Discussion - Favourite Villains Discussion | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Favourite Villains Discussion

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
The purpose of this thread is to discuss/list your favourite villains.

Suggestions for discussion (just suggestions not compulsory :) )
  • who are your favourite villains
  • why were they good at the role of the villain
  • who wasn't a particularly good villain
  • are there any former villains you wish didn't turn to the good side

Friendly reminder...
  • please don't turn this into a pure power level discussion. I understand this will factor into a villains' role and it can of course be talked about, but not to the point where it's feat X vs feat Y, or X >=< Y etc
  • this thread is about the characters, not the arcs.
  • please don't bash characters, healthy criticism is sufficient
  • please be respectful to others opinions in open discussion

Last edited:

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
After OS?:o You don't see that a lot...
I think this is my favorite arc after Tartaros, but I'm waiting for the end of the arc to judge it on its own..
But in terms of favorite villains mine are definitely:
1. The Spriggan 12
2. The Nine Demon Gates
3. F.Rogue and his Seven Dragons
My tier list would be:

1. Bradman (BAMF gets his own tier)

3. OS (2nd place also goes to Bradman)

4. Spriggan 12 (Goddy, August, Wahl and DiMaria make them IMO)

5. 9DG (Silver, Mard and Franmalth were cool)

6. Seven Kin (Was cool to see them trash FT on Tenrou but they were defeated in dubious ways)

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
5. 9DG (Silver, Mard and Franmalth were cool)
Lol I never thought I would see anyone list Franmalth as a favorite haha...nice;)
Personally I put Sayla in Franmalth's place if I was you
6. Seven Kin (Was cool to see them trash FT on Tenrou but they were defeated in dubious ways)
Funny thing, I could never entirely get the Tenrou hype, like personally I love the Seven Kin and all but I think that's one of the most overrated arcs imo, even the Hades fight wasn't as good as people make it seem like (to me anyway), personally I love the way Mard Geer was taken down more (CSK, Sting, Rogue, Natsu and Gray) was better to me than Team Natsu + Laxus (even if LFD was amazing)..
My favorite Seven Kin are Ultear and RustyRose..
1. Bradman (BAMF gets his own tier)
Eileen for me:zomg

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Lol I never thought I would see anyone list Franmalth as a favorite haha...nice;)
Personally I put Sayla in Franmalth's place if I was you

Funny thing, I could never entirely get the Tenrou hype, like personally I love the Seven Kin and all but I think that's one of the most overrated arcs imo, even the Hades fight wasn't as good as people make it seem like (to me anyway), personally I love the way Mard Geer was taken down more (CSK, Sting, Rogue, Natsu and Gray) was better to me than Team Natsu + Laxus (even if LFD was amazing)..
My favorite Seven Kin are Ultear and RustyRose..

Eileen for me:zomg
Ha! Yeah most people don't like Franmalth that much but I like how goofy he is.

Tenrou for me was a good arc but the FT plot armour was intense, some of the weirdest fight results happened (Natsu vs Zancrow...) and over all Acno stole the show.

I don't actually like Irene, she just feels like a generic cocky villain, her magic is cool and I don't mind her design (Mystogan and Bradman are still the kings of design though) but she just reeks of Erza's "can do anything" vibe, though I guess they are related. :P

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Wait, I clearly remember you saying Future Rogue was your baby :3?
Haha yeah he still is lol, my overall ranking for favorite antagonists in the whole series is:
1. Zeref
2. Mard Geer
3. Future Rogue
The Future Rogue and Emperor Spriggan reveals are still my best plot twists in the entire series, like holy fucking shit they still give me chills to date..
My favorite Spriggan 12 members are (not in any particular order):
When this part is animated in the anime personally I hope they give him Gilgamesh's voice from Fate Zero lol..
My new second favorite magic in this arc is 'Historia of Corpses':tem
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I don't actually like Irene, she just feels like a generic cocky villain, her magic is cool and I don't mind her design
Funny enough, I think this is what I feel about August, like he's OP and everything but there's something about him that makes me go 'Eh..'
Then again I don't think I've ever been a fan of the old badass guy in shonen that much lmao, I never liked Yamamoto in Bleach and Hades that much..
I like seeing the youngins going HAM:3c
Lol I wonder what I would have felt about Zeref if he was some bearded old man haah XD

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
When this part is animated in the anime personally I hope they give him Gilgamesh's voice from Fate Zero lol..
When this gets animated my life will be complete, though I'll have to wait a while, I watch the dub. I hope they extend this fight too, that was way too important to get off-paneled. The bit I'm looking forward to being animated the most though is either Jellal changing Hargeon's skyline or Bradman's Seal releases. DiMaria's Chronos will look awesome too.
Funny enough, I think this is what I feel about August, like he's OP and everything but there's something about him that makes me go 'Eh..'
Then again I don't think I've ever been a fan of the old badass guy in shonen that much lmao, I never liked Yamamoto in Bleach and Hades that much..
I like seeing the youngins going HAM:3c
Lol I wonder what I would have felt about Zeref if he was some bearded old man haah XD
I actually love the fact that Zeref is a teenager, when I kept hearing about Zeref I thought he was going to be the cliche old guy but instead that was reserved for Hades (to be fair that fit Hades). As for Irene, I can understand the appeal and I think her witch design is cool, I just wish that she'd be a little less arrogant and that Hiro could stop showing us her legs lol.

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
1). Minerva

She is just the main bitch, no reason to explain.

2). Midnight

He has always been a mystery, which I pretty much like. I like the way how he is loyal to his friends, but evil to his enemies. Plus his design and personality are awesome.

3). Rustyrose

Firstly, I like his character a lot. Secondly, he is just badass because he isn't afraid of fairies like almost every other villian. Not to forget that he is one of the view villians who succeeded in defeating Fairy Tail members.

4). Kyôka

She is just the queen of torturing. How evil can a villian be.

5). Wahl

His craziness is scary which is just awesome.

Special mentions: Dimaria, Neinhart, Irene, Ultear and Seilah.

Last edited:

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
So we're ranking our favourite villians? I join in.

1). Minerva

2). Midnight

3). Rustyrose

4). Kyôka

5). Wahl

Special mentions: Dimaria, Neinhart, Irene, Ultear and Seilah.
Lol its those reasons that I don't like them xD. They're scary :P

Overall my top 5 villain ranking would be-

1) Acnologia - @Emperor Spriggan If I had to write a reason for him, it'd probably be end up in a long a** paragraph and you know it xD
2) Zeref - His character depth :') and one of the most feared antagonists in the entire series
3) Mard Geer - My swag boy
4) Hades - too lazy to type out reason now, will edit later :p
5) Irene Belserion - same as above

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
1). Minerva
My man right here:D
Minerva is honestly my favorite female character outside the guild, like damn I love everything about her..
When Erza vs Kagura vs Minerva was happening I was rooting for her other than Erza ofc...
The first time I saw this panel and didnt see Minerva I was hoping that she and Frosch and Lector had escaped and were planning a counterattack..
The first time I joined this community you had this pic:p
I miss it;(

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
My man right here:D
Minerva is honestly my favorite female character outside the guild, like damn I love everything about her..
When Erza vs Kagura vs Minerva was happening I was rooting for her other than Erza ofc...
The first time I saw this panel and didnt see Minerva I was hoping that she and Frosch and Lector had escaped and were planning a counterattack..
^^^^^^^^^^This.

Tbh, Minerva has been my all-time favourite since when she was introduced. A lot of people hated her during the Grand Magic Games but I just loved her lol.

Her personality, looks, magic and strategies are just awesome. I wanted her to slay both Erza and Kagura. Well, seems PoF Erza was just too much.

I think it's a shame that she didn't get a chance to fight a Spriggan or at least join a Spriggan fight. I just pray we'll see more from her this arc instead of just that one attack she used last time.

The first time I joined this community you had this pic:p
I miss it;(
I deleted it somehow and at some point I couldn't get it back in a good shape.. I had some struggles. Yeah, I miss it too.

Anyway, this profile pic suits my username hehe.

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
1. Brandish.

Okay, I'll be serious (she's no villain).

Acnologia. I've got to admit that I like him a lot more when he barely talks, and just remains a badass. In his scuffle with Irene he went a little crazy (must be all that time holed up in a cave), that was okay, but I didn't love it. But he's the only villain I've feared in the story for a while, and that alone is enough for me to put him at no.1. Especially that Mark Hunt walk off he did against God Serena, that was cool. And he's got an awesome design, both human and dragon.

Mard Geer. Now I don't really like Mard as a character, but he was an effective villain. He was cruel and wicked, and possessed charisma and style. Fighting the CSK and others while holding the book was cool too. Obviously he was taken out by a magic that can expose him, but even so it took a monumental effort to take him out. Post-Tartarus both diminished his rep and enhanced it, imo. All the lies make Mard seem rather silly, but at the same time he lead on a lot of characters into thinking what he was saying was true.

Hades. I like Hades more than Mard, but Mard probably pressed the guild harder than Hades. Hades had a pretty awesome beard, and some of his lines were badass. I still love the fight he had with Makarov, where he pretty much owned him. His weakness was identified but before that he had team Natsu and Laxus pretty much beat. As a character, his post-Tenrou developments can be seen in a positive or negative way depending on how you feel.

4. (no I'm not picking Zero/F.Rogue)
Midnight. I thought he was pretty sinister and epic in the OS arc. He got beaten by Erza's glass eye which was a disatisfying way to go out, but still I thought he was pretty good. Not to mention he had a good design.

Ultear. I like her more post-Tenrou (because I like good guys more), but she was pretty wicked as a villain. Her Machiavellian ways always made me want to hate her a little bit, and that's a good sign as an antagonist. I might be being a little bias here because I'm kind of picking her because I like her overall, which includes her as a Crime Sorciere member (where she isn't a villain; and I didn't do this for Midnight) She is one of the most beautiful characters too, and that helps :)

Last edited:

Linali

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Great thread, Randi! :super Especially for me, because I love villains and antiheroes more than any other characters. Let's start then:

who are your favourite villains/why were they good at the role of the villain
King is only one - both for villains and for... dragons. Acnologia is mysterious, dangerous, unpredictible and sexy as hell. And there is no one in the Fairyverse, who can match up with his power. The more I see him, the more I falling in love with him (probably everyone already noticed ;)). His wish for destruction and destruction only maybe isn't the best villain motive in the world, but paradoxically that make him good villain imho. He doesn't care about anything and anyone and because of that we, readers, are unable to predict his next move, or even where and when he will appear. But it suits him perfectly - who knows when the Apocalypse will come after all? ;) Besides it's already third arc, when he's one of the villains. I can't recall anyone in FT, who would wield the villain title for so long. Even if he didn't appear in this or that arc, we all knew, he is somewhere there in the shadows and waiting for good moment. To attack, to kill, to destroy and no one would be able to stop this walking/flying catastrophy.

who wasn't a particularly good villain
Mard Geer. He was supposed to be cold-blooded mastermind, but for me he was just funny - from his design, through his character and actions, to his end. I couldn't take him seriously even for a moment. Honestly, I can't even say what was wrong with him, I just don't buy this kind of characters. By the end I felt bit sorry for him seeing, what Zeref did with him, but only a bit.
are there any former villains you wish didn't turn to the good side
Yes. Jellal. I mean, I don't care he is good or evil (though he was a cool villain), I just don't like what Mashima did to him. From him being defeated by Natsu (if it was present Natsu I wouldn't care, but then? :notrust), to him becoming a softie. Laxus also changed, but he remained being badass. Jellal should be on the same level, yet I can't help, but see him more as crybaby than badass. But lately he seems to retrieving the "man" status, so I'm optimistic :)

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Will do a list soon
Can already see number one;)
Tbh, Minerva is my all-time favourite since when she was introduced. A lot of people hated her during the Grand Magic Games but I just loved her lol.

Her personality, looks, magic and strategies are just awesome. I wanted her to slay both Erza and Kagura.
Unpopular opinion here, but her redemption was one of the highlights of Tartaros, like damn, she went through all that as a kid, then as an icing on top ~~my boy Rogue~~the Twin Dragons appeared and saved her!

I think it's a shame that she didn't get a chance to fight a Spriggan or at least join a Spriggan fight. I just pray we'll see more from her this arc instead of just that one attack she used last time.
Well technically they fought Eileen, Bradman and Larcade then were destroyed lol
Mira, Minerva, Yukino vs Larcade please!!!
MASHIMA DO IT! XD
Anyway, this profile pic suits my username hehe.
Can't argue with that lol

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
1). Minerva
I like Minerva now, think she's a cuter but with still a bad edge to her. I didn't like her at all in the GMG and wanted her to be beaten, I guess that can be seen as a villain doing her job.

Great thread, Randi! :super Especially for me, because I love villains and antiheroes more than any other characters. Let's start then:
The other guys/gals above my post were discussing it so I guess others might too.

I think villains/antiheroes often provide the most interesting characters (like Ren Kouen).

King is only one - both for villains and for... dragons.
Agreed :)

Mard Geer. He was supposed to be cold-blooded mastermind, but for me he was just funny - from his design, through his character and actions, to his end. I couldn't take him seriously even for a moment. Honestly, I can't even say what was wrong with him, I just don't buy this kind of characters. By the end I felt bit sorry for him seeing, what Zeref did with him, but only a bit.
I agree with this in a way, it's why I didn't really like Mard to begin with. I don't know how to explain it, but trying to be the evil mastermind type can be rocks and diamonds. It's either corny/laughable, or you get something like the Joker from the Dark Knight. Mard wasn't too over the top which sort of saved him for me. It comes down to personal taste as always.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
My best friend usually tells me he thinks Mard Geer is an awesome character, but the hair makes him look like a Drag Queen XD
I always found how he was introduced sitting on the throne to be one of the most badass introduction scenes for any of the villains in the story...

Like,there's no overarching plot twist or anything, just a man with a pony tail seated on a throne of skulls...
Imo, in Tartarus, the villain who was introduced the coolest was Silver, freezing an entire village is nothing short of badass

Devil Slaying Magic, is probably one of the most badass sounding magics in the story.

Linali

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I agree with this in a way, it's why I didn't really like Mard to begin with. I don't know how to explain it, but trying to be the evil mastermind type can be rocks and diamonds. It's either corny/laughable, or you get something like the Joker from the Dark Knight. Mard wasn't too over the top which sort of saved him for me. It comes down to personal taste as always.
I have to reread Tartarus arc, maybe then I'll find the answer, why I can't see him as villain. I know he's powerful, he was fighting with 3 Dragon Salyers and a Devil Slayer, yet it was Zeref, who killed him in the end. Not to say he fought with Celestial King in the past, so he is perfect to be final boss. I just can't convince myself that he's frightening villain. Usually, when I see a villain in FT, I hate him/her or I'm affraid of good characters' future, but when Mard Geer was appearing I was like, "Oh my, why him again? :-_- I definately have to reread this arc, maybe now, when I know the whole story, I will look at him from different perspective.

Totally agreed about Minerva and antiheroes part. Btw, how did you know I like Ren Kouen? :XD

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
been trying to think of my favorite villain(s) but can't really decide.. I guess I'll just rank a few:
  • Oracion Seis
  • Spriggan 12
  • 9DG
  • 7 Kin
and on the side Jellal and Minerva should be thrown in there somewhere cause I like them both as villains and good guys, don't have no qualms over Hiro turning them good, probably why Crime Sorce is my favorite guild not named FT or Saber, seeing Angel, Cobra, Midnight always is good to see. The 12s have/had all the hype and potential in the world but in some cases haven't delivered but when they have no question some of the best moments/scenes in the series to me, guess it comes to who you like and a pick-and-choose type of thing. I liked Silver, Seliah, Mard Geer from 9DG and Ultear, Meredy, Zancrow from the 7 Kin to round it out... Briar and Jerome were cool from Avatar too

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
I wonder if Neinhart will come back? He's a really weird character in that he's introduced as a guy who doesn't attend Zeref's meeting and refuses to cooperate with his teammates but then he ends up saying a few lines and is one-shotted. A shame too, his design was awesome, plus his intro was reminiscent of Mard's.

@Emperor Spriggan I forgot to ask, do you have contact with the person who does the S12 fanfic? If so I have a suggestion for Bradman, have him run a crappy prank channel via Lacrima and change his name to Ethan Bradmanberry, I can picture it so vividly...

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
On a smaller note, who do you guys think think are some of the most underrated villains in the series? I had talked about Hades earlier and how I felt he was overrated along with the whole Tenrou arc, so I'm curious on your opinions on the other side:
Personally, mine is Doriate, other than F.Rogue, this guy honestly does not receive enough love from the fandom...
Other than his badass magic (which is also underrated), the Law of Retrogression, he singlehandedly defeated all of Fairy Tail, and was only defeated by an external factor (Silver's Ice, props to Hiro for making use of Chevkov's Gun in Sun Village a lot), plus he was a good hype tool for Tartaros, seeing as he was a fake Etherious..

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
On a smaller note, who do you guys think think are some of the most underrated villains in the series? I had talked about Hades earlier and how I felt he was overrated along with the whole Tenrou arc, so I'm curious on your opinions on the other side:
Personally, mine is Doriate, other than F.Rogue, this guy honestly does not receive enough love from the fandom...
Other than his badass magic (which is also underrated), the Law of Retrogression, he singlehandedly defeated all of Fairy Tail, and was only defeated by an external factor (Silver's Ice, props to Hiro for making use of Chevkov's Gun in Sun Village a lot), plus he was a good hype tool for Tartaros, seeing as he was a fake Etherious..
Hmmmm Underrated..... Maybe Jose? The reason I feel he's underrated is because he was the first real big bad guy in FT, the dude could summon an army of shades that were whittling the FT guild down, he was willing to destroy Magnolia via Abyss Break just to get Lucy etc. His design also had a certain charm to it, funny but strangely... threatening? I don't know how to put it lol.