Miscellaneous - How to rate Edited Mangas! | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Miscellaneous How to rate Edited Mangas!

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
angry said:
One thing i'm thinking of adding is extra points for a bonus folder and colored covers... but right now i'm putting priority on building the admin ^^. The idea is mostly to rate Edited Mangas from lq/hq raws. I'm guessing that its gonna be usefull for untill the first HQ comes out and then pretty much every HQ will score above 90% so there will be very little difference. So for example on Naruto it will be pretty hard to rate Shannaro vs. Japflap vs. Inane vs. NBST... they will prob. all score around the same with some minor differences.

But the most important thing is to be able to tell the difference between the speedscans that come out, because those vary a lot in quality. Besides that we'll be keeping a record of each cleaner, so when we have some more date, we could show statistics about that cleaner or cleaner group.

Also the site will have info about various manga's aswell (not just Naruto) and yea... we need alot of ppl to add all the info, so i'm building it so that alot of ppl can add data to the site, which means the building is very slow, but in the end i'm hoping it will pay off because more ppl will be able to add more data.
Damn I really like your ideas. The statistic thing is really nice o.o quality indicator for Edited Mangas :D

ketwaroo

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
the komikku.net seems to be a really interesting project. but.. er.. how do i submit pages to be rated?

angry

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
ketwaroo said:
the komikku.net seems to be a really interesting project. but.. er.. how do i submit pages to be rated?
Hehe, well for now i'm the only one rating pages... and i've been off for the weekend so sorry for that. I'll d/l the new Edited Mangas now and rate them.

Emery

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Japan
I have a suggestion. How about anything that scores above 100 on Angry's test is considered HQ, 50 - 99 as MQ, and 0-49 as LQ.

I don't think something has to be "perfect" to biased standards to be called HQ. I think Angry's rating system is more than sufficient.

angry

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Well thats not rly possible Emery, because you can score perfect quality, but have crappy typesetting for example. Plus the rating should still be tweaked a little, i've just been busy lately and haven't been able to do anything.

Emery

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Okay, who's going to score perfect quality, then fuck up super bad on typesetting? The two just don't go together.

Hermie

vs. The World.
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Norway
It happens, trust me. ;)

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
It really, really does happen.

xxept0

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Aaah, this thread really helped me (noob and all.....). xD Thanks for taking your time to do it. :)

Emery

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Okay, here's a suggestion.

Stop basing quality on size. Size has nothing to do with quality. It's just a bias that some people have.

Pages shouldn't have to be 1200 pixels tall to be considered high quality. That's just the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

No detail is lost when the pages are smaller. THEY'RE BLACK AND WHITE LINES.

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Emery said:
detail is lost when the pages are smaller.
That's why, and no, we're not changing that.

Emery

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Japan
LOL. Fail.

Compare a huge scan and a mid-sized scan of the same quality. No detail is lost, it's just smaller.

Such a stupid bias.

ketwaroo

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
it depends. Evil Genious does really great stuff @ 1600px with berserk.
Null (and me as well) go some good stuff with 1100px. I keep it at 1100 because i get much smaller filesizes whithout losing too much detail. and its easier to scroll.
The Birds of Hermes do neat stuff @ only 1000px with Hellsing. But its their typesetting and translation that really kick ass.

1200px is the generally accepted standard because that was the size of HQ raws was 1200px for a very long time.

but below 1000 it's not good. detail really starts to be lost.

Fuzzy

Post Hijacker
Reaction score
Country
United States
Emery said:
Okay, here's a suggestion.

Stop basing quality on size. Size has nothing to do with quality. It's just a bias that some people have.

Pages shouldn't have to be 1200 pixels tall to be considered high quality. That's just the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

No detail is lost when the pages are smaller. THEY'RE BLACK AND WHITE LINES.
The size of a raster image (jpg,png,gif,bmp,ect..) DOES matter.. because the quality of a raster image is determined by the number of pixels, the more pixels (the bigger image resolution) the better quality it is. (doesn't matter if its black and white or color)

and as we all know lower quality means loss of detail

so... You Fail.

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
ketwaroo said:
1200px is the generally accepted standard because that was the size of HQ raws was 1200px for a very long time.

but below 1000 it's not good. detail really starts to be lost.
1100 is the standard size for HQ.
1200 should only be used when the originating raw is very well scanned and does NOT require cleaning. It's the "special" size.

Below 1100 is never a good idea. There's just no reason to do it unless you had a really LQ raw to begin with - in which case there's no way you can get HQ anyway. If you DID have a good raw with which to make HQ, why would you shrink the size that much?

nytrogyn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I like komikku.net

angry

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
nytro said:
I like komikku.net
Tnx ^^, work in progress... you'll like it alot more in a few weeks (i hope ^^)

Talec

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Awesome checklist, thanks for posting. :3

*considers* I scan each page in 200dpi greyscale, remove spots in the black and white; remove the japanese text unless it's part of the art (in which case I add a subtitle if I can understand it) or sound effects (I didn't know what they meant; I only recently found an onomatopoetic dictionary)...

So that'd be MQ? I need to finish a chapter so I can start propogating Englishized SD Gundam manga around the internet. ;/ I think, when I feel sufficiently experienced, I'll redo the pages that need it, and not worry too much about quality now.

~Talec

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
woah, you need to scan at 300 (i do 600) to get any good results