 1 STA]:
Activation: Negated if an opponent's Speed exceeds their base Stamina.
Data: Technique increases by 3.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's Stamina is 0. When checked by an ACE effect, opponent's Stamina returns at -1 for each of their Exhaustion Counters. At the end of the point, if no opponent successfully activated an ACE effect, every opponent gains an Exhaustion Counter.

Another character with a Counter mechanic, mostly because, as we've learned in past seasons, the ability to continuously drain stamina is really, really good. That aside, he makes a good doubles partner. I was considering giving him a similar ability for his own stats, but ultimately felt it made things more convoluted without a substantial payoff.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
I want to rework the Spirit moves. Given the current match, I feel like we've misunderstood them on a fundamental level to a certain degree. Don't have time for the details right now, but I'm under the impression they should be Autos as well, like TnK - I'm not sure how to best handle it in Ryoma's case though. I feel like if they're not part of the activated moves, it might lead to confusion if players are forced to choose one over the other - should we accept that added complexity regardless or prioritize them in some fashion?
Well, maybe I do have time after all. Basically, I think the giant ball shot is essentially meaningless. In each case, it was only drawn that way the first time we got to see the technique in question, so I reckon it's more to show how fast/powerful/intimidating a shot of that level is. Beyond that, I think the five moves affected by this (Spirit Demon, Spirit Pirate, Spirit Samurai, Dark Side, Eighth Consciousness) all have different effects though. Following that, I intend to get rid of this part:

"At the end of the Data step, Power increases by opponent's Power (Doubles: opponent with higher Power)."

From my current understanding, those moves should concentrate on the following:
  • Spirit Demon: Power still. Unfortunately we never really got to see this one outside the initial giant ball, so I'm not sure about the details yet.
  • Spirit Pirate: Speed. Looking at the representation of the move in chapter 120, it focuses on fast stabbing attacks as well as attacks from behind (dead angles I guess?). I'm putting an updated version for this one below.
  • Spirit Samurai: Probably technique? I think this is the only one that curved, so maybe it's like a super COOL Drive.
  • Dark Side: Not sure on this one yet either. I still think we were on the right track with the Speed decrease last month, but don't see a clear solution beyond that right now.
  • Eighth Consciousness: Boosting Speed and Mental seems appropriate at this point. I think this would replace and combine a number of other abilities in Akutsu's moveset since the way he's using it can't be done by anyone else.
Spirit Pirate [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. Speed increases by [11 - opponent's Mental] (Doubles: opponent with higher Mental). In the Extra step, when not activating a Serve/Special, ACE if every opponent's combined Mental and Speed is less than 12. If ACE, opponent's HP decreases by 1.
K. T. [23.5, SB: 2, HP: 8, AR, L]
(SPE: 4.5, POW: 4, STA: 4, MEN: 5, TEC: 6)

One-shot Wonder [Auto]:
If an opponent's Support Lv with Kunimitsu Tezuka is >= 1, their Mental decreases by [Lv]. Cannot use the same Serve/Special more than once each match.

Zero Rebound Serve
Zero Rebound Drop Shot
Tezuka Zone
Tezuka Phantom
Pinnacle of Mastery

Is anyone gonna be upset if I put this guy in?
Chabonga Ngoepe [24, SB: 2, HP: 8, SV, R]
(SPE: 6, POW: 4, STA: 4, MEN: 4, TEC: 6)

Tricky Attack [Auto]:
Opponent's Speed decreases by 1. When checked by an ACE effect, Speed returns at +1. In the Extra step, when not activating a Serve/Special, ACE if every opponent's Mental is less than 5.

Sunshine Diamond [Special - Lv 5 - 1 STA]:
Data: Speed increases by 2, Power increases by 7.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Power and Mental is less than 10. If ACE, opponent's HP decreases by 4.

Cap of Denmark [25, SB: 2, HP: 12, CP, R]
(SPE: 4.5, POW: 4.5, STA: 7, MEN: 4.5, TEC: 4.5)

Viking King [Auto]:
During decisive points, when checked by an ACE effect, Mental returns at +3.

Seizure [Counter]:
Triggers whenever Hook Shot's ACE effect does not successfully activate. ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Technique is less than 9.

Hook Shot [Special - Lv 5 - 1 STA]:
Activation: Opponent's Specials with Lv <= 4 are negated.
Data: Technique increases by 5.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 10.

Gugnir [Special - Lv 6 - 2.5 STA]:
Data: Power increases by 4, Technique increases by 3.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Power is less than 12. If ACE and any opponent's Speed is less than 3, that opponent's HP decreases by 12.

Seakay

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If the fan league uses the Nationals format in a future season (S3 – D2 – S2 – D1 – S1), then using Hermes could be an interesting strategy in setting up a better D1.

I think Exhaustion Counters is the way to go with Vulcan.

Would Spirit Demon and Spirit Samurai be similar to the Spirit Pirate Auto, instead just swapping for Power and Technique checks respectively? That also brings up the issue of Ryoga’s Spirit Shogun and whether it will remain for the next season.

Maybe just to play devil’s advocate here then but changing both Pinnacle of Perfection and Spirit Moves to Autos isn’t that necessary. I believe the premise was that they shouldn’t be simultaneous, so having them be Specials helped separate them. If the Power boost was removed or replaced, I still wouldn’t be opposed to the Spirit moves remaining Specials.

I don’t oppose K.T. but feel like I’m missing a reference about him. Did he appear in NPoT media somewhere, or is he just an anti-Tezuka?

Cap of Denmark should keep that name, or at least change it to Captain Denmark.

About Akutsu - I’m still not sure how Eighth Consciousness could work best. My original idea from last month was that it could be similar to Kawamura’s Great Burning Serve, in that it was a a Counter Special and required something to force Akutsu into using it. He seems able to control it freely in the current chapters though, so maybe it’s just a high level move with a severe drawback that we’ll see next month.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Would Spirit Demon and Spirit Samurai be similar to the Spirit Pirate Auto, instead just swapping for Power and Technique checks respectively? That also brings up the issue of Ryoga’s Spirit Shogun and whether it will remain for the next season.
No, I want to do something a bit different for them. Like I said, it's kinda difficult to pinpoint because we haven't seen them a whole lot yet, but they should be more representative of the way they play in general. So in a way, yes, Speed will be Power for Oni and Technique for Ryoma, but the way the boost is determined isn't necessarily the same. E.g. for Oni I think his own Mental should play a part in how much his Power goes up.

I believe the premise was that they shouldn’t be simultaneous, so having them be Specials helped separate them. If the Power boost was removed or replaced, I still wouldn’t be opposed to the Spirit moves remaining Specials.
That was one of the big reasons, yes. My concern is that they might not be strong enough as Specials anymore.

I don’t oppose K.T. but feel like I’m missing a reference about him. Did he appear in NPoT media somewhere, or is he just an anti-Tezuka?
No, it's my response to people claiming Konomi broke the group league rules by having Tezuka play against both Tube and South Africa. In chapter 216, Tezuka was shown lining up against Tube after Germany beat them in straight sets and then he obviously plays his actual match in chapter 219. If we don't want to ignore that (which we honestly should because it probably doesn't mean anything), the only conclusion we can draw is that Germany has another player who looks just like Tezuka, right? Right. That reminded me of Niou vs Fuji in the nationals and KT are just the initials, similar to QP.

Cap of Denmark should keep that name, or at least change it to Captain Denmark.
It actually is a serious name proposal until Konomi says otherwise. If you recall, back when Akameche got his "name" on those buttons, it was really just a description. So I figured if Denmark's captain was ever featured that way, he'd just be "Captain of Denmark", which I shortened to Cap because apparently people actually use that as a short form for some names. The "of Denmark" part then led me to the House of Denmark and vikings, so I used that.

About Akutsu - I’m still not sure how Eighth Consciousness could work best. My original idea from last month was that it could be similar to Kawamura’s Great Burning Serve, in that it was a a Counter Special and required something to force Akutsu into using it. He seems able to control it freely in the current chapters though, so maybe it’s just a high level move with a severe drawback that we’ll see next month.
Yeah, it's still a tough call at this point. If he had to lose consciousness for real before being able to enter it, I think making it a variant of Great Burning Serve would be the way to go, but if he can just use it at any time from now on, I'll probably have it replace Formless Tennis as playstyle Auto (/merge them).
Jujiro Oni [22, SB: 2, HP: 10, AR, R]
(SPE: 3, POW: 5, STA: 5, MEN: 5, TEC: 4)

Gatekeeper of Hell [Coach]:
Activates before the 1st point and only if affiliation is MS. Stamina increases by 1.

Steady Training [Auto]:
If Speed, Power, Mental or Technique is lower than base Speed, base Power, base Mental, base Technique respectively, that stat increases to [base value].

Spirit Demon [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. Negated when Pinnacle of Perfection activates. Power increases by [2 + 9 - opponent's Mental] (Doubles: opponent with higher Mental), Mental increases by 2. In the Extra step, when not activating a Serve/Special, ACE if every opponent's combined Power and Mental is less than 11. If ACE, opponent's HP decreases by 10.

Pinnacle of Perfection [Counter]:
Triggers whenever opponent activates Pinnacle of Perfection. Cannot be copied. Cannot be negated. Speed increases by 2, Power increases by 2, Mental increases by 2, SB increases by 1. Lv of Serves/Specials increases by 2. Stamina cost for Serves/Specials becomes 0.5. [For Serves/Specials, numbers in brackets apply.]

Black Jack Knife [Special - Lv 4 - 0.5 STA]:
Activation: Opponent's Specials with Lv <= 3 [5] are negated.
Data: Power increases by 5.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's Power is less than 5 [6]. If ACE and an opponent's Power is less than 4 [5], that opponent's HP decreases by 3 [5].

10 Ball Strike [Special - Lv 4 - 1 STA]:
Data: Speed increases by 3 [4], Technique increases by 3 [4].
Extra: ACE if every opponent's Speed is less than 4 [5], their Mental is less than 4 [5] or their Technique is less than 4 [5]. If ACE, opponent's HP decreases by the difference between 10 [15] and that opponent's combined Speed and Mental.

I revamped Oni to see how it'd turn out. I'm not entirely sure about a number of things here, so comments are appreciated.

Last edited:

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I really like that Oni, his PoP fits perfectly as a counter. Speaking of that, though, shouldn't "Sunshine Diamond" also be a counter considering the nature of the move IRL is a counter to lobs? (unless I got the move wrong).

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Speaking of that, though, shouldn't "Sunshine Diamond" also be a counter considering the nature of the move IRL is a counter to lobs? (unless I got the move wrong).
I don't think it is? The way I understood it, it's just your regular aggressive shot. The idea was that if Zone pulls in all shots anyway, it doesn't matter when the ball's aimed straight at Tezuka's face, but Tezuka read his intentions and countered with Phantom instead.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Well, I had only checked the chapter once, so I thought he was just doing this but in a flashier way. But in reality he does that and in the same motion he teleports to the net and does a smash I guess? So yeah, not the same thing, sorry.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ryoma Echizen [23, SB: 1, HP: 7, AR, L]
(SPE: 5, POW: 3, STA: 4, MEN: 5, TEC: 6)

Super Rookie of the East [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. Can play S1 regardless of Total. If Support Lv = 0, Support Bonus becomes 0. Experience gain is doubled.

Spirit Samurai [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. Negated when Pinnacle of Perfection activates. Speed increases by [Point / 2], Technique increases by [Point / 2], Mental increases by 2. When not activating a Serve/Special, if Mental is equal to or exceeds an opponent's Mental, that opponent's Extra effects are negated.

Pinnacle of Perfection [Auto]:
Only activates through Tennis is Fun. Cannot be copied. Cannot be negated. Speed increases by 2, Power increases by 2, Mental increases by 2, SB increases by 2. Lv of Serves/Specials increases by 2. Stamina cost for Serves/Specials becomes 0.5. [For Serves/Specials, numbers in brackets apply.]

Tennis is Fun [Counter]:
Triggers whenever an opponent activates a Serve/Special with Lv >= 5 or the same Serve/Special on consecutive points. Mental increases by 1. When Mental increases through this effect for the third time, activate Pinnacle of Perfection during all subsequent points.

Twist Serve [Serve - Lv 3 - 1 STA]:
Data: Technique increases by 4.
Extra: ACE if any opponent's combined Speed and Technique is less than 7 [10].

Glowing Drive B [Special - Lv 6 - 0.5 STA]:
Data: Technique increases by [Mental].
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Power is less than 11 [13].

Well, here's Ryoma. Just like Oni, I think he'll be more difficult to use than before (because you can't control whether and when TnK kicks in), but he's pretty strong too, so I guess that's ok. He also suffers from the six move limit more than before, but I hope this is still a decent selection and I rolled some of his old abilities into one.

One thing I'm currently debating is whether to have the experience modifiers only for Ryoma, Kintarou etc. or also for someone like Mouri (obviously less of a boost). Because in case of the latter I'd simply add a column with every character's modifier to the spreadsheet instead of noting it in abilities. Any opinions here?

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I think characters like Mouri or Atobe deserve some sort of modifier, yeah. Of course, we would need to specifically list who do we think deserves such treatment and why.

I would like Tokugawa to have something like that too (but not around stats as he doesn't seem focused on that, rather, special moves or something like that. Maybe if he reaches max level he unlocks his own spirit bs? seems very out of character though, lol).

Btw TnK Glowing Drive B would be a level 8 Special?
Uhm, the fact that Drive B is way stronger than Twist Serve makes the latter a bit pointless, doesn't it? Can't really see many scenarios in which a person wouldn't pick Drive B.
Perfect Balance / Mr. Elite [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. Stats cannot increase through level ups. Every 3 levels, all stats increase by 0.5, level of Specials increases by 1, Specials ACE checks are increased by 2.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think characters like Mouri or Atobe deserve some sort of modifier, yeah. Of course, we would need to specifically list who do we think deserves such treatment and why.
Indeed. It depends on how many characters we think should get a modifier, but a rough outline could look like this:
  • x2: Special MSers only. So Ryoma, Kintarou, Atobe, Akutsu, maybe Tezuka, maybe Fuji.
  • x1.5: All other MSers (that were accepted into the camp) and special HSers (ones that entered the camp as 1st years, so Byoudouin, Oni, Tokugawa, Mouri, Hara, Balentien, Zeus, maybe Dorgias, maybe Ryoga, maybe the international captains).
  • x1: All other characters.
  • x0.5: Not sure if there's anyone who should have decreased exp, can't think of anyone from the top of my head.
Also characters like Tokugawa and Shiraishi would only get stat increases every other level-up and have +0.5 across the board.

I would like Tokugawa to have something like that too (but not around stats as he doesn't seem focused on that, rather, special moves or something like that. Maybe if he reaches max level he unlocks his own spirit bs? seems very out of character though, lol).
I don't think he'll get a Spirit since he's got Asura. I also don't think doing something with Specials is a bad idea, but regarding your specific proposal, Tokugawa doesn't have any effects that really benefit from that right now (I'm still debating whether to give him back GS, honestly not the biggest fan of that option). I've got nothing right now though, gotta think about it some more.

Btw TnK Glowing Drive B would be a level 8 Special?

Uhm, the fact that Drive B is way stronger than Twist Serve makes the latter a bit pointless, doesn't it? Can't really see many scenarios in which a person wouldn't pick Drive B.
Yeah, it'd be Lv 8.

And that's true, I mostly felt I should add Twist Serve since Kintarou also has his serve. Neither of them will see much use no matter what, but maybe making it a little better wouldn't hurt. 9 [12] for the ACE effect instead should do.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Well, even though Twist Serve is more iconic and you wanted to give him a serve, there is always "Drive A" as an option (a move that scores less but has KO potential).

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yeah, he does have other option. Besides Drive A, you also have Samurai Drive and COOL Drive for what it's worth. But I don't think either of them would be better than a glowing Drive B either (unless we just make it Glowing Drive A or something). But I figured he'd like a serve on the off-chance you want to put him in doubles since serves only require one opponent to fulfill the condition to ACE.

But I don't have a strong opinion on this either way, if you guys want a second Drive instead of a serve, I'll change it.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Ah I just suggested Drive A (meant a Glowing Version, yeah) cause I thought you didn't want to use Samurai nor Cool again.

Another option is giving him a Special that copies his opponent's move, as that's basically something he did for almost the entire series (even out of Muga). Something like Glowing Drive A and Super Sweet Drive B :p

Seakay

Reaction score
Country
United States
How about switching the stamina costs for Ryoma's Twist Serve and Glowing Drive B to make the former easier to use?

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Well as he explained to me last season -several times, sry Kaoz '-'''' - the stamina reduction is usually reserved to specific moves. In this case, a Glowing Shot would have reduced stamina. As I said, though, maybe making a special glowing and the other one simply affected by SPOT could be a nice alternative.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I assume SPOT = super sweet spot? Unfortunately it's essentially impossible to utilize the super sweet spot on a serve I think. The following conditions need to be fulfilled for SSS to work:

1) The spot in which the speed of the hit ball reaches its peak
2) The spot in which the racket has the least vibration
3) The spot where the impact on the arm is the least

When serving, the speed of the ball is always basically 0 when you hit it (and its not a "hit ball" in the first place), so you can never satisfy that first condition.

Also, regarding Samurai Drive, I'm mostly unsure about how good it is at this point since its main gimmick was splitting the ball into two, but since the top players can all hit 10 or more anyway, who knows if that's even meaningful anymore.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Yeah, meant the SSS, I derped. Dunno why i said Spot tbh, Ibu would be happy about it lol.

Not that I recall any Glowing Serve, but didn't Byoudouin hit a Glowing Shot at Tokugawa just by dropping the ball into his racket?

Well, tbh, returning to halves effectivly must be way harder than returning two balls, but I get what you meant.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Not that I recall any Glowing Serve, but didn't Byoudouin hit a Glowing Shot at Tokugawa just by dropping the ball into his racket?
Yeah, you're right. He actually hit it as an overhead right before then too now that I think about it (the one that sent Tokugawa flying, the dropped one's the one Ryoga returned). So yeah, I guess we could technically have a Glowing Twist Serve. Though in that case I'd probably give GDB a weaker point boost and add a Rising effect to it instead, otherwise they would indeed be very similar.
Something like this I guess:

Glowing Twist Serve [Serve - Lv 6 - 0.5 STA]:
Data: Technique increases by [Mental + 2].
Extra: ACE if any opponent's combined Speed and Technique is less than 9 [11].

Glowing Drive B [Special - Lv 6 - 0.5 STA]:
Data: Technique increases by [Mental]. Opposing server's SB decreases to 0. Opponent's Technique cannot increase through Serves.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Power is less than 11 [13].
In the meantime:

Kaoru Kaido [16.5, SB: 1, HP: 8, CP, R]
(SPE: 3, POW: 3, STA: 4.5, MEN: 3, TEC: 3)

Viper [Auto]:
Only activates with Kirihara or Momoshiro as partner. Whenever either partner successfully activates an ACE effect, the other's Mental permanently increases by 1.

Hunger [Auto]:
Only activates if Mental is 5 or higher. Speed increases by 1, Power increases by 1.

Next Generation [Auto]:
After losing a point while activating a Serve/Special, Mental permanently increases by 1. When checked by an ACE effect, stats return at +[number of times that ACE effect was activated before].

Short Snake [Special ‒ Lv 2]:
Activation: Only activates when not serving. Playstyle changes to Serve and Volley. Opponent's Specials with Lv <= 3 are negated.
Data: Technique increases by 3.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 5.

Gyro Laser [Special ‒ Lv 3 - 1 STA]:
Activation: Counts as Laser Beam. Negated if any opponent's combined Speed and Mental is 7 or higher. When activated through Tornado Snake, Lv becomes 5. If negated for the first time during a point, activate Tornado Snake.
Data: Power increases by 3, Technique increases by 1. When activated through Tornado Snake, instead Power increases by 5, Technique increases by 2.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 7. If activated through Gyro Laser, ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 10.

Tornado Snake [Special ‒ Lv 3 - 1 STA]:
Activation: Negated if any opponent's combined Mental and Technique is 7 or higher. When activated through Gyro Laser, Lv becomes 5. If negated for the first time during a point, activate Gyro Laser.
Data: Power increases by 1, Technique increases by 3. When activated through Gyro Laser, instead Power increases by 2, Technique increases by 5.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Mental and Technique is less than 7. If activated through Gyro Laser, ACE if every opponent's combined Mental and Technique is less than 10.

Takeshi Momoshiro [16, SB: 2, HP: 7, AB, R]
(SPE: 3, POW: 4, STA: 3, MEN: 3, TEC: 3)

Ruffian [Counter]:
Triggers whenever HP decreases or partner's HP decreases. Power permanently increases by 1, Speed permanently increases by 1.

Seigaku's Trickster [Counter]:
Triggers after successfully activating the ACE effects of two different Serves/Specials. If an opponent's Mental is less than 5, that opponent's Speed permanently decreases by 2.

Bullet Serve [Serve - Lv 2 - 1 STA]:
Activation: Can only be used once per match.
Data: Power increases by 3.
Extra: ACE if any opponent's Power is less than 4.

Instinct [Special - Lv 1 - 0 STA]:
Activation: Negated if any opponent's Mental is 6 or higher. Cannot be negated otherwise.
Data: Speed increases by 2, Mental increases by 2. Power decreases by 2. If an opponent's combined stats increase by 4 or less through that opponent's Serve/Special, the affected stats decrease by 1 instead.
Extra: ACE if Mental exceeds every opponent's Mental.

Dunk Smash [Special - Lv 2 - 1 STA]:
Activation: If an opponent's Special is negated, Lv becomes 5.
Data: Power increases by 3. If an opponent's Special is negated, Power increases by 7 instead.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Power and Technique is less than 7. If an opponent's Special is negated, ACE if every opponent's combined Power and Technique is less than 10.

Black Jack Knife [Special - Lv 4 - 0.5 STA]:
Activation: Opponent's Specials with Lv <= 3 are negated.
Data: Power increases by 5.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's Power is less than 5. If ACE and an opponent's Power is less than 4, that opponent's HP decreases by 3.
Liliadent Krauser [15, SB: 2, HP: 5, AR, R]
(SPE: 3, POW: 5, STA: 2, MEN: 2, TEC: 3)

Iceman [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. Requires 1 match more to establish a new Support Lv. If Support Lv = 0, Support Bonus becomes 0. If Support Lv >= 1 and partner's Mental is 4 or higher, Lv of Serves/Specials increases by 2.

Tenacity [Counter]:
Triggers the first three times Stamina would decrease to 0. Stamina decreases to 1 instead. Mental permanently increases by 1.

Southern Cross [Special - Lv 1 - 1 STA]:
Activation: After activation, Lv permanently increases by 1.
Data: Power increases by 1. If Lv is 3 or higher, Technique increases by 1.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's Speed is less than [Lv], their Mental is less than [Lv] or their Technique is less than [Lv]. If ACE, opponent's HP decreases by [Lv].

Seakay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Indeed. It depends on how many characters we think should get a modifier, but a rough outline could look like this:
  • x2: Special MSers only. So Ryoma, Kintarou, Atobe, Akutsu, maybe Tezuka, maybe Fuji.
  • x1.5: All other MSers (that were accepted into the camp) and special HSers (ones that entered the camp as 1st years, so Byoudouin, Oni, Tokugawa, Mouri, Hara, Balentien, Zeus, maybe Dorgias, maybe Ryoga, maybe the international captains).
  • x1: All other characters.
  • x0.5: Not sure if there's anyone who should have decreased exp, can't think of anyone from the top of my head.
Also characters like Tokugawa and Shiraishi would only get stat increases every other level-up and have +0.5 across the board.
Instead of including experience modifiers in an Auto, maybe it would be easier to list it with their stats as EM, especially if many characters would have something besides x1.

Ryoma Echizen [23, SB: 1, HP: 7, AR, L, EM: x2]
(SPE: 5, POW: 3, STA: 4, MEN: 5, TEC: 6)

Jujiro Oni [22, SB: 2, HP: 10, AR, R, EM: x1.5]
(SPE: 3, POW: 5, STA: 5, MEN: 5, TEC: 4)

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Instead of including experience modifiers in an Auto, maybe it would be easier to list it with their stats as EM, especially if many characters would have something besides x1.
We need a spreadsheet for current levels, exp needed for the next level-up and the order in which stats increase upon level-up anyway, so I was planning on just adding a column for the modifiers there.
Chotaro Otori [15, SB: 2, HP: 7, SV, R]
(SPE: 3, POW: 4, STA: 3, MEN: 2, TEC: 3)

Determined Cover [Auto]:
Triggers if Support Lv is 2 or higher and partner's Stamina becomes 0. Power increases by 1, Stamina increases by 1, Mental increases by 2.

Neo-Scud Serve [Serve ‒ Lv 3 - 1 STA]:
Data: Power increases by 4.
Extra: ACE if any opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 7.

Roaring Thunder [Special ‒ Lv 3 - 1 STA]:
Activation: Only activates on opponent's serve. Negated if opponent activates a Serve or opponent's SB is >= 3.
Data: Power increases by 3 + [opponent's SB].
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 8.

Ryo Shishido [17, SB: 1, HP: 6, CP, R]
(SPE: 4, POW: 3, STA: 3, MEN: 4, TEC: 3)

Hyoutei's Golden Pair [Auto]:
Only activates with Otori as partner. Partner's Mental cannot decrease. If High-Speed Super Rising is negated, partner's Mental increases by 1.

Re-Energize [Counter]:
Triggers before the 1st point and only after losing the previous match in this round. Mental permanently increases by 1. Opponent's Mental permanently decreases by 1.

High-Speed Super Rising [Special - Lv 2 - 1 STA]:
Data: Speed increases by 2. Opponent's SB becomes 0. Opponent's Technique cannot increase through Serves/Specials with Lv <= 4. If an increase is prevented this way, opponent's Speed decreases by 1.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's Speed is less than 4.

Inducement Formation [Formation]:
Only activates if Support is 3 or higher. Speed increases by 1, Mental increases by 1. Partner's Speed increases by 1, partner's Mental increases by 1.

Made some small changes to Hyoutei's GP. Shishido should be pretty usable like this, unfortunately Otori is still a bit bland, but there's not a whole lot to work with as far as he's concerned. Also, I forgot about Muga when revisiting Kaido, so his moveset will be adjusted accordingly.
Hiroshi Chinen [16, SB: 2, HP: 7, SV, R]
(SPE: 4, POW: 4, STA: 3, MEN: 3, TEC: 2)

Scary Face [Auto]:
If any opponent's Mental is less than 4, their Speed decreases by 1.

Sneak Attack [Auto]:
When activating Teleportation Step successfully, during the Extra step, ACE if every opponent's combined Mental and Speed is less than 7.

Teleportation Step [Special - Lv 1 - 0 STA]:
Activation: Negated in Singles if opponent's Technique is higher than 3.
Data: Speed increases by 3.

Rin Hirakoba [17, SB: 1, HP: 6, AB, R]
(SPE: 4, POW: 3, STA: 3, MEN: 3, TEC: 4)

Lone Wolf [Auto]:
Support Lv decreases by 1. Mental cannot decrease.

Giant Habu [Special - Lv 4 - 1 STA]:
Data: Power increases by 1, Technique increases by 4.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Mental and Technique is less than 9. If partner's Speed is 8 or higher, ACE if every opponent's combined Mental and Technique is less than 13 instead.

Yujiro Kai [15, SB: 1, HP: 5, AB, L]
(SPE: 3, POW: 2, STA: 3, MEN: 3, TEC: 4)

Reverse Lefty [Counter]:
Triggers the first time Viking Horn or Double Sword Style activates. If an opponent's Mental is less than 5, their Speed decreases by 1.

Viking Horn [Special - Lv 3 - 1 STA]:
Data: Speed increases by 1, Technique increases by 3.
Extra: If no opponent has successfully activated a Special, ACE if every opponent's combined Speed, Mental and Technique is less than 12. Else, ACE if every opponent's combined Speed, Mental and Technique is less than 9.

Double Sword Style [Special - Lv 6 - 1.5 STA]:
Unlock: Base Power - 3; Base Technique - 5.
Data: Speed increases by 4, Technique increases by 4.
Extra: If no opponent has successfully activated a Special, ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 12. Else, ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 10.

Eishiro Kite [21, SB: 1, HP: 8, AR, L]
(SPE: 4, POW: 3, STA: 5, MEN: 4, TEC: 5)

Hitman [Auto]:
When activating Omni-directional Teleportation Step successfully, during the Extra step, ACE if every opponent's combined Mental and Speed is less than 8. If ACE, opponent's HP decreases by 2.

Big Bang [Special - Lv 3 - 1 STA]:
Extra: ACE if any opponent's Power is less than 5.

Omni-directional Teleportation Step [Special - Lv 1 - 0 STA]:
Activation: Cannot be copied. Cannot be negated through Specials.

Giant Habu [Special - Lv 4 - 1 STA]:
Data: Power increases by 1, Technique increases by 4.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Mental and Technique is less than 9. If partner's Speed is 8 or higher, ACE if every opponent's combined Mental and Technique is less than 13 instead.

Double Sword Style [Special - Lv 6 - 1.5 STA]:
Data: Speed increases by 4, Technique increases by 4.
Extra: If no opponent has successfully activated a Special, ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 12. Else, ACE if every opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 10.

Kei Tanishi [14, SB: 2, HP: 6, SV, R]
(SPE: 3, POW: 5, STA: 1, MEN: 2, TEC: 3)

Weight Cycling [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. Only activates before the 1st point. If Energy is 2, Stamina increases by 2 and HP increases by 2.

Light-Footed [Auto]:
When checked by an ACE effect, Speed returns at +1.

Big Bang [Special - Lv 3 - 1 STA]:
Extra: ACE if any opponent's Power is less than 5.

Stretched things a bit as far as Shukuchihou and Kai in general are concerned, but that's the best way I could come with to make them useful. Also not quite sure what HP damage is appropriate for Hitman since the idea is that Kite hits the opponent's weak point - so if they've got one to exploit like Tohno, it should hurt a lot, but for everyone else it probably wouldn't be nearly as bad. Any different preferences here?
Sakuno Ryuzaki [7, SB: 0, HP: 2, AR, R]
(SPE: 2, POW: 1, STA: 1, MEN: 1, TEC: 3)

Lucky Charm [Reserve]:
Ryoma's Mental increases by 1. Ryoma's Mental cannot decrease. Ryoma's Autos cannot be negated.

Tutoring [Auto]:
Only activates with Ryoma on the same team. Mental increases by 1. Experience gain is doubled.

Charming Partner [Auto]:
Only activates with Ryoma as partner. Partner's Mental increases by 1. Partner's Mental cannot decrease. Partner's Autos are negated.

Cherry Girl [Auto]:
HP cannot decrease. If a decrease was prevented this way, partner's Mental permanently increases by 1 or [Support Lv] if Support Lv is > 1.

Perfect Swing [Special - Lv 3]:
Unlock: Base Technique - 5.
Data: Technique increases by 4.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's Speed is less than 5.

I'm not particularly happy with the Special, so if anyone has other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.
So I gave the experience system some more thought which resulted in this spread sheet. Note that I created the sheet itself quite a while ago already, so not all characters are on there yet.

In any case, as you can see, I'm picturing it like this right now:
  • Base Lv is calculated with both the initial base total and the character's age group (MS-1 = 1 to HS-3 = 6). The exact formula I went with for now is ROUND (((TOTAL / 5) + AGE) / 2).
  • The maximum level a character can reach is 10. This means, using the formula above, Ryoma can level up 7 times and Volk can level up 4 times for instance.
We have yet to discuss the experience modifier in detail. Do you guys think we should just make a rough list like the one I proposed a few posts ago or should we use a formula for this too? Something like ((TOTAL - (AGE x 2)) / 10) for example. I think using a formula would be kinda neat since we could differentiate quite a bit without putting in tons of effort, but the problem with it is that some characters that are actually stronger than their total suggests (Byoudouin and Fuji come to mind) would end up with lower growth rates than they should have.
What are you guys thinking for Amadeus' stats now? I'm torn between sticking with the 29 spread and make his abilities compensate for it or boost him up to 32. The way the main draw is arranged makes me think Amadeus/Volk might be equal (SF opponents) and Camus/Medanore might be equal (QF opponents) or all four of them might be equal which I could also see (in that case I'd probably go 31 across the board though and drop Byoudouin's Pirate's offset from 11 to 10).

Seakay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kaoz said:
Any different preferences here?
I do like Kai being able to unlock Double Sword Style if he gains enough experience, interesting idea. I think keeping Kite’s HP reduction at 2 is fine. Tohno is apt to hurt himself more with Execution.

Kaoz said:
I'm not particularly happy with the Special, so if anyone has other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.
I wouldn’t give her a special then. Her supporting Ryoma is her role anyway. In doubles, he’ll do most of the work anyway, considering their low base total should put them in D2 against the opponent’s weaker pair.

About experience levels - Do you have an idea of how effective the leveling system should be? How many characters do you want reaching level 10? Starting characters off at different levels is fine. Maybe have a base formula for experience but some characters should still have a modifier anyway to compensate for slower growth. Also, instead of characters having individual growths, it might be easier if growths were tied to playstyle. All-rounders would be more even, aggressive baseliners would focus on power, and so on.

Kaoz said:
What are you guys thinking for Amadeus' stats now?
I liked him mirroring Byoudoion at 29 and giving him some better abilities to compensate. His profile we worked out earlier needs some changes though, since I don’t think it is entirely reflective of what we saw now that the match concluded, especially what Dark Side does.