Shounen - Kurogane by IKEZAWA Haruto | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Kurogane by IKEZAWA Haruto

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Kurogane
By: IKEZAWA Haruto
Genre: Sports, School Life, Ecchi
Serialized In: Weekly Shounen Jump
Mangaupdates

Kurogane Hiroto is in high school, where he is academically the top of his class but literally the worst in physical activity. Born with a weak body, he has no endurance, speed nor strength and Hiroto wants nothing more than to be a hero. Fate teases him by giving him phenomenal eye sight, which allows him to see well beyond anyone else in sports, but his body is not able to react to any of it.

He learns from his friend Shiratori, who wants to recruit him for the Kendo team, about a rumor about a ghost named Tojo Sayuri, who wields a katana and haunts an ally in the city. Half curious, Hiroto goes there only to find that the ghost is real and that Tojo Sayuri has been looking for a successor to her Sakura sword style for 150 years. Sayuri chooses him as the successor after being able to dodge her attack and forces him to learn the Sakura style. Even with the help of the ancient swordsman ghost, Hiroto has to overcome his poor motor skills in order to be the hero he always wanted to be.

Last edited:

Divinenega

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: [New] Kurogane by IKEZAWA Haruto

Well this series seems somewhat interesting. I like the concept and I could easily see it turning into a more mainstream battle manga if it needs to..Only real complaint so far is the art it's pretty inconsistent and there were times where Sayuri almost looked like a man. Though if the series lasts long enough I suppose the art will improve.

Of course if it;s true that the author badmouthed other JUMP series I;m not sure how much I can be on board with this one.

Galactic Tomahawk

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Still kinda mediocre but I couldn't bring myself to hate it.

I really wish they'd dropped the wacky mascot angle though, I like Sayuri way more in human form.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I'm not ready to judge Kurogane yet, good or bad. I did not hate the first chapter, which is a good start. There were good points: he draws action very well, Kendo matches should be fast paced and exciting. I like the characters, particularly Sayuri. Kurogane can be a bit cliche at times, especially his hero fetish but he's otherwise a nice lead.Shiratori is ditsy and annoying, the worst thing about the first chapter. Good enough to keep reading but not a series that grabbed me immediately.

I'm inclined to believe that Ikezawa did not bad mouth his fellow Jump mangaka and the rumor is the work of 2CH trolls. Far more likely than an un-sourced rumor being proven true ;)

Negative Syndicate

There's really nothing to talk about chapter 1 since it is just rewritten version of its one shot version. So, I think real judgement about this series will start on next chapter.

Zeromcd

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Kurogane Chapter 3 Chinese RAW ->HERE<-

RyuzakiRen

Manga Editor
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica

chapter 1: here

Chapter 2 here and here

Last edited:

BlaZin

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Chapter 2 is out from Clockwork Lies here~

Negative Syndicate

After reading up to chapter 4, this series isn't really that bad. I'm going to look forward on how it'll do on ranking.

RyuzakiRen

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica

chapter 3 is read here and visit here

---------- Post added September 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was September 28, 2011 at 12:15 PM ----------

chapter 4 HERE

RyuzakiRen

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
chapter 5 scan here

Zeltrax

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Kurogane is not bad at all...really like all the characters.
the sayuri and kurogane relationship is cliche but enjoyable.
Like negative, looking forward to see how it do in the ranking.

Hangedman

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
chapter 6 chinese scan here

Darjaille

Custom Title
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Chapter 2 Shock: Sasuke of this manga appears! And it's none other than... Cloud Strife? :jawdrop

It's not the best out there, but I find myself cheering for the main character. It's very similar to my stance to ST&RS, I was always interested in universe, and I always wanted to do kendo (if there was a club in my town, that is). Let's see what will happen with this.

BlaZin

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Chapter 6 & 7 From Clockwork Lies here~ Enjoy!

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Personally I love this series. It's got that classic sports manga feel I grew up with and if it keep ranking like it did with the first chapter, I could see it becoming quite popular.

Chapter 7 has been out for awhile so if you haven't read it watch for spoilers :p I honestly didn't see the coach moving Kurogane to the back position though it wasn't a far stretch of the imagination. I'm picturing them losing the first practice match but it coming down to Kurogane and he gets close to winning but loses probably because of his lack of physical strength which will inspire him or something to do better.