Help re-framing this... | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Help re-framing this...

Vato Loco!

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
the panels are not aligned with each other. So when I tilt the page to align the top 3 panels, the middle and bottom panels do not align as well. So while the frames on top are done in anti anti alias, the middle and bottom panels are in anti alias, and vice versa. So I was wondering if there was a way of getting the panels to align with themselves so that I could make all the strait frames crisp.

This is the raw:

And this is my clean:

Note: I'm not close to being done, my clean is just to try and show what I'm asking about.

This is also the test for the OPHQST team so I'm trying to clean it as best I can.

Allashandra

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well that is the thing... If you find page that you can fix the borders on with just rotating consider your lucky. So what usually happens is you actually "reframe" the borders by drawing new borders and erasing the old ones. I have a tutorial on how to this here. The trick is to rotate it to best effect so that you lose the least amount of pixels when you redraw the borders. But I don't know if that is how OPHQST wants them done. I havn't read there test guidelines.

Vato Loco!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Allashandra said:
Well that is the thing... If you find page that you can fix the borders on with just rotating consider your lucky. So what usually happens is you actually "reframe" the borders by drawing new borders and erasing the old ones. I have a tutorial on how to this here. The trick is to rotate it to best effect so that you lose the least amount of pixels when you redraw the borders. But I don't know if that is how OPHQST wants them done. I havn't read there test guidelines.
Well, I have been using your tutorial to do my frames, I used it on the Cleaning basics challenge. And so, now I rotate the page, to get all the horizontal lines strait, then I re-draw using the pencil tool and the shift key, like your tut says. However, with this page, the panels are not parallel with each other, so if the top three are strait then the middle and bottom panels are slightly crooked, making the re-drawing a bad idea with the pencil, and I am forced to use a line tool with anti alias on so the borders won't be jagged.

The reason I asked this question was to see if there was a way to get all the strait borders nice and crisp even though this problems exists, because OPHQST were able to do so in their example of this page. I was wondering if there was something I could do in order to get the same effect.

here's their example clean.

Allashandra

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok I think I see what you are getting at. The panels almost never fully line up in perfect lines for all the panels. What most groups who redo the borders do is redraw the panels in a way that "makes" them line up. In other words they draw the new border through some of the actual pixels in the panels. When you are talking about a 2 px border and if the page is rotated well enough you shouldn't end up losing very much of the image at all. I would say that is most likly what OPHQST did as well. But maybe they can answer that question better than I can.

Vato Loco!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ahhh... Ok, thanks. I'll have to try it out when I get some free time (college is brining me down :()