Discussion - Hiro Mashima's Future Plans | Page 7 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Hiro Mashima's Future Plans

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sorry... I literally bursted out when I found in Kodansha's Twitter that Hiro is "searching" for love in his next work. :( Like... :jawdrop
Please tell me it's a Josie! :redface

Dunno1978

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
WTF?! Josei?! NANDATO?!

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
No, seriously, where are you going with these posts?
We all know he wants to draw the love making but can't with his current magazine but if he switched to a Josei one then he could draw all the soft-core he wants. Although, after that tentacle scene with Yukino he may just switch to hard-core crazy ******.

Dunno1978

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
oh... okay.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
He can write Seinen's.

Seinen's like Tokyo Ghoul and Parasyte have beautiful love making scenes.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
He can write Seinen's.

Seinen's like Tokyo Ghoul and Parasyte have beautiful love making scenes.
That is true. The rumours are his next story will be a romance so it could be seinen if it's like Ah my Goddess. Although, most romance would be josei/shojo.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
That is true. The rumours are his next story will be a romance so it could be seinen if it's like Ah my Goddess. Although, most romance would be josei/shojo.
Even though he says romance I doubt it will be the main focus.Something like Rave where romance was visibly present but there was a main plot also.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Even though he says romance I doubt it will be the main focus.Something like Rave where romance was visibly present but there was a main plot also.
This is trollshima we are taking about. He could have zero romance in his next one and is just teasing us.

strikefreedom

Reaction score
Country
France
To choose I prefer that it stays in the shonen with romance rather than pure seinen which I think is not too his style.

Otherwise yes a josei will go i think.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Sick today so I will try to keep it short

Mashima most probably will write Shounen again

But if he does write a Shounen I hope he writes a Shounen like Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure.

Now you may wonder why I keep harping on Jo Jo.Because it is an icon,a life in Manga history.One of the best series that continued since the previous century.

I will post Trailers of Jo Jo here

*warning spoilers ahead in the trailers

Even though they S1 is the best here it is the quite different.The quality becomes even better in coming seasons

Again Spoilers ahead in the trailer.

GL_Nova

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with the shounen. I already made my bid for magical girls, but please not anything like JoJo. I'm sorry, but I'm among the many people who think the series is horrible. I'm willing to look past the lackluster ending of FT, but lets hope he stays as far from that as possible.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
I agree with the shounen. I already made my bid for magical girls, but please not anything like JoJo. I'm sorry, but I'm among the many people who think the series is horrible. I'm willing to look past the lackluster ending of FT, but lets hope he stays as far from that as possible.
I respect your opinion but why do you think Jo Jo is bad?

Jo Jo manga has been continuing since 1987 has over 100 million copies in print, making it one of the best-selling manga series in history, and has spawned a large media franchise that includes several novelizations and video games, action figures, a jewelry line, and even snack foods.

And Fairy Tail even in it's peak could never reach this level

And why Mashima I feel should write similar to Jo Jo

IT’S MANY SHOWS IN ONE
As in, literally. This is a generational saga about a whole dynasty of martial artists. As such, each major arc stars a different hero, in a different era…

The first, “Phantom Blood,” takes place in Victorian England and centers on the straight arrow, Jonathan Joestar, and his Dickensian feud with his adopted brother–the vampire, Dio.

Then, “Battle Tendency” features Jonathan’s hot-headed grandson, Joseph, who must save Earth from the Pillar Men, ancient, godlike warlords the re-awakened during a secret Nazi experiment.

And “Stardust Crusaders” starts in 1980s Japan, when Joseph’s anti-social grandson, Jotaro must battle an endless gauntlet of international villains to rescue his mother from a supernatural curse.

At any moment, one of these heroes could die horribly! And some do, in fact. The show keeps you on your toes at all times, and regularly switches its vibe up (as all these Joestars have markedly different personalities). While certain themes stay constant, each arc definitely feels like its own beast.

#2 – DESPICABLE VILLAINS (NAMED AFTER ROCK STARS)
Araki draws on bewildering breadth of Western pop culture. One plot plays like an anime version of Dracula. Another features a legion of villains fashioned after “video nasties” like Videodrome and the Blob. Yet another features enough Tarot symbolism to make Alejandro Jodorowsky blush. And pretty much every major character is named for some rock or pop act. If the notion of The Cars, Terrence Trent D’Arby and the J. Geils Band as cold-blooded, murderous super-villains makes you snicker, you’ll be cracking up. Every. Single. Episode.

The references get even more amusing in the American dub, as certain villains must be cleverly renamed due to thorny copyright issues. Like, when the evil brothers Oingo and Boingo become Zenyatta and Mondatta (after the marginally-more-obscure Police album). Playing this name game, with deep cuts getting progressively more obscure, is honestly a good chunk of the fun.

Though Jojo’s lampoons classic tough guy anime like Fist of the North Star, Araki follows the edicts of gripping storytelling better than many ostensibly-more-serious adventure serials. That is, he’s an absolute sadist to his heroes. Where other anime may use “moral complexity” as an excuse for having wet noodle antagonists, this show routinely pits the Joestars against ruthless, remorseless killers.

And Jojo’s dials up with the rapidity of a pinball. A given episode may start as a cheeky farce where, say, a Joestar gets magnetized and must then keep fending off the metal junk that’s flying at him. In a moment, though, the stakes will jackknife. Larger machines will fly, until our hero must desperately dodge frighteningly-large vehicles in a visceral flight for survival. Do or die, the only way he’s walking away is if he find the bad guy, and crushes him to death.

No exaggeration, for all its laughs, Jojo’s has just as many scenes of riveting, edge-of-your-seat tension.

#3 – POP CULTURE HISTORY
Even though the manga has been a superlative success since the 80s, it didn’t get a proper anime adaptation until just recently. And since this is a faithful adaptation, it serves as a fascinating time capsule. You can clearly chart how many other titles paid homage to Jojo’s later–or ripped it off wholesale.

To focus on video games alone… there are blatant similarities between Street Fighter II‘s Guile and the evil military man, von Stroheim. Street Fighter Alphaalum Rose is also directly modeled off of the heroine, Lisa Lisa. Likewise, Ogre from Tekken and Benimaru from King of Fighters bear more than passing resemblances to warriors Kars and Polnareff. And that’s only naming a few!

Also, since Jojo’s predates Dragon Ball‘s shift to Dragon Ball Z by a few years, it captures a fascinating moment in the evolution of manga when action-adventure strips found a very particular balance of comedy and drama. If DBZ eventually came to acknowledge the absurdity of its tropes, and then continued to celebrate them, Jojo’s grabbed its cake and ate it too, from the very onset. Newer shonen juggernauts like One Piece and Fullmetal influenct feel free to shift tones whenever it suits them because of the precedent Jojo’s set.

And the craziest part? For a story plotted in the 80s, Jojo’s still feels fresher than most contemporary anime. Araki is a creative genius who’s always been several decades ahead of his competition.
Jo Jo doesn't have any faults by which Ft suffered especially in it's last arc.

Mind it Hiro too might have been influenced by Jo Jo in Fairy Tail

Age Seal and Zeref's neo Eclipse plan seems to have come from Jo Jo.

And our beloved forum has lot of Jo Jo fans like @WithYouInSpirit and @Aizen

Aizen do you think Hiro should write a series of Shounen similar to Jo Jo?

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
JJBA is a very high tier manga. While it is a Seinen now for the majority of its serialization it has been a Shounen. It's just amazing. However, knowing Hiro as an author, I just don't see him doing any good with something similar to Jojo's. Rave and Fairy Tail are very much unique to Jojos. I'm sure if Hiro did focus more on a solid story than that feel good feeling he would make something amazing though.

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I respect your opinion but why do you think Jo Jo is bad?

Jo Jo manga has been continuing since 1987 has over 100 million copies in print, making it one of the best-selling manga series in history, and has spawned a large media franchise that includes several novelizations and video games, action figures, a jewelry line, and even snack foods.

And Fairy Tail even in it's peak could never reach this level

And why Mashima I feel should write similar to Jo Jo

IT’S MANY SHOWS IN ONE
As in, literally. This is a generational saga about a whole dynasty of martial artists. As such, each major arc stars a different hero, in a different era…

The first, “Phantom Blood,” takes place in Victorian England and centers on the straight arrow, Jonathan Joestar, and his Dickensian feud with his adopted brother–the vampire, Dio.

Then, “Battle Tendency” features Jonathan’s hot-headed grandson, Joseph, who must save Earth from the Pillar Men, ancient, godlike warlords the re-awakened during a secret Nazi experiment.

And “Stardust Crusaders” starts in 1980s Japan, when Joseph’s anti-social grandson, Jotaro must battle an endless gauntlet of international villains to rescue his mother from a supernatural curse.

At any moment, one of these heroes could die horribly! And some do, in fact. The show keeps you on your toes at all times, and regularly switches its vibe up (as all these Joestars have markedly different personalities). While certain themes stay constant, each arc definitely feels like its own beast.

#2 – DESPICABLE VILLAINS (NAMED AFTER ROCK STARS)
Araki draws on bewildering breadth of Western pop culture. One plot plays like an anime version of Dracula. Another features a legion of villains fashioned after “video nasties” like Videodrome and the Blob. Yet another features enough Tarot symbolism to make Alejandro Jodorowsky blush. And pretty much every major character is named for some rock or pop act. If the notion of The Cars, Terrence Trent D’Arby and the J. Geils Band as cold-blooded, murderous super-villains makes you snicker, you’ll be cracking up. Every. Single. Episode.

The references get even more amusing in the American dub, as certain villains must be cleverly renamed due to thorny copyright issues. Like, when the evil brothers Oingo and Boingo become Zenyatta and Mondatta (after the marginally-more-obscure Police album). Playing this name game, with deep cuts getting progressively more obscure, is honestly a good chunk of the fun.

Though Jojo’s lampoons classic tough guy anime like Fist of the North Star, Araki follows the edicts of gripping storytelling better than many ostensibly-more-serious adventure serials. That is, he’s an absolute sadist to his heroes. Where other anime may use “moral complexity” as an excuse for having wet noodle antagonists, this show routinely pits the Joestars against ruthless, remorseless killers.

And Jojo’s dials up with the rapidity of a pinball. A given episode may start as a cheeky farce where, say, a Joestar gets magnetized and must then keep fending off the metal junk that’s flying at him. In a moment, though, the stakes will jackknife. Larger machines will fly, until our hero must desperately dodge frighteningly-large vehicles in a visceral flight for survival. Do or die, the only way he’s walking away is if he find the bad guy, and crushes him to death.

No exaggeration, for all its laughs, Jojo’s has just as many scenes of riveting, edge-of-your-seat tension.

#3 – POP CULTURE HISTORY
Even though the manga has been a superlative success since the 80s, it didn’t get a proper anime adaptation until just recently. And since this is a faithful adaptation, it serves as a fascinating time capsule. You can clearly chart how many other titles paid homage to Jojo’s later–or ripped it off wholesale.

To focus on video games alone… there are blatant similarities between Street Fighter II‘s Guile and the evil military man, von Stroheim. Street Fighter Alphaalum Rose is also directly modeled off of the heroine, Lisa Lisa. Likewise, Ogre from Tekken and Benimaru from King of Fighters bear more than passing resemblances to warriors Kars and Polnareff. And that’s only naming a few!

Also, since Jojo’s predates Dragon Ball‘s shift to Dragon Ball Z by a few years, it captures a fascinating moment in the evolution of manga when action-adventure strips found a very particular balance of comedy and drama. If DBZ eventually came to acknowledge the absurdity of its tropes, and then continued to celebrate them, Jojo’s grabbed its cake and ate it too, from the very onset. Newer shonen juggernauts like One Piece and Fullmetal influenct feel free to shift tones whenever it suits them because of the precedent Jojo’s set.

And the craziest part? For a story plotted in the 80s, Jojo’s still feels fresher than most contemporary anime. Araki is a creative genius who’s always been several decades ahead of his competition.
Jo Jo doesn't have any faults by which Ft suffered especially in it's last arc.

Mind it Hiro too might have been influenced by Jo Jo in Fairy Tail

Age Seal and Zeref's neo Eclipse plan seems to have come from Jo Jo.

And our beloved forum has lot of Jo Jo fans like @WithYouInSpirit and @Aizen

Aizen do you think Hiro should write a series of Shounen similar to Jo Jo?
Well, in all honesty, I don't think Hiro really could write something like Jojo's completely.
One of the reasons for that is that part of Jojo's appeal is that it is somewhat retro. It started serializing in 1987 and was one of the first series to introduce the concept of unique powers for each character. Back then you really only had martial arts series and such. Its art style is very distinctive as well, and some outright don't try it because of that, which is a real shame imo. I find it very over the top and well in tone for what Jojo's is.

The other major reason is that Jojo's does work off a somewhat formulaic style. Most series this is considered a bad thing, and some might think the same for Jojo's, but I actually think it works fine because of how Araki works with it. It is a monster of the week type style, but because of the creativity and diversity that Araki brings, it is always very fresh. A lot of series would really struggle to do that since from what I have seen, most Shonen don't usually get to that level of craziness that Jojo's does. It would likely just get repetitive, and in many ways, a lot of Shonen do have that issue already since they intro one Villain after another with ever-increasing stakes.

I think Hiro would do best just working on a shorter series, where planning is not something he has to worry about as much. He seems very reluctant to do so, and while many authors don't do so either (or not very much), I feel like Hiro really struggled with that over time.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Well, in all honesty, I don't think Hiro really could write something like Jojo's completely.
One of the reasons for that is that part of Jojo's appeal is that it is somewhat retro. It started serializing in 1987 and was one of the first series to introduce the concept of unique powers for each character. Back then you really only had martial arts series and such. Its art style is very distinctive as well, and some outright don't try it because of that, which is a real shame imo. I find it very over the top and well in tone for what Jojo's is.

The other major reason is that Jojo's does work off a somewhat formulaic style. Most series this is considered a bad thing, and some might think the same for Jojo's, but I actually think it works fine because of how Araki works with it. It is a monster of the week type style, but because of the creativity and diversity that Araki brings, it is always very fresh. A lot of series would really struggle to do that since from what I have seen, most Shonen don't usually get to that level of craziness that Jojo's does. It would likely just get repetitive, and in many ways, a lot of Shonen do have that issue already since they intro one Villain after another with ever-increasing stakes.

I think Hiro would do best just working on a shorter series, where planning is not something he has to worry about as much. He seems very reluctant to do so, and while many authors don't do so either (or not very much), I feel like Hiro really struggled with that over time.
Well I am not saying he should ditto copy Araki.But he can imbibe these in the future series

-A plot somewhat similar to Jo Jo with magic

-Very little fan service and total absence of pof.

-There should be threat.The most imp problem with the last arc was that there was no threat.Whatever Alvarez did,we always knew Fairy Tail will be safe

-And good villains like in Jo Jo who will rouse our hatred.

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I am not saying he should ditto copy Araki.But he can imbibe these in the future series

-A plot somewhat similar to Jo Jo with magic

-Very little fan service and total absence of pof.

-There should be threat.The most imp problem with the last arc was that there was no threat.Whatever Alvarez did,we always knew Fairy Tail will be safe

-And good villains like in Jo Jo who will rouse our hatred.
I agree with you on most of those points if you mean just taking the good things Jojo's does and applying it to the next work he does. I was just making the point that some are unique enough that you don't really see them done that way in series almost ever, or at least not to that level of quality, so it would be VERY difficult for Hiro to do so.
However, if we are talking about will he do some of that...I am not so sure I buy he will. Most Shonen have a pretty decent dose of POF, and Hiro seemed to only increase the fanservice/ecchi part of FT over time. The threat level though is something he REALLY should fix in his next series, assuming it is similar in some aspects. Like you said the final arc had almost none, and I think he had some trouble with that in general since he was very reluctant to kill off/significantly damage any characters, despite having opportunities to do so.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
I agree with you on most of those points if you mean just taking the good things Jojo's does and applying it to the next work he does. I was just making the point that some are unique enough that you don't really see them done that way in series almost ever, or at least not to that level of quality, so it would be VERY difficult for Hiro to do so.
However, if we are talking about will he do some of that...I am not so sure I buy he will. Most Shonen have a pretty decent dose of POF, and Hiro seemed to only increase the fanservice/ecchi part of FT over time. The threat level though is something he REALLY should fix in his next series, assuming it is similar in some aspects. Like you said the final arc had almost none, and I think he had some trouble with that in general since he was very reluctant to kill off/significantly damage any characters, despite having opportunities to do so.
Yeah I was saying that.After all it will be a rip off otherwise.

I just hope his next series will be at least like Rave Master and a bit mature in plot with fan service cut to the minimum and pof limited.

If you look at Ft where there is no pof,like for example Natsu vs Erigor or Team Natsu vs Hades or Lucy vs Tartaros it's pretty excellent.

And hopefully he will avoid Fake deaths and one shorting strong villains.

If he just can maintain the atmosphere of Toh or Tartaros arc or Tenrou until the series ends then it will be pretty good.

Hiro has shown that he is a great writer but those faults made his work so much criticised.Hopefully he avoids those.

SleipnirX

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
JJBA is a very high tier manga. While it is a Seinen now for the majority of its serialization it has been a Shounen. It's just amazing. However, knowing Hiro as an author, I just don't see him doing any good with something similar to Jojo's. Rave and Fairy Tail are very much unique to Jojos. I'm sure if Hiro did focus more on a solid story than that feel good feeling he would make something amazing though.
Don’t think storyline has ever realistically been Mashima’s strong suit - where he shines is in creating vibrant and charismatic characters. He seems to work in broad strokes, concepts and feels rather than finer details and complexity which can limit how far he can go with ‘big’ storylines. Compared to other series. I feel there never were really any unexpected reveals, twists or turns in FT, barring possibly Natsu being END which he then never did anything with.