Discussion Have you ever played a Visual Novel?

Cosign

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 9, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
A brief introduction... In my spare time, I work as a fan translator for visual novels. http://vndb.org/d6
Currently the project I am working on is called Katahane. tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php?title=Katahane

And so as a fan translator, I am overly curious. Have you heard of visual novels before? Have you played one? And most importantly, why not if you have not?



List of all translated visual novels to date:
http://translationlibrary.blicky.net..._vnlibrary.htm




My blog.
visualnovelaer.wordpress.com

Any comments appreciated.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
As a rule, let's keep anything R-18 out of the discussion. Thank you!

I'm familiar with Hakuoki ~Shinsengumi Kitan~ through the anime but haven't played the game before. I'm a fan of Kazuki Yone's character design so I would love to play the other titles she's worked on. What do you mean they're all otome games? XD
 

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
2,677
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I play them but so many of them are in Japanese and learning it seems to take too much effort. (Yea, I'm lazy but I think the kanji is appears so overwhelming, sigh.) The ones I usually play are eroge but I'm kind of sick of those types of VN. So many VN out there are eroge and a few of them are non-eroge.

The only non-eroge game I've played thus far is Ever 17: Out of the Infinity. My favorite and it showed that a market exist for non-eroge games.

That aside, for some of the eroge VN games I've played are old school such as those that were originally available for DOS/Win 95/98. The were good but I guess that's memories for ya. Anyway, played some of the newer ones out there and thought it was just crap. I know they are erotical games but I guess these days, I'm looking for more depth.

Best wishes for your project.

But, I think I'm getting more into action type games and the whole clicking through isn't that appealing. That or I haven't found a good VN to play.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I've played two Visual Novels: Tsukihime and Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (first episode).
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I've never played a VN, only seen some anime based on. I've watched the Key Studio's adaptions (Air, Kanon, Clannad) and the ef franchise but never played them. I'd be interested if there were some way to play online.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
If you have an iPod Touch or an iPhone, you can download the first episode of Higurashi for free. The second one has just been released in the App Store, but you have to pay to download it. It might be free later on though...
 

LilaChan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
568
Reaction score
100
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
I played a little bit of Memories Off, but got bored because it was boring. The only thing that saved it was the songs by Mizuki Nana.

I started Starry*Sky, my first otome game, for the seiyuu cast.

Oh I played the Hetalia mini games by the original mangaka. They were visual novel styled.
Kaiten said:
I'd be interested if there were some way to play online.
I know you can *watch* Clannad visual novel, someone uploaded the game play on youtube. There's not much difference if you just want to watch the happy end storyline. I cried while watching Kyou's arc, since back during when Clannad season one was airing, Kyou's arc was full animated. Obviously it got animated when Clannad AS ened.
 

~FrienD~

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2009
Messages
257
Reaction score
30
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
It's hard to find non r-18 vn nowadays with all those new and popular titles. I got tired of VNs since they almost have the same plot and same character types anyways.
 

Jiraiya-sama

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 26, 2006
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
@Segua: Kanji is a nightmare, I say that as someone who has sworn to be able to read and write in Japanese as an eventual life goal. I am currently playing Hotel Dusk and I'm a hardcore fan of Phoenix Wright, if they count as visual novels.
 

LilaChan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
568
Reaction score
100
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
@Segua: Kanji is a nightmare, I say that as someone who has sworn to be able to read and write in Japanese as an eventual life goal. I am currently playing Hotel Dusk and I'm a hardcore fan of Phoenix Wright, if they count as visual novels.
That's why you play fully voiced games...

I managed playing Starry*Sky...I learnt ALL my Japanese from knowing chinese (so I can read the kanji and give it a guess) and from anime. :p
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ive only fully played Fate/Stay Night.... XD

I would love it if Hollow Ataraxia would get translated~
 

CBlitz

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 23, 2008
Messages
4,011
Reaction score
2,167
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
hmm I've played all the Umineko question and current answer arcs so far. They're fantastic, but I'm probably being biased since it was also my first Visual Novel. I've also played all of Type Moon's stuff (Fate/Stay Night & Tsukihime). Ataraxia is being translated but its coming along kinda slowly. I think Tsukihime is getting a remake or something but don't take my word for it. F/SN is great, it even has a non-eroge version too. I'm currently playing Ever 17 (really good) and Clannad right now. Clannad is insaaaaaaaaaaanely long though, it'll take me ages to finish lol

and as soon as I get my new desktop, I'll probably buy the Higurashi question and answer arcs from Mangagamer. Will have to get the ps2 sprite patches though

so yeah, if you're new to visual novels and stuff, I fully recommend Umineko. Its easy to get into, has no eroge, and is absolutely incredible. A PS3 port is coming out in the winter, and its apparently gonna be fully voiced and have better sprites. I hope it gets reverse-ported back onto the PC lol
 
Last edited:

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ataraxia is being translated but its coming along kinda slowly..... Tsukihime .... Ever 17 ... and Clannad
Ya Ive been attempting to help with the translation efforts of Ataraxia but years and years go by XD, and those 3 Ill probably Play, Though Ive never seen or heard of Ever 17, but if its "Really Good" then maybe I should look at it.

On another note, I was reading the skills and other information about the Characters in the Fate Stay Night game a few nights ago, when I got to Casters Skills and noticed that there was a Neko Arc hidden on the screen XD XD, I was sorta creeped out for a second XD
 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
9 Hours 9 persons 9 doors.

is the first thriller vn that I've ever tried.

So awesome. I don't know what to say without going off topic here but anyone into VNs should check it out if they have a DS.
Since it's only available on the ds.

Oh, and phoenix wright, Lawyers/attorneys are cool there.
 

feisu-chan

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
250
Reaction score
110
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I started playing Fate/Stay Night. But it bored me. I didn't get past day one. maybe when i have nothing to do, I'll continue playing it. I want to hear more of Sugiyama Noriaki!
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
like most novels or anything - if you dont stick with it long enough, you dont get interested
 

CBlitz

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 23, 2008
Messages
4,011
Reaction score
2,167
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
yeah F/SN has a lot of boring moments in the beginning. But at least get past the prologue. Not that the Fate route is that good or anything, UBW and Heaven's Feel are the reasons people read this VN
 

feisu-chan

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
250
Reaction score
110
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
^^I've only played the PSP game! But thanks for that! Will continue with F/SN sometime! Any other vn suggestions? I downloaded Narcissu but haven't got it installed yet. Is it good? Worthy to try?

Oh, and there probably are more eroge out there than wholesome ones. Any great suggestions that are "not too much"? I live in an apartment, and sometimes with my little cousins. I don't want to risk having them walk in on me and get wrong ideas! :p
 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Sad thread. Reviving it.
For anyone that has played Ever17 will probably know this, it's amongst one of the best vn for romance, mystery, story and
characterization. It's true, I just played it and wooooow.
It's one of those vn with no eroge at all and succeed extremely well. By the same writers from 999 on the ds, I recommend
anyone new to visual novels to give ever17 a go.
I could have wrote a review of it but I'll pass, going in there fresh and unaware is the best.
E17 also have the best characters I ever met and interacted with as a player, it draws you in and makes you fall in love :wtf
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I've only played Umineko no Naku Koro ni. But I haven't finished that one yet, it's quite long and full of texts. XD
Visual novels are interesting. It builds the environment of the story better because of the pictures and the soundtracks, unlike when we read physical novels. That's what I like from visual novels. But from what I heard several visual novels involve the readers as well, in which you can make choices and lead the plot to different results. That is so interesting. :3
 
Top