1. Two announcements to make:

Firstly, a new contest is up; for this week we have the Technology themed banner contest, so be sure to get involved and showcase your skills in design.

Secondly, voting for the Spring Art Contest is open, so be sure to vote for your favourite entry!
  2. The first voting day of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. We are looking for new moderators and News Writers. If you are interested, apply here.
  4. The first voting day of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  5. We Never Learn, U19, Demon Prince Poro's Diaries, Hungry Marie, Dr. Stone, Robot x Laserbeam. Tell us what you think of the newest additions to the WSJ line-up HERE!
  6. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Discussion Gowther

Discussion in 'Nanatsu no Taizai' started by Yoichi Hiruma, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Yoichi Hiruma

Yoichi Hiruma Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

United States
    What do you think?

Will Gowther betray his team and achieve his own goals or will he continue staying in the side of the Sins?

2. Demonspeed

Demonspeed The Hierophant

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member

Global Moderator

France
    But what is his goal? Charming all women? :heh

Meliodas told him to make his preparations before going to Camelot and he refused, I guess he is going to do something with Guila and come back to continue later. He might be heroic neutral or something, it looked like he would have obeyed if it was an order.

3. Olho07

Olho07 Registered User

Brazil
    It's just his nature combined with his power going berserk.
    Once Merlin deals with him, he'll be ok. He cared for pelio during 10 years without doing nothing. Just when he started to use his powers again, he went to the rampage

And I really want the sins reuniting and fighting together once more. The seven battling like the Dawn Roar should be awesome.

4. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike

Galactic Empire
    I think this is simply temporal. Gowther's natural state should be without emotion as far as I can tell. What we are seeing is likely the result of his ability going berserk, unknowingly taking in the emotions of those around him, those emotions influencing, changing him and in turn using his ability to change those around him. The armor he originally wore probably had the function of keeping his ability and thus him in check.

5. Nico Brown

Nico Brown MH Senpai

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

United States
    I always thought that Gowther may have been the one to have betrayed the Sins 10 years ago even though through his ability it showed Merlin. But I still think its possible plus maybe Merlin is covering up for him.

6. eefrit

eefrit He who controls the pants...

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Mangahelper

United States
    Gowther, in my opinion, is neither good or bad. His allegiance to King Bartra and the Sins happen to put him on the side of good, but he himself is fairly middling. He "naturally" favors the logical instead of the emotional, as we saw with his reaction to Hawk's apparent death.

From how I see it, his actions with Guila stem from nothing more than a want or, more specifically, "lust" to understand what love is, which is kinda sad. He can have Guila show him all of the love he wants, but in the end, he is forcing her and he himself most likely still won't understand in that manner.

7. danzouismadara

danzouismadara Registered User

United States
    villain.

I knew this the moment he 1) didn't hesitate to kill dale. 2) Knew Merlin was the one who knocked out Melodias.

8. Olho07

Olho07 Registered User

Brazil
    What're you talking about? He hesitate to kill Dale. He said that he couldn't kill him because Dale didn't ask to be in that form. Who killed him was Meliodas.
    I don't even know how Gowther can kill someone with his ability alone.
    And he can read minds. Knowing about Merlin isn't a proof.

9. eefrit

Mangahelper

United States
    I assume he is referring to when Gowther "decapitated" Dale's demonic head, which still isn't a good argument. Gowther went out of his way to preserve Dale and not harm him, going as far as to give him his own enchanted armor. Gowther "killed" him that first time to prevent Dawn Roar from interfering as he knew Dale was a Holy Knight. And when he finally did attack him, he put him in an illusion that allowed him to see his greatest desire. Gowther was rather merciful towards Dale. Nothing villainous there.

Yup, knowing about Merlin is far from proof seeing as how he had to read Mel's mind to discover that fact. Is he a creeper? Yes, but he's no villain. Ban's more of a "villain" than Gowther.

10. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike

Galactic Empire
    I think the current gowther should be treated as a drunkard. Gowther right now is not himself, he is under the influence of his own abilities. His armor was probably meant to prevent this sort of thing from happening to begin with. The issue here is that gowther did not look for an alternative to the armor from the start. He should have said something to meliodas. Or someone. But perhaps he was already down the way to going out of control when they first met him.

11. Holt

Holt Mastermind

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

Global Moderator

Nigeria
    We found out gowther is a doll and he was created by a great magician and I think its possible that Merlin created gowther.

First, she certainly classifies as a great magician. The greatest one we know at the moment. We also know she created the Balor's eye which gowther also has.
    The special armor gowther used in the past was given to him by Merlin and the other sins never knew what he looked like.
    She also seems to have a sort of motherly concern and attitude towards gowther.

After she reverts gowther to his doll state, she hands him over to slader and says he will be dealt with later as though she is responsible for him. There's definitely a history and relationship there. Its difficult to imagine a scenario where one finds out gowther is a doll and I wonder how Merlin would have discovered that.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  12. Incognitop

Incognitop Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

United States
    Re: Growther's Origin?

well if merlin created gowther wouldn't she be able to fully "absolute cancel" him?

a popular theory is that the person who created Gowther is Merlin's teacher or something along those lines. (Some people go so far as to suggest that he/she is the one that taught Merlin absolute cancel)

Nakaba might be setting up another "reality check" moment. Remember when King was introduced and he easily soloed Guila after the other 3 had problems? Then he easily beat Guila and Jericho at Byzel only to be owned by Helbram because there were underlying factors that we had not yet seen.

I can see something similar happening in this case. Merlin will be destroying someone in a fight with her magic, but then her spell will get "absolute cancelled" and then the whole anime stereotype will repeat with the "you have been using my magic improperly my foolish apprentice" thing.

Personally, I am hoping for this person to be an enemy, would be more interesting.

13. eefrit

Mangahelper

United States

This is pretty much what I think. I personally think Merlin's teacher might be her parent as well. So with that in mind, her and Gowther would be considered "siblings" of sort, which would explain there interactions. Merlin might have actually been around when he was created.

14. Holt

Holt Mastermind

Global Moderator

Nigeria

That does sound right. If she didn't create him, she either knows who did or was there when he was created.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's an even greater magician out there (perhaps merlin's teacher) but it would be weird if there was someone else that could use absolute cancel, assuming its her own ability and not just a super high level magic spell.

15. Demonspeed

Demonspeed The Hierophant

Global Moderator

France

Gowther's creator could be a Demon, maybe he is one of the Commandments. Albion is one of their creations, Merlin's race is unknown and we know she was studying Demon magics.

gnut likes this.
  16. Holt

Holt Mastermind

Global Moderator

Nigeria

She also reacted suspiciously when Mel told her the demons have been unsealed.
    Still except Mel's teacher was a demon, I don't really see a connection like that. Even that would still be a bit off.
    The demons have been sealed for 3,000 years and I doubt growther or Merlin are that old.

Most likely scenario in that case would be Merlin happened on some demon's lab at some time or something and activated growther. Perhaps the teachings and other things were written there and would explain how she knows some things about the demons.

17. Notice me Escanor senpai

Notice me Escanor senpai Registered User

Morocco

I am really curious about Gowther's creator, he's prolly even more powerful than Merlin and given how muich she's powerful/knowledgeable, I expect my mind to be blown if he ever gets introduced lol. I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't Merlin who created Gowther(it's Gowther btw not Growther) and I'm seriously questioning her motives for agreeing to take care of him. In the vampire special Mel says that she likes to have rare things, she prolly sees Escanor and Gowther like that, so that adds to her being shady I guess.

18. Holt

Holt Mastermind

Global Moderator

Nigeria

Yeah I know its gowther. I forget sometimes :fail. The creator could be a she though. Also, is it confirmed that merlin didn't create gowther? I mean its a bit unlikely but I don't recall if it has been stated.

19. Hamy

Hamy MH Senpai

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Hong Kong

Chapter 114 since she isn't claiming ownership whatsoever, only that someone else of great caliber had crafted him.
    http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/the_seven_deadly_sins/en/0/114/page/20

20. Holt

Holt Mastermind

Global Moderator

Nigeria

Ah yes. That sort of clears it and she also mentions that completely erasing it is difficult even for her absolute cancel. Guess that makes sense.