Discussion Fanservice in Fairy Tail

THM Nindo

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
7,852
Reaction score
4,153
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Nothing about fanservice this week?!
Honestly, after this week chapter, I was expecting 3 more pages in this thread! :tem

I guess it was kinda working with the plot this time, so it isn't that bad.
 
Last edited:

REN KOUEN

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
5,480
Reaction score
1,292
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Nothing about fanservice this week?!
Honestly, after this week chapter, I was expecting 3 more pages in this thread! :tem

I guess it was kinda working with the plot this time, so it isn't that bad.
i was loving the naked eraz panels

wow that was awesome hopefully natsu sees her like that and says something about it :nosebleed
 

ca12nag3

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
3,261
Reaction score
659
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
i was loving the naked eraz panels

wow that was awesome hopefully natsu sees her like that and says something about it :nosebleed
I doubt it. It is not a comical scene. Shes naked with scars all over her, pissed herself and is crying out in pain. What we will see is Natsu in rage x10. If anything could get him angry its his *sister* being hurt and humiliated like this.
Hes gonna kill some people if he had the ability to do so but that i doubt atm.
 

IVovacane

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 9, 2014
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I like it. It brings about more attention to the manga and humor to the comedy relief.
 

Nonlife

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2008
Messages
1,006
Reaction score
177
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's a bit more excessive than in Hiro's earlier works, and who knows how much he'll take it in his next 'masterpiece.'
 

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 1, 2015
Messages
5,838
Reaction score
16,823
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I don't mind the fanservice in Fairy Tail. It helps to convey a certain feeling Hiro wants the reader to feel, and I'm fine with that. If its to provide comic relief, its alright. I haven't seen Hiro go over the top at all tbh, so as long as he doesn't push it too far, I'm totally fine with it.
 

randimari

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2017
Messages
105
Reaction score
248
Age
33
Country
United States
Interesting thread I found from lurking :cheez. Honestly don't have a problem with fanservice, coming from a girl who is heterosexual. Sure, seeing girls with their clothes ripped off is eye appeasing for guys and also can be distracting but I don't complain when Gray strips or when I see Laxus with his shirt off fighting :hearts. Plus, FT is classied as an ecchi manga. It's serialized in WSM which contains many other ecchis mangas. Fanservice I love when it's in non-serious scenes but I can admit when used in serious scenes it can take away from the mood. Lucy trying to seduce the store owner in chapter 1 gave me an idea what I was signing up for :teehee.
 

liductan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
854
Reaction score
3,074
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I don't mind the fanservice in Fairy Tail. It helps to convey a certain feeling Hiro wants the reader to feel, and I'm fine with that. If its to provide comic relief, its alright. I haven't seen Hiro go over the top at all tbh, so as long as he doesn't push it too far, I'm totally fine with it.

I wasn't feeling that scene with Erza being naked and torture at all.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Interesting thread I found from lurking :cheez. Honestly don't have a problem with fanservice, coming from a girl who is heterosexual. Sure, seeing girls with their clothes ripped off is eye appeasing for guys and also can be distracting but I don't complain when Gray strips or when I see Laxus with his shirt off fighting :hearts. Plus, FT is classied as an ecchi manga. It's serialized in WSM which contains many other ecchis mangas. Fanservice I love when it's in non-serious scenes but I can admit when used in serious scenes it can take away from the mood. Lucy trying to seduce the store owner in chapter 1 gave me an idea what I was signing up for :teehee.
Gray is probably the only one nice to look at. Most of the guys have average face and not as good look as the women. They don't strip as much. The fan service was okay before but I feel like it's losing its appeal because it's occurring more often in situations it shouldn't.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I don't have much issue with fanservice either. Being a guy is obviously an advantage to it. I agree though, when fanservice is used in scenes when it's supposed to be more serious and life-threatening it takes away from the tension and mood of the room. Fanservice in scenes like the ending of the Sun Village arc at Warrod's springs are perfectly fine, just cause they were all hanging out until Natsu brought up the Book of END. Hiro said in the Zero interview that he actually tries to give women more fanservice but it's harder to do than it is for guys, which is why he enjoyed drawing a naked Zeref when Mavis met him the first time. The torture scene in Tartaros was meant to be an extreme scene to show how Etherious belittle humans, not saying it was greatness but it's how the story was being told. Mard Geer disciplined Kyoka anyway for playing around so I understood it all. Natsu and Lisanna being naked in the cell is the same thing.
 

Nemispelled

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
2,335
Reaction score
3,740
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't mind fanservice either. I'm no Jacob. :notrust

And usually, it's not the fanservice that bothers me. It's the timing of it that can be irritating or annoying. During fillers or when FT has some downtime, fanservice can be pretty funny and humorous.

But when we have all the Tartaros demons or Spriggans facing off against Fairy Tail's best, I think that fanservice really ruins the suspense. Especially when the situation is supposed to have some suspense, desperation, or emotional consequences.

Having a random boob fall out and shoved in people's faces takes away the hyped nature of a battle. It becomes more of a sex appeal show than an actual battle.

As long as fanservice doesn't interrupt important scenes constantly, then I'm ok with it.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Naked Erza being tortured isn't really fan service though, is it? Doughboy's post kinda explains it.

That said, most fan services, especially with Natsu and Lucy, are annoying and brain cell-killing, especially during serious moments. When done in a non-serious moments, I'll put up with it, but to cut the tension away with something stupid and forced..... yeah, gtfo
 
Top