1. This web comic needs more readers. So what are you waiting for? Read :D.
  2. The new season of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. Congratulations to goldb for winning the Friends Photography contest!, and as always, well done to the other participants!.

Voting has begun for the Special Halloween Art Contest
    Witch.

Also there is a special announcement regarding the Winter Art Contest, so please Read up!
  4. [​IMG]

Round 2 ends on November 20.
  5. This year's Community Awards have ended. Check out the results HERE!
  6. The very first Magi Awards have begun! Vote your favorite Moments and Characters now!
  7. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Theory Final Tournament Line-up Discussion/Predictions

Discussion in 'New Prince of Tennis' started by Kaoz, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

Global Moderator

Germany
    That is possible, but wouldn't it create a problem in the opposite direction? If we use this line of thinking to always put Camus into S1 for instance, why would Japan not always use Byoudouin in S1? The risk would be about the same for both sides.

2. ChinkyCandie

ChinkyCandie Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Australia
    Well, I'd say Byodoin would be saved for the semis/finals. As the captain of Japan, he'll be playing the decider matches and take Japan to the top of the world.

3. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    I agree that he won't play before the semis, but why does that standard not apply to Camus and Medanore then?

4. ChinkyCandie

Australia
    France and Spain may/can underestimate their opponents and think Camus/Medanore aren't worth using to destroy their opponents.

5. Hardy

Hardy Registered User

Argentina
    Maybe you are allowed to make last minute changes to the line-up? So like, round is 2-2, S1 is about to be played, and Camus just steps in instead of someone from the line-up? Sounds cheap but it's possible.

6. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    I think there's a misunderstanding here. Because if that was the case, it would make even less sense for them to play in a round 2 match as opposed to the semifinals or finals (I think we can agree that it's more likely to underestimate a lower ranked team you face earlier in the tournament).

Doubt it, but for the sake of argument, why would he? If none of his teammates can win that match, France is definitely not going to win the next round against Germany either.

7. Hardy

Hardy Registered User

Argentina
    There's many reasons (and plenty I probably haven't considered).

-Imagine it's Duke and the French hadn't expected him on the line-up. "Only Camus can control his shots" or something like that. In that scenario, it's the ONLY way they can pass. Rather play your cards and perhaps be dead tomorrow instead of giving up today.

-Germany could play an alternative line-up, or the French could try to win it in 3 sets quickly, or France could just be lucky, dk, there are many possibilities that are better than being eliminated.

-Sponsors. The more matches they play, the more visibility French players get. Even if they stop being a top contender and their chances would be lowered, they would like to get as far as possible to not only aim for the title but to build a career for themselves and their teammates.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017, Original Post Date: Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Was also thinkig about it, but as we havent heard of "reserves" in the past, perhaps that spot always goes to team captains or just the strongest player according to the coach (and they can be subbed in and out as they desire, as long as they dont play later?)

8. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    I dunno, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree for now. I could also bring Germany using their 3 pros in the semis (which is probably going to happen) instead and depending on the rules not having any left for the final, it's the same basic issue. Overall I just hope there's going to be a solid reason for the top players making an early appearance and it's not because the plot demands that Japan defeats them on the way to the finals. It worked out fairly well in the group league because of the format, but it's a bit of a different story in an elimination bracket.

I don't know about the reserves idea in that form either, but what if there was just a need for a regular reserve player? That could be plausible to let someone play a match without giving up their turn I guess.

9. Hardy

Hardy Registered User

Argentina
    Yeah meant the reserve player thing in that sense as well. Its a great way to have a stronger player in a less important match.

Have you thought that Germany perhaps "has a lot more strong players!" just to justify Volk playing in semis?

10. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    Honestly, as long as there's a somewhat sensible explanation at all I'll probably be ok with it. A scenario that would bother me is having Volk, Pro B, Pro D, QP and Tezuka all in the semis when they wouldn't be allowed to play in the finals anymore.

Hardy likes this.
  11. ChinkyCandie

Australia
    ^ If that was the lineup for Germany in the semis, how would Japan counter that?
    We all expect Fuji vs Tezuka and Fuji will finally have his first victory against Tezuka; Irie may get his revenge by destroying QP; Volk will lose for the first time since he became pro (hopefully against Oni or Tokugawa). Germany wins doubles but Japan wins singles.

PS: Still want the Amadeus vs Byodoin singles 1 in the finals :P

In regards to Camus, the only players he won't underestimate will be Duke, Byodoin (I think Camus knows about him from two years ago), and maybe even Oni. Medanore needs to get through USA in the QFs.

12. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    For the HSers, I'd expect them to use two to three of [Byoudouin, Tanegashima, Duke, Tokugawa, Oni, Irie] and maybe a throwaway like Ohmagari. Fuji seems pretty set on the MSer side with guys like [Atobe, Yukimura, Shiraishi, Sanada, Kintarou] being other probable candidates. Ryoma won't play before the finals unless players can be re-used. As for specific match-ups, there are quite a few possibilities. I'm not sure about Irie playing QP again, mostly because Konomi doesn't do rematches very often. Of course it could be argued that they didn't really play against each other last time. Tanegashima seems like a potential alternative though.

Volk won't play against anyone except Byoudouin, Tokugawa or Ryoma I think. The other two pros can probably be taken down by most of the HSers and a couple of the MSers I listed above though. Oni vs Pro D for instance.

Well, depends on the match order I guess. I'd expect Germany to win the first two matches and Japan to win the last three.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 14, 2017, Original Post Date: Nov 9, 2017 ---
    @Hardy
    I have some questions about your line-up prediction if you don't mind.

• Why do you have Kaji in such an early round? Keeping in mind that from the mid-level HSers, we had Ochi and Tohno against Greece and Ohmagari against Switzerland - in other words, Japan used the higher ranked one against the stronger opponent - do you think that kind of pattern won't continue in the main tournament or do you think Kaji's level has dropped due to being out of commission for a while?
    • When we talked about potential team captains for the first round, only Kimijima was brought up if memory serves. But how would you feel about Ochi considering he actually was a team captain in school? Do you think that piece of trivia might be foreshadowing?
    • Knowing now that Yanagi doesn't have data on Aramenoma (which I assume you didn't at the time of submitting that line-up), do you still feel he's likely to be chosen for this match?

13. Hardy

Hardy Registered User

Argentina
    Didn't think of any pattern really, I just assumed Kaji would elevate the level of the crappy team I was presenting -even if I think he isn't fully healed- while at the same time I liked the idea of him partnering with Kikumaru and being in the same team as Mouri.

Ochi had a great and decently long match quite recently so I expected him to be skipped this round. Next round will have (probably) Duke (or someone AS strong) as a captain so, in the end, I don't see Ochi getting a captain spot in the tournament.

Yanagi is the pick I'm the least comfortable with and that I'll prolly end up changing, just need to think about it some more.

14. ChinkyCandie

Australia
    ^ Going to have to disagree with you here. Duke isn't captain material, he's a follower. He barely talks and only replies with "indeed". If Ochi plays against France, he's more likely to be team captain than Duke.

15. Hardy

Hardy Registered User

Argentina
    I can agree with that, tried to say something of the like when I said "as strong". I don't see Ochi leading over Duke though, perhaps Kimijima at most. Tane+Duke could be too much of an overkill against France but it's also possible.

16. ChinkyCandie

Australia
    Ochi may not make a good captain but he'd make an interesting one. Ignore his orders, prepare to be mentally assassinated.

17. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    Well, the captain doesn't necessarily have to be the strongest player on the team. Didn't consider Ochi leading against France, but it could work out - if Camus throws some surprise tactics at them, having a captain like Tanegashima, Kimijima or Ochi, who isn't easily fazed by that, wouldn't be a bad move.