Shounen - Hand's by Itakura Yuuichi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Hand's by Itakura Yuuichi

ThE WoRm

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Well, as usually, I open such a thread again, this time for Hand's

In the first chapter, there was only one thing about handball, where Mizuki threw the rock and said that that's handball.

Translations:
Chapter 1 - by me
Chapter 2 - by me
Chapter 3 - by me

Edited Mangas:
Chapter 1 - Scanlated by promfret, translations by me
Chapter 2 - Scanlated by promfret, translations by me

I also translated the one shot, and SBM are working on releasing it, when it'll be released, I'll note you about it.

The translations for Hand's are for now free to be used by any person or team for Edited Mangas, for private use, people will need to talk with me, and if I'll feel like it :P

So, a brief view of what goes in chapter 1
The main character wants to be a hero, but his father is a bum that loses all of their money in gambling, but he was once the ace of the japanese team in handball. He goes to a coach and asks him to take care of his son, because he got into a debt and is running from the yakuza (I know it's the Yakuza for sure because the mangaka has something for the yakuza, that's what I found out from the one shot who I'll give a sum for next). The coach thinks he's an outstanding talent that has been given to him to coach, and he sends his daughter to pick him. Daigo (the main character) in the meanwhile, gets involve with the yakuza and runs away, and to save himself, he threatens Mizuki (the daughter) so he'll get free from the yakuza, some how it works, and than Mizuki understands Taigo is the kid who's coming to their home, but he doesn't know what is handball and says it's not him. She gets angry at his impoliteness and throws him to the river, when he falls to the river she's kidnapped by the yakuza. Because Taigo always dreamt about becoming a hero, he goes to save her and sinks the car on the way, after a hard try, they are saved, Mizuki goes to meet the kid who comes to live with them just to find out it's Daigo! *end of chapter 1*

And what goes on in the one shot?
A kid named Takeuchi Kouta is in love with a girl, he wants to confess it to her, and in the end he does, and she agrees to be his girlfriend because she feels something for him too. Just then, her father comes (when he disappears) and it turns out her father is a yakuza boss, saying he'll kill everyone who'll come near his daughter, Kouta appears and is found out by the yakuza boss, and than the girl says he's her boyfriend, after a while, the yakuza boss wants to cut Kouta's fingers because he made him admit that they've done it (although they haven't), but then he says he plays handball, after he sees something about handball on the wall, that saves him, and than he tells the yakuza boss he's the ace of his school, which appears to be quite good in handball... And than the father makes him join his private team for games, when he comes to the game, he's all afraid (the game is a day after it all happened) but because he's a ace pitcher in baseball he thought he might be able to do it, when he tells him to get on the court, he runs away, just to meet that girl who was brought by his best friend, they talk, and she tells him why she was in love with him all that while, and that's because she admired his playing skills, he goes to play in handball, and does a mess, but gets a goal and a lot of weird things happens, in the end he confesses to the boss, but says that he will one day become an ace and he'll show him, and the boss says he can't touch his daugher until that day comes. And so he made his first steps in the world of Handball

I somehow liked the one shot better, but who knows what will go of this :P
It's only chapter 1 Oo

Wololo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Hand's Edited Manga, Translation and discussion thread

well well I never thought anyone in japan even knew what handball is, seems I was wrong. I'm quite interested in seeing what kind of strange notions the mangaka has about handball before the manga get's cut. Afterall I doubt handball is popular enough in japan to be used in a manga.

ThE WoRm

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Israel

Well, amefuto was used too and it's not that popular ^^" And it's still on going ^^"

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

what the hell is this? I know handball is a game you play with a small ball where you hit it against the wall and stuff. Why the hell is there a goal and a ball a little bigger than a softball there?

ThE WoRm

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Israel

Hit it against the wall?
Handball is a combination of basketball and soccer like they said there, but in a really weird way :P So it's unaccurate to say that
You dribble and take points by getting the ball through the goal line, which have a goal keeper, you play only with your hands, that's the basics...

promfret

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Worm, your translation is free to use right?

Wololo

Reaction score
Country
Germany

Handball is closest to football (the real one not the american one). The only real difference is it is played with the hands. The field is like a mix of football and basketball though. The field itself is about as big as a basketball court but you have two goals, one for each team, and a half circle around each. This half circle is forbidden to enter for the offensive team and the defending team, except of course for the goal keeper, may only enter under special circumstances and not defend against a throw. So to defend against an attack you usually build a wall of players around this half circle to prevent the offensive team from throwing. And the offensive team tries to get past your defense by quick passing to outmaneuver the defense. It's quite a rough sport, often more so than football, with lots of body contact, meaning pulling pushing and so on. And like in football you get freethrows (like those freekicks in football and not like those in basketball) and penalties, when a foul occurs.

ThE WoRm

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Israel

*Until the damn caplocks got down*

promfret, yes, it's free to be used by anyone, ofcourse as long as they don't forget to credit me ^^"

And you forgot to say that you need to dribble :P and you have 3 steps without dribble, as I remember, but I'm not sure now ^^"

Wololo

Reaction score
Country
Germany

ThE WoRm said:
*Until the damn caplocks got down*

promfret, yes, it's free to be used by anyone, ofcourse as long as they don't forget to credit me ^^"

And you forgot to say that you need to dribble :P and you have 3 steps without dribble, as I remember, but I'm not sure now ^^"

I'm not sure about this point myself I only played handball sometimes during phys ed classes at school and the only thing I remember about the rules on dribbling is that they are less strict than those in basketball.

Oh and I noticed an error in my description the offensive team may enter the half circle to throw but they may not touch the ground within the half circle before throwing. In other words they can jump as far in as they want.

ThE WoRm

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Israel

Yes, that's why it's called the air fighting sport :P Because you fight with a jump in there.
Although it was weird, a series about Handball, and the first chapter had almost no handball in it Oo

Kyuzo

Reaction score
Country
United States

Does anyone have a higher quality scan of c001 than the one the Touch posted?

ThE WoRm

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Israel

I think that correctly there is no better one than that ^^"

ThE WoRm

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Re: Hand's Edited Manga, Translation and discussion thread (Chapter 1 scanlated)

Cheers alright :P[br]Posted on: October 04, 2006, 04:49:05 PM_________________________________________________Updated the topic

Rheso

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Hand's Edited Manga, Translation and discussion thread (Chapter 1 scanlated)

A manga about Handball, sounds interesting.
Just about right in time with the Handball World Cup in January 2007.
Lots of new fans :smile-big

Kyuzo

Reaction score
Country
United States

Anyone planning on doing actual Edited Mangas of this series (as in cleaned etc., not just typset)?

ThE WoRm

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Israel

The double page has become into one!

Kyuzo, I don't see any reason to complain, IMO it's quite good compared to the raws which are LQ... If you want a version that has "cleaning" added to "typesetting", wait for the Tankuban raws for Hand's to come out

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

seriously, its such a big waste of time to clean these. The tank will make everything good.

Kyuzo

Reaction score
Country
United States

I wasn't complaining, I was just wondering. I was thinking about debinding the latest issue of jump, scanning it myself, and Editing it with a couple people but it's not really necessary now, but I was wondering if anyone was going to do that.