Shounen Gintama by Sorachi Hideaki

-Hanabi-

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 2, 2009
Messages
181
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm sure that everyone who reads Gintama will scream out for MOAR.
 

kamina

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2009
Messages
61
Reaction score
7
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
^absolutely
I only got into this series recently, but it already is one of my favorite manga now :p So sad that Gintama is so badly underrated...
 

dosukoi7

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
23
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I heard Gintama is ending soon... is that true?
 

nassass

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
108
Reaction score
18
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
3-rd place in TOC, if we don't care about the newcommers!
Of course it won't end soon.

My first post in Gintama topic! :D
 

kamina

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2009
Messages
61
Reaction score
7
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
Those newcomers aren't even ranked in the TOC yet so it's 3rd place whichever way you look at it :p and I don't think it's going to end soon with the way things are now...
There's simply still way to much stuff that isn't explained or concluded yet, so I think those are just baseless rumors right now... :amuse
 
Last edited:

mayoi

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 18, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
The best comedy manga I've read!!!!
 

RAFAT9

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2008
Messages
762
Reaction score
182
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
ch 262 was pretty funny. some good ol' drunkness with the typical Gintama repetition.
but i really hope this is the last part of this arc or i at least wish it would finish soon. it was a little open ended which you dont really find in Gintama during a serious arc.
 

nassass

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
108
Reaction score
18
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
Yoshiwara arc always seems to me like Bleach SS arc.
And now this arc like HM arc.
Hinowa= Rukia Tsukuyo= Orihime. :D
I like bleach, but Sorachi short arcs are have all necessary or more.

And from now on Gintoki has a maso and sado girl. Good love triangle :lol
 

RAFAT9

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2008
Messages
762
Reaction score
182
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
the whole dentist arc is a little boring. i was hoping for something funnier.
 

garaa89

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2007
Messages
144
Reaction score
3
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
does anybody know where to get the chapter missing from onemanga i would really like to catch up to the manga.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Pilot Oneshot
001-068 (069-080)
081 (082-085)
086-103 (104-106)
107 (108-109)
110-119 (120-123)
124-125 (126-146)
147-148 (149-157)
158-164 (165)
166-167 (168-171)
172-182 (183-186)
187-262 (263-265)

Red chapters aren't scanlated yet unless I missed something out recently. You won't find them anywhere. 262 is the chapter of week 22, the one that will be published in the current Jump issue (week 25) is chapter 265.

But jumping over the missing chapters in no problem. The arcs are episodic and according to fans who read it in Japanese, there's nothing critical one would miss out.

You should find all scanlated chapters up till current here:
http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/319

@Bomber D Rufi
Have you read the whole series including the not scanlated chapter? Could you eventually say what the gaps are - (longer) single arcs or several small episodes that were uninteresting to scanlate? There are small and big gaps, makes me wonder why Manga Editors skipped those chapters in particular *scratches head*
 
Last edited:

noonethere

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
711
Reaction score
37
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mauritius
@eni
168, 170 and 171 can be found at mangafox.com unless they got the numbering wrong. Also could you please tell me where you found the pilot oneshot?
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Hm, I can't find ch168-171 and Mangafox is down for me at the moment.

The oneshot is the last story in volume 2 (Kuro Shiro: Black & White) scanlated by Yanime.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The nice thing is that Rumbel Subs has already subbed everything in the anime up to the part where the manga started being done consistantly (187+).

It's also worth noting that a bunch of the missing chapters are translated but were just never scanlated. I think so, anyway... Course most were done by no-name groups, Just some guy who did one chapter and posted it using livejournal attachments, so they're not on MH. You can find them on mangatranders, I think. But really, someone should try to fill in all the gaps. I dunno what Maximum 7's doing with Gintama right now, they haven't said anything except "still working on it" since like a year ago when they finished volume 8.

Only thing is, I really don't think Bomber should be doing this thing with Binktopia being the only one allowed to use his TLs. They're pretty well known for doing a good job, but then being inconsistant. Like how they haven't released anything for Gintama in 3 weeks and all...
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Only thing is, I really don't think Bomber should be doing this thing with Binktopia being the only one allowed to use his TLs. They're pretty well known for doing a good job, but then being inconsistant. Like how they haven't released anything for Gintama in 3 weeks and all...
I know they're inconsistant. >_> This is EXACTLY what I told them when I went ahead and gave them the okay to use my translations. I'm gonna give it a week or two, and if they still haven't said anything I may act on my own behalf then.

@Bomber D Rufi
Have you read the whole series including the not scanlated chapter? Could you eventually say what the gaps are - (longer) single arcs or several small episodes that were uninteresting to scanlate? There are small and big gaps, makes me wonder why Manga Editors skipped those chapters in particular *scratches head*
The answer to this is simple. The long arcs are usually closer to normal Shounen, and therefore get attention quicker than the slice of life type stories. Longer arcs usually get done, while little chapters get skipped. (Oddly in Japan, they don't seem to like the longer arcs, and prefer the short gag stories, but to each his or her own.) I don't blame them (scantlators) though, since Gintama was rumored to have won an unofficial award for being the wordiest Jump manga. Throw in Sorachi's penchant for using pop culture references, and anyone who isn't stupid or crazy (I'm both personally.) Would stay far far away from Gintama translations.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
So, they pretty much skipped on stuff I would like >.>

<--- is no friend of long arcs either.

Hmm, I saw now that Mangafox has ch168-171 but I haven't read a bunch of the chapters in the middle, so I can't confirm whether that's the supposed chapters or whether they're wrong numbered. Anyone?

And yes, Gintama is text heavy but I don't expect anyone to speed-work on the missing chapters or to release super high quality cleans. But I think with a one month focus on this series, a Manga Editor could easily fill some of the short arcs in.Yet the gasps are there since years and sadly a reason for many to not start the series at all. I'm also a little afraid that, looking at the English official release, they'll never closed ._.

Most gaps are 1-4 chapters long, only three are longer:
3x 3 chapter
3x 4 chapter
1x 1, 2, 8, 12 and 20 chapter

If at least the short ones could be closed within this year, that would already be awesome. They're the ones who gives this cruel 'patchwork' impression to potential readers.
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
So, they pretty much skipped on stuff I would like >.>

<--- is no friend of long arcs either.

Hmm, I saw now that Mangafox has ch168-171 but I haven't read a bunch of the chapters in the middle, so I can't confirm whether that's the supposed chapters or whether they're wrong numbered. Anyone?

And yes, Gintama is text heavy but I don't expect anyone to speed-work on the missing chapters or to release super high quality cleans. But I think with a one month focus on this series, a Manga Editor could easily fill some of the short arcs in.Yet the gasps are there since years and sadly a reason for many to not start the series at all. I'm also a little afraid that, looking at the English official release, they'll never closed ._.

Most gaps are 1-4 chapters long, only three are longer:
3x 3 chapter
3x 4 chapter
1x 1, 2, 8, 12 and 20 chapter

If at least the short ones could be closed within this year, that would already be awesome. They're the ones who gives this cruel 'patchwork' impression to potential readers.
Eh I like Gintama as a whole. Whether its the long actiony arcs or the shorter gag ones, I think they work really well in tandem with each other. If Gintama were all gags, it would lose its magic rather quickly. At the same time, if it were all action, it would be no better than Bleach or Naruto. Gintama's an awesome manga because it balances both really well.

I have no interest in filling the gap mainly because I want to support the English version. (So I do buy the Viz tanks, even though I translate the later ones.) Gintama's a series that's well worth buying. (The other reason is that I have no time to go back and do the older lessons...) I wouldn't be against anyone trying to fill the gap, but I won't be the one who translates those. So to anyone attempting to do it, good luck. I agree that this 'incomplete' image of Gintama gives off a bad impression, (Especially since it seems Onemanga which is really popular, won't upload any more Gintama unless it's in order.) So It would be nice for someone to attempt it.....
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ha, yeah right... no one would be so insane to try and translate chapters of Gintama not even Bomber D. Ruffy could do...




It's gonna be me, isn't it........
 

Elyon A. Luna

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
232
Reaction score
13
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Colombia
Ha, yeah right... no one would be so insane to try and translate chapters of Gintama not even Bomber D. Ruffy could do...




It's gonna be me, isn't it........


[eni]This is SPAME² :yelling... but I just can't remove it because it serves an important purpose >.<
kewl0210, we would be so grateful! :wtf [/eni]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Eh I like Gintama as a whole.
Me too. I just said that I'm generally someone who likes shorter arcs. But that really goes for every manga I read :amuse

I have no interest in filling the gap mainly because I want to support the English version. (So I do buy the Viz tanks, even though I translate the later ones.) Gintama's a series that's well worth buying. (The other reason is that I have no time to go back and do the older lessons...)
My general problem is that I prefer buying the Japanese tanks of my favorite manga. But I have to use the Edited Mangas to understand them. Translations alone are confusing to read parallel to the book ^^

But ok, that's certainly what a minority of Edited Manga readers is doing.
 
Top