Discussion - Favourite Comic Book Artist | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Favourite Comic Book Artist

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
We've got a Favourite Manga Artist Thread in the Mangaverse, and a Favourite Artist Thread here. Now here's one for you comic book fans.

We've all got our favourite comic artist, and you can post all of 'em here. ^_^

Mine would be:

Joe Madureira Started working as an intern in Marvel comics at 16 (:O I'm 16! T_T *jealous*) Later started drawing for several issues of Uncanny X Men. <3

His drawing are somewhat manga-ish, which is why I probably took a huge liking to his artwork. He's probably one of the main reasons why I'm a huge fan of Uncanny X Men. His artwork caught my attention to the series, and even if he isn't working on it anymore, I'm still reading. ^^

[Website]

Chris Bachalo First started wth DC comics' 'The Sandman'. I saw his work only recently when he went back to drawing Uncanny X Men from 2005-this year. His artwork (from his earlier works) were somewhat lacking in detail, and simple, which was a cool change. You know, like some of those asian artwork you see, which has few details in background, shadows, etc. I love 'em. XD

The lines seem swift, almost sketch-like. Personally, I'm in love with sketches, which is why I don't like inking, or colouring my work, but anywho. >_>;

Lately though, he's started putting in alot more details in his work, which was cool too.

[Website]

Andy Park <3 My most favourite comic artist up to date. XD I was sad that he only drew for a few issues of Uncanny X Men, and was even mroe dissapointed to see him replaced again by a full time artist a little later 2005. Apparently, he only drew for one story arc. T_T

His art also is similar to Mad!. Somewhat manga-ish (I have become a manga freak :faint). Recently, though, I also found out that he drew the Tomb Raider series, published by Top Cow Productions. (taken from Wikipedia :P). So impressed wa I, that I searched for his website, and was not dissapointed.

Amazing background scenery, and such. I felt like crying with jealousy. XD Anywho.

[Website]

Mark Brooks I remember seeing his name on one X Men cover, and thinking "Damn. Buy it. Now." Yeah. I'm a sucker for artwork, no matter how sucky the storyline is. I don't even remember the writer. I think it was Chris Claremont. I think. o.o His stories are getting confusing, but that's another story. XD

A few months back, I wsa roaming around DA and searching for X Men covers when BEHOLD! Before was a DA of one of Marvel's artists!!! XD He drew the Age of Apocalypse cover which I lvoed alot and I almsot died! XD I could roam around a Marvel artist's gallery! XD (of course, this was before I discovered artists have their own website with overload galleries, but anyway).

DROOL DROOL DROOL

Other mods already say the artwork of the Age of Apocalypse cover. So...

[Website]

If you check his DA (link above), there might be a chance that he has other comic artists as his friends, so check it out! XD

Jim Lee He's Legend. Need I say more? His depictions of the X Men characters are one of the best, and is still well known world-wide. ^_^

[Webisite]

The link above is only of his artwork. XD

erm.

A long back, I was chatting with Ken-chan, and he gave me the link to one of the most wonderful artist I have ever seen in my entire life. XD No...he isn't a comic artist, but I thought I'd post about him here since his artwork is simple amazing to be left out. XD

Problem is, I forgot his name. I forgot his site, and all. So...Ken-chan...who is that guy who did Dungeons and Dragons? I remember he also did artwork for Magic: The Gathering...you gave me the site long back. The one with the cool dragon art! Please gimme the link. *_*

[edit]

Yep. Got his name. XD

Todd Lockwood He ain't no comic artist, but I decided he was just too awesome to be left out. XD He rocks. Check his art out sometime. ^^

[Website]

And yes. Your turn!

Oh, and...as you'll notice, I'm a big fan of most Marvel artist. >_>;; This is due to be never picking up a DC comic ever. So...sorry for not mentioning any great artist from there. I've seen a few covers in the bookstore, and they are awesome. *_*
[br]Posted on: June 03, 2006, 02:53:03 PM_________________________________________________Somehow, looking at their artworks again makes me realize I have a looooong way to go. =_=

Cartoonist, or comic artist?

Dear Lord. I don't know anymore...

OH! And Brooks just released the cover to Uncanny X Men #474!! It's du out in a few weeks! This is why I love this site. XD He practically posts the covers way early, and it killls me like crazy. <333

GAZOINKS! XD Knightcrawler, Bishop, Rachel, Havok and Psylocke! XD

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Joe Mad is my favorite by far. one of the main reasons is because my first comic was one that he drew and my cousin (who attended his high school) showed me other stuff by him, heck he even had a style like his at the time. My bro also goes to his highschool and might even be able to get that internship at marvel so maybe he might be the next joe mad. I sure hope so.
(i see you write in the queen's english. Favourite)

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
>_>;;

XD

The UAE goes by the British laws. ^^

and I'm freaking jealous of your brother. Please tell him to take me with him?

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
well i aint no brit. I speaks american. I was just playin anyway.

If anyone is going with my bro, it is gonna be me. It would be cool, though highly unlikely, if i could meet stan lee, among others including joe mad. He should be hard at work (although with him, who knows what that means) drawing the Ultimates' third arc. I cant fucking wait.

that_person00

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
my fav is Jim Lee damn good artist :tem

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
It would be cool, though highly unlikely, if i could meet stan lee, among others including joe mad.
I think I'll go bite you now. :tem

Anywho, any of you know the name of the artist who does both Magic: The Gathering, and Dungeons and Dragons?

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
My favorite is Jim Lee as well. And reading some of the old X-Men from the 70's, I'm getting to like Marc Silverstri as well. Too bad they both moved on to other things.

EDIT: Although that's just for X-Men Artists, lol.

One of my favorites have always been Rags Morales. He's the one that inspired me to do comics myself. Ah, and Wendy Pini of Elfquest fame also had a big influence on my art too. George Perez was also amazing. Greg Land's artwork is breath-taking, although he needs to work on getting his people to vary more. Mike Deodato, Jr was the best Spidey artist I've seen so far, although the stories sucked. Mark Bagley was also one for the books. There are others, but my brain isn't working right now.

And DZ, it's Todd Lockwood you're thinking of, I think ( www.toddlockwood.com ) ^_^

Fantasy illustrators also had a huge influence on my art too - him, Keith Parkinson, Michael Whelan, and some others...

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
<3333333

Please go check his art out. *_*

venicia777

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
which art are you referring to.

anyways, wouldnt it be great to be in stan lees shoes. Jim Leeis the best.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Jim lee is a beast. I happen to like the artwork of Frank Miller. It just has this gritty dark feel that i like. I didnt particularly like Varley's work on the coloring for DKR but i am assuming that it was just me. I think she also did sin city which was a much better job on her part.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
venicia777 said:
anyways, wouldnt it be great to be in stan lees shoes. Jim Leeis the best.
Not at the moment, no. I'm too young to want to be an elderly guy right now. ^_^ But I'm sure he's having a ball.

As for Frank Miller, I actually liked his early artwork (Daredevil) more than his current artwork (Dark Knight Returns, Sin City). Right now his art is just a little too caricaturist for my tastes.

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Joe Madureira is a fav of mine too. It's actually the reason I bought the battle chasers series. (I have all that are out :p) I even got some other comics he drew covers for, like Fathom and danger girls and what not (never did witch blade though :s :p) anyways I wished he continued working on those things a bit longer than he did :s.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
well, you guys can catch him again whenever his run on the Ultimates Starts (anyone know? i am dying to see how the end of volume 2 plays out)

zombietoaster

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Richard Corben, One of heavymetals most wellknown artist/writers and for a good reason. he among other things made den. one of the comics in heavy metal that was chosen to be animated in the first excellent movie heavymetal.
The only thing i dont like about him is that he often mixes 3d into his backgrounds. that doesnt do much in his newer works. but in his early nineties stuff the 3d looked horrible and completely ruined one of his books.

Robert Crumb, he is not a superhero artist like most mentioned in this thread. but his art has infuenced alot of modern artists and his comics always make me smile :)

Nick Bradshaw. he has a very caricaturish(sp?) style to his drawings wich fits great for his work on the army of darkness comics as bruce campbell who played the main character in the movies has a look that is excelent for caricatures.

Sandford greene, kinda similiar style to Nick bradshaws but abit less cartoony.

And just as dragonzair said, Mark Brooks. check his her (XD //DZ) post for samples.

Im sure ive forgotten afew, ill add those later when i can remember them.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I can go on forever naming great names here.

I just love Jim Lee. That guy can really draw! And I was surprised to know that he went to medical school. No wonder that guy can really draw amazing pose and his anatomy drawing is awesome!
I also love Alex Ross's. First time i saw his work was in Marvels (Marvel Comics) and he just keeps getting better with every work!
The Kubert brothers (Andy and Adam Kubert). The offsprings of comics legend, Joe Kubert. Both have proved themselves over and over as one of today's comics greatest names.
There's also Alex Maleev. His works on Kabuki and Daredevil (v2) is not something i would miss on my shopping list.
Ariel Olivetti is another one in my long list of favourite artist.
The man who made me buy Superman titles. John Byrne.
Greg Horn, Greg Land, Jack Kirby, Will Eisner, Steve Ditko, Ariel Olivetti, Bryan Hitch, Trevor Hairsine, John Cassaday, Dave Gibbons, Tim Sale, Howard Chaykins, Don Lawrence, Travis Charest, Brian Bolland, Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis, Seth Fisher, Bruce Timm.... I can go on and on and on forever!

Major thanks to Dragonzair for making this thread!

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Major thanks to Dragonzair for making this thread!
:D Anything for comic book fans XD

Have you guys seen Jim Lee's new artworks? Still brilliant as always, but great big difference if you haven't seen his recent works in a while. XD He still has that style of drawing hairs, which is my most favourite. :wtf

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Dragonzair said:
:D Anything for comic book fans XD

Have you guys seen Jim Lee's new artworks? Still brilliant as always, but great big difference if you haven't seen his recent works in a while. XD He still has that style of drawing hairs, which is my most favourite. :wtf
Yup. I'm waiting for his WildStorm Universe revamp and enjoying his work in All Star Batman and Robin the Wonder Boy. The story's not that awesome (though written by famous scribe Frank Miller) but the art still takes my breath away.

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Heh. I'm starting to like Marc Silvestri's work alot, now that I'm reading a few of the older issues from a couple years back. Quite brilliant. ^_^

[Website]

Venom65437

So many....

Mark Bagley
John Romita Jr.
Jim Lee
Marc Silvestri
Tom Lyle (on Spidey anyway)
Deadado (sp?)

I have a few more, but I can't remember their names...