Discussion - Fanservice in Fairy Tail | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Fanservice in Fairy Tail

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Increasingly, the issue of fanservice and how characters are presented in the manga has become a huge point of discussion in the chapter discussion, so I thought this a good time as any to start this.

The aim of this thread is to constructively discuss how the fanservice produced by Mashima contributes/ affects your reading of the manga.

To many, this won't really be an issue, as the mangaka has always shown his fondness for drawing certain shots of female characters and in suggestive clothing.

Remember to be respectful of others opinions, but also avoid comparing Fairy Tail to other series. We are not here for that.

hoeru

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mauritius
The aim of this thread is to constructively discuss how the fanservice produced by Mashima contributes/ affects your reading of the manga.
Zero to none. Neither does it make me want to read the ongoing plot any faster out of thany raised addiction, nor brings it into any danger to make me want to cancel this manga. FT is not the best manga, but it's still way too joyful, as I've been starting to read Fairy Tail because I liked the humour that Mashima mixes with fan service and "brutality" towards his characters and never took the story too serious.

I also use to read manga only when I'm alone and undisturbed to end my days, so there's nothing to feel embarrassed while reading stories that contains nudity to a certain degree. People around me don't read manga anyways, so it's a personal hobby I could end anytime I feel unsatisfied by it.

AshCandyPop

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Last release was a downer and a total waste of my time. Release for this week seems to have been made for fan service and used more than usual 'sensual' scenes that makes me think Mishima used to garner interest from male readers. Makes me aloof but honestly I expected it a bit especially after I read HSDK.

FirenX

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

Let me say a thing or two on this situation. Calling Mashima and all his fans ''Pervs'' just because they liked this chapter with a bit of fanservice in it is just ridiculous and overboard. There are people who like Mashimas work and there are people who doesn't like it. But it's not just the fanservice this week, you guys complain every week, after week, after week, after week, after week. If you can't handle and understand good work and great talent, then just shut it off and stop reading god damn it. FT is one of the most popular and best Mangas around the block right now. In my opinion, it was a good chapter and he did a good job like he always does, because he tries everything to satisfy his fans and you really feel how he loves this job in every single chapter. And shows his supporters his appreciation by giving a little bit enjoyment in form of a little fanservice. Sure that this manga affects youngsters, too but do you honestly think that they are corrupted just by THAT? They all know ''How to do it'' by the end of age 11 today because you find 'Sexism' everywhere nowadays. So if you're so disgusted with this, why do you even continue to read it?

Don't be foolish.

Last edited:

KingOfNight

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Let me say a thing or two on this situation. Calling Mashima and all his fans ''Pervs'' just because they liked this chapter with a bit of fanservice in it is just ridiculous and overboard.
If I'm not mistaken, even his co-workers call him a "perv", and he refers to himself as such too. And in one chapter, he had a cover page of the girls in the beach and outright says that it's fanservice for pervs. So no, this is neither ridiculous nor overboard. In case of Hiro at least. I have no problem with fanservice if it's timed correctly, but when it's so worthless and forced like in this chapter, it's kind of annoying, not to mention a waste of time. Not the fanservice itself, but how it's presented.

If cou can't handle and understand good work and great talent, then just shut it off and stop reading god damn it.
If Mashima himself understands that he went overboard with this one, who are we to say it's okay and a good chapter? If you like it it's cool, but we aren't at fault because we don't share your point of view.

Last edited:

hoeru

Reaction score
Country
Mauritius

If Mashima himself understands that he went overboard with this one, who are we to say it's okay and a good chapter?
Oh, and I thought you guys would have a mind to build an opinion of your own... I mean, most of the time Mashima is very confident about his work, and you still keep saying chapters are bad...

KingOfNight

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Oh, and I thought you guys would have a mind to build an opinion of your own... I mean, most of the time Mashima is very confident about his work, and you still keep saying chapters are bad...
If you acknowledge that I keep saying the chapters are bad (which I don't remember saying for a while since I'm hardly here, nor did I say that THIS chapter is bad), then you were right to think we guys have a mind to build an opinion of our own.

obamamania

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm fine with it because it's many times used for comic relief and it isn't glaring enough to be distracting. If you want a discussion on how fanservice becomes a perverted disaster, then read Kenichi where even intense and emotional scenes are overrun with it. I roll my eyes every chapter now, whereas with Fairy Tail I never even think about it.

AshCandyPop

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I am neither a hater nor fan of FT. I read FT as I find it enjoyable enough and I am okay with a bit of fan service. But I find the last release going overboard the 'usual' fan service he does and I am not comfortable with it. May be it is because of a girl thing, or may be it just is not to my taste but whatever the cause I do not like it.

Now does that make FT bad over all? No. Will I still read the next releases? Yes. But if it becomes like that of Kenichi (HSDK), I WILL STOP.

In the question of whether FT fans are pervs? It lacks sufficient proof but to those who will say that the last release is the best one thus far.... a red flag to you.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I have read outrageous seinen which I enjoyed like ichi the killer in which you can see a hero who masturbate each time he kill someone and an antagonist who is a sadist psychopath ... But I just don t expect a peep show from a manga about friendship and adventure. Fairy tail doesn t need this fan service to be entertaining. It doesn t serve the story in any way. It s just free voyeurism, a cheap and lazy way to entertain. Last chapter was a doujinshi. Even the author know he was wrong.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think as long as he continues to offer choice scenes for Gray and Natsu then I can easily overlook the Lucy and etc panels. Initially got into the series cause of Gray, so good.

Marche

Reaction score
Country
Italy
It was quite funny when Gray and Natsu said that they already saw them naked so much that they are already used to it.fa
I am not surprised that Erza has not problem with them there, since even during their training before of the tournament (I don't remember the chapter, but it was in the fourth OAV) She said that they could join them.
I liked the fanservice, it was not a problem for me, except for that of Wendy, that disturbed me (just that of Mavis in the fourth OAV), that can pleasure only the pedophiles.

Anyways it is funny that her was shy and tried to cover herself, counting that she is just a kid, she has nothing to cover.
I don't even liked Lucy, she has big breast and sometime even a good face, but she is fat, I don't like her butt.
Erza instead has a good face, big breast and usually even a good ass, even if sometime even her butt is quite fat, as in the last page, her butt seem enormous.

I would have preferred if even Lluvia would be of this arc, particularly previously, infact I would have preferred if Lluvia would be the one that encouraged Gray to defeat Doriate and not Urtear (infact Urtear came from nowhere, even if I admit than that time I liked her appearance but only because I thought that she had something to do with the ice or with the voice that Natsu had heard).
Obviously I would have liked if she would be in this chapter as well, infact I think would be funny if she would bath with Gray, just like happened between Erza and Natsu.

Anyways is quite strange, infact in the bathroom scene Lluvia is always shy, she always covers herself, just like in chapter 341 or even during the training arc for the game, that is it in the third OAV. At the opposite there are sometime in which she is willing to strip herself, for example if I remember well in a chapter between Edolas arc and the S class test.
Just for this reason if Happy will say her what happened in this chapter She could decide to strip herself for Gray.
As a last thing regarding the fanservice I must say it was very funny the last page between Natsu and Erza.

jimtors

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I think that this is one of those weeks where Mashima just focused on art and not plot.. or plot plot plot!!!hahaaha

exacta

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Let me say a thing or two on this situation. Calling Mashima and all his fans ''Pervs'' just because they liked this chapter with a bit of fanservice in it is just ridiculous and overboard.
Hiro Mashima IS a perv though. Your not a perv just because you read FT, but I mean seriously.....let's be realistic. If one of us somehow got the chance to meet Hiro Mashima, I'm pretty sure he would have no problems admitting he's a perv. How is he NOT a perv? I'm not trying to incite an argument, I'm just honestly baffled how someone could read 'Mashima's a perv" and get bothered by it. It's not an insult. It's just what he is when it comes to his drawing style.....he likes to draw women naked, most all with big tits and big ass, usually in perverted/erotic positions. How does this not come from a perverted mind?! I mean it's not as ridiculous as getting upset for someone calling the author of say, History's Strongest Disciple, a perv, but still, there's no reason to be bothered by it. I mean seriously, we have people calling other uses retarded for saying that? That's scary man.

Dude, getting mad at someone for calling Mashima a perv is equally as logical as getting angry at someone for calling FT a shounen.

Last edited:

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

I'm fine with it because it's many times used for comic relief and it isn't glaring enough to be distracting. If you want a discussion on how fanservice becomes a perverted disaster, then read Kenichi where even intense and emotional scenes are overrun with it. I roll my eyes every chapter now, whereas with Fairy Tail I never even think about it.
Whereas many mangakas fail with using fanservice, only Mashima and Akamatsu succeed with it. Unlike many other mangas, the fanservice in FT doesn't feel forced as hell. I can't really tell the reason why, but I think they work because it's fun. It also helps that he tends to make lampshades of them, which, I think is his brand of humor. Maybe that's why they feel so refreshing unlike others which just force the fanservice without learning to properly utilize it.

liductan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've have never realize fanservice in Ft. It's always been there and it never bothered me..I just didn't care, its rather fun and entertaining and didn't feel like fanservice.
Recently, it feels like the author is exploiting this area a little more than usual. I just felt like this last release was a waste of time...It felt wrong, wrong place and time. I didn't expect it to happen, we were in the middle of a big development..

REN KOUEN

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
i dont see the point of this thread

if mashima puts fanservice in the chapter, what is the sin in talking about it in the chapter discussion if it is in the chapter

now i dont think we should have in depth analysis of it

but are we really going to start deleting posts from the chapter discussion if someone says "wow did you see that one panel of lucy"

this is who mashima is, he loves fanservice, and he has perhaps the best artwork of any mangaka

so if he emphasises fan service in a particular chapter, we should be able to mention it in the chapter discussoin

i am not critisizing anyone, this is just my opinion

liductan

Reaction score
Country
United States

if mashima puts fanservice in the chapter, what is the sin in talking about it in the chapter discussion if it is in the chapter
I been wondering the same thing..

nitsthegame

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India

this is who mashima is, he loves fanservice, and he has perhaps the best artwork of any mangaka
This is something that makes me attracted to FT. The plot is not great but good enough to continue reading, its a typical shounen plot :)

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania

There is no sin, but this thread provides the opportunity to go in depth about the current, past, and future chapter too, leaving room for more topics to be discussed in the chapter thread that are actually related to the chapter...

There's always fanservice in FT, or let me say, there's always ecchi in FT, but it's too broad and it appears very frequently, and there's no use for having the same people say the exact same things about the same drawing style of the mangaka every week. You can focus your thoughts about ecchi here from now on.

However this was explained in the opening post of the thread as well, but I chose to reply to this, to make it clear for everyone, why from sometimes we remove certain topics from the chapter threads. This occasion in not the first, and it won't be the last either.

So let's stop discussing moderation decisions in threads dedicated to manga discussion. If anyone else has any opinions or complaints, address them directly to the staff, and let others discuss the manga, because that's why they come here.
---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Hiro Mashima IS a perv though. Your not a perv just because you read FT, but I mean seriously.....let's be realistic. If one of us somehow got the chance to meet Hiro Mashima, I'm pretty sure he would have no problems admitting he's a perv. How is he NOT a perv? I'm not trying to incite an argument, I'm just honestly baffled how someone could read 'Mashima's a perv" and get bothered by it. It's not an insult. It's just what he is when it comes to his drawing style.....he likes to draw women naked, most all with big tits and big ass, usually in perverted/erotic positions. How does this not come from a perverted mind?! I mean it's not as ridiculous as getting upset for someone calling the author of say, History's Strongest Disciple, a perv, but still, there's no reason to be bothered by it. I mean seriously, we have people calling other uses retarded for saying that? That's scary man.

Dude, getting mad at someone for calling Mashima a perv is equally as logical as getting angry at someone for calling FT a shounen.
I think the problem with this stems from the distortion of the word perverted or perv...like you said it: "perverted/erotic"....perverted is not the same as erotic, let's get that straight, and perverted is a strong word, which in its sexual sense, means that Mashima is a deviant in an abnormal, or repulsive way...

The word "perv" gets thrown around a lot, whenever there's something even slightly suggestive, which is wrong I think, because perv is a strong and perhaps in many cases an offensive word

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

I've have never realize fanservice in Ft. It's always been there and it never bothered me..I just didn't care, its rather fun and entertaining and didn't feel like fanservice.
Recently, it feels like the author is exploiting this area a little more than usual. I just felt like this last release was a waste of time...It felt wrong, wrong place and time. I didn't expect it to happen, we were in the middle of a big development..
That's when it always happens though, if you look back on previous arcs...heroes succeed, there's a celebration, then new arc starts, but there's another celebration, to remind us of friendship and all the other tropes...some chapters are designed just for partying, even though it's in the middle of a training, or some development...

This chapter brought nothing new to the table, except the angles of some of the more suggestive panels...like the one with Natsu and Erza, which btw is a pretty comical situation, considering how Erza got in that pose...

So for me it didn't feel forced at all, but I was a bit surprised that Natsu actually went to wash Erza's back, which says that the bonds in FT are very strong and the members are close and natural around each other...but I also knew that it won't be interpreted this way, after I saw the last panel, and pretty much expected the uproar in the forums :XD

Last edited: