How do we define who is a tyrant and who is evil, or even lawful evilness? The topic does intrigue many of us, doesn't it?
Looking at the definition in the dictionary, it says tyranny is:
It appears that many of us have different opinion on considering and defining who is a tyrant and who is a downright evil person(s) to the core. In the case of a tyranny, I would consider Doflamingo a tyrant ruler - cruel, vicious and ruthless. But I would define his actions as evil.
In view that the topic has been discussed intensively, I have taken the liberty to copy the related posts over here, which I believe some of you may like to continue your discussion separately. As the chapter thread will be archived soon, once a new chapter is out, it will be plausible to set up a thread on its own which will be a place for you to express your thoughts.
The topic can be sensitive to some, so please do stay cool and calm in your debate. You may use examples to illustration your point too.
Below are the posts for your reference.
Looking at the definition in the dictionary, it says tyranny is:
- a state under cruel and oppressive government.
- rule by one who has absolute power without legal right.
- cruel, unreasonable, harsh act of proceeding, arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power; despotic abuse of authority.
- profoundly immoral and wicked.
- harmful or tending to harm or something which is harmful or undesirable.
It appears that many of us have different opinion on considering and defining who is a tyrant and who is a downright evil person(s) to the core. In the case of a tyranny, I would consider Doflamingo a tyrant ruler - cruel, vicious and ruthless. But I would define his actions as evil.
In view that the topic has been discussed intensively, I have taken the liberty to copy the related posts over here, which I believe some of you may like to continue your discussion separately. As the chapter thread will be archived soon, once a new chapter is out, it will be plausible to set up a thread on its own which will be a place for you to express your thoughts.
The topic can be sensitive to some, so please do stay cool and calm in your debate. You may use examples to illustration your point too.
Below are the posts for your reference.
I'm going to be very angry if we get a sob story for Mam. The yonkou should be ruthless. Even the morally cool ones like Shanks and Whitebeard are tyrants in their own rights. I think her desire to have a 'paradise for all races' should be her only redeeming quality, much like Whitebeard's was to 'have a family'.
Even though I totally expect her 'paradise for all races' has more to do with her appetite than some sense of righteousness, I'd really rather it be played straight this time.
How were Shanks and Whitebeard tyrants? Whitebeard seemed to care about his friends and family a lot to the point that he declared Fishman Island as his own mainly to protect it without expecting anything in return.
I think we'll have a sob story for most villains, though it depends on how it justifies their actions. I wouldn't mind the ruthlessness from BIg Mom and Kaidou though, but I don't think we've come across truly evil characters yet, unless you count dumbass Hodi.
Well, so far ... doflamingo is the most evil that i have seen in one piece. kaidou might replace him but i will wait and see how his arc goes.
There are quite a few definitions of 'tyrant'. Whitebeard is obviously an exception with his father/children system of crew members, but I'd definitely call him a tyrant otherwise. You can't really become a yonkou without being tyrannical.
Enel springs to mind as evil. Akainu is pretty lawful evil.
I would definitely say Whitebeard was a tyrant. He may have allowed the countries in his territory to live relatively peaceful lives (as much as can be possible in the One Piece world) but he definitely ruled with an iron fist. Those were his territories and anyone acting in a fashion he didn't condone were subject to his wrath. Even Buggy knew to never harm a member of Whitebeard's crew.
![]()
The fact that Whitebeard's territories were peaceful does not mean Whitebeard was not a tyrant, the peace in his territories were based on threats of extreme violence and death, which is exactly what tyrants use.
yeah, I was thinking about Doflamingo, but even he showed to care for his crew as long as they were loyal to him.
Oh right, I forgot about the Tenryuubito! They're definitely the most evil pieces of shit ever.
How is he a tyrant? What have he and Shanks done to call them tyrants? Isn't it normal for captains to want to hurt someone if they mess with his crew? It's possible to become a Yonkou without being tyrannical.
Enel turned good, methinks, and I never saw Akainu as evil. He's an antagonist, but his motivation is for the betterment of the world, and he sees pirates as evil.
Illegitimate rulers that are pretty much unilateral dictators? The definition of a yonkou is synonymous with the definition (many of them anyways) of tyrannical. I don't think Whitebeard was any softer than Roger- they're just the morally lighter end of that particular spectrum.
Enel good? Never :P
Akainu? That's why I qualified him as lawful evil, like how Byakuya was portrayed in early (decent) Bleach. The concept of "Absolute Justice" itself could be easily qualified as lawful evil distilled, and Akainu is that personified. Black and white morality tends to paint a character more evil than individual understanding. Just because he's not crooked or self-interested doesn't make him less evil. Just a different flavor of it.
Hilarious example of what Akainu makes me think of: Master Asia from G Gundam. THE well-intentioned extremist. Aka is just the lawful version of Master Asia's chaotic version.
How is it synonymous? Emperors are not necessarily tyrannical, and Whitebeard hasn't shown such trait either. How would desire to protect loved ones make him tyrannical? Doflamingo would be considered tyrannical, but not Whitebeard or Cobra (for example), as far as we know. I'm asking for proof, but no one is providing any.
Hey, blame the cover story, not me. Didn't Enel save those chipmunks in the moon sanctuary or something?
I know, but I don't see Akainu as evil at all. I think it depends on the point of view, and our point of view is that the Straw Hats are good guys and protagonists, while Akainu is an antagonist and potentially evil because he wants to kill Luffy. Akainu's motives make it difficult for me to see him as an evil person, lawfully evil or not. I'm looking at it a bit black and white, but not all that blindly. His desire is to rid the world of evil and chaos and to bring peace, no? THerefore, I don't consider him evil, whereas someone like Spandem is evil because he doesn't care about peace, he wants power and recognition and is willing to do whatever it takes. At least Akainu's is somewhat justified, as much as I disagree with "Absolute Justice." Would it be right for us to judge him as evil without understanding what made him like this? At least we can judge Doflamingo as evil for the most part because he was a shithead as a child too.
I don't watch G Gundam, or I've never watched it. But yeah, Akainu is an extremist.
This is what cemented Akainu as an evil character to me. Even Spandam's father was willing to spare the non-archaeologist population of Ohara live, but Akainu killed them all just on the off chance that any archaeologists were on board. Add that to the fact that the enitre reason they were destroying Ohara was that the Oharans had the audacity to try and learn about the past, and there is nothing good about Akainu. Those weren't pirates that Akainu was murdering without hesitation, they were innocent civilians.![]()
![]()
What if learning about the Blank Century would cause horrible chaos? It seems whatever went on during those decades were pretty bad, and that it could make people be pissed off with the WG and lose faith. All we know is whatever went on was enough to make Roger suggest Robin explore more of the world before learning what happened. I disagree with Akainu, but I don't think it's fair to call him evil.
Hmm, I do think Jinbei could be at a disadvantage if Big Mom decided to use his crew as punishment. Jinbei likely doesn't fear death or losing a limb, but he'd definitely be afraid if his crew mate or Straw Hats would run into trouble.
That's a whole 'nother argument that has nothing to do directly with this one, since Akainu definitely doesn't have secret knowledge of the 'Void Century' like Sengoku/Roger did. I would like to debate about that, though it would need its own thread ^^
Then it's just a disagreement of defintions. I linked a simple wiki page as my 'source' for the definition of tyranny- that page isn't exactly mired in 'source needed' tags either. WB is unusual for tyrants in that he wants to protect everyone under his banner in an absolute manner, but that is also a tyrannical trait in its own right- his decisions about BB are central to that tyrannical mindset. Shanks wanted to reach a consensus about Teach eventually but WB declined and eventually it led to his downfall and the pilfering of the Gura Gura which Teach would use to murder most of the WB pirates.
And I can't not see Akainu is evil. Plenty of villains think they are doing what is right, that doesn't redefine them as misunderstood/anti-heroes/neutrals imo. Akainu's attack on Ohara cemented it for me.
How do you know that? Even if that is true, what if he had some knowledge or was told what the repercussions would be if the secret was to be revealed?
But didn't Whitebeard or someone try to stop Ace and failed? If Whitebeard was tyrannical, he would have locked Ace up or found a way to prevent him from going after Blackbeard as Whitebeard was initially against the idea. Nothing Whitebeard did indicated he was a tyrant, at least we know Big Mom is a tyrant because she is willing to destroy Fishman Island if she doesn't get her sweets. Doflamingo was a tyrant because he punished anyone who went against him and forced the former humans and dwarves to keep working, with the former humans living as if they never existed for anyone. What has Whitebeard done? He took over Fishman Island with the intent to protect it from bad people, and he is willing to go up against anyone who wants to hurt his family. Hell, even when Ace was trying to kill him Whitebeard never even tried to kill or seriously hurt Ace.
Meh, I think motivation matters, and it's why I can't see Akainu as evil. He's an extremist who wants to eradicate evil, which pirates essentially are although there are few exceptions. Though, I do think he's a major asshole, given how he trashtalked Whitebeard.