Seinen - Golden Kamuy | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Golden Kamuy

Author: Satoru Noda
Genre: Historical, Action, Adventure
Serialized in: Young Jump

Synopsis

In Hokkaido, the far northern lands of Japan, Sugimoto survived the Russo-Japanese war of the Meiji era. Nicknamed "Invincible Sugimoto" during the war, he now seeks the riches promised by the gold rush in hopes of saving the widowed wife of his now deceased comrade from the war. During his hunt of gold, he finds hints of a hidden stash of gold by corrupt criminals. Partnering with an Ainu girl that saves his life from the harsh climates of the north, they venture into a survival adventure to race against the criminals that seek the hidden stash.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Started this yesterday after some recommendations and caught up. The main characters are interesting and it's very informative, with solid action and an interesting plot. I find the art a bit simple at times but overall it's a great manga.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Chapter 24 is out.

Sugimoto is a veteran soldier and yet he was afraid by a deer, Asirpa shows that she is the most mature of the duo again.

Retar's probably safe now that they are all together.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Retar had a mate, I was expecting this since the beginning, didn't expect even Asirpa to be unaware of this though. Tetsuzou got the death he wanted. Like this they have two corpses.
75 tons of gold... I wonder what will Sugimoto do now, with more investigations it's possible to find gold without hunting the prisoners, but Noppera-bou must have taken even more precautions to hide this.

Asirpa trying to tease Sugimoto to get some miso was the best part of this chapter :XD .
I caught up! With all these short arcs, while I was reading I thought they would have found more tattoos than this. Of all things I was not expecting a Tsukishima chapter, with he and Ogata that makes two members of the 7th Division who killed their fathers.

I hope the anime will make the series more popular here. It's an excellent manga.
Tsurumi the master manipulator... I like these war flashbacks where we see Sugimoto along with the others. I hope it doesn't mean that Tsukishima will die soon.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I caught up with the latest chapter few days back and it's a great ride.

Eager to see how Sugimoto will meet Asirpa again.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Tanigaki making the dancers proud :D.

Sugimoto dying because of Koito's pettiness would make him more famous I guess :lmao. Koito must have really been greatly influenced by his idol to act like that.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Koito and Tanigaki are the real MVP :XD

Tanigaki making the dancers proud :D.

Sugimoto dying because of Koito's pettiness would make him more famous I guess :lmao. Koito must have really been greatly influenced by his idol to act like that.
At first i thought this is a monthly manga.Lel kek.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
So the leader of the circus was also a spy.

Another prison as goal... Hijikata's group is probably headed there as well.
Very entertaining sniper battle! And Kiroranke can shine with his sapper skills. I am loving that focus on him, he is really showing that he was a member of the Seventh in this arc.

Lomahongva

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
After all those "brotherly" memories... a new chapter's out!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/412416/1
When it comes to Shiraishii, Sugimoto's the best motivational resource XD

I have already read about Chinese "oracle bones" and it was nice to see that Karafuto Ainu also used a similar method.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Yeah, Shiraishi wasn't going to abandon Asirpa after his promise with Sugimoto. That death flag though... I doubt he'll die, but still. Ogata will probably do something.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently started reading this series; caught up the day before. Really been an enjoyable read.

One of the things I liked whilst reading is that the covers and many scenes are parodies from other media; most notably for me is the prison escape scene panel with Shiraishi, which is straight from Shawshank Redemption:

There are more HERE. Do you guys know of any others?

Lomahongva

Reaction score
Country
Spain
New chapter.

That cliffhanger! What a way Of ending this chapter!
Noda explains the Karafuto aynu punishment custom and then, he show us Hijitaka buried alive.
How did they manage to capture him? Where's Ushiyama?
And, since Asirpa didn't learn to write and read, there'd be something tricky in the tattoos.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
That Ainu punishment is worse than death :o. It looks like Sugimoto is starting to lose patience. When he will meet Ogata things will get ugly.

What's with that cliffhanger? The criminal they got is supposed to have killed Hijikata? :hmm

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That Ainu punishment is worse than death :o. It looks like Sugimoto is starting to lose patience. When he will meet Ogata things will get ugly.

What's with that cliffhanger? The criminal they got is supposed to have killed Hijikata? :hmm
Yeah that punishment is tough, lol.

It looks like it yeah;I wonder what went that down. If that's the case then depending on when that gets resolved, Sugimoto's group would end up sandwiched between Hijikata and Ogota's group.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
A poisoner who likes to test people's luck and almost killed Ushiyama and Hijikata. That is an impressive feat. It is hard to take him too seriously though with Ushiyama behaving like that.
Hijikata is back! :zomg

Bad luck + bad luck= Good luck :D.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
To think Hasegawa was a spy... This arc is very interesting. I hope it won't just end here.
Chapter 179 is out!

What a chapter! That reveal at the end! I wonder what were his thought when he was carrying the baby of Sakamoto and O-gin.
An encounter with a tiger! Sofia is pretty strong. Sugimoto and co are close. Soon enough they'll find Asirpa and the others.

Lomahongva

Reaction score
Country
Spain
An encounter with a tiger! Sofia is pretty strong. Sugimoto and co are close. Soon enough they'll find Asirpa and the others.
Yeah , I can't wait to see the main trio reunited again! Specially Asirpa and Sugimoto. Although it won't end well for Kiroranke and Ogata unless they make a deal, somehow.

And according to Sofia (she was really amazing in this chapter!), it seems that Wilk gave Asirpa his old child clothes so... she's had, all this time, the looks of a Karafuto aynu despite living with uchi among Hokkaido aynu.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Sugimoto's group is close. Ogata will do something next chapter...

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel like he'll either set some traps before Sugimoto's group catches up to them or he'll stay behind to make sure they don't. But yes, they are super close now, I expect a clash of some sort next chapter.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Chapter 183.

Asirpa found the key to find the gold(?) and Shiraishi is close to them! Sofia can't be Asirpa's mother so I guess Wilk forgot about her just like Inkarmat? Or he thought she was dead.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sofia can't be Asirpa's mother
Yes, with this chapter it's pretty clear that Sofia can't be Asirpa's mother; though that thought hadn't even crossed my mind if I'm honest.

It was so nice to get all those different flashback scenes of Wilk; especially of his time as a kid.

Looks like Ogata noticed a change in Asirpa right at the end of the chapter; knowing him he's likely to observe for a bit before acting on it. Let's hope it doesn't give her away.