Archived - Healthy Eating Guide | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Archived Healthy Eating Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azurel

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I found a very good website while I was searching for a list of food with low sodium intake for my dad. :amuse

Healthy Diet
http://www.elderlynursing.com/health_diet.htm
Generally talk about the constituents of a healthy diet such carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, fiber. (For You)

Low Sodium/Salt Diet
http://www.elderlynursing.com/low_salt_diet.htm
Especially good for those suffering from high blood pressure. It gives a very comprehensive list of what should or should not be taken.

Elderly Diet
http://www.elderlynursing.com/elderlydiet.htm
Food that are suitable for the elderly (for your parents or grandparents) Generally states food to include in diet and food to avoid.

Low Fat & Low Sugar Diet
http://www.elderlynursing.com/low_sugar_low_fat_diet.htm
Gives a general guidelines for those who wants to lose weight or have elevated cholestrol level. It also includes a comprehensive list of what should or should not be taken.

There are many different type of diets in the website but I've only listed those that I think are useful for many.

Happy eating! :)

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Thanks for the info, Azurel! :thumbs
I did something like that too when I was taking care of my dad. I'm sure others will find it useful and helpful, especially those that needs to maintain a specific diet. I know i need to shave off several kilograms myself. :D

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Information are meant to be shared :smile-big

Thanks to my biochem lecturer, I've learnt that a Low Fat & High Carbo Diet does not help you to lose weight, contrary to popular beliefs. Basically because sugar can be converted to fats. :p

qwan3356

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, the Low Sodium/Salt Diet will help me out wit my pops, he got high blood pressure, and needs to eat right. . . .
So Thanks Azurel!

Fugitive

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Azurel said:
I've learnt that a Low Fat & High Carbo Diet does not help you to lose weight, contrary to popular beliefs. Basically because sugar can be converted to fats.
Yeah... with a sedentary life style.
A good diet must be complimented with exercise.
Though, with a HIGH carbohydrate diet, I guess the excess crabs that aren't converted to energy would eventually convert to fat.

It really does depend, though, on the amount of exercise that compliments a person's diet.

tune

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
rate of individual metabolism counts too :amuse , you get some people who do not get fat with chips ><
i'm not one of those lucky people ;_;

hi-protein does not help either :)
drop all snacks and supper, end your meal at 70% fullness, a must for breakfast, and finish your dinner 4 hours before sleeping <- thats the workout for my relative who's an air stewardess
++ excercise & use the stairs instead of lifts :)

the food pyramid is your friend :)

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
tune said:
the food pyramid is your friend :)
What's a food pyramid? The first thing on my mind seeing that phrase is "I'm on top and anything under me will eventually get eaten, bwahahaha!"

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
qwan3356 said:
So Thanks Azurel!
no probs ^^

tune said:
rate of individual metabolism counts too :amuse , you get some people who do not get fat with chips ><
Uhh, I think I'm probably one of them. I've no meal schedule. I eat whenever I feel like eating and that includes dinner at 12 midnite. I also eat whatever I feel like eating (junk food) and skips breakfast almost everyday. My friends say I'm lucky coz I can eat anything or as much as I want and I don't get fat. :blink And guilty of not exercising.

Yeah, I pretty much live a very unhealthy lifestyle. :XD It's not that I hate sports, I only enjoy team sports but I'm not so committed to join a sports club. So here I am. :s But I did promised myself to get a bike and take up cycling again, once the construction near my neighbourhood is complete.

However, my theory is that if you can't exercise much, then the amount of calories you take should never exceed the amount you used. So for example, if you are the type to sit in front of the computer all day, you probably won't need to eat much. ;)

ichimaru_gin_n_tonic said:
What's a food pyramid? The first thing on my mind seeing that phrase is "I'm on top and anything under me will eventually get eaten, bwahahaha!"
:rofl That's one way of looking at it. But basically in a food pyramid, the food at the bottom of the pyramid are bread, rice etc your main supplement followed by fruits and vegetables, and next up would be meat, milk, eggs and on the top would be sweets, fats and oils. From bottom to the top, signifies the amount you should take; bottom being the most and top the least.

tune

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
doesn't it look sleek :) *but that's beside the point...*

tip of the pyramid -> eat less
base of the pyramid -> eat more

and purposely eating much less carbo than your body can handle is no good either, since the brain uses glucose to function...that's why many people feel the need to eat sweets (full of glucose~) during crams or exams :D

Last edited:

Epul

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Fhew! there is a lot of info here... I always find these scientific terms and theory a bit confusing. let me simplified it:
it really is up to the individual. Like azurel said, never take in more than you need. If you eat a lot, it is common sense that you should exercise more too. If you eat less, you still have to exercise but not as much. It is all abou self- control...

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Epul said:
it really is up to the individual. Like azurel said, never take in more than you need. If you eat a lot, it is common sense that you should exercise more too. If you eat less, you still have to exercise but not as much. It is all abou self- control...
^^ well said, so what are your eating habits??

tune said:
that's why many people feel the need to eat sweets (full of glucose~) during crams or exams :D
very true! ^^ I take it your a full-pledged Singaporean mugger.. :p

Epul

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I pretty much eat what i want but i impose self- control in my eating habits. for example I like to eat chocolates but i restrain myself from eating it everyday. however despite saying that i have one particular habit that is dangerous to my health that i can't seem to get rid of......... :(

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Epul said:
for example I like to eat chocolates but i restrain myself from eating it everyday.
I like chocolates ^^ but I don't have an addiction, I just eat when there's any in my fridge. :amuse
Epul said:
however despite saying that i have one particular habit that is dangerous to my health that i can't seem to get rid of......... :(
:blink wad habit is that??

Epul

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
let just say it involves smokes.........

tune

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Azurel said:
very true! ^^ I take it your a full-pledged Singaporean mugger.. :p
nope :) i'm a mugger when there are exams, other than that, i'll slack through-out my school hours and at home :D and i don't like sweets...i have no idea, but they don't appeal to me with those "fruity" fragrances :)

Epul said:
smoking? kicking a habit is tougher than it looks ><
keep up the fight!~ :)

if you like chocolate, go for the bitter ones. they are lower in sugar content :) and chocolate is good for health *cocoa = plant = good for health, my biology teacher said so :) *
...well, its reported to relieve stress :D

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Epul said:
smoking is a bad habit indeed ;)
tune said:
i don't like sweets...
:eek how can you NOT like sweets. Well if you don't fruity flavours, wad about caramel?
Epul said:
if you like chocolate, go for the bitter ones.
dark chocolates. yikes, I rather not eat chocolate if there's only the bitter ones. :p

tune

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Azurel said:
:eek how can you NOT like sweets. Well if you don't fruity flavours, wad about caramel?
not caramel too :) i get sick of sweet stuffs in a jiffy~
*if your mom bakes cakes everyday and the house is filled with the fragrance of cakes, you'll grow to be picky about dessert... :amuse *

chocolate is "supposed" to taste fabulous with blue cheese >< but i haven't tried blue cheese before :)

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Want to lose weight? Eat Slowly

How many times have your parents yelled at you to chew your food well?

In fact, Ayurveda even suggests you must eat your food slowly and chew each morsel 32 times, since you have 32 teeth. This, says the ancient Indian science, is beneficial for digestion and, consequently, results in good health!

A recent study, conducted by Kathleen Melanson, assistant professor of nutrition and food science at the University of Rhode Island, USA, also shows that women who eat their food slowly stay slim.

In our busy life, most of us go through our meals without really tasting or savouring it. Try this -- ask anyone you know what they had for lunch the day before. Most of the people you ask this question to will be unable to give you the right answer. Do you remember what you ate yesterday?

We tend to eat so quickly that the meal rarely registers in our memory.

Chewing your food well and eating it slowly can have several benefits.

Chewing helps to break down the food in the mouth itself. This is where the first step of digestion takes place, where the food mixes with saliva. If you tend to eat very quickly, without really chewing well, a lot of gas bubbles get trapped in the food. This gives you the 'bloated' feeling, resulting in the production of gas, and belching.

Having your meal slowly can ensure you eat less. If you are aware of the eating habits of the French, you will realise that most of their meals consist of pastas, wine & cheese. Then how do these people stay so slim? The answer could lie in the fact that they eat small portions of these foods.

But how to you feel full by eating smaller servings? By eating your food slowly & chewing it well of course!

Our body is designed in a way that our stomach sends the message to the brain via neurotransmitters only 20 minutes after it is full. Which means you may be quite full much before you realise it. As a result, you may have eaten too much which will make you feel overfull later.

If you are trying to lose weight & cannot seem to get a hold on your appetite, start your meal with thick vegetable soup followed by a large helping of salad. Increasing your vegetable servings in this form helps you feel fuller due to the fibre intake. It also makes you chew the food more so that, by the time you reach the main course, you eat lesser portions.

Eating high fibre food like salad & fruit is not just good for your waistline, but also a great exercise to help your teeth & gums remain healthy!

Choose more of whole foods over processed foods. Take out some time from your schedule for your meals. Don't gulp it down. Don't work at the computer while eating your food. Another major culprit is the television -- switch it off at mealtimes.

Instead, eat your food slowly, preferably in the company of family and/ or friends. Besides learning to really appreciate your food, you'll find you've notched on several health benefits as well!
Don't gobble up your food, not going to make you feel full :p

Epul

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Chewing 32 times!? man that is a lot! Maybe i'll do 20 times but definitely not 32 times, if i do that, it is gonna take forever to finish my food.....

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I usually chew less than that. I like my stomach to work just as hard as my teeth. :D
But i'm usually fuller if i eat faster, dunno why. must be something wrong with me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.