Info - [HOT] Interviews with Kishimoto | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info [HOT] Interviews with Kishimoto

kadoman

Itachi's Hat Maker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Updating the first post to include all of Kishimoto's known interviews:

Kishimoto interview @Jump Festa 2008
This interview was posted by Bochi today at NarutoFan.
She said...

I went to Jump Festa 2008 today and saw Kishi was asked some questions about the manga by Junko (VA Naruto), Noriaki (VA Sasuke), Chie (VA Sakura) and Kazuhiko (VA Kakashi) on the stage.

1. Is Jiraiya dead?
Kishi : He lives..............................in your heart.
Naruto has to be grown up. Shikamaru also needed to be grown up. And Sakura will have to be grown up, too. Lee? Lee doesn't need to be grown up anymore.

2. What's gonna happen next year?
Kishi : Started with Sasuke vs Itachi battle.
I'm gonna write about mainly Sasuke next year. And Kakashi and Sakura, after that. Especially Kakashi. I can't tell yet but a huge event will happen to him.

3. What kind of way of ending do you do with Sasuke vs Itachi battle?
Kishi : I can't tell. But I have kept this waiting to manga readers for a long time. So I'll have to make everyone gets content with it.

4. Describe the color of Sasuke vs Itachi battle.
Kishi : Glossy-Black

5. Describe the color of Kakashi story which you just mentioned about.
Kishi : Dark Blue

6. You said you're gonna write about Sasuke, Kakashi and Sakura. What about Naruto?
Kishi : Naruto has to wait.

7. Are you gonna write the battle of each member of Hebi?
Kishi : Actually I didn't want to. But Shueisha ordered me to do with something about them.

That's all. He didn't say anything about the Akatsuki on the stage.

I also went to BANDAI-NAMCO stage after that. Junko and Noriaki showed up and played Narutimate accel 2 in front of the audience.

Junko choose Naruto and Lee as a support character.
Noriaki choose Sasuke and Deidara as a support character.

Junko won the match. But Noriaki was really kind. He sometimes stopped to wait for Junko to show Ougi.
So many theories are coming to my mind now...

The one where he says he doesn't know what that thing is on Naruto's arm:
http://www.naruto2.com/Information/Interviews/Naruto-Interviews_MasashiKishimoto.aspx

An interview where Kishimoto answers as Kakashi:
http://www.naruto2.com/Information/Interviews/Naruto-Interviews_HatakeKakashi.aspx

Hidden Leaf Q & A – 58 Questions asked to Masashi Kishimoto!
A barrage of questions was fired at Kishimoto-sensei, the original creator of Naruto! We’re now happy to present his answers!

Q. What is the anime that influenced you the most?
A. Akira

Q. As you draw the manga, are you influenced at all by the anime version of Naruto?
A. Absolutely, very much.

Q. Do you have a favourite episode of the Naruto anime?
A. Episodes 17, 19, and 30.

Q. Were you a fan of any of the Japanese voice actors before they were involved with Naruto?
A. Yes, I was a fan of Jyurota Kosugi, who plays Asuma, and Nozomu Sasaki, who plays Hayate.

Q. For which character did you have the most trouble choosing colours?
A. Naruto.

Q. Who is the voice actor that you admire the most?
A. Akio Otsuka.

Q. In regards to the sound design in the anime production, what was most memorable?
A. The series of sounds during Zabuza’s appearance.

Q. Do you watch the anime every week without missing an episode?
A. Of course!

Q. Who would you be most proud to know watches the Naruto anime?
A. Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi.

Q. Please tell us about the top-secret episodes you’ve created with the anime production staff!
A. Oh! I hope we can make some in the future…Right now, there’s nothing to tell (really!).

Q. If you were to do a voice for the anime, which character would you like to perform?
A. Tsunade.

Q. If you were to create an orginal story for the anime, what kind would it be?
A. I’d want to feature a generous robber like Goemon Ishikawa.

Q. Since Naruto has become an anime, has your level of motivation changed?
A. I thought, “I have to work even harder. If I take a break, the story on TV is going to catch up to the manga!” I was sweating!

Q. Which Naruto character is the most fun to draw?
A. Rock Lee.

Q. If you were to become involved in the anime production, what would you like to be in charge of?
A. The original-picture guy.

Q. Who are the scariest people involved in the anime?
A. Tetsuya Nishio and Hirofumi Suzuki (their drawings are so good, it’s scary!).

Q. Do you sing the anime’s opening and ending theme songs at karaoke?
A. I haven’t been to karaoke since the serialization began…eep!

Q. Please tell us your favourite movie, movie actor and actress, and movie director.
A. My favourite movie is The Matrix, my favourite actor and actress are Tom Hanks and Christina Ricci, and my favourite directors are James Cameron and Shinya Tsukamoto.

Q. Who is your favourite painter?
A. Monet.

Q. What is your favourite novel and who is your favourite novelist?
A. My favourite novel is Run, Merosu and my favourite novelist is Shinichi Hoshi.

Q. What are your favourite manga?
A. My favourites are Dragon Ball and Akira.

Q. If you could choose to switch places with a character from Naruto for a day, whom would you choose and why?
A. Naruto. I’d use the Clone Jutsu to finish my work faster!

Q. What kinds of people do you admire?
A. I really admire people who are good at drawing.

Q. What was the biggest crisis of your life so far?
A. When a monkey attacked me.

Q. Is there a Naruto product that you would personally endorse?
A. Bowls!

Q. What will happen in the love lives of Ino, Sakura and Hinata?
A. I hope something happens! Ha! Ha!

Q. Have you ever wanted to apologise to the anime staff for any of your designs?
A. Yes…for Naruto’s design, the chunin vest, the headbands and the pattern of the curse marks.

Q. Who is your favourite musician or band?
A. Oasis

Q. If you could be any person in history, who would you choose to be?
A. John Manjiro (the first Japanese person to travel to the United States in the 1840’s).

Q. What is your most precious treasure?
A. Two sets of animation storyboards from Akira.

Q. If you were to take a character from the Naruto anime and write a spinoff story, which character would you choose and what kind of story would you write?
A. I’d like to write a story just about dogs with Akamaru as the star.

Q. If the earth were about to be destroyed, what would you do?
A. I’d work hard to stop the destruction!

Q. What is your favourite video game?
A. The Zelda series.

Q. If you were reincarnated, what would you want to do in your next life?
A. I’d be a detective.

Q. If there were an earthquake, what would you grab before evacuating?
A. I’d take my licensing paperwork, and my legal signature stamp. Ha!

Q. If you were an athlete, which sport would you play?
A. Baseball.

Q. How do you spend your days off?
A. I watch movies.

Q. What are your favourite and least favourite animals?
A. I love dogs and I hate monkeys.

Q. Do you have a top-secret stamina recipe or something that keeps your energy up like Kiba’s ration pills?
A. Aspara Drink.

Q. Please tell us one manga artist you like.
A. Akira Toriyama.

Q. Ninja Tortoise, Ninja Dog, Nina Toad…what is the next ninja beast you’re planning to create?
A. Ninja cat.

Q. Where do you come up with your ideas?
A. My room.

Q. In your opinion, who is the scariest person in the manga industry?
A. Mr. Torishima (former editor in chief of Weekly Shonen Jump).

Q. What is your most important ninja tool for drawing the manga?
A. Soul

Q. What’s your philosophy for coming up with the characters’ names?
A. I get my inspiration for the names from traditional Japanese style.

Q. When you just can’t come up with any new ideas, what do you do?
A. I get up and move around to refresh myself.

Q. Is there anyone whom you talk to for advice or to work out your ideas for the manga?
A. Mr. Yahagi (my editor) and my younger brother.

Q. Are you friends with any other manga artists?
A. Yes, many.

Q. Who is the most difficult character to draw?
A. Sasuke.

Q. If you were to draw a special, extra story in the manga, who would be the main character (other than Naruto?)
A. Kakashi.

Q. Who is your favourite female character in the series and why?
A. Anko, because of her relationship with Orochimaru…

Q. What is the longest and shortest amount of time it ever took you to complete one chapter?
A. The longest was five days. The shortest was two days. That’s just for the pictures…phew!

Q. How did you react when you found out your work would be made into an anime?
A. Manly tears of joy!

Q. What animal do you wish you could summon?
A. Gamakichi and Gamatatsu (two of the small ninja toads).

Q. If you were a resident of the Leaf Village, what would your occupation be?
A. Movie director.

Q. Is there a real person whom Naruto was modeled after?
A. Not at all.

Q. Which present from your fans did you appreciate the most?
A. All of them.

Q. Which teacher would you like to learn ninjutsu from?
A. Iruka.

Assisted by Ibiki Morino
This interview was conducted by the leader of the Torture and Interrogation Unit. Kishimoto-sensei was reeling!

Has this been posted? Interview was in a magazine published in May 2009, so not that "new"

NC: If you weren't the creator of Naruto and were simply a fan of the manga, which character's poster would be your first choice to put up in your bedroom?

MK: I'd prefer a female character, so maybe Tsunade, and maybe one of Naruto performing the Ninja Centerfold Jutsu. And Gaara....he's one of my favorite characters. (I posted a little about that last night but didn't notice he was talking about posters, not favorite characters.XD)

NC: If you were a ninja, to which village would you belong? And what would your signature jutsu be?

MK: Of course, I would be from Konoha. I'd master the Art of the Shadow Doppelganger Jutsu, so I can shorten the amount of time I spend on drawing.

NC: Would that give you more sleeping time?

MK: Hopefully, because I'm really sleep deprived....

NC: If you were to do a spin-off series that focused on one of the side characters (or a group of side characters) (were they hoping for Akatuski?) , who would it be?

MK: I'm thinking about doing one with the Fourth Hokage as the lead character. He'll be much younger. I intend to draw the Fourth as a child.

NC: In America, your manga is sold in bookstores that don't even carry other manga or comics. So in a way, it has actually changed how some bookshops sell books. How do you feel about that?

MK: I've been in Japan this whole time, so I don't know much about what's happening in America. But I'm really glad that Naruto is getting so much attention. It's a great honor. I think Americans know what's good (laughs).

NC: Which member of the Akatsuki is your favorite to draw?

MK: Hmm, let's see....Tobi. His face is covered on one side and has a hole on the other. He's easy to draw (Laughs).

NC: We know a lot about Naruto, Itachi, Gaara and Kakashi, but does Sakura have dark secrets we don't know about yet?

MK: She's a normal girl, so I haven't given it much thought.

NC: How did you change your drawing style to fit the new characters and storyline of Naruto Part II?

MK: In Part II, I try not to overdo the typical manga style. I don't go for too much deformation and keep the layout of the panels simple in order to make it easier to follow. My drawing style has also shifted from the classic manga look to something a bit more realistic.

NC: Many of the older Konoha Village ninja are dying. How do you feel about the younger ninja taking over the responsibilities for the safety and welfare of the village?

MK: It's the same in manga. There are a lot of great manga artists that I admire, beginning with Osamu Tezuka, Shotaro Ishinomori, Fujio Fujiko, etc. I'm not their blood relative, but they influence me in ways that seem as though they've been passed on through genes and are spreading like a ripple. To inherit a legacy and pass it on...I think that's wonderful. Whatever I've inherited from people in the past or those whom I call my predecessors, I'd like to put into perspective and depict in the manga. I think people can identify with it. At least that's my view.

NC: It makes the story very epic.

MK: For instance, I really love the work of Toriyama-sensei (Dragon Ball) and Otomo-sensei (Akira), and Ghost in the Shell, so you can tell how much they influenced me. In turn, younger artists will be influenced by the manga I draw. Such a world, I think, is really cool. The idea of passing a baton in a relay, so to speak, is something that I hope to portray in manga.

NC: Did you map out the entire plot of Naruto right from the beginning, or do you find yourself making new choices about characters and storylines as you go?

MK: I've already decided on the overall plot, but depending on the flow, I change the direction in which it's going right in the middle of things. Sometimes I just make it up along the way, and other times I do what I orginally intended to do. It's a weekly installment, and I have deadlines. I'm not always able to do everything I wanted to do. My private life and how my hours are spent ultimately will have an influence on the story. That's what it comes down to. Having a new editor affects the story too.

NC: What is the most important thing for you to express in Naruto Part II?

MK: I've always had "bonds" in my mind as the fundamental theme. And since the story is about battles and struggles, I'm inclined to depict the resulting complications and....difficult relationships. Still, the emphasis will be on bonds. I'm going to show each side's perspective. I won't really divide the cast into friends and foes, but I want to portray each group's circumstance in a fair manner. And when they clash, I want to get inside the mindset of the characters. It won't be a feel-good narrative, since the premise is more complicated than your basic good vs. evil, but I'll give it a try.

NC: Do you have any message for your fans in the U.S.?

MK: I have no idea how big Naruto is or how it's perceived in America, yet it's such a joy to hear that a lot of people read it. And I hope you keep on enjoying it. If you read it until the end, I promise that it's going to be worthwhile. So please, don't get bored. Keep going! Thank you very much.
Anyway, this interview is real, pics:

Well people on 2ch have been posting about the Jump Festa stuff, including the Naruto section. It seems to be confirmed as pictures have been posted. Though there is a need of translators to translate it. No trans so far.

P.S Credits to vered from NF

{Note} Some of the parts may just be the fan's opinion/feelings and not of Kishi's.

EDIT: First day script has now been translated properly thanks to Kumanri @ NF
Quote:​
井上さんになんで殺したの?お願いしますよ~って土下座され、キッシーも土下座返ししてふざけ てた後。
で、死んでないとは断定してないけど、最後まで見てもらわないとわからない的な会話からカカシは死んでない かな、と。
カカシは生きてるみたいな言い回しだな岸本さん
ついでにジライヤも死んでなさげに感じた。ただペインになってんだろうな。

最近、よく死んでます的な会話から、いや最後までみてもらわないとわからないんでとか言ってた 。
あ、たしかに。ジライヤはけじめついたみたいなこと言ってましたね。
一部のナルト描けなくなってる発言は悲しかった
絵として描けないってことみたいでした
サスケは特になかったかな。今年は10周年で話が盛り上がっていきますって言ってました。

また明日もレポします。ちなみにキミマロのときのとんでもない影分身のシーンが苦労したからって理由でお気 に入りらしいです。なんか肩の力抜けすぎ岸本さんて感じだなあ。でもそこが岸本さんのいいところなんだよな 。素朴だし。
人は昨年に比べて多かったですね。。さっきのキミマロのシーンの話で言うと、逆にアスマの死でのシカマルの 涙、ガアラ蘇生シーンはあまり思い入れはないとか。涙した俺負け組。。ジライヤは声優になんで死なせたのっ て責められ若干後悔している模様。

もうレポ必要ないかな?
既出覚悟で書いてみる

・カカシの死は明言せず。どうなるかわからない。だから最後まで読んでほしい
・自来也は自分の中でケジメをつけてる。それが42巻の表紙。
 お亡くなりとは言ったが、曖昧に言葉を濁す。
・イタチも自来也同様お亡くなりになっている。
・「何で自来也殺しちゃったんだろう(苦笑)ね、いいキャラだったのに(苦笑)」
・「最近確かにキャラ殺しすぎですよね(笑)」
・キッシー的に頑張った回はナルトvs君麻呂。
 理由は影分身を書くのが大変だったから。
 でも票(アンケ?)は良くなかったらしい。
・色んな蛙を描くのが好き。一部のナルトはもう描けない。蛇はウロコが面倒臭い。
・10周年ということで、集英社を始め、色んな企画が予定されている。
 キッシーもこれまで以上にやる気を出して描くので面白くなるはず。
・「長く続ける気はないんです(笑)
  まぁ毎年言っていますが、佳境なので飛ばしていきたいと思ってます。
  最後までお付き合い下さい」

といった感じ。

流れは
自己紹介
→10周年記念ナルト名シーンベスト10発表
→声優4人が選んだベストシーンをキッシーが当てるクイズ
→名シーン3位以上は確か生アフレコ
(ペインvs自来也、イタチvsサスケ、ナルトvsサスケ)
→岸本に質問とか少し話
→うずまき大巻5巻の表紙公開
→何か宣伝
→それぞれまとめておしまい

こんなんかな

http://p.pita.st/?m=orjpirv2

そういえば、井上さん(カカシ役)が選んだ好きなシーンの、
「カカシの弱点をナルトとサクラが暴く」ってので
「ネーム力なくてごめんなさい」ってキッシー言ってた。
あのカカシがイチャタクの内容聞きたくないから
目をつぶって鈴とられちゃうやつね

あとはカカシ・イタチ登場時の黄色い声援がやばすぎたwww
カカシなんて絵出ただけでwww
ペインに対する
「片や大きな陽動をしながら、影では探索か」
みたい台詞を言ったときは耳やばかったwww

mixiから転載
これって最初は「うずまきなると」のフルネームだった気がするんだが

http://up2.viploader.net/pic/src/viploader879123.jpg

Quote: Good translation by Kumanri
"Why (someone) was killed, please let us know," was put forth to Inoue san as he sat down and Kishi also returned to his seat after making some jokes.

From the conversation, could not conclude whether (Kakashi) is still alive and (the reader) has to read to the end to find out if Kakashi is dead or alive.

Kishimoto san makes it sound like Kakashi is still alive.

He also expressed his sympathy over Jiraiya's death. But he (Jiraiya) probably might turn into Pain.

The conversation moved from the recent mounting character deaths to "you can't tell until you read to the end".
Well, that's true. He made it clear for Jiraiya's case.

I'm sad about the part which he said he couldn't draw one part of the Naruto manga.
I wanted to see the pictures of those stuff he couldn't draw.
Nothing particular about Sasuke. There were loads of topics about the 10th anniversary for this year.

I'll give more reports tomorrow. Also, I like the comment made about the scene showing the incredible Kage Bunshin technique against Kimimaro, being a pain to draw. That sounds like Kishimoto san had strained his back too much. But that's just the thing that makes Kishimoto san great. (Reflects also) his humility/simplicity.

The crowd is much bigger compared to the previous year.... Mention given on the Kimimaro scene as said earlier, but on the other hand, nothing on Shikamaru's tears when Asuma died nor the scene of Gaara's revival. I'm a crying loser... The voice actor/s asked why Jiraiya was killed off and there was a small sign of regret shown on (Kishi's) face.

A report is not needed by now right?
I'll write down what I can remember.

- Kakashi's death is not being addressed clearly. What will happen is not known. Hence it's better to read till the end.
- Jiraiya had drawn the conclusion for himself. This can be seen in Vol 42's front cover. Though it's called "death", it was mentioned in a less direct manner.
- "Why was Jiraiya killed?" <bitter smile>, "He was such a good character." <bitter smile>
- "You've been killing too many characters lately." <laughs>
- The time when Kishimoto drew in the most diligent Kishimoto-style was during Naruto vs Kimimaro. The reason being, the Kagebunshin scene was a huge task to draw. However, (that scene) didn't seem quite well-received according to the popularity voting results.
- He likes to draw all kinds of frogs. He won't be drawing one part of Naruto. Snake scales is troublesome (to draw).
- Shueisha and various companies have plans for the 10th Anniversary. Kishimoto is very inspired thus to draw better so it can be expected that the manga will get more interesting
- "I've no intention to continue this (series) over a long period of time" <laughs> Well, though this is said every year, right now is the best part of the story which I want to bring forth. Do stay tune with the series till the end."

Something like that.

Flow (of the entire event)

Self-introduction
- Revealing the best 10 scenes for Naruto's 10th Anniversary Commemoration
- Quizzing Kishi on the best scenes chosen by 4 of the voice actors
- Showing the raw postrecording of the 3 famous scenes (Pain vs Jiraiya, Itachi vs Sasuke, Naruto vs Sasuke)
- Q & A session with Kishimoto
- Official revealing of the cover of the 5th Uzumaki Daiken (Kumanri: this is like a compilation of the manga volumes into 1 big book)
- Some promotional activities
- Concluding business

Something like that

Come to think of it, Inoue san (Kakashi's voice actor) chose his favourite scene as "Naruto and Sakura exposing Kakashi's weakness"; Kishi said, "I'm bad at guessing, very sorry".
That's the scene where Kakashi closed his eyes because he did not want to hear the details in Icha Icha Tactics, hence the bells were taken from him.

After that, the shriekings that greeted Kakashi and Itachi when they arrived on stage was really terrific. LOL

<omit sentence here, not sure how to explain this... ^_^;>

When Kakashi said, "You use such a big diversionary tactic, but you're actually finding something in secret aren't you?" to Pain, (the response from the floor) blew my ears away. LOL

The last quote (given by Vered which I didn't quote) shows the first time the name "Uzumaki Naruto" written in full in the series.

ジャンプステージ
]■こんな新キャラはいかが?
井上さん、竹内さん、杉山さん、中村さん、小杉さんがそれぞれ事前に描いたイラストを発表

キッシーが前もってキャラを選んで描いたものを発表
竹内さんの木の葉の歌姫
杉山さんの海坊主みたいなオバケ(笑)
キッシー絵だとまともに見える不思議ww

■木の葉の名脇役は誰だ!?
1はたけカカシ
2大蛇丸(くじらさんメッセージ)
3綱手(ゲスト勝生さん)
4自来也
5うちはイタチ
6うちはマダラ
7アスマ・シカマル(ゲスト小杉さん)
8ヤマト
9我愛羅
10うみのイルカ

申し訳ない
4~7順番が全然違うかもしれん
誰か訂正よろしく

NARUTOがこの先どれだけ続くか分からないから何とも言えないが、今後、アスマの子供(性別は決めてい ない)が生まれたりシカマルが活躍したりするかも

綱手(対ペイン?)でしわしわの本来の姿を明かすか悩んでいる
ビジュアル的に引かれると思うから多分描かない

来年10周年なので色々やると思います、気合い入れて描くのでこれからもNARUTOをよろし くお願いしま す byキッシー
いつも通りのキッシーでしたw
with translation mistakes said:
■こんな新キャラはいかが?
What is the new character like?

井上さん、竹内さん、杉山さん、中村さん、小杉さんがそれぞれ事前に描いたイラストを発表
Inoue san's (Kakashi's VA), Takeuchi san's (Naruto's VA), Sugiyama san's (Sasuke's VA), Nakamura san's (Sakura's VA), and Kosugi san's (Asuma's VA) past portrayals of their respective characters were shown during Jump Fest in the form of illustrations.

キッシーが前もってキャラを選んで描いたものを発表
The character that Kishi has chosen to draw was also announced.

竹内さんの木の葉の歌姫
Takeuchi san is the songstress of Konoha. (Naruto's VA)

杉山さんの海坊主みたいなオバケ(笑)
Sugiyama san is like a green sea turtle monster(laughs) (Sasuke's VA)

キッシー絵だとまともに見える不思議ww
It is amazing to see Kishi's drawings in person.

■木の葉の名脇役は誰だ!?
Who are the best supporting characters from Konoha!?
1 Hatake Kakashi
2 Orochimaru
3 Tsunade
4 Jiraiya
5 Uchiha Itachi
6 Uchiha Madara
7 Asuma.Shikamaru (chocy: I think it's a tie)
8 Yamato
9 Gaara (chocy: the title mentioned Konoha though...)
10 Umino Iruka

申し訳ない
Sorry

4~7順番が全然違うかもしれん
The order may be wrong for 4-7

誰か訂正よろしく
Someone please correct this list if I am wrong.

ナルトがこの先どれだけ続くか分からないから何とも言えないが、
Nobody knows for how long the series will continue.

今後、
The future.

アスマの子供(性別は決めていない)が生まれたりシカマルが活躍したりするかも
When Asuma's child (his child's gender has not been decided) is born, will Shikamaru play an active role in bringing him/her up?

綱手(対ペイン?)でしわしわの本来の姿を明かすか悩んでいる
Will Tsunade's original wrinkly appearance be revealed when she deals with Pain?

ビジュアル的に引かれると思うから多分描かない
Don't really know how to translate this but it is not really important. Something about being reluctant to draw Tsunade's original appearance.

来年10周年なので色々やると思います、
I think because next year is the 10th anniversary that is why they seem to be doing everything and anything.
気合い入れて描くのでこれからもNARUTOをよろしくお願いしますbyKishi
いつも通りのキッシーでした
Kishi thanked the crowd for supporting Naruto all these years.
・アスマと紅の子供は女の子にしようかと考えてるがまだ曖昧
 その子供が出てくるかどうかもまだ曖昧っぽい
・綱手のセリフは、声優さんの声を聞いてから普通の丸い吹き出しじゃなく
 ギザギザの多い吹き出しで書くよう意識するようになった
・綱手が酒好きなのに最近飲んでないのは少年誌なので止められてるため
 背表紙の絵でも最初は酒飲んでる絵を描いてたが止められた
 ほんとはタバコもダメ
・イルカが名脇役10位なのは意外でもっと上に行くと思っていた
・ヤマトがランクインしていたのが意外で、入らないと思っていた
 岸本は気に入って描いてたが、「このキャラは地味だけど重要キャラですか」と
 アニメスタッフに訊かれたらしい(重要キャラならいい声優さんを当てるから)

summary of the second stage bit (not direct translation) by yoropiko:

he's thinking of making Asuma & Kurenai's child a she, but he's not sure. apparently he's not even sure if there would be a kid

he used to write Tsunade's lines in circle dialogue box-thingies but after hearing the person doing her voice, he started making them pointy boxes

Tsunade loves sake, but she's drinking less cause Naruto is a shonen and they asked him to stop. even with the cover pic, he drew her drinking sake at first but they made him change it. cigarettes are a no-no too

Iruka was only in 10th place for misc character ranking, so he was surprised. thought iruka would be more popular

He was surprised yamato was in, cuz he didn't expect to see him make it into the rankings

oh, Kishimoto liked him (yamato) but the anime staff had asked him "this character looks boring, but is he gonna be important in the story?" (cuz if it's an imp character, they'd hire a good person to do his voice)

thank you very much yoropiko!!!!!
This is an interview of Kishi by an American. Its from a few months ago. No spoilers are given away but it has some info that was at least new to me that I hadn't read before. I noticed when I read the WSJ interviews they ask him strange questions like "What color would Kakashi be?" This interview asks better (IMO) questions.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-etw-naruto17-2008dec17,0,4473861.story
Apologies that this has taken so long. To be honest, I really thought that someone out there would have a copy of Shonen Jump's Naruto Anime Profiles Episodes 1-37 by now, as it has been widely available here in the UK, for about a month - specifically someone with a scanner! :tem

Just a note: I typed everything exactly as is, including punctuation such as exclamation marks, parentheses (brackets) and the three-dot ellipsis (...) except that I've often used British spelling (just out of habit). Typing all this certainly brought back memories of learning to touch type back in school! My fingers are tingling!

EDIT: On page 2 Gold Knight has also typed out an interview that Kishi did for Shonen Jump as Kakashi!

Enjoy.

Most interesting comment? Q1. For me, that answers a long debated question about how closely related the anime and manga are in the making.

Q7 was the other - Anko! Why the heck didn't he develop her more?!? She's my favourite female character too, and for the same reason as Kishi! How frustrating! I guess he can't develop every single character. Dammit. :darn

The other thing I found interesting was the length of time he spends on chapters. I thought it might take quite a while just to get the drawings down pat - and then there's the writing, editing etc. So yeah, hard work.

Anyway, those are what I found interesting. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.

Wunderchu

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

kubik

Reaction score
Country
Poland

kadoman

Itachi's Hat Maker
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece

kadoman

Itachi's Hat Maker
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

ibra87

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

lee-nus

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

kubik

Reaction score
Country
Poland

ibra87

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

kadoman

Itachi's Hat Maker
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

kubik

Reaction score
Country
Poland

C4animax

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France

glasskatana

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

kadoman

Itachi's Hat Maker
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom