Discussion Fanservice in Fairy Tail

REN KOUEN

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
5,480
Reaction score
1,292
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There is no sin, but this thread provides the opportunity to go in depth about the current, past, and future chapter too, leaving room for more topics to be discussed in the chapter thread that are actually related to the chapter...

There's always fanservice in FT, or let me say, there's always ecchi in FT, but it's too broad and it appears very frequently, and there's no use for having the same people say the exact same things about the same drawing style of the mangaka every week. You can focus your thoughts about ecchi here from now on.

However this was explained in the opening post of the thread as well, but I chose to reply to this, to make it clear for everyone, why from sometimes we remove certain topics from the chapter threads. This occasion in not the first, and it won't be the last either.

So let's stop discussing moderation decisions in threads dedicated to manga discussion. If anyone else has any opinions or complaints, address them directly to the staff, and let others discuss the manga, because that's why they come here.
---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------



I think the problem with this stems from the distortion of the word perverted or perv...like you said it: "perverted/erotic"....perverted is not the same as erotic, let's get that straight, and perverted is a strong word, which in its sexual sense, means that Mashima is a deviant in an abnormal, or repulsive way...

The word "perv" gets thrown around a lot, whenever there's something even slightly suggestive, which is wrong I think, because perv is a strong and perhaps in many cases an offensive word

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------



That's when it always happens though, if you look back on previous arcs...heroes succeed, there's a celebration, then new arc starts, but there's another celebration, to remind us of friendship and all the other tropes...some chapters are designed just for partying, even though it's in the middle of a training, or some development...

This chapter brought nothing new to the table, except the angles of some of the more suggestive panels...like the one with Natsu and Erza, which btw is a pretty comical situation, considering how Erza got in that pose...

So for me it didn't feel forced at all, but I was a bit surprised that Natsu actually went to wash Erza's back, which says that the bonds in FT are very strong and the members are close and natural around each other...but I also knew that it won't be interpreted this way, after I saw the last panel, and pretty much expected the uproar in the forums :XD
thats cool

i definitely wasnt complaining only voicing my opinion, i didnt know that was taboo, ill just PM someone next time

im sorry bene but i cant help but laugh at your custom tag of "master pussy stroker" :lmao

back on topic since this is the fanservice thread

i literally went back and read the chapter just to get more erza




and of course the greatest panel


that look on erzas face is hilarious :lmao

[bene]It's not taboo, it's off topic:p


:D[/bene]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

I mean seriously, we have people calling other uses retarded for saying that? That's scary man.
I'm sorry but complaining about fanservice in Fairy Tail is pretty retarded. This is the type of thing the term "tard" was invented to describe. "Noobish" would also be a fair description. Fairy Tail has always had fanservice. It's a part of the series, always has been, always will be. Complaining about something that has been a part of the manga for 355 chapters and eight years is just weird. These complaints seem completely disingenuous, complaining for the sake of complaining. If anyone does not like mild fanservice, they should drop Fairy Tail immediately. And the fanservice in Fairy Tail is It's a part of the story. It's mind boggling how anyone could read so many chapters and still complain about something that has been such a constant presence. For lack of a better word,"Tard" or "noob" would be a pretty appropriate descriptor. A little harsh, but still a fair description.

Dude, getting mad at someone for calling Mashima a perv is equally as logical as getting angry at someone for calling FT a shounen.
Perv might be an inappropriately harsh word. A lot of cleavage, and a little ass, is hardly pervy. Tentacle porn is pervy. Fairy Tail is pretty PG-13.
 

KingOfNight

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,314
Reaction score
694
Gender
Male
Country
Fire Nation
^ Fanservice did always exist in Fairy Tail. But not like this chapter...no. Definitely not. Calling other people "retarded" because they didn't like this recent chapter is definitely not appropriate. Especially considering the author himself knew there will be people disliking it, but he didn't call them retarded. Personally, I really don't care much about the Fanservice 'cause I stopped taking this Manga seriously since the end of the GMG. But I can definitely relate to the people who hate this chapter.
 

REN KOUEN

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
5,480
Reaction score
1,292
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

I'm sorry but complaining about fanservice in Fairy Tail is pretty retarded. This is the type of thing the term "tard" was invented to describe. "Noobish" would also be a fair description. Fairy Tail has always had fanservice. It's a part of the series, always has been, always will be. Complaining about something that has been a part of the manga for 355 chapters and eight years is just weird. These complaints seem completely disingenuous, complaining for the sake of complaining. If anyone does not like mild fanservice, they should drop Fairy Tail immediately. And the fanservice in Fairy Tail is It's a part of the story. It's mind boggling how anyone could read so many chapters and still complain about something that has been such a constant presence. For lack of a better word,"Tard" or "noob" would be a pretty appropriate descriptor. A little harsh, but still a fair description.



Perv might be an inappropriately harsh word. A lot of cleavage, and a little ass, is hardly pervy. Tentacle porn is pervy. Fairy Tail is pretty PG-13.
its not even as fanservice-y as kenichi

the fanservice in fairy tail is harmless, its nice T&A for the teen-young adult demographic that shounen manga is intended for

hell im 31 and i still like fan service, thats not the reason i read FT, but im not gonna complain about it :nosebleed

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

^ Fanservice did always exist in Fairy Tail. But not like this chapter...no. Definitely not. Calling other people "retarded" because they didn't like this recent chapter is definitely not appropriate. Especially considering the author himself knew there will be people disliking it, but he didn't call them retarded. Personally, I really don't care much about the Fanservice 'cause I stopped taking this Manga seriously since the end of the GMG. But I can definitely relate to the people who hate this chapter.
there were a few chapters where it was pretty close to this one

the chapter with erza and mira jane in the "punishment game" was definitely hot and steamy (i cant remember which chapter it was but it featured mira jane spanking erza in a maid outfit :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed
 

KingOfNight

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,314
Reaction score
694
Gender
Male
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

there were a few chapters where it was pretty close to this one

the chapter with erza and mira jane in the "punishment game" was definitely hot and steamy (i cant remember which chapter it was but it featured mira jane spanking erza in a maid outfit :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed :nosebleed
That chapter was more or less funny. Not mention it was an Omake. And it wasn't forced like in this chapter.
 

REN KOUEN

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
5,480
Reaction score
1,292
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

That chapter was more or less funny. Not mention it was an Omake. And it wasn't forced like in this chapter.
the only time i dont like the fanservice is when its a serious situation
like when lucy was trying to close the celestial gate and there was a bunch of lucy fanservice....
not that i dont like seeing lucys body, but i would prefer the serious moments remain serious
 

KingOfNight

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,314
Reaction score
694
Gender
Male
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

the only time i dont like the fanservice is when its a serious situation
like when lucy was trying to close the celestial gate and there was a bunch of lucy fanservice....
not that i dont like seeing lucys body, but i would prefer the serious moments remain serious
As I said before, I don't dislike the fanservice itself but how it's presented.
 

Anduren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2010
Messages
575
Reaction score
376
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

I think the problem with this stems from the distortion of the word perverted or perv...like you said it: "perverted/erotic"....perverted is not the same as erotic, let's get that straight, and perverted is a strong word, which in its sexual sense, means that Mashima is a deviant in an abnormal, or repulsive way...

The word "perv" gets thrown around a lot, whenever there's something even slightly suggestive, which is wrong I think, because perv is a strong and perhaps in many cases an offensive word
This is probably the big misunderstanding here. Personally, I'm used to watching so many anime where the word "pervert" gets thrown around (by one character to another) so often for simple things like accidentally getting a peek under a skirt or something so I've always been under the impression that in the context of manga/anime, the word pervert was used by people to describe stuff that is inappropriate for the eyes of young kids. Maybe people who use the word here means more "inappropriate" than "abnormal" or "repulsive."

At least in most anime, the reaction of characters on the receiving end of that word have a more embarrassed reaction than an offended one; so as a viewer, I never expected a great stigma attached to it (and here I thought all this time I had a perverted mind when I've been putting myself down for child's play).

Fairy Tail has always had fanservice. It's a part of the series, always has been, always will be. Complaining about something that has been a part of the manga for 355 chapters and eight years is just weird. These complaints seem completely disingenuous, complaining for the sake of complaining. If anyone does not like mild fanservice, they should drop Fairy Tail immediately. And the fanservice in Fairy Tail is It's a part of the story. It's mind boggling how anyone could read so many chapters and still complain about something that has been such a constant presence. For lack of a better word,"Tard" or "noob" would be a pretty appropriate descriptor. A little harsh, but still a fair description.
Honestly, the word "fanservice" wasn't even a part of my vocabulary until I noticed people making such a fuss over it recently in Fairy Tail. I only started reading the chapters where the anime stopped and having mostly only seen the anime, I didn't notice much that was inappropriate until I got to the manga. It makes me wonder how much stuff they edited out in every episode. :teehee

Anyways, I don't think there's anything wrong with a manga or anime that has such a style and I don't think there's anything wrong with people who enjoy it. But between the Fairy Tail manga and anime, I probably wouldn't mind so much watching the anime with people near by; but I don't know if I can say the same for reading the manga in public without feeling a bit embarrassed.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,293
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I don't like the fanservice because it feels like Mashima's desperately trying to attempt to attract or keep viewers so he can keep making money. I personally find it annoying, as much as I like fanservices.
 

-Ken-

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
4,229
Reaction score
641
Gender
Male
Country
Thailand
Call me gay or whatever, but I never really notice the fan service. Maybe I watch/read too many anime/manga. It'll have to be something on the level of To Love Ru or Rosario Vampire anime for me to be like, man, this is too distracting (I don't even notice the fan service in those two manga, actually). Fairy Tail is nowhere near that level.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Call me gay or whatever, but I never really notice the fan service. Maybe I watch/read too many anime/manga. It'll have to be something on the level of To Love Ru or Rosario Vampire anime for me to be like, man, this is too distracting (I don't even notice the fan service in those two manga, actually). Fairy Tail is nowhere near that level.
Nah, I think you're just asexual ;)

Anyways, I agree with this very much. The people calling out Fairy Tail's fanservice being on a ridiculous level is a pretty outrageous claim. And you know what? I think I'm beginning to see a pattern with Mashima's fanservices. Most of the fanservice-y chapters are usually done as a breather episode of sorts.

In fact, the execution of the current chapter's fanservice is perfectly fine to me. It follows Mashima's pattern. Not only that, it worked perfectly with the information divulged (and the reveal of FT's Founding Fathers' ideals). Mashima set up a laid-back, relaxed atmosphere to support the recent plot reveal. It served nicely to accompany the important stuff.

Just because a major plot reveal is being revealed, it doesn't mean you have to do it in a serious atmosphere. You can do it in a laid-back atmosphere as well, and if Mashima wants to go to the extremes for that atmosphere, then so be it. In fact, I wasn't even bothered by the fanservice at all. Why? because my attention was too preoccupied with Warrod's information to actually enjoy the fanservice. Hell, I even forgot for a moment this was a fanservice chapter. This is how you use fanservice.

Even the naked bell chapter was greatly executed. It actually helped Natsu to divert his attention away from Rouge to think up of something to fight the dragons with.
 

Junior

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
1,504
Reaction score
1,409
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I've read a lot of posts in other threads about this.

One person threw out the whole "omg stop being a prude, a naked body isn't that big of a deal. he does it in almost every chapter, obsessing over something so trivial". I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist of the argument.

True, a naked body isn't something to be "condemned" but I think it has a lot to do with context. In this chapter you can say that there was a reason for such blatant fanservice: the Guild members were winding down after a hard fought battle.

Fine, sure.

But there are more tactful and, dare I say, tasteful ways to present such a scene. I believe this was entirely too much and, for me, it detracted from the overall story. Not in the sense that I was staring at the screen with a "BOOBIES! O____O" expression but..yeah, I was more than a little disappointed.

Fanservice is one thing but to me this felt like softcore porn.

Of course, I'll probably get flamed with the whole: "ugh he does it so much, if you dont like the manga then dont read it!1!!"
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I suppose that for those who have read enough mangas, they can most certainly block out the fanservice in favor of the plot happening at the same time (much like this chapter).

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

EDIT: Forgot to add, I think the main point of frustration is that people are making out FT to be this gratuitous fanservice series, when in fact that is not absolutely true. There are many other mangas who deserve that billing. To-Love-Ru and Rosario+Vampire being one of them.
 

Junior

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
1,504
Reaction score
1,409
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I suppose that for those who have read enough mangas, they can most certainly block out the fanservice in favor of the plot happening at the same time (much like this chapter).

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

EDIT: Forgot to add, I think the main point of frustration is that people are making out FT to be this gratuitous fanservice series, when in fact that is not absolutely true. There are many other mangas who deserve that billing. To-Love-Ru and Rosario+Vampire being one of them.
To be honest, I haven't even commented on the series as a whole.

It's just this >one< chapter that made feel like having to post in this thread in the first place. I mean, surely there were other chapters that made me raise an eyebrow but this one kinda took the cake.

Not even saying that it's the worst offender.

It just feels like those ads where you have a product on a table surrounded by half naked women taking jello shots out of each others bellybuttons. Yeah, it's cool that there are naked chicks and all but..what does that have to do with the product?

Pretty big exaggeration but the point remains.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
LOL, I get your analogy. But this is just me, though. I've already given an example of how this chapter's fanservice is more like a blob of delicious mashed potato accompanying a big, juicy steak. Going by that analogy, think about it. When you read manga, the first thing your eyes would be directed to would be the text, right? by taking into account of that psychological routine, wouldn't the story presented in the text have more of a lasting effect rather than the fanservice?

The human mind is more likely to be affected by the first thing it sees. That's why I barely noticed this was supposed to be a fanservice chapter. My mind instead is filled more with my anticipation from the revelation.
 

REN KOUEN

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
5,480
Reaction score
1,292
Gender
Male
Country
United States
the only negative side to the fan sevice is the degrading of women's dignity especially the main characters

this manga is a shounen and is mainly intended for males, however it does have numerous female fans.

now it is not mashimas responsibility to make everyone happy, however i could see where some female fans may have trouble supporting or identifying with group of female main characters who wear skimpy outfits and get exposed for fanservice

personally i love the fanservice, but i could see where some female fans find it disrespectful
 

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
3,313
Reaction score
2,810
Gender
Hidden
Country
Colombia
FT Fanservice doesn't affect FT quality of the story at all. It didn't make the story better nor worse; it simply is there. Neither it tells much about the mangaka's talent in regards to if he's capable of tell a good story or not. Personally I think the story is not good, but only because of features related to the plot which are off topic here. That's for the literary part.

But for the commercial part, I agree with M3J, that it looks like the author wants to make more money with the fanservice. Or like, if he would be thinking that his story is not good enough to grant the fandom now it has, if he wouldn't have using fanservice. I think it's a shame because his art is really great.
 

REN KOUEN

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
5,480
Reaction score
1,292
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well mashima's art is very pleasing to the eye

he may be he best artist in the manga industry, so naturally his fan service is top notch


i am not sure if he will earn more because of it
 

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 7, 2009
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
13,733
Gender
Female
Country
Winterfell
It's difficult to talk about FT's fanservice without getting a little bit off topic. Actually, there is nothing wrong with fanservice. You see it in many other series, though not in that scale but whatever. My main issue with FT is that relevant elements in this series are really bad. Plot, plot progression, fights, villains and so on. Adding a shitload of fanservice on top of that just makes it worse, because you get the impression that the author doesn't even care about the other, more important elements of his story.

The fanservice itself is not the problem. It becomes a problem when - in your opinion - there is nothing the series shines with. Literally.
 

KingOfNight

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,314
Reaction score
694
Gender
Male
Country
Fire Nation
My main issue with FT is that relevant elements in this series are really bad. Plot, plot progression, fights, villains and so on. Adding a shitload of fanservice on top of that just makes it worse, because you get the impression that the author doesn't even care about the other, more important elements of his story.
An unfortunate truth. I saw many who believe that Hiro doesn't care about the story but mainly focus on the fanservice. And even though I'd like to defend FT at those times...I can't exactly say they're wrong.
 
Top