Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Bleach 241) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Bleach 241)

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Time to kick some Hollow butt!

Once again, another great Bleach chapter, and lots to talk about! First I'd like to thank Binktopia for doing such a good job on their Edited Manga this past week. If not for their somewhat 'thin font' typesetting, I would have used more of their work for my images. I'd definitely recommend that they use the more more classic font that M7 uses.

Speaking of which, M7 is still a solid group, too, and I used more of their Edited Manga here, but I'm definitely hoping to see a little more improvement in future releases. The lineart isn't that strongly re-drawn in their work at the moment.

It's also somewhat uncomfortable for me to review a Bleach chapter without a Djudge translation at hand. No offense to Pocketmofo and the others meant. It's mostly because in all the Edited Mangas we've seen so far, the dialogue were definitely different, and I'm just most used to seeing Djudge's interpretations and I sorely missed it last week. That being said, I do prefer M7's translation this time around the most. All right, here goes the review.

Feel free to comment as always!

* * * Gold Knight's Ten Comments on Bleach Chapter 240: Silverflame * * *​

Stressed about his friends again? Yup... typical.

1. Ichigo's a Worry-wart. Looks like Chad's newly-improved "Right Arm of the Giant" still didn't quite convince Ichigo that he was capable of keeping up. Here, we see Ichigo is still clearly concerned about his friend. Well, I suppose when one's friend is threatened with a potential drop in an unfathomably deep abyss, you can't really blame him...

Somewhat ironic, though, that Ichigo used to have so much more confidence in Chad when they were rescuing Rukia in the Soul Society. Although Chad was indeed defeated and nearly killed by one of the Captains (Shunsui), Ichigo still refused to believe that he had lost. Perhaps that's why Ichigo had eventually lost his trust in Chad's ability, after learning later on that his friend had been so solidly beaten. Again, I'm really hoping that in this arc, Chad will redeem himself. This time his opponents probably wouldn't be so merciful, either.

It's a testament to Chad's courage, though, that he didn't just turn back after having so much trouble just getting to Hueco Mundo on that crumbling path. That would have been a doozy of a fall.

Speaking of the 'tunnel' to Hueco Mundo, the backgrounds we saw in this chapter really gave me a 'Final Fantasy' feel - you know, whenever a battle with the final boss was imminent, there would always be some sort of otherworldly dimension that your party would have to traverse first? Considering that Aizen was close at hand, I can't help but feel that Tite Kubo was trying to capture the same 'classic video game' themes for the upcoming confrontation!

Eat your heart out, Silver Surfer.

2. ...And Ishida's a Show-off. Yup, same old Ishida, as Chad would later observe. Always so confident in himself to the point where he'd annoy the beejesus out of Ichigo!

I was somewhat confused when I read about the 'Hirenkyaku' at first, because it had been so long since we last saw Ishida in action. Then I finally remembered his battle with Mayuri, and that he had used the technique to move at a speed comparable to the Shinigami's more well-known 'shunpo,' or Flash Steps.

Still, Ichigo and Chad were also required to collect the energy inside the 'Garganta' to make a path for themselves - isn't it the same thing? Well, I suppose Urahara must be using his Hirenkyaku to accomplish the same purpose, only also being able to make his footing more secure and move even faster. Nice.

Urahara's been leaking a little information, eh.

3. Found Out... While I'm glad that Chad questioned exactly why Ishida had decided to tag along, despite his pact with his father, just to get it out of the way here - I WAS somewhat surprised that Urahara had been so revealing.

I suppose he must have felt that Chad needed to know about the possibility of Ishida leaving the group at some point, that is, if the Soul Society ever happened to change their minds about taking a more active hand.

Somewhat funny that Ishida hadn't even recognized the whole grueling trial of trying to get his Quincy powers back as a sort of training exercise as well. He's probably gotten even stronger as a result of that nightmare, too. Can't wait to see his bow...!

Don't mind me, I'm just an alley cat...

4. Unexpected Visitor. Ishida certainly looked like he had just gone through sheer hell in that chamber with his father. Guess being pushed to his physical and mental limits and then being shot in the chest will do that! And the battle had gone on for quite a while as well - he didn't seem to stop for a single day since when they first started the night of Grimmjaw's first attack on Karakura Town. Ishida had better not only had his powers restored, but learned a few new tricks, too...!

I liked how Urahara entered - he probably used Benihime to cut through the wall (I think) then seemed to put it away before he entered. Cutting a hole through the wall seemed like a pretty appropriate entry for him, considering he always seems to appear when least unexpected and through the most unusual means. (Anybody remember his flying carpet? Heh.)

Be on the lookout for wisps of smoke, Urahara...!

Even though Urahara put Benihime away, he seemed still on guard and commented how lucky he was that Ishida's father, Ryūken, wasn't around to see him. Ryūken must have been a formidable enemy of the Shinigami - well, either an enemy, or just a particularly feared man. Considering that Urahara was the man who taught Ichigo how to best apply Zangetsu early on, and a former respected Captain of the Goten 13, Ryūken must be something else to make him so nervous. Or maybe Urahara just didn't want to deal with Ryūken's abrasive personality?

I also happened to enjoy the 'chapter title' panel where Ryūken was blowing a wisp of smoke. Although I don't know what the title, 'Silverflame,' seems to mean, I wonder if it has something to do with him.

Or at least Ichigo thought he was...

5. Loopholes are Fun. I think Ishida gave Urahara a little bit of a scare there when he said initially that he was going to go alone, before he figured out that he COULD accompany Ichigo. Urahara must really be worried about Ichigo at this point, otherwise he wouldn't have risked a meeting with Ryūken just to recruit Ishida in the rescue operation. Hmm.

Anyway, nice that Ishida managed to figure out a way where he could accompany Ichigo to Hueco Mundo without breaking his promise to his father. At least, until Ichigo ever becomes a full-time Shinigami (and that probably won't happen until at least the end of the series), Ishida will be able to assist him on any missions as long as it's not appointed by the Soul Society. Although I wonder if Ishida and his father won't decide to work with the Shinigami at some point. One thing's for sure though - Mayuri will have to be dead or banned from the Soul Society before that ever happens. (I'm shocked that he's still a Captain...)

Some things never change, does it?

I also found Chad's observation about Ishida being the same as ever pretty accurate. Especially after seeing Ichigo and Ishida exchange their usual bickering comments. It's somewhat refreshing that after all this time of thinking that these two guys would have to stop working together, and they end up teaming up once again and acting like nothing has even changed. There's a definite charm to this team of three guys, and it feels more like old times, just like when they all first entered the Soul Society together, determined and bound to run over everybody that happened to get in their way. The only thing missing is Ishida's bashful and clumsy demenaor around Orihime right now - hopefully that'll change before long.

Look who's here!

6. Honey, I'm Home. So we have Isshin, Ichigo's father, entering the chamber and meeting Ryūken. Once again, Kurosaki is dressed in his Shinigami attire, walking around like it's no big surprise. He seems like the type who would enjoy flaunting his powers a little bit. Must've been a little bit of a show-off when he was at the Soul Society.

Well, I suppose it's a good time as any to comment on what I think of Isshin being a former Shinigami. When we all found out several volumes ago, I was very pleased (and surprised). Ichigo HAD to have gotten his tremendous spiritual power from somewhere. His father being a former Captain or Vice-Captain - I tend to think it's the latter, because most Vice-Captains usually have armbands designating their divisons - it'd make sense. (Even though Isshin said he was Captain-class, he might still possibly have been Urahara's old VC - after all, Ikkaku was Captain-class, too, yet he's still third in command of the 11th Divison.)

The only mystery now is exactly why Isshin left the Soul Society. Oh, and what about the return of his powers? Ryūken seemed pretty surprised about that.

Here's my theory about that. Urahara has already said it had been 20 long years that Isshin was trapped in a human body. I wonder if Isshin had volunteered to be Urahara's first guinea pig as far as testing the undetectable 'gigai' that was created in order to host the Hougyoku. Maybe mostly because Isshin had fallen in love with Masaki, Ichigo's mother, and had decided that he would like to live on Earth with her, as a normal human being. (Would be a typical reason for Isshin.) However, possibly because Isshin had lost his spiritual powers too quickly as an unexpected side-effect - before Urahara could put the Hougykou within him - it didn't work. So Urahara had to rework the gigai body and then had to choose Rukia as his next candidate.

That would seem to explain why Urahara was a bit worried that Isshin would blame him for the "decrease of his spiritual power" a while ago. But now, why did Isshin regain his powers? Maybe the spiritual power was "born" again in his human body, albeit after a lengthy time?

The truth can be cruel.

Isshin and Ryūken appaerntly seem to have the same relationship and familiarity with each other that Ishida and Ichigo do now. Like father, like son, I guess! One thing's for sure, though: Isshin isn't just acting when he makes all these goofy remarks.

There was some thought that he was just acting to be silly so that his family would never suspect that he was in actuality a powerful Death God in human form. Should've known it wasn't just an act! Isshin had no reason to pretend in front of Ryūken, except perhaps to annoy him. Somewhat comforting though. I liked Isshin's personality as a kind of comedy relief, and would have hated to see it go.

Looks like Ishida better not screw up again.

7. Life or Death... Something tells me, judging by Ryūken's words here regarding the restoration of Ishida's Quincy powers, that Ishida had better not remove his sanrei gloves again. I don't think it would result in just the loss of his powers the next time, but also his life as well.

Hmm. Although Ryūken could mean that if Ishida chose to use his powers in order to help the Shinigami, Ryūken might kill his own son. Somehow, I can't see him doing that, though. To go to all the trouble of helping Ishida get his powers back, it's almost more out of love than anything else. I wouldn't blame Ishida for being pretty confused at the moment. Here was a man who he despised so much, somebody who he believed cared more about business and money than he did using his Quincy abilities to help the world, yet he came to help him when there was no one else.

Even if honesty kills him...?

8. Fathers and Sons. Hmm. When I initially read the chapter, I was disgusted that Ryūken would compare the relationships he and Isshin had with their sons. Unlike Ryūken, Isshin at least had always been with his son, and been there to offer advice, to watch him grow, and BE a father. Yeah, Isshin's a little goofy, and maybe not the best parent ever, but he was still there for Ichigo. Ryūken on the other hand almost completely ignored Ishida, or at least it seemed. Ishida had to rely on his grandfather's support and teachings more.

Still, I suppose it didn't mean Ryūken didn't love Ishida any less, especially now that he HAS taken an active part in his son's life to an extent. He was probably just too busy to be there for him. Reminds me of a line from the "24" television series, "Being a son, or daughter... or a parent... none of it's easy."

That's one bummed looking girl.

9. Biding Her Time... We got a brief look at Orihime in her "cell" at Las Noches. All the fans who predicted that Orihime had been feeling terrible over healing Grimmjow's arm because it caused the death of somebody else - well, they were right. She knew that the more she healed the Hollows, the more deaths she would probably - even indirectly - cause. Ouch.

I wonder what exactly kind of hold Aizen and the Arrancar have on her. It just seems almost too convenient. Ulquiorra did threaten the deaths of Ichigo and the rest of Orihime's friends, but I'd be surprised if that was all it had been. Orihime went TOO willingly. She seems to be concerned about buying Ichigo and the Soul Society some time to prepare for the war, but didn't she expect that they would be abandoning their training to come after her? Something's fishy about all this.

What the hell do they eat here?

10. Guardian from Hell. Uh-oh, what's THIS Hollow all about? Looks freaky. Must be one of these over-grown Arrancar like the Grand Fisher. Wouldn't be surprised, though, if it turned out to be rather amicable next chapter, because a spooky appearance like that almost always leads to a rather unexpected first impression.

RATING: 4 out of 5 stars.

Predictions: We'll find out what the Hollow's all about. Also, we've yet to see what Urahara has in plan. Not that I know if he'll reveal his cards next chapter, it might be a while.

Credits: Thanks to Binktopia and M7's Edited Mangas, both of which I used for this review. Also Pocketmofo's translation as a first and entertaining read.

Hope you enjoyed, and looking forward to seeing what you think!

Sit down and tell Daddy what you think! XD

kiddo7

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Please register to see the content of this post.

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

kiddo7

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Binky

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Scotland

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi