Shounen Gintama by Sorachi Hideaki

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Well having an arc center on a character helps a lot. It was obvious but we have a demonstration here
 

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
207th episode of Gintama was awesome. Starting with 3D TV and ending with rice cooking and roll-call scene.
 

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Basically I agree with what Gintoki said here:

I've seen first episode of Sket Dance and it was so boring I've had to watch it in parts. I couldn't do it at one go but I wanted to see at least one episode hoping sth interesting would happen. It was even more boring than Gintama's first episode (after first 4 episodes of Gintama I was considering dropping it but fortunately I've prevailed and after seeing episode 8 I've become a fan).

For a series without much action, where the worst thing that can happen is being painted red dialogues should be witty or funny and characters interesting. Unfortunately Sket Dance disappoints on every step / on all accounts. Gintama from the start had funny dialogues and characters were rather interesting, here we have a guy talking via a laptop (talk about idiotic way to make him recognisable), a girl with a stick (another idiotic theme) and another guy with goggles that he puts on in a times of crisis... It's too stupid for my taste (which might sound funny since Gintama is even more stupid but the difference is I see the author laughing at himself and playing with convention, it is a complete parody with lots of trolling of everything and everyone). Maybe I'm too old or the humour is too refined for my taste but that's what I think. And I have to agree that it's a rip-off of Gintama. Parallels are too obvious and I would compare it to Ninku and Naruto where Kishimoto ripped off so many things that I can't believe he wasn't sued.

When you compare both crossovers you will clearly see that the one written by Sorachi had more funny dialogues and overall was better. Some examples:
Kagura: "For a person with a hockey stick as a weapon, if you have a hammer down there, isn't it easier to club your enemies to death?"
and shortly after: "Don't worry, Bossun will still take you even if you grow a hammer".

Gintoki: "Oi, bitches, cut it out. Don't think you can come and go as you please in this world. This aint's school anymore. This is a world where a drill can come flying outta nowhere and destroy your balls. We call that Friday."

And before you criticize me for criticizing let me remind you that it's a Gintama thread so favouring Gintama over anything here is to be expected. I'm not going to Sket Dance thread to start flame wars.


On a different note, on AN appeared an article about Gintama's lack of success in USA.
 
Last edited:

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I was thinking like you when I read the cross over. The similarity between the 2 mangas were to obvious. But I gave Sket Dance a bit more chance than 1 chapter (which everyone agree to say it is one of the worst) and I must say I liked it. Contrary to what you says, the author don't take himself seriously at all. He's constantly breaking the 4th wall and some of the secondary characters are really good. It shares a lot of thing with Gintama but you don't feel like reading twice the same thing.
If Gintama cannot be surpassed in term of craziness, I think the serious chapters and the general plotline of Sket Dance are a bit better.
 

Azhi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
That article^^... wish I didn't read it and the comments, as an extremely biased gintama fan I just cannot agree xD

I liked how in the Sket Dance crossover they even mentioned the 'gintama in school setting' thing... I really liked the SD crossover actually, they made the yorozuya really cool there. SD is really enjoyable by itself if you forgot about the Gintama similarities, the influence is always there though. (This is starting to remind me of OP and FT.)

Can't wait for the painted version of g.e.m. series Katsura. *drools* Is there a picture of volume 40 out yet? I really like how the recent covers have been group ones.
 

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
@k-dom
Well, I was bored by Gintama for 4 episodes but never as bad as with Sket Dance. It just didn't hook me enough from the get go but it wasn't sth I had to watch in parts either (as it was with SD). In other words it was an average anime which I could watch if I had nothing better to do. But after seeing 5th episode I started to like it (it was the one with Gin and others delivering a bomb to an embassy, the scene when they found out what was in the package was hilarious), mainly thanks to introduction of Katsura (my favourite character I like him even more than I like Gin). And after seeing 8th episode I became a fan. There was the most hilarious fight and one of the most hilarious scenes I've ever seen in any anime/manga. And from then it got even better. The most important thing however was that characters were really great. All of them. They were perfectly designed and I liked them from the start. In SD I was annoyed by them from the start.

In short, even after seeing one episode only I can tell that Sket Dance is not anime/manga for me even though it's similar to Gintama. But the differences between them make a huge difference. I'm glad that author of SD has managed to achieve such success and that he has fans but IMO his inferiority to Sorachi is obvious.

Sket Dance vs. Gintama "clip" (for lack of a better word).
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
The biggest difference between sket dance and gintama and also what makes gintama better IMO is as Goral said the cast.

Gintama's cast is the best cast I have ever seen. They are all likeable characters and very different one from the others. And as a whole they blend together very well.
 

kusanagi_k

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
55
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
err.. personally, i really don't compare- just enjoy both of them individually, on their own merits.
Both are jaw-achingly funny in their own rights, tho of course 1 has to be senpai, the other kouhai.

No preview for e209!!! I predict something AWESOME next week for SURE!!!!!!!
; )))



--SMS/Text from Kagura & Switch (*´ω`;*) www
 

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
No preview for e209!!! I predict something AWESOME next week for SURE!!!!!!!
; )))
I'm guessing it's going to be the arc shown in the ending. Hopefully it will be as least as good as in the manga, in which case it would make it the most epic arc ever.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Yeah the kabuki arc was really great. I'm really looking forward to see it animated.
 

kusanagi_k

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
55
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Ok, this might be a rubbish post, but...
According to En.Wiki, (いつまでもあると思うな以下) is the next ep title. (sorry im just soo curious about it...)
I dunno where they got that info from- next ep info is not yet on TvTokyo site as far as i can see.

Any kind soul care to do a quick translation?

Well, using my very limited japanese:
いつまでも should be like, "eternally, no matter till when"
ある usually is "to be", right? Or Kagura's speech habit, lol
と思うな should be like, "don't think that" (eg, ~you can get away with that)
以下 seems to be, "below; under; the following"

..Very very unsure how those fit together, but very vaguely it's =
{Don't Think That ~~~ Forever} (??)

That doesn't sound like any of the manga chapters, as far as i can see..


Hope you guys doing good on this Friday ;>
 
Last edited:

Azhi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
Maybe it's something like -have less thoughts that it will be there forever- or something..? Dx Anyway one more day and then we'll know xD

Chap 353 is Katsura and Elizabeth centered yay :D He looks really pretty reaching out to Elly in the picture/title page thing, he looks like he's wearing a fabulous wig lol (what are those pages called that don't relate to story but just have a detailed drawing with the title/author's name?)

And the gem zura figure finally got coloured but they changed and kind of butchered his bangs/chin Dx Hope they change it again.. and they still don't mention the designer, I bet it's a new person.
 

kusanagi_k

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
55
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Well, e209 is out. And I just have one thing to say:
Don't Bother Watching It. Srsly. Watch yesterday's Toriko or something instead.

It's just filler(if there is such a thing in Gintama) /recap /reuse old footage /whatever.

As to the title, I think my translation wasn't too far off hehe :DD The 以下 simply meant there was more to the title, but it got cut off cuz too long(as usual in Gintama). And I get the “itsumademoaru” now.
><
I knew it!! Unfamiliar title = Not manga/canon material


but..
NEXT WEEK *CHINPIRA KO* COMES!!!!!!!

PS: Can I ask u guys how many episodes you think this Arc will be???
 

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
@kusanagi_k
I disagree. This episode was quite good. Made me laugh a couple of times. That's just another example of creators laughing at themselves and everyone and trolling us. I love it. The same thing happened in Level E which IMO was the best anime of the last season.
 

Azhi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
I love gintama recaps too, they're always just so hilarious (remember bakaouji!takasugi? xD And a whole bunch of other trolls?) Although some of the serious no-troll filler ones are not as good.. (like episode 1,2, and some other ones I can't seem to remember. The one where otsu composes a song?.) It just doesn't seem up to par. Always love random crazy recaps and fake trailers and everything else though :) Although I think the shinsengumi aren't entirely off in their reasoning of what they think the next movie will contain...

Most of the footage reused this time was from shiroyasha koutan / jump festa 08... (i think?) so some people who have only watched the tv episodes may not have seen it (unless they've watched the 'best gintama lines' filler episode) xD

Looks like next week is definitely the four heavenly kings arc though. Can't wait for the epic that will come >=D

edit..
just found ch354 and
SAKAMOTOOO. I was hoping for his appearance since the arc is elly centered xD and now my image of zura got butchered a little.. was he that peverted before? hmm :D
 
Last edited:

kusanagi_k

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
55
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Apologies for my rather-judgemental comments on last week's episode.
Yea the Prince Baka dubbing thing and some others were good. Though nothing beats the "Final episode Takasugi vs Gintoki filler", imho.


Here's my report on the latest episode:

it was awesome, as expected. Won't say too much cos the subbed will come out in a while anyway. But instead i ll talk about some of the commercials, since those might not be shown on Crunchyroll/Horrible or whatever-

*{Tougenkyou Alien} & {Samurai Heart} Singles and PVs will be out in June

*I think i commented on this before, but new OST {Gintama Best} will be in June

*And unless i was mistaken, the 1st DVD for this new season's episodes (Gintama') will be out in July. Hmm..


PS @Azhi: yea good to see Mutsu back:) Which Edited Manga group/website are you following for the manga? Or are you reading raws?
Sigh.. these days I'm so lazy i just make do with Chinese scans/raws T_T but having English scans again would be nice...
U could PM me or something, if we're not allowed to share that kinda thing here? If u don't mind :) Thanks!!
 

Azhi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
Finally properly watched 310 xD I'm think i'm in love with chin pirakoooooo. I didn't imagine her voice to sound like that at first though, but after a while it seems to suit her. In the manga I didn't really think that much of her, but for some reason animated she is amazing. Maybe it's her eyeballs.

The new album is gintama best 2 and will be another op/ed compilation *w* The first one sold really well xD Although I don't think i'll be buying it... I do love kaatoniago and sakurane (p-piko!!!) though xD

@kusanagi~ lol I can't find any up to date english Edited Manga group either. And I am always desperate for new chapters.. ;_; I find the chinese scans and raws as well. Chinese scans are.. so fast (now if only the eng fandom was this dedicated xD) but I don't really know chinese besides the meanings of some characters (can you read chinese? jap? *w*) When I can find raw links I use extremely fail jap knowledge + dictionary (thank god for furigana) + typing in a translator to confirm + wasting 4532hrs of my time etc. etc. and I still don't understand some lines. B-but gintama is worth it right? A-and i'm learning some new vocab? pfff OTL''
...don't you wish the english-speaking gintama fandom was bigger... ;_; even this thread is really quiet...

Anyway~ I didn't realise until recently but Mutsu is quite short, like 3cm taller than Kagura xD Kind of cute... I'm addicted to checking the heights and weights of the characters... (Katsura's weight is... worrisome lol. Gintoki: 177cm 65kg. Dzura: 175cm 56kg <-- what!? xP) Um.. y-yea.
 

tonyyao82

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
279
Reaction score
90
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hahaha, is the gorilla trying to be a pretty boy gorilla? Oh, Kondo~
 
Top