page 146
第百六十五訓
Diamond-shaped box: Lesson 165
天才とはいつも孤独なものだ
僕には理解者がいない
Flashback!Itou: Geniuses are always lonely
Flashback!Itou: There's no one who would understand me
僕はこんな所でくすぶっている男ではない
誰もそれを理解出来ない 誰も僕の真の価値に気づかない
ならば自らで己が器を天下に示すしかあるまい
Flashback!Itou: I'm not the man to just sit quietly rotting in a place like this
Flashback!Itou: No one can understand it, no one sees my true value
Flashback!Itou: If so, then I'm left with no choice but to show them my greatness myself.
真選組を我ものにする
それを地盤に僕は天下に躍進する
Flashback!Itou: The Shinsengumi will be mine
Flashback!Itou: I will make them my springboard from where I will proceed to the whole country.
この伊東鴨太郎が生きた証を
天下に…
人々の心に刻み込んでみせる
Flashback!Itou: I'll show the proof that I, Itou Kamotarou, exist
Flashback!Itou: to this whole country...
Flashback!Itou: I'll carve it into people's hearts
page 147
悪名でもかまわねーと?
そのためなら恩を受けた近藤を消すこともいとわねーと?
Flashback!Takasugi: And you don't mind tarnishing your good name in process?
Flashback!Takasugi: You're fine with slaughtering Kondou whom you're indebted to for it?
恩?
恩ならば近藤の方にあるはずだ
あのような無能な男の下に僕が仕えてやったのだ
感謝こそされど不満をいわれる覚えはない
Flashback!Itou: Indebted?
Flashback!Itou: If we're talking about debts, then it's Kondou who's indebted to me
Flashback!Itou: for the fact that he was graced with me serving under such an incompetent man as him
Flashback!Itou: Gratitude aside, I don't recall complaining.
*SFX: getting up
クク…
伊東よお前
自分以外の人間は皆バカだと思っているクチだろう
だがそんなバカな連中に理解されぬのを不満に思っている
…
Flashback!Takasugi: Hehe...
Flashback!Takasugi: Itou
Flashback!Takasugi: so you consider everybody except yourself fools
Flashback!Takasugi: and yet you're snuffy because this bunch of fools doesn't understand you
Flashback!Itou: ...
page148
理解されたいと思っている
自分を見てもらいたいと思っている
己が器をしらしめたい?
そんな大層なモンじゃあるまいよ
Flashback!Takasugi: You want them to understand you
Flashback!Takasugi: You want them to notice you
Flashback!Takasugi: You want them to learn your greatness?
Flashback!Takasugi: But you're not that great, you see
お前はただ
一人だっただけだろう
Flashback!Takasugi: You've just
Flashback!Takasugi: been all alone is all
お前が求めているのは自分を認めてくれる理解者なんかじゃねェ
お前が欲しいものは…
Flashback!Takasugi: It's not recognition and understanding that you seek
Flashback!Takasugi: What you want is...
page149
第百六十五訓
策士策に溺れる
Lesson 165
The schemer is caught in his own scheme
*SFX: rocking
*SFX: buzzing, fire roaring
page150
…ここは
Itou: This place is...
*SFX: buzzing, fire roaring
*SFX: creaking, things falling down
…
土方
そうか…
僕は… 勝った…
僕はついに土方に勝っ…
Itou: Hijikata
Itou: Ah, right...
Itou: I've... won...
Itou: I've finally beaten Hijika-...
*SFX: blood dripping
page151
うわァァァァァァァ!!
Itou: Uwaaaaa!
SFX: fire roaring
晋助は伊東を看破していたでござる
自尊心だけ人一倍強い
己の器も知らぬ自己顕示欲の塊
Bansai: Shinsuke easily figured Itou out, you see
Bansai: His self-conceit is the only thing strong about him
Bansai: He's consumed only with craving for recognition not caring for his own greatness
それを刺激し利用するのは容易なことでござる
思惑通り真選組同士争い戦力を削ってくれたわ
てめーら… ハナから真選組潰すつもりで
伊東を利用してたってのか
Bansai: It's easy to encourage him and then use this weakness of his, you see
Bansai: It all went according to our expectations: he dragged Shinsengumi into internal conflict significantly reducing their war potential for us, you see
Gintoki: You're saying... that you bastards used this guy
Gintoki: with intention to crush Shinsengumi from the word-go?!
page152
伊東の反乱を手引きし協力する体を装い
仲間割れで消耗した真選組を壊滅するつもりだったってのか
…あの男らしい死に方でござろう
Gintoki: That you guided Itou's rebellion pretending to cooperate with him, but in reality
Gintoki: with Shinsengumi immersed in their internal conflict you planned to annihilate them completely?!
*SFX: fire roaring
Bansai: ... It may be a very fitting end for this man, you see
裏切り者は裏切りによって消える
Bansai: The traitor is betrayed and killed
*SFX: propeller blades cutting through the air
*SFX: propeller blades cutting through the air
や…
やめてくれ
Itou: St-...
Itou: Stop
page153
*SFX: rapid fire
やめてくれ
僕は
こんな所で死ぬ男じゃない
やめてくれ
僕はもっとできる男なんだ
もっと
もっと
Itou: Stop
Itou: I
Itou: cannot die in a place like this
Itou: Stop
Itou: I still can do more
Itou: More
Itou: More
page154
母上ェェ!!
見てください!!
僕学問所の試験で満点を…
Flashback!Itou-kid: Motheeer!
Flashback!Itou-kid: Please, look at this!
Flashback!Itou-kid: I got perfect score for exam at scho-...
鴨太郎
静かになさい兄上の身体にさわるでしょ
Flashback!Mother: Kamotarou
Flashback!Mother: be quiet, it may harm your brother's health
も… 申し訳ないです
…
もっと
もっと頑張るなければ
もっと頑張れば
きっと僕を見てくれる
Flashback!Itou-kid: I... I am sorry
Flashback!Itou-kid: ...
Flashback!Itou-kid: More
Flashback!Itou-kid: I've got to put more effort
Flashback!Itou-kid: If I put more effort
Flashback!Itou-kid: you will notice me
page155
うむ見事だ鴨太郎!!
まったくたいしたものだな お前は我が学問所始まって以来の神童だ!!
Flashback!Teacher: Trully great, Kamotarou!
Flashback!Teacher: This is really a big deal, you know! You're the first prodigy our school had since its foundation!
みんなも鴨太郎にまけるなよ!!
Flashback!Teacher: Children, don't lose to Kamotarou!
*SFX: beating
調子に乗ってじゃねーぞ
勉強しかできないボンボンがよ!!
もっと
もっと頑張らなければ
もっと頑張れば
きっとみんな認めてくれる
Flashback!Kid: Don't get all cocky!
Flashback!Kid: You're just a rich whimp who can't do anything but study!
Flashback!Itou-kid: More
Flashback!Itou-kid: I've got to put more effort
Flashback!Itou-kid: If I put more effort
Flashback!Itou-kid: everybody will recognize me
page156
一本!!
お見事!!たいしたものだ鴨!!
*SFX: smashing into the wall
Flashback!Teacher: Win with just one blow!
Flashback!Teacher: Splendid! Trully amazing, Kamo!
この齢にしてこの剣筋…… 努力したな
鴨!!江戸へゆけ私が名門北斗一刀流の道場に推挙してやる!!こんな田舎ではお前の才気が潰れてしまう
Flashback!Teacher: To have such sword mastery at this age... you really have been putting a lot of effort into it!
Flashback!Teacher: Kamo! Go to Edo, I'll recommend you to the famous Hakuto Ittou style clan dojo!
Flashback!Teacher: In this countryside your talent will just go to waste
お前ならかの剣豪宮本武蔵を越えるのも不可能ではないぞ!!
…なんで
Flashback!Teacher: It's not impossible for you to surpass even the great swordsman Miyamoto Musashi!
[T/N: Miyamoto Masashi (1584-1645) - famous swordsman, founder Niten-ryū style of swordsmanship (uses two swords instead of one)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi]
*SFX: limping
Flashback!Itou-kid: Why...
page157
まったくよりによって跡取りの鷹久がこれ程病弱では
我が伊東家はどうなるものやら
双子の弟鴨太郎はあんなに元気に育ったというのにな
次男がどれだけの才覚をもっていようと宝のもち腐れ
Flashback!Father: Good grief, for the family hair Takahisa, of all people, to be that sickly
Flashback!Father: What will become of Itou family with him like this...
Flashback!Father: Even though the younger one of the twins Kamotarou grew up so healthy
Flashback!Mother: It's worthless if it's the second son who's so gifted, no matter how much talent he has
鷹久は鴨太郎に全て奪われて生まれてきたのよ
私のおなかの中にいる時に鴨太郎が鷹久の全てを奪っていってしまったに違いないわ
Flashback!Mother: Kamotarou took everything away from Takahisa just by having been born
Flashback!Mother: It's beyond doubt that when they were still in my womb he robbed Takahisa of everything
あんな子
生まれてこなければ良かったのに
これ!鴨太郎に聞かれたらどうするんだ!どうかしてるぞ!
だって…私鷹久が不憫で何も知らず無邪気に飛び回る鴨太郎を見てたら
鷹久の看病で疲れているんだな…もう寝なさい…
Flashback!Mother: I wish
Flashback!Mother: such a child had never been born
Flashback!Father: Stop, now! What if Kamotarou hears you?! What if he somehow learns this?!
Flashback!Mother: But... Every time I see Kamotarou innocently running about I feel so sorry for Takahisa who doesn't know anything
Flashback!Father: You're just tired from taking care of Takahisa... Go sleep
page158
なんで
なんでみんな
僕を見てくれない
Flashback!Itou-kid: Why
*SFX: rubbing
Flashback!Itou-kid: Why no one
Flashback!Itou-kid: notices me
こんなに頑張ってるのに
僕は何も悪くないのに
もっと僕を見てくれ
もっと僕を誉めてくれ
Flashback!Itou-kid: Even though I try my best
Flashback!Itou-kid: Even though I didn't do anything wrong
Flashback!Itou-kid: Look at me more
Flashback!Itou-kid: Praise me more
僕を
一人にしないでくれ
隣にいてくれ
僕の隣で
Itou: Don't leave
Itou: me all alone
Itou: Be by my side
Itou: Stay with me
この手を…
握ってくれ…
Itou: Take...
Itou: my hand...
page159
*SFX: grabbing
*SFX: hanging
*SFX: rustling
page160
こ…
近藤!?
な…何をしている
君は……今…何をしているか…わかっているのか
Itou: Ko-...
Itou: Kondo?!
Itou: Wha-... What are you doing?!
Itou: Do you... even realize what you're doing right now?!
僕は…君を殺そうとした裏切り者…
謀反を起こされるは大将の罪だ
Itou: I'm... the traitor who tried to kill you...
Kondou: A rebellion is always the commander's own fault
無能な大将につけば兵は命を失うこれを斬るは罪じゃねェ…
すまねェ…俺ァアンタの上に立つには足らねェ大将だった
元々ガラじゃねーんだよ大将なんて俺ァ
アンタの方がよっぽど大将に向いてらァ
俺は隊士が死んでいくのを黙ってみてるなんざできねェよ 死兵なんて割り切ることはできねェやっぱり
Kondou: If they follow an incompetent commander, soldiers end up losing their lives. Killing such a commander isn't a crime, really...
Kondou: I'm sorry... I wasn't worthy to be your commander
Kondou: I'm not the type to be a leader to begin with
Kondou: You're much better suited to be in command
Kondou: I can't just quietly watch soldiers die, you know. I can't divide them into those who should die and those who shouldn't, you see
page161
先生俺ァ…
兵隊なんかじゃねェ ただ肩つき合わせて酒をくみかわす友達として
アンタにいてほしかったんだ
Kondou: Sensei, I...
Kondou: I just wanted to hang around and drink sake with you not as a soldier
Kondou: but as a friend
まだまだアンタにたくさん
色んな事教えてほしかったんだ先生…
Kondou: I wanted you to teach me
Kondou: so many different things, sensei...
僕が一人なのは僕のせいじゃない
僕は何も悪くない
無能だから
奴等が無能なだから…
Flashback!Itou-teen: It's not my fault that I'm all alone
Flashback!Itou-teen: I didn't do anything wrong
Flashback!Itou-teen: It's because
Flashback!Itou-teen: because all of them are dull
page162
僕と奴等は住む世界が違う
僕は選ばれた人間なんだ
孤独を受けいれられず
孤独であることを人のせいにした
Flashback!Itou-teen: We live in different worlds, me and them
Flashback!Itou-teen: I'm the chosen one
Flashback!Itou-teen: Not accepting my loneliness
Flashback!Itou-teen: I blamed people around for it
人から拒絶される事を恐れ自分から拒絶した 傷つくのを恐れ孤独が好きな芝居をした
心に壁ができてゆく
Flashback!Itou-teen: Fearing people would reject me I rejected them first. Fearing to get hurt I pretended to like my solitude
Flashback!Itou-teen: I erected walls around my heart
そんくせ宙ぶらりんになった 自己顕示欲だけが日ましに大きくなっていく
他者に認められたい 認められてもまだ満足できない 僕はもっとできる 僕はお前らと違う
思い知らせてやる
僕という存在を
お前が求めているのは自分を認めてくれる理解者なんかじゃねェ
いつの間にか忘れていた、僕が本当にほしかったもの…
Flashback!Itou-teen: It became an unbreakable habit. My self-centered craving for recognition was the only thing that grew day by day
Flashback!Itou-teen: I want others to recognize me. But even if they did I still wasn't satisfied. I can do more. I'm different from you
Flashback!Itou-teen: I'll make you realize
Flashback!Itou-teen: that I exist
Flashback!Takasugi: It's not recognition and understanding that you seek
Flashback!Itou-teen: Along the way I've somehow forgotten what I trully wanted...
page163
*SFX: rapid fire
ぬおおおお!!
Kondou: Nuoooo!
地位や名誉
武功でも才能でも
自分を認めてくれる理解者でもない
Itou: It was not a position or fame
Itou: not millitary exploits or talent
Itou: not even someone to recognize and understand me
おいぃぃアレ!!
見ろォ!!
SomeGuy: Hey, there!
SomeGuy: Look there!
page164
何してやがる!!
Hijikata: What the heck are you doing?!
さっさと逃げやがれェェェ!!
Hijikata: Don't stand around, get outta here, NOW!
*SFX: blow
僕の欲しかったものは
もう
とっくの昔にそこにあった
Itou: What I wanted
Itou: I already
Itou: had right here all along