Discussion - Hiatus X Hiatus | Page 26 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Hiatus X Hiatus

hokageji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
For those reading this manga for years like me, the trend suggests its not gonna be out for a year atleast. THe last run was the longest in between a hiatus, this one was the shortest... nevertheless, you wont see him before may 2015.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Don't break my heart, my breaky breaky heart....

I am not sure whether 'back pain' is the actual reason for his absence.

I am not sure whether it is true, but i once heard that psychological illness is stigmatised in Japan and usually you use other illnesses as a euphemism for it.
could be a possibility that he struggles with depression, it would explain a lot about the other hiatusses, too.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Just wanted to share this, it's an old reply from N. Gaiman to a Martin's fan complaint (sorry it's very long but because of the similarities with Togashi case, and because it's a comic writer perspective, hope it helps people to be more lenient):

Complaint said:
Hi Neil,

I've recently subscribed to George RR Martin's blog (http://grrm.livejournal.com/) in the hopes of getting some inside information regarding when the next "Song of Ice and Fire" book is due to be released. I love the series but since subscribing to the blog I've become increasingly frustrated with Martin's lack of communication on the next novel's publication date. In fact, it's almost as though he is doing everything in his power to avoid working on his latest novel. Which poses a few questions:

1. With blogs and twitter and other forms of social media do you think the audience has too much input when it comes to scrutinising the actions of an artist? If you had announced a new book two years ago and were yet to deliver do you think avoiding the topic on your blog would lead readers to believe you were being "slack"? By blogging about your work and life do you have more of a responsibility to deliver on your commitments?

2. When writing a series of books, like Martin is with "A Song of Ice and Fire" what responsibility does he have to finish the story? Is it unrealistic to think that by not writing the next chapter Martin is letting me down, even though if and when the book gets written is completely up to him?

Would be very interested in your insight.

Cheers

G.
Neil's reply said:
My opinion....

1) No.

2) Yes, it's unrealistic of you to think George is "letting you down".

Look, this may not be palatable, Gareth, and I keep trying to come up with a better way to put it, but the simplicity of things, at least from my perspective is this:

George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.

This is a useful thing to know, perhaps a useful thing to point out when you find yourself thinking that possibly George is, indeed, your bitch, and should be out there typing what you want to read right now.

People are not machines. Writers and artists aren't machines.

You're complaining about George doing other things than writing the books you want to read as if your buying the first book in the series was a contract with him: that you would pay over your ten dollars, and George for his part would spend every waking hour until the series was done, writing the rest of the books for you.

No such contract existed. You were paying your ten dollars for the book you were reading, and I assume that you enjoyed it because you want to know what happens next.

It seems to me that the biggest problem with series books is that either readers complain that the books used to be good but that somewhere in the effort to get out a book every year the quality has fallen off, or they complain that the books, although maintaining quality, aren't coming out on time.

Both of these things make me glad that I am not currently writing a series, and make me even gladder that the decade that I did write series things, in Sandman, I was young, driven, a borderline workaholic, and very fortunate. (and even then, towards the end, I was taking five weeks to write a monthly comic, with all the knock-on problems in deadlines that you would expect from that).

For me, I would rather read a good book, from a contented author. I don't really care what it takes to produce that.

Some writers need a while to charge their batteries, and then write their books very rapidly. Some writers write a page or so every day, rain or shine. Some writers run out of steam, and need to do whatever it is they happen to do until they're ready to write again. Sometimes writers haven't quite got the next book in a series ready in their heads, but they have something else all ready instead, so they write the thing that's ready to go, prompting cries of outrage from people who want to know why the author could possibly write Book X while the fans were waiting for Book Y.

I remember hearing an upset comics editor telling a roomful of other editors about a comics artist who had taken a few weeks off to paint his house. The editor pointed out, repeatedly, that for the money the artist would have been paid for those weeks' work he could easily have afforded to hire someone to paint his house, and made money too. And I thought, but did not say, “But what if he wanted to paint his house?”

I blew a deadline recently. Terminally blew it. First time in 25 years I've sighed and said, “I can't do this, and you won't get your story.” It was already late, I was under a bunch of deadline pressure, my father died, and suddenly the story, too, was dead on the page. I liked the voice it was in, but it wasn't working, and eventually, rather than drive the editors and publishers mad waiting for a story that wasn't going to come, I gave up on it and apologised, worried that I could no longer write fiction.

I turned my attention to the next deadline waiting – a script. It flowed easily and delightfully, was the most fun I've had writing anything in ages, all the characters did exactly what I had hoped they would do, and the story was better than I had dared to hope.

Sometimes it happens like that. You don't choose what will work. You simply do the best you can each time. And you try to do what you can to increase the likelihood that good art will be created.

And sometimes, and it's as true of authors as it is of readers, you have a life. People in your world get sick or die. You fall in love, or out of love. You move house. Your aunt comes to stay. You agreed to give a talk half-way around the world five years ago, and suddenly you realise that that talk is due now. Your last book comes out and the critics vociferously hated it and now you simply don't feel like writing another. Your cat learns to levitate and the matter must be properly documented and investigated. There are deer in the apple orchard. A thunderstorm fries your hard disk and fries the backup drive as well...

And life is a good thing for a writer. It's where we get our raw material, for a start. We quite like to stop and watch it.

The economics of scale for a writer mean that very few of us can afford to write 5,000 page books and then break them up and publish them annually once they are done. So writers with huge stories, or ones that, as Sandman did, grow in the telling, are going to write them and have them published as they go along.

And if you are waiting for a new book in a long ongoing series, whether from George or from Pat Rothfuss or from someone else...

Wait. Read the original book again. Read something else. Get on with your life. Hope that the author is writing the book you want to read, and not dying, or something equally as dramatic. And if he paints the house, that's fine.

And Gareth, in the future, when you see other people complaining that George R.R. Martin has been spotted doing something other than writing the book they are waiting for, explain to them, more politely than I did the first time, the simple and unanswerable truth: George R. R. Martin is not working for you.

Hope that helps.

Source : http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

Buggy

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Andorra
When you read 10 different manga, and 9 of them are out constantly for years and make an occasional 1-week break, but 1 of them is constantly on hiatus for years and publishes an occasional few chapters, the problem is quite obvious and it's very easy to see why people are so frustrated, and rightfully so.

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
When you read 10 different manga, and 9 of them are out constantly for years and make an occasional 1-week break, but 1 of them is constantly on hiatus for years and publishes an occasional few chapters, the problem is quite obvious and it's very easy to see why people are so frustrated, and rightfully so.
More and less, sometimes I just wish some authors make a larger break for the story no to suck hard.

Like Naruto.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Yeah but being frustrated and endlessly complaining about the breaks are two different things. It's not going to make him come back faster.

Is it even possible to be a fan and not be even a little frustrated by hiatus announcements? I don't think so.

Federicoxxx

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
wonder... where it will be the manga...now ,

if it wasnt ..for the hiatus

probably..everyone fighting inside..the whales?

Last edited:

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Gaiman wrote down my exact thoughts.

There is no forcing someone to work, exspecially in a creative sector.

If Togashi has reasons for not working on the manga then noone can make him do it.
Possibly Togashi will face consequences (but so far, he doesnt), but that's his thing.

Why would an artist have to 'respect the audience' anyway?

The deal is that he creates something and people who want to buy it pay him for that (indirectly).
And that's it.

As i said numerous times, if Togashi would not care for his work he would not dish out quality chapters like that. He either cannot or does not want to work more at the moment, and what good would it do if he would force himself to do so?

Even if he wanted to play dragon quest all day (and let's face it, that's not reality, he is a family father in his 40s he has better stuff to do) then that would be equally fine.
You can be sad all you want (and god knows i am sad too) about his absense, but there is no entitlement to even information.
The only entitlement is about whether you want to keep on reading or not.

Also, I do not see the point of 'other mangaka dish out more chapters'.

It is nice if other mangakas can do that (even tho it is not like even 10% of them produce stuff as good as hxh), but if togashi cannot do that, what does it help?

goodyfresh

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't break my heart, my breaky breaky heart....

I am not sure whether 'back pain' is the actual reason for his absence.

I am not sure whether it is true, but i once heard that psychological illness is stigmatised in Japan and usually you use other illnesses as a euphemism for it.
could be a possibility that he struggles with depression, it would explain a lot about the other hiatusses, too.
You know I never considered this but it definitely sounds plausible to me. I hope Togashi isn't struggling with depression. But honestly considering the general tone of his series (YYH and H x H) compared to most other Shounen manga out there, I would not be surprised at all if the guy was depressed and had a super-bleak outlook on life :-/

Word on the streets is that severe depression is Kentaro Miura's problem that causes him to take so many hiatuses from Berserk, btw. Anyone who has ever read Berserk would NOT be surprised by the idea that the guy who writes it is depressed. . .

BurnSchulz

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Hunter x Hunter Chapter 349 Discussion/ 350 Predictions

Lets face it. HxH is dead!
It will never ever going to come back wither properly every week releases.
I lost almost every hope...

Txapeldun

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
The official pesimistic thread

Hello eveyone!
since this hiatus has been called very unbearable, I hereby create this whining corner, in order to keep the rest of the threads free of comments such as the following:

- Togashi is gonna die
- I am gonna die before Togashi ends HxH
- Another artist should take over HxH
- HxH is dead and never continuing
- Togashi is a slacker and should retake his work even risking his health because I want HxH to be weekly

BurnSchulz

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: The official pesimistic thread

Togashi makes such awesome work.
WHEN HE DOES!

I loved to see all the chapters which came out scribbled in the Shonen Jump Releases to be redrawn for the Volume releases - except for 337.

But... i just dont understand why he isnt able to work properly.
He needs to make an open letter to all the fans and explain why and/or apologize to us.
It would mean so much to me to see that he at least cares a little about his fans.

Until then i think HxH is pretty much dead.
It will continue, somewhen, but the odds are >100% that it will only for a few chapters and then being in hiatus again.

Txapeldun

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

But... i just dont understand why he isnt able to work properly.
He needs to make an open letter to all the fans and explain why and/or apologize to us.
It would mean so much to me to see that he at least cares a little about his fans.

Until then i think HxH is pretty much dead.
It will continue, somewhen, but the odds are >100% that it will only for a few chapters and then being in hiatus again.
Togashi's always been a man with a poor health who suffered from severe stress when he was serializing Yuyu Hakusho. After that, he decided to do things his way, and the proof is Level E, which was serialized in a discontinued way (he published scarcely)

Firstly.
Back when HxH started, we always took weeks off, (everyone please recheck this http://comipress.com/article/2007/02/11/1492) and even when he clearly was in no condition to write, he still did what he could (The scribbles back in GI, which were corrected)

After chapter 260, he took his first major hiatus, and started serializing only for 10 chapters. After the hiatus which began in the 290th chapter (Netero vs Meruem), he stayed for 20 weeks, and then for 30 the next one (Which by the way was the longest HxH was without breaks ever)

When Togashi retook the series earlier this year, he went back to his old schedule. (Taking little breaks, but no big hiatuses) Then he got surgery. Bad luck.

Secondly, Togashi "doesn't have to" anything. We aren't his boss. Buying a tankobon doesn't make anyone Togashi's boss nor does it gives us the right to order him to resume.

Sure, we can complain, we can hate him, and we can call him names. But there's no profit to be done. It's not like he would read it or he would care, anyway.

Captain Sicarius

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

I really hope it doesn't end abruptly like yu yu hakusho did imo, hxh feels like it can have ten times the amount of depth yu yu had. It might even end on like episode 400 or something, and I'm hoping for a manga with 800+ chapters with time skips and everything I hope hxh is his baby.

If it gets to this point I really hope he pass his work forward to someone willing to draw each and every week...

BurnSchulz

Reaction score
Country
Germany

Sure, we can complain, we can hate him, and we can call him names. But there's no profit to be done. It's not like he would read it or he would care, anyway.
I already know about all his health-issue stuff. Its just like.. well.. there is not much official stuff coming to the outside of japan.
Sure we will eventually know about it sooner or later, like for now he simply has "Back Pain Issues", but we dont know details.
Thats what i dont understand.
Why isnt he caring about his fans as much as an Oda does?

I mean i dont want to be unfair, but it would be much easier to accept when he would at least contact his fans and show that he cares.
For me i would mean really much. We, outside of Japan, really dont have much chances to get informations about that.
And there are lots of people who spread bullshit around the globe. Especially for togashi who is known for being addicted to Dragon Quest Monsters.
I read a lot of comments bashing him because he is Lazy or just needs to go to rehab to get down from his Addiction. But THAT is unfair.

I keep my opinion that it would be much easier to accept for everyone when we have at least some words from Togashi himself explaining what is wrong and if it will be worth waiting.
As it is now i feel like either he doesnt care or the publisher doesnt want us to know about. I dont know.

Txapeldun

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I already know about all his health-issue stuff. Its just like.. well.. there is not much official stuff coming to the outside of japan.
Sure we will eventually know about it sooner or later, like for now he simply has "Back Pain Issues", but we dont know details.
Thats what i dont understand.
Why isnt he caring about his fans as much as an Oda does?

I mean i dont want to be unfair, but it would be much easier to accept when he would at least contact his fans and show that he cares.
For me i would mean really much. We, outside of Japan, really dont have much chances to get informations about that.
And there are lots of people who spread bullshit around the globe. Especially for togashi who is known for being addicted to Dragon Quest Monsters.
I read a lot of comments bashing him because he is Lazy or just needs to go to rehab to get down from his Addiction. But THAT is unfair.

I keep my opinion that it would be much easier to accept for everyone when we have at least some words from Togashi himself explaining what is wrong and if it will be worth waiting.
As it is now i feel like either he doesnt care or the publisher doesnt want us to know about. I dont know.

Actually he does send messages.

http://imgur.com/593FAek

We got this before one of the hiatus in a comment in the ToC, and sometimes he apologizes in those comment.
I think he does what he cans.

In the backcover of some tankobons he also said that "It was the best he could do" or something like that (Chimera ant arc)

Shueisha also tells us politely to wait. So there's no secrecy.
http://readms.com/r/hunter_x_hunter/X/2524/1

And well, about the people spreading bullshit, they feed on our despair. Trolls disappear if ignored. We're lucky there's noone like that in this forums.

Kid Chameleone

Reaction score
Country
Canada

I like this thread... Good...Good

Last edited by a moderator:

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
[mod="Demonspeed"]Posts moved.

You can be pessimistic here too.[/mod]

bonifide

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it so bad for him to get a artist while he does the story or will that be even more stressful? Reason I'm asking i read a lot of korean webtoons they be in color but almost all of them got an artist and author and not just one person doing both.