1. We Never Learn, U19, Demon Prince Poro's Diaries, Hungry Marie, Dr. Stone, Robot x Laserbeam. Tell us what you think of the newest additions to the WSJ line-up HERE!
  2. The new season of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!

3. Congratulations Ustegius for winning the Brothers set contest!, and well done to the other participants!.
    New Week, New Contest!
    Time for a short story. The theme is Dystopia. Showcase your writting skills!

Voting has begun for the Self Portrait Drawing contest!.
  4. We are looking for new moderators and News Writers. If you are interested, apply here.
  5. Nominate your favourite moments and characters in Fairy Tail as we celebrate the completion of the series.
  6. The Waifu Wars 2017 have reached its climax! Bring the salt and cast your votes!
  7. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Discussion Gowther

Discussion in 'Nanatsu no Taizai' started by Yoichi Hiruma, Jan 22, 2015.

1. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike

Galactic Empire
    Well, the manga does not actually say that. What the manga tells us is that breaking his commandment made him loose his self of self and identity. I guess we can't really rule out the possibility of this being the case although to me the idea sounds a tad arbitrary.

2. gnut

gnut Registered User

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member

United States
    yeah....i agree his body maybe elsewhere....same case with fraudrin i guess.

is that a cat?....maybe it's similar to puu from yuyu....
    once arthur awakens his powers....that creature will transform into some kind of battle animal.

like battlecat

[​IMG]
    :zomg

3. Gallon

Gallon Artichoke

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Mangahelper

Fun Forum
    Which demons have not recognized him? I don't recall anyone but Fraudrin actually seeing him. As for Galan, he fell prey to Invasion without seeing Gowther, as far as we know.

4. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

Galactic Empire
    Meliodas apparently. It is plausible meliodas has simply kept quiet about that. And even then, fraudrin is enough in this. He did not physically recognized gowther apparently.

5. Gallon

Gallon Artichoke

Mangahelper

Fun Forum
    Meliodas probably knows. He didn't recognize Gowther in his Armando appearance, but he should be aware of who he is. He must have known him 3000 years ago.
    As for Fraudrin, I dunno. He seemed pretty surprised when Gowther appeared back at the fight in the Kingdom, as if he recalled somebody with that appearance. Besides, it was not stated how Fraudrin recognized Gowther - appearance cannot be ruled out.

6. Baum

Baum Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

Germany
    Fraudrin implied he recognized Gowther's appearance:

[​IMG]

I'm, of course, not sure how accurate Mangastream's translation for that part is/was. I can't remember anyone telling us otherwise back when the chapter was released either, tho

Gallon likes this.
  7. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Quagmire

Global Moderator

France
    There are two things I am curious about. Is Gowther his true name or the name of the Doll? Same for his Magic.

If Gowther is his true name and/or Invasion his true Magic, Meliodas and Fraudrin should have discovered his identity long ago. Meliodas probably knows and is hiding the truth but what about Fraudrin?

8. Gallon

Gallon Artichoke

Mangahelper

Fun Forum
    Good question. It's entirely possible that he lost sense of who he was, including his name, and was given another name.
    The contrary is entirely possible, as well.

9. Baum

Baum Registered User

Germany
    I think Gowther knows that he isn't really himself at the moment...That's what I got from the short "conversation" he had with Meliodas after his fight with Diane when he said he doesn't want to "disappear" at least. And Mel definitely knows he used to be a commandment, or at the very least knows he is a part of the demon clan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do not think he knows that he used to be part of the demon clan tho, but that's really just a hunch, I can't think of anything that'd support that tbh.
    And I think Gowther is the name of the demon/commandment itself. Fraudrin called the commandment "Gowther the Selfless", I don't see why he'd make a title like that up and it's another point for Meliodas knowing Gowther's real (or rather former) identity because he's the one responsible for him to join the sins in the first place, and maybe "the Lust" refers to the reason why Gowther lost his emotions and everything, similar to how the other sins' titles aren't only (very vaguely) describing their "crimes" but also their actual character traits: Mel DOES have major anger issues, Diane can be pretty envious of others, Ban's greedy, King is slow/always too late and isn't exactly a fan of hard labor, (day) Escanor is prideful and Merlin's got an unhealthy "hunger" for all kinds of magical knowledge.
    Why can't (demon) Gowther be someone who selfishly indulged in lust before he literally lost himself?

10. Pietro

Pietro Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Galactic Empire
    In the volume 11 Nakaba says that Gowther in the orginal concept of the manga should have been a demon that had to protect Meliodas. But I don't think he's a demon. In a chapter himself says that every member of the sins it's from a different race,and I think it's even for him this.

11. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Quagmire

Global Moderator

France
    The last chapter confirmed that Gowther was his true name even as a Commandment. I had doubts before but now I am certain that Meliodas knew about his identity all along. It's a different story for Merlin though, she heard of the 10C but she doesn't know their abilities. Meliodas assembled each of the Sins personally so Merlin probably studied his Doll body when they met as Sins, but she knows Meliodas is hiding something.

12. oxtopus

oxtopus Registered User

Nigeria
    According,to the stories,gowther is merlins half-brother and in nnt they seem to have some kind of relationship and merlin seems to protective of gowther. Could they be related ??? gowther doll form may or may not be his original form considering gowther looks the same in doll form i'd say his doll form is his real form since it looks kind of demonic,maybe the doll size form is a result of him breaking his commandment and what the great magician merlin spoke of was trying to free gowther but couldn't return him to his original form but was able to free him partially,resulting in the current gowther. The great magician magic must have been so strong that absolute cancel can't fully erase it and return gowther to his original doll-like state,breaking his decree left him in permanently,but can do it temporarily.

13. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Quagmire

Global Moderator

France
    Maybe it looks similar to his original form since Fraudrin recognized him, or maybe it's becaue he knows how the Commandment works but we have seen is silhouette
    [​IMG]

Gowther and Merlin might be linked through the Mage who made the Doll, but in that case it would mean that he made the Doll with an appearance similar to the original body and Dreyfus guessed it or Merlin is lying. Anyway their stories are tied since she knows that Gowther wants to go somewhere.

14. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

Galactic Empire
    To me that still looks like the cat on top of arthur's head... I think it is connected to gowther's true nature.

The story merlin told could have many explanations at this point. The weird part is that gowther does turn into a doll when merlin uses absolute cancel on him... Which to me suggests that merlin is telling half a lie here. Imagine merlin using absolute cancel on mel.... It wouldn't turn him into an action figure (as far as we know anyways). So gowther broke his commandment, then stuff happened and he ended up being an actual doll. It is possible that the powerful mage merlin mentioned did seal the demon gowther within a doll. It is also possible that the mage in question was also merlin herself.

15. Rescorlian

Rescorlian Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

France
    Maybe the great mage Merlin speaks of is Gilfreezer. That would make things interesting and dynamic within the tournament arc.
    From all we know, all the demons were sealed. Maybe Gowther is one of a few exception as he was sealed not together with the others but within a doll.

16. Notice me Escanor senpai

Notice me Escanor senpai Registered User

Morocco
    The doll part is closely related to Pinocchio's story, and is even related to his commandment. Remember he's supposed to be selfless?
    So Pinocchio ought to be good, brave and selfless. At first he's given a wooden body,like dolls used to have. And Gowther wants to understand emotions, which in turn would make him a real boy.
    The similarities are too great to dismiss. So I'm not really convinced that Merlin's story is as she says, that he was made by someone, a great magician. We know for a fact that he was a demon, a commandment at that, but he broke his commandment by being selfish and he got his memories wiped, and lost the ability to have emotions. So while the doll could have been made by a magician, and it would actually be a magical tool, it can't really be that Gowther was "made" by him. Maybe his soul got attached to the doll somehow, but I'm really having a hard time imagining that Merlin was unaware of what the doll was, and of course his nature. So back then she was most likely only telling half the story, as in the doll as a magical tool was made by a magician, but she would have wanted to protect Gowther, since she could know that he's a demon.Which unsurprisingly also fits with the legends, that has Merlin and Gowther being siblings.
    Given her interest in the demons and the commandments in particular, it's not hard to imagine her accepting to take care of Gowther, based on the knowledge that she could have of him being a former commandment. It all fits imo.

17. ShadowCT6

ShadowCT6 Registered User

Brazil
    So, what do you think about the following theory: I think that Meliodas is a former Demon King and Gowther used to be one of his Commandments. When Meliodas lost his leadership 3000 years before the Great War, Gowther refused to obey the new Demon King, what activated his Commandment of Selfles (once the act of not help someone, obviously, isn't selfless. :P ) And yes, Gowther was cursed by his own commandment 3000 years before the Great War as well as said by Fraudrin.

18. LionSinOfPride

LionSinOfPride Registered User

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner

United States
    Just read chapter 176 and it was confirmed that indeed Meliodas was the former demon king so your theory about gowther could
    Be spot on!

19. Gallon

Gallon Artichoke

Mangahelper

Fun Forum
    Meliodas was the one suitable to become the successor to the Demon King - he's never been the Demon King.
    And besides, if Meliodas had given Gowther his decree, which he did not, he could have probably removed the effects of that very decree.

ShadowCT6 likes this.
  20. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Quagmire

Global Moderator

France
    Maybe Gowther was Meliodas's personal bodyguard/ attendant or something. His prototype had a role like that.

Calum, ShadowCT6 and Yakkun like this.