Archived Hangout Thread v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever_Melody

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,886
Reaction score
634
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
lol yeah true enough :p

Well I know what I'm looking for so no worries. I'll need more than low end dedicated GPUs however. Probably something along the line of either a high end 128bit bus or a 256bit bus. Depends if Asus comes out with the nice HD4860 mobile version before the end of summer >.>

Honestly, my program recommends stuff you can't get in retail stores and most mainstream stores charge pretty high prices for most of their hardware anyways. Nah, my program recommends a workstation graphics card like an Nvidia Quadro(preferably FX) or an ATI FireGL. Those things cost like 3 times their consumer counterparts in both worlds(laptop and desktop) :o.

I always build desktops though. Can't exactly do the same with laptops as only RAM, HDD and CPU(somewhat) are interchangeable. Everything else usually voids warranty lol :p

I just need something akin to my current desktop(AMD Phenom II 920 & ATI HD4850) since the University judged that sufficient for "at home" assignments. The have monster computer labs there though. Like all their computers are dual scren display with tri-SLI or Crossfire GPUs and Quad Cores >.> The multimedia computers have the new i7s too >.>
 
Last edited:

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Yeah, we get the new i7's cheap through Intel's retail training rewards program, if I'm not mistaken :3 And yep, most people I know have CPUs built/they build them so that they can make them how they want. At least 3 of the guys I work with on the sales floor do it habitually. "Dude, I just put a new *(#487 processor in with 83934 gb ddr3 ram" etc etc etc. They all try to one up another -_-; I usually walk away when those conversations start~

And I think even changing the memory in the laptops voids the warranty >_>
 

Forever_Melody

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,886
Reaction score
634
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Pretty sure RAM doesn't void the warranty for most laptops. At least, for those I sell it doesn't void it >.> Normally it'll void if the manufacturer made the design so that the bottom has only one opening for all the parts and if you open that part, it voids warranty. most of them however make different openings for the different parts and only the main openings void warranty.
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Ahh, I hadn't realized that. Good to know :) Hrm, not that the manufacturer's warranty ever seems to help me :/ BTW, where do you work?

hrm, I wonder if I should upgrade the the ram in my macbook then..it's expandable to 4, and I currently have 2 gigs in here....hmmmmmm......
 

Forever_Melody

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,886
Reaction score
634
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Be sure ot buy Apple RAM though. Apple has that nice thing where oyu can only put Apple certified stuff onto their products and pay the nice premium price that goes with it(Apple RAM costs almost double regular RAM lol :p)

And I work part-time at Staples btw(the French Canadian version though).

I'm sure you offer extended warranties at Best Buy though since we do as well?
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
And yeah, I know. The other problem is that it's ddr3 which makes it even more expensive to buy. Ah well, I think I get discounts on it, and I know I can get it installed for free from one of the guys. I hate installing/setting stuff up >__>
 
Last edited:

Forever_Melody

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,886
Reaction score
634
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
lol idk what to call them in English, we call them "guarantie prolongée" and "tout risque" and stuff. On furniture it's called "FPP". It depends on the actual price of the said machine we're selling what type of warranty we sell and how we "codename" it lol :p

Oddly, cashiers sell almost as many warranties as tech salespeople at my store. Is it the same at yours? I have a friend who works at Best Buy and she says the cashiers aren't really successful at selling warranties.
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
depends on what its being attached to. Cashiers don't ring out computers(we do), so they don't sell warrenties.
 
Last edited:

Forever_Melody

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,886
Reaction score
634
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I wasn't even trained at all O_O

Cashiers usually get a few of them since except computers everything passes by them most of the time so they get opportunities. I probably sell the most when I'm a the cash actually >.>
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
You guys don't get trained in product knowledge or how to interact or anything? o.o
 
Last edited:

Forever_Melody

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,886
Reaction score
634
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Oh well there is training, I'm just saying *I* personally didn't get any(other than those cheap internet trainings that nobody really reads carefully). I was hired during July, the month where most bosses and employees are on vacation before the "back to school" season so nobody properly trained me. I just winged it >.>
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
xD I got hired last summer!
 
Last edited:

Grizz

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
New day... whats up peeps???
 

Marq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
629
Reaction score
119
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
augh.. that avatar.. awww man. Not cool XD.

I"m just going to relax and work on the portfolio. As always, as it may seem mudane but I have to do it.

AT least I got one of my letters of recommendation. Man my prof was brutal with his review :(
 

Grizz

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Ooooh you dont like my avatar? what did ur prof say on ur review???
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
G'morning H-O thread!
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
morning Blai!! :waves

what you up to today?
 

Asusp3v4x

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
3,322
Reaction score
889
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
*lurking around...*

*hiding in the back of the class hehehe *
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
lol you sly dog....ain't you on your holiday yet??

Nearly everyone here is finished...
 

Asusp3v4x

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
3,322
Reaction score
889
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Holiday o_O... what you talking about :XD

I have classes all the way until mid of June... maybe I will have classes and test in July...

There is no Holiday here Boy :XD... it is all guts and blood :yelling
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top