Shounen - Haikyuu!! by FURUDATE Haruichi | Page 24 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Haikyuu!! by FURUDATE Haruichi

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
OiHina can be canon, they hugged, and also both playing in South American teams...ships.

AsaNoya traveling the world cute.

Otherwise, outside of that

Surprised I was only wrong abouit Oikawa, who knew he'd become Argentinia and not play on JPN team.

Also Hinata leaving JPN afterwards to go play for Brazil, interesting outcome, I guess he really loved it there. (did MSBY Jackals not work out for him)

Fun chapter, and satisfying end, would have been a few things, Id have done a little different if I was doing the series (maybe more time in the 2nd/3rd year of HS, but otherwise) nice.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
...so that's it?

I'm disappointed, not going to lie. I guess the real one piece was the volleyball we played along the way.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I can see what would disappointing, but I cant think its that disapoointing, I mean, for a sports series theres only one outcome, just more sports and teams.

What else would one offer beyond more life stories.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
What else would one offer beyond more life stories.
A proper ending?

What was even the point of all the chapters past 370 (I think?) other than fanservice? I expected a final tournament, a final match with consequences, got neither.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
A proper ending?

What was even the point of all the chapters past 370 (I think?) other than fanservice? I expected a final tournament, a final match with consequences, got neither.
Consequences dont really exist outside of high school. Olympics is recurring, world tournaments are recurring, characters can play until 30's/40's. Unless a character had some debilitating condition, I don't see what consequences would exist.

The only match to get consequences would have had to be the high school interhigh on account you only get three shots at it

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Consequences dont really exist outside of high school. Olympics is recurring, world tournaments are recurring, characters can play until 30's/40's.
Yeah and you can win a medal...

Gonna leave it at that as the general consensus is that the chapter is great, but I couldn't disagree more.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah and you can win a medal...
That you can again retry for, 4 years later. Olympics as the high bar is as I said a recurring event that doesnt have the same sense of gravity or seriousness as "final tournament in high school" has.

I guess one can hope a short spinoff of the JPN team at that first olympics...or hope the anime or a movie expands that final chapter into a movie...

ItsSamu

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Amazing ending. I know I wanted Tsukki on the Olympic stage but I already knew that wasn't happening. There wasn't anything else I could ask for. The last arc has been the highlight of the series for me, loved every chapter.

A proper ending?

It did three things:
  1. Took the question that Nationals ended on: "What will you become tomorrow?" and answered it. Throughout the final arc it showed what everyone in the series went on to do with their lives, exploring how for some volleyball was what they wanted to keep doing but for others (most of the cast) they went on to do other things.
  2. Hinata finally beat/caught up to Kageyama's level and Kageyama acknowledged him.
  3. The ending (last chapter specifically) never showed the outcome of the Olympics because that match and what came after doesn't really matter. Choosing instead to show that Hinata and Kageyama keep on playing after that point, whether with or against one another, ends with the feeling that life goes on for them beyond the final page.
It's worth noting that we never even met the team that won the Nationals tournament (Ichibayashi High). Why? Because they had no significance to the story. That was clearly very intentional since this was instead about the Karasuno and all the other teams who ended up losing. In an alternate universe Haikyuu!! could have been the story about Ichibayashi being the best at high school volleyball for that one year, but Furudate went a different (imo better) route.

Last edited: