1. This web comic needs more readers. So what are you waiting for? Read :D.
  2. The new season of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. Congratulations to goldb for winning the Friends Photography contest!, and as always, well done to the other participants!.

Voting has begun for the Special Halloween Art Contest
    Witch.

Also there is a special announcement regarding the Winter Art Contest, so please Read up!
  4. This year's Community Awards have ended. Check out the results HERE!
  5. The very first Magi Awards have begun! Nominate your favorite Moments and Characters now!
  6. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Mobile General Mobile Phone Thread

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by misterchaos, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Machi-tan

Machi-tan Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

United States
    Hmmmm, I'm almost inclined to call the fact that you can set up the phone like a laptop/pc pointless.. i mean if i'm at home and can link into my monitor... i have my pc anyway.

Granted, it would probably work well if you are at a hotel?.. but you'd need a keyboard and mouse... so i guess if you carried those on you.

2. Sai

Sai THE MH FOODIE

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Tech

Earth Kindom
    It's hardly pointless. If you had a dock set up to hold your monitors and kb and such at home it'd be great. To have a single device powerful enough to act as everything is the dream. As it is right now, I carry a phone, a tablet and a laptop with me. If my phone was powerful enough that I could have it act as all three, that's be amazing.

3. Machi-tan

United States
    That's completely cool and all, but it would only do so much. It can help you do office work yeah. but, if you game, produce, design high ram graphics, render or use specific programs for work/hobbies that don't have an app version... it won't really help.

Not completely decking the fact that it can be useful.

Just running it against your standard Set up, most people have a phone, a tablet and a computer as you pointed out. It can easily replace the tablet, i understand. But to go through the ceremony of hooking it up and unhooking it up as a desktop is something that can be completely avoided in most people's situations by pressing the power button on their pc.

Why fiddle with something that's probably less powerful in the long run anyway? I mean if you intend to play games or produce music or render anything for a 'job' then its pointless.

Secondly, the set up requires an external power source for the monitor... so unless you have a portable monitor i don't see it replacing your laptop for serious on the go work sessions.

And If you're at home, the app set up and limited permissions the phone has makes a vast majority of applications null and void on it. So it'd be better to just use your desktop.

Again, this is just from a very techincal stand point, I work with computer applications and IT at my part time job, and we've seen smaller projects like this. It always feels like a 'cool you can do this if you want to!' and you do it once or twice to feel awesome that you can... but then you realize that in most cases your actual computer is better or faster... and it only serves as a good 'back up' ... hardly ever a main priority.

But that's just my take on it.

4. Knifeshade

Knifeshade MH Senpai

Hong Kong
    That's because you're not the target audience.

This usage pattern is for the folks who check their emails, watch some cat videos on Youtube, talk about said cat videos on their FB, and then search for more cat things on the internet. General computing stuff. Which is enough for a lot of people.

I don't know anybody who has a tower sitting on their desk whose usage are general word processing and web browsing. A cheap laptop can handle that kinda task easily, and in some cases, even a tablet is good enough. You may not know it, but the PC market is declining year after year.

Personally, I dunno where this will all go. Right now, it feels like what Windows RT should've been a long time ago.
    But then we have the ARM/x86 debate all over again.
    But who knows, what if somebody decides to make a phone and throw in one of Intel's SoC in there along with Windows 10 Mobile as the OS.
    We would literally have a PC in the palm of our hands right there (in the most traditional sense).
    I'm staring at you, ASUS. You're practically the only guys who make phones with Intel inside.
    Sure, their SoCs are nothing but Atoms right now, but Core-M is only 4.5W and fanless.
    Who knows what Core-M will become when Intel finally make the transition to 10nm and even 7nm.
    One day, we might just be able to run Crysis on our phones....

And this is why this is so interesting. It makes us think about how we interact with our devices yet again.

5. Machi-tan

United States
    Yeah i can get behind your logic, i was just thinking most people already have a desktop, even if it isn't a tower, and fiddling around with it would be more pain than it's worth.

And i can get behind that train of thought, please don't misunderstand my statement as a 'nah this ain't important' type of thing. I just thought it'd be more of a pointless feature of the phone, not that the fact that a phone at the moment that can accomplish said tasks isn't great.

I'm still waiting on Quantum computing... the ability to process 0-3 as a computer native tongue, instead of 1s and 0s is supposed to exponentially boost how hardware works and performance. Making it actually possible to run Crysis on a small handheld as you pointed out, even with today's tech in mind.

Asus phones are great, I have had nothing but good experiences with them... but that's from my isolated view i suppose, as 1 consumer. Maybe overall stat trends say different but I think they deserve flagship status (Then again, i have bought nothing but AMD graphics cards which people hate because they are 'faulty' and have yet to have one fail on me, so maybe i just have good luck?)

6. M3J

M3J MH Senpai

神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike

Akatsuki
    One thing I've learned is that iPhone7's predecessors do not have superior camera compared to Android. At least, not the front-facing camera.

iPhone 7's camera though, very good. Probably the best.

WithYouInSpirit likes this.
  7. Taorero

Taorero MH Senpai

United States
    From what a co-worker told me the other day what people perceive right now on terms of cameras, is something like:

Iphone 7+ (the regular one has a good enough camera)
    Google Pixel
    Galaxy 7 Series
    Lumia 950

One thing to bear in mind is the fact that the Lumia is more than a year old already, sadly they have been already cut and production is not going to continue.
    With the iPhone the hype was real but the interest has dropped quite a bit in the last two weeks and don't even get me started with the earpods... some say is awesome some say is not worth it

8. M3J

M3J MH Senpai

Akatsuki
    I've seen pictures taken with an iPhone 7 (+?). Amazing. The best.

But all in all, that aside it's not worth upgrading. I'm happy with my 6S and its 3D touch.

9. xi0

xi0 あの術

最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form

Administrator

Pyke
    My Pixel XL should be arriving from back order in the next week or so.

I went to the Verizon store just to look for size references since I wanted it to be similar to what I have now....and I got worked by the sales associate last month. Was a pretty cheap upgrade for me since it only increases my monthly bill by a little bit and people are ranting over that phone. My brother has the regular Pixel and he loves it. I was legitimately considering the larger 128 gb version since it doesn't have expandable memory for a minute like a boob, but I remembered that you get unlimited storage on your Google account so I don't really see the point in getting the larger one.

Taorero and goldb like this.
  10. Taorero

Taorero MH Senpai

United States
    Supposedly the PIXEL has the current "best camera" I've seen both the pixel and the iphone 7+ got to admit that both of them are truly awesome, I haven't seen the pictures in a PC though, to see how good they really are in a big screen.

This might sound a little crazy but I recently got my hand in a Huawei Mate 9 at work, and I got to say the specs of the phone are crazy, slightly above S7 an iP7+ The camera is a no-brainer. SD expandable options are a little more realistic since they recommend 128 not 256. I give Huawei points on honesty for that. Now the big issue is the brand. In the past I had a Huawei Windows Phone and it was very good, some issues with heating but nothing in the Note7 levels. I will wait till I see some customer reviews and give some feedback on it

11. Kiraih

Kiraih Registered User

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner

Finland
    I bought my first iPhone and I've never had more regret on anything than with this. It was expensive and it doesnt work at all in here cold climate where I live. Phone drops dead in couple of minutes when outdoors even if I just leave it to my pocket.. It can be under - 30 celcius here during winter and phone cant handle that. Otherwise it was okayish, but I simply cant find any reason for the highest prices for Apple products. And my friends said I'm gay when I bought it.

Now I changed to Huawei Lite and it is very good and was sooooo cheap. Works fine with cold weather and runs smoothly.

12. Taorero

Taorero MH Senpai

United States
    Now that is interesting did you try replacing the iPhone to test if you had a defective unit?, anybody else in your area has the same issue?
    Well socially speaking everybody has their own preferences, iPhone is widely used by any kind of person. Same thing with Android, I would say is something more in the lines of what the phone does or does not for you.

13. Holt

Holt GodMode

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

Global Moderator

Nigeria
    Is anyone here familiar with Oukitel brand? A friend of mine is looking to get a phone but a cheap one which should still be decent. He mentioned that he heard about oukitel and asked my opinion on it but I don't know about the brand tbh. I did some checking into the model he gave me (oukitel K6000) and it does seem to have a big battery but I'm not sure how the phone ranks in terms of performance (for an average phone). Is it advisable for him to get this based on the specs the phone has?

14. artotaku

artotaku Registered User

Canada
    Anyone get the new iPhone X? Is it worth it?

15. Charlie

Charlie Enlightend Carlito's Katana Mode '+'

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member

Sunspear
    I've seen a few reviews of it and everyone so far says its pretty good.
    I bought the Note 8 for the android though. Some initial X cons (and iirc still an issue) were due to the front camera hump or lump/bump some apps were crashing as it tried to get around it.
    And my personal gripe with these new phones in general is that unless these damn things cook and clean for you they should not cost 1000.00

16. artotaku

artotaku Registered User

Canada
    What I read also was that to replace the screen on the new X they said it was like $300 and to fix the phone its about $800. Crazy!

17. Charlie

Sunspear
    Thats what insurance, is for. :edu

artotaku likes this.
  18. M3J

M3J MH Senpai

Akatsuki
    If Apple's upgrade plan ceases to apply for iPhone 8, I"ma go back to Galaxy or go with Google Pixel. I don't want X and its lack of home button, fuck that.

19. xi0

xi0 あの術

最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form

Administrator

Pyke
    Wait, when did you go Apple? I thought you always shit on them...

20. Charlie

Sunspear
    Hasn't Milap made the switch to iPhone years ago? Could have sowrn he mentioned it here or somewhere.