TV - House of The Dragon | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV House of The Dragon

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India

This Thread is for discussing everything related to it.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

New trailer dropped

Looks like they weren't lying about the budget I guess, 20 million per episode or something nuts? (can only hope they do the same for The Last of Us).

The wigs still look terrible though...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Gotta say right now I'm loving the Otto Hightower casting a lot. So much of the Hightowers is kind of left up to speculation given how secretive they are and the fact that none of the main players from that house have been closely involved in ASOIAF up until this point. There's so much rumor and speculation about that family and Oldtown in general. Rhys Ifans seems like he might work really well there.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

And I know it's been talked to death, but I'm still just not sure how this Corlys Velaryon casting is going to work given that the appearance of Rhaenyra's children and how they look is such a crucial plot point...

Last edited:

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I have so very little faith in this show and yet I'm already on this train.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Yeah, they fucking got me.... even as a curmudgeon. Thank fuck D&D are nowhere near this.

That one scene of what looks like Harrenhal at 47 seconds in literally made me gasp. The quality of this trailer is so shit though, even at full quality.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Wait, the checkmark on the channel tricked me into thinking this was an official source lol nvm, here's a better version

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

I thought this was a pretty interesting breakdown of Black Velaryons and how they'll work in the show

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Love the video. I hate how each time a Black casting is made somehow gives everybody the right to talk shit.

Just f**cking enjoy the show or critic it for the right reasons.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Love the video. I hate how each time a Black casting is made somehow gives everybody the right to talk shit.

Just f**cking enjoy the show or critic it for the right reasons.
I just hate how the discourse surrounding these type of situations in casting is dominated by racists and not a discussion of plot implications. Because those exist regardless of who is cast. I only care about it being handled in a cogent way that does the story justice. As long as the specifics with Rhaenyra's children are handled properly, then I don't think a legitimate gripe can really exist.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Short video featuring the showrunners ahead of the House of the Dragon Panel this week at San Diego ComicCon. New trailer will probably hit the internet on Saturday.

Welp nvm, trailer is early

And holy shit the budget lol

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
First episode review - It's good!

But that's as someone already familiar with the material, so curious what normies think about it

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
saw the episode.... maybe ok in general? but in the context of how you'd expect targaryens from 200 years before the show to behave....

when it came to the succession discussion it felt like the show ignored the actual obvious outcomes:

1.- A king loosing a queen that struggled producing kids simply opens up the possibility of bringing in a more fertile queen. Sure, the king isn't healthy presumably but a quick marriage aimed to producing an heir should at least be on the table.
2.- They are targaryens. Gross targaryens even... The king has a daughter and a brother. This seems like the natural almost dead end for the discussion outside of the king getting a new consort.
3.- The prophecy bit..... really? I suppose it's not unfeasible that they would have dreamed this even in the books (maybe they did? I haven't read the targaryen book) but the way the series presented this seems... cheap?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
saw the episode.... maybe ok in general? but in the context of how you'd expect targaryens from 200 years before the show to behave....

when it came to the succession discussion it felt like the show ignored the actual obvious outcomes:

1.- A king loosing a queen that struggled producing kids simply opens up the possibility of bringing in a more fertile queen. Sure, the king isn't healthy presumably but a quick marriage aimed to producing an heir should at least be on the table.
2.- They are targaryens. Gross targaryens even... The king has a daughter and a brother. This seems like the natural almost dead end for the discussion outside of the king getting a new consort.
3.- The prophecy bit..... really? I suppose it's not unfeasible that they would have dreamed this even in the books (maybe they did? I haven't read the targaryen book) but the way the series presented this seems... cheap?
Not going to go into detail but the points you bring up are addressed at some point in the written material, and should be in the show. But good analysis either way. Just keep in mind that this is the first bit of the first season of this show and they're things that would likely come before the pot eventually boils over, so to speak.

Regarding the prophecy, I will say that GRRM has alluded to this in hints and bits at times. I've seen some people recoil at it, but I would say given what I've examined it mostly fits in the canon and likely comes from him, given his involvement in the show. It's not really something you can chalk up hackneyed jokes about his writing pace either as I don't think it'll be relevant in the future story really. But it does explain several things in the histories, especially regarding Aegon the Conqueror's behavior at times, as well as Rhaegar's.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Not going to go into detail but the points you bring up are addressed at some point in the written material, and should be in the show. But good analysis either way. Just keep in mind that this is the first bit of the first season of this show and they're things that would likely come before the pot eventually boils over, so to speak.

Regarding the prophecy, I will say that GRRM has alluded to this in hints and bits at times. I've seen some people recoil at it, but I would say given what I've examined it mostly fits in the canon and likely comes from him, given his involvement in the show. It's not really something you can chalk up hackneyed jokes about his writing pace either as I don't think it'll be relevant in the future story really. But it does explain several things in the histories, especially regarding Aegon the Conqueror's behavior at times, as well as Rhaegar's.
Dunno, I can't help but shiver remembering season 8.... It's clear they can't cram every bit of context into a single episode but the bits they chose to keep seem odd. I suppose their choices might make more sense in future episodes though that doesn't exactly excuse the characters coming out as borderline irrational.

I suppose my main issue here is the execution mostly? It's almost trying too hard to make the targaryen as being... burdened by responsibility rather than being the same as everyone else (except slightly more magical) but with dragons. I mean:

King: What do you think targaryens are?
Princess: pfft, we are just dudes with big lizards.
king: Ah yes, yes, but there's also an ancient prophecy our ancestors came where we kinda have to rule most of everything to save the world.
Princess: Can't that just be the mad ramblings of our grandpa-uncle-cousin?
King: It could, sure, but the audience has either seen the original series OR even read the books. So it's not.
Princess: So this bare minimum of awareness I have....
King: Mostly unnecessary, yes. As long as we have dragons of course.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Dunno, I can't help but shiver remembering season 8.... It's clear they can't cram every bit of context into a single episode but the bits they chose to keep seem odd. I suppose their choices might make more sense in future episodes though that doesn't exactly excuse the characters coming out as borderline irrational.

I suppose my main issue here is the execution mostly? It's almost trying too hard to make the targaryen as being... burdened by responsibility rather than being the same as everyone else (except slightly more magical) but with dragons. I mean:

King: What do you think targaryens are?
Princess: pfft, we are just dudes with big lizards.
king: Ah yes, yes, but there's also an ancient prophecy our ancestors came where we kinda have to rule most of everything to save the world.
Princess: Can't that just be the mad ramblings of our grandpa-uncle-cousin?
King: It could, sure, but the audience has either seen the original series OR even read the books. So it's not.
Princess: So this bare minimum of awareness I have....
King: Mostly unnecessary, yes. As long as we have dragons of course.
With this new revelation of sorts, I think the point will be this greater purpose may or may not exist, but Rhaenyra will likely forget about it mostly for her own sake. This greater purpose might partially motivate her to do what she does and be who she was, but it won't be because she's a righteous person that cares about mankind. That will hopefully break the illusion for all of the Dany stans that are hoping to transfer their worship to someone else - Rhaenyra is not a revolutionary.

It's clear given Rhaegar's behavior that this prophecy was lost to history at some point, as him discovering it is the clear reason why Barristan said he randomly said one day "it seems I must become a warrior". It's already a bit questionable as to how much Maegor knew or whether he told anyone given his own nature. So it's likely that this prophecy will still be treated like a lunatic's ramblings by some, put down in a secret scroll and treated like nonsense at some point. That and the reality that whatever we might consider as "proof" of this prophecy being real, the events of the War for the Dawn will take place 200 years later than this. And given the way prophecy works in this world, it's not some be-all-end-all thing that Targaryens get correct just because they're Targaryens.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
With this new revelation of sorts, I think the point will be this greater purpose may or may not exist, but Rhaenyra will likely forget about it mostly for her own sake. This greater purpose might partially motivate her to do what she does and be who she was, but it won't be because she's a righteous person that cares about mankind. That will hopefully break the illusion for all of the Dany stans that are hoping to transfer their worship to someone else - Rhaenyra is not a revolutionary.

It's clear given Rhaegar's behavior that this prophecy was lost to history at some point, as him discovering it is the clear reason why Barristan said he randomly said one day "it seems I must become a warrior". It's already a bit questionable as to how much Maegor knew or whether he told anyone given his own nature. So it's likely that this prophecy will still be treated like a lunatic's ramblings by some, put down in a secret scroll and treated like nonsense at some point. That and the reality that whatever we might consider as "proof" of this prophecy being real, the events of the War for the Dawn will take place 200 years later than this. And given the way prophecy works in this world, it's not some be-all-end-all thing that Targaryens get correct just because they're Targaryens.
Maybe I am misremembering but wasn't rheagar aware of the other prophecies concerning the massive war with the fate of mankind at stake? I had to google a bit but he speaks of the prince that was promised. I suppose its possible he put the two prophecies together... Or that he took his family's prophecy seriosly when he found the other presumably independent but clearly connected prophecies.

But yeah, otherwise the actual prophecy can't actually matter to her that much. I suppose I will get to reading the targaryen book now.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Maybe I am misremembering but wasn't rheagar aware of the other prophecies concerning the massive war with the fate of mankind at stake? I had to google a bit but he speaks of the prince that was promised. I suppose its possible he put the two prophecies together... Or that he took his family's prophecy seriosly when he found the other presumably independent but clearly connected prophecies.

But yeah, otherwise the actual prophecy can't actually matter to her that much. I suppose I will get to reading the targaryen book now.
I think it's likely that this specific Targaryen prophecy was lost at some point, potentially after the Tragedy at Summerhall when Egg and Duncan the Small died. Both the sitting king and his heir wiped out at once. It also lines up that there's very little information about the pursuit of bringing dragons back after this. They were always instrumental in Targaryen power and would obviously be invaluable in a war in the North.

My theory is that somehow Rhaegar learned of the prophecy that was lost with his great grandfather's death and since it also lined up with The Prince that was Promised as well as Azor Azhai Reborn, The Last Hero, maybe his or someone close to him's prophetic dreams, this was the catalyst for what he did that led up to Robert's Rebellion, etc. Perhaps it's not necessary and the Mad King told him since he was his heir, but I don't know if the specific timeline lines up in a way that makes sense or not. Plus, not much of what Aerys II did seemed reasonable or measured, so it's hard to envision him doing much reasonable.

Wondering when we'll no longer need spoilers :shifty

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Matt Smith's accent could have been more posh for his role. :toc

I don't understand why they're focusing on this timeline.

It seems as if nothing relevant happens.

It will never amount to more than a series of filler material?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Hmmm, not exactly? During the main story there are constant references to events dating back even thousands of years. Most folk in the story are history nerds for some reason (looked through their own lenses of course). History in the story provides context and continually shapes how characters behave. And what is clear from what little we learn of that much larger history is that the "game of thrones" has been going strong for thousands of years. It's unfair to characterize those events as filler, specially if grrm had anything to do with coming up with them.

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Hmmm, not exactly? During the main story there are constant references to events dating back even thousands of years. Most folk in the story are history nerds for some reason (looked through their own lenses of course). History in the story provides context and continually shapes how characters behave. And what is clear from what little we learn of that much larger history is that the "game of thrones" has been going strong for thousands of years. It's unfair to characterize those events as filler, specially if grrm had anything to do with coming up with them.

Many manga and manwha series I've read lately. Have steep decliness in quality.

To where I feel like I'm reading filler chapter after filler chapter.

Wouldn't it be strange if the new game of thrones series was the same.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Watched this episode today.I will be honest i enjoyed it.It was a pretty good episode.Hopefully we get more information about many mysteries and lores of the series.

House Targaryen is my favourite House in this series so i will probably enjoy this series if they maintain this quality.Also Dragons,lots of Dragons.

Last edited:

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

What does this comment even mean...? Are you familiar with what the series is based on or?

This series isn't "filler" or anything. The first series was ruined and the sooner we all move on to better things the better. This one looks like it'll help with that just nicely.