Archived Hangout Thread v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
It's getting too many complaints for being too much action and not enough story...
To be fair, that goes for all Terminator movies. They're shoot-boom-bang action flicks to begin with.

People tend to glorify a little much. The current Star Trek movie is a fine example on fanscene gone wrong.
 

nat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,979
Reaction score
2,132
Gender
Female
Country
Bermuda
I don' have them online. I think you misunderstood me, :p . I do my drawings on a sketchbook, not on the computer, if you know what I mean? Pencil drawings buy with advanced shading etc..I don't know how to draw on the computer. :D
You can always scan or photograph :D

bean, there are many ways. some can be like you described, sketching traditionally and the scanning to the PC and then coloring. and there are also 100% digital approaches. Lately I've been doing only digital, but when I can't seem to get an angle right I sketch traditional and then ink.

though shading is much easier traditionally, because you have better pen/pencil pressure.
 
Last edited:

Weapon_X

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
3,314
Reaction score
2,611
Gender
Male
Country
England
You can always scan or photograph :D
But I need a printer to do that. :p Sadly I do not posses a printer because I don't print ANYTHING. Come to think of it, hardly ever used a printer apart from when I was in school.

I just draw all my drawings on a sketch book without colour. Colour ruins it I think..:\
 

bean

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
6,660
Reaction score
1,578
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, cause I still don't get some parts of the previous 3 movies. As you watch LOST casually ,I watched the Terminator movies casually. Hmm, so who is the better Terminator? It has to be Arnie, I don't think Christian Bale would be able to compete with him. You gotta have the body n all to be Terminator. :\ Unless this is a total different Terminator movie..
I watch lost casually, but I'm not totally lost...I might not know dumb little easter egg details, but I know what's going on...

but like I said, all you need to know (and not really) are the characters. Who is john conner and who he's supposed to be, who his mother was, who his father was. What is skynet and why the machines are attacking...basic shit. Arnold will always be the best terminator, there's no topping him, but Bale played Jon Conner, and he did an awesome job.


To be fair, that goes for all Terminator movies. They're shoot-boom-bang action flicks to begin with.

People tend to glorify a little much. The current Star Trek movie is a fine example on fanscene gone wrong.
well to be fair, the previous three had really compelling stories. 1st one was great because of the whole time paradox thing. 2nd one was good because of the conflicting relationship with the machines and conner being groomed into what he's supposed to be. The third was a bit more action oriented, but we got to see that no matter what, one couldn't change the future... 4th one is good, but it doesn't really push the story forward. It's more of a set up or at best just a side story. It's a gaiden.

But what do you mean by the star trek stuff? did you not like it?
 
Last edited:

Weapon_X

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
3,314
Reaction score
2,611
Gender
Male
Country
England
I watch lost casually, but I'm not totally lost...I might not know dumb little easter egg details, but I know what's going on...

but like I said, all you need to know (and not really) are the characters. Who is john conner and who he's supposed to be, who his mother was, who his father was. What is skynet and why the machines are attacking...basic shit. Arnold will always be the best terminator, there's no topping him, but Bale played Jon Conner, and he did an awesome job.
<hr noshade size="1">
Oh right, with me I'm a MAD fan about Lost. In my opinion I think it's the best TV show ever made (aside form comedies). Dude, you didn't know what Juliet's name was. You described her as "blondie " or "blonde" forgot which one LOL

Christian Bale played John Connor, but not Terminator. I see, so this movie is mainly about characters and their stories. Hmmm, might give it a try after the HP movie.. I liked the Termiator series but when Terminator: Sarah Chronicles series came out, I kinda gave up on the whole thing. Might get back to it after this movie..
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
well to be fair, the previous three had really compelling stories. 1st one was great because of the whole time paradox thing. 2nd one was good because of the conflicting relationship with the machines and conner being groomed into what he's supposed to be. The third was a bit more action oriented, but we got to see that no matter what, one couldn't change the future... 4th one is good, but it doesn't really push the story forward. It's more of a set up or at best just a side story. It's a gaiden.
The new one is supposed to be between the two times anyways. It can only take so much from the former movies. Connor is the only one who ever saw a 'friendly' Terminator and that was in the past even :/

And, can't really agree with you. I love the first and second movie but I can't really see that they have a deep story. Action is clearly what drives the story in both of them.

But what do you mean by the star trek stuff? did you not like it?
Not at all. I went on the starting weekend and will go a second time tomorrow, which is rare for me.

I just have a really good laugh on people who screw over the movie because the cooler system of the Enterprise isn't accurate to the original series...
 

Marq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
629
Reaction score
119
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I was just about to ask the same thing. I was like.. whoa, what was wrong with Star Trek?

*brings out rusty bat* /jk.
edit:

wait.. whut.. you got to be pulling my leg.. That's what they complain about? smh.

Woot, the deadline for the portfolio submission was extended. Sweet at least I have more time to put more.
 
Last edited:

bean

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
6,660
Reaction score
1,578
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh right, with me I'm a MAD fan about Lost. In my opinion I think it's the best TV show ever made (aside form comedies). Dude, you didn't know what Juliet's name was. You described her as "blondie " or "blonde" forgot which one LOL

Christian Bale played John Connor, but not Terminator. I see, so this movie is mainly about characters and their stories. Hmmm, might give it a try after the HP movie.. I liked the Termiator series but when Terminator: Sarah Chronicles series came out, I kinda gave up on the whole thing. Might get back to it after this movie..
well not knowing her name and not knowing who she is are two different things. If someone were to reference juliet, I would know who they're are talking about. I just don't care enough to memorize everyone's names. I know jack, locke, sawyer, hurley, sayid, jin, sun, etc... but like I said, not knowing a name is not the same as not knowing a character. If I remember correctly, you didn't know she had big boobs, so ARE you really a mad lost fan?

but it;s kinda silly not to want to watch terminator because of a tv show...you know they're not the same thing, right? it's like if I stopped reading naruto altogether because of the shitty shitpoohden series...


The new one is supposed to be between the two times anyways. It can only take so much from the former movies. Connor is the only one who ever saw a 'friendly' Terminator and that was in the past even :/

And, can't really agree with you. I love the first and second movie but I can't really see that they have a deep story. Action is clearly what drives the story in both of them.
yeah, action was a big part of the first two...but the story also pushed the action along... The movies are successful because the action and story are well balanced....a movie with awesome action still falls flat on it's face and fails if the story isn't good... The story is only as deep as you want it to be...and for me, if you really think about it, the implications of what the movies are suggesting, it's not camus or nietzche, but it's not just a shallow action popcorn flick either.
Not at all. I went on the starting weekend and will go a second time tomorrow, which is rare for me.

I just have a really good laugh on people who screw over the movie because the cooler system of the Enterprise isn't accurate to the original series...
oh completely agree on this part. I'm glad jj ripped the franchise away from the trekkie fans...if only someone can do that to G. Lucas and star wars...Lucas killed his own baby.


I was just about to ask the same thing. I was like.. whoa, what was wrong with Star Trek?

*brings out rusty bat* /jk.
edit:

wait.. whut.. you got to be pulling my leg.. That's what they complain about? smh.

Woot, the deadline for the portfolio submission was extended. Sweet at least I have more time to put more.
they complain about every stupid shitty detail. Anything, and they'll complain about it...I thought I heard someone complaining that the enterprise wasn't built in ohio, that it was built in SF...ask me, I'll say who gives a shit, it was built. Not only that, JJ worked it so that he can answer any discrepancy: alternate timeline.
 
Last edited:

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
and for me, if you really think about it, the implications of what the movies are suggesting, it's not camus or nietzche, but it's not just a shallow action popcorn flick either.
Yeah, that's true.

Hmm... I think modern movies have a hard time to balance story and action out. They need to score points and the fastest way to do so is via a festival of effects and lots of hyper fast action.

Older action movies, such as T1 and T2, were limited in effects and had to add up with either plot or humor. I enjoy the fact that those movie don't show all sparky details but leave a lot in the shadows. They're also slower in story pacing. If you look back in movie history, the older the movies are the more slow and frozen camera shots they have. Action flicks of the 70ies and 80ies have really long shots per scene, while the mid-90ies movies started to speed up extremely.

I see this very well on my children. They're so much used to modern children movies that old ones appear to them as boring due to the slow pacing. They sit in front of the TV and start to move their bodies because they can't concentrate on such long camera shots and in worst cases they stop watching in the middle.

oh completely agree on this part. I'm glad jj ripped the franchise away from the trekkie fans...if only someone can do that to G. Lucas and star wars...Lucas killed his own baby.
I consider myself a trekkie as well and I'm very pleased with the new movie :3

As for Star Wars... let's just hope he doesn't get the idea and continues the thing in 10 years with the three final eps >.>

Not only that, JJ worked it so that he can answer any discrepancy: alternate timeline.
Exactly. Nothing is wrong in this movie since nothing is supposed to be set as the original series in the first place. This isn't limited to just characters but also to technical details.
 

bean

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
6,660
Reaction score
1,578
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Older action movies, such as T1 and T2, were limited in effects and had to add up with either plot or humor. I enjoy the fact that those movie don't show all sparky details but leave a lot in the shadows. They're also slower in story pacing. If you look back in movie history, the older the movies are the more slow and frozen camera shots they have. Action flicks of the 70ies and 80ies have really long shots per scene, while the mid-90ies movies started to speed up extremely.
I completely understand what you mean...I remember growing up that I would think movies that were an hour and a half to take forever because so much would happen within the movies...nowadays, movies can be 2 hours long and you wouldn't even know it because they move so fast.
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
hmmm, i was going to take a bath so i tapped water and then went to check up a politic debate for the EP-elections...I forgot to bath and the water is cooold now.... -.-*
 

Asusp3v4x

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
3,322
Reaction score
889
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
well... you can sleep, you can roar, you can climb...

but heating water... is just not in the list ^_^...

can you make it hot again ???
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
haha yeah it's definatley not on the list, i can refill the bathtub or something, don't worry, she's 20mins until midnight, and a midnight bath can't be harmful can it? :D
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
The next Hideo game better be a PS3 exclusive or else.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top