Anime Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackListHunter

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 20, 2011
Messages
39
Reaction score
78
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Oh my God Becky look at Hisoka's belly
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Easter egg time



See the bald guy to the far left? Remind you of anyone?

 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I had a feeling that might be Zenji, do you think the old guy directly above him is one of the ten godfathers? Kinda looks like it to me.



I'm looking forward to there being filler that might expand on the mafia/meteor city/yorknew more.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I had a feeling that might be Zenji, do you think the old guy directly above him is one of the ten godfathers? Kinda looks like it to me.



I'm looking forward to there being filler that might expand on the mafia/meteor city/yorknew more.
For the life of me I could not remember Zenji's name. Took forever to find him.

yeah it probably is one of the ten dons.

Hm...I rather not.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What is this spoiler Tuesdays?? Although seems like most of the posters here read the manga anyways.. lol
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
naw you're right man, I like the idea of this thread being newbie friendly.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
naw you're right man, I like the idea of this thread being newbie friendly.
Yeah hopefully we see more HxH newbs later on since the series is getting better and better. hehe


Off topic: Did your birthday recently pass? If it did happy belated birthday!
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Um, me? no it was in October, hmm maybe I didn't set the proper bday lol! Yea I found this place because I was on Nexgear back in god, 2004? When I first finished the 99 series and embarked on NGL with the manga for the first time. After all the hiatuses I was glad to see theres a sizeable hunter forum still around. I'm just glad I was able to convert like 80% of my own anime watching friends to the Hunter side. I think now I'm most excited at the prospect of new swag, movies, posters, games etc
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
Since this has been brought up somewhere else, let me ask you this: Yorkshin or Yorknew?

Personally, I go with Yorknew since that's the official name according to Viz. The same reason I use Phantom Troupe instead of Genei Ryodan.



And guys, please, no manga spoilers. There are still some newbies around.
 
Last edited:

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Very true, I'll try to be mindful. Though to be fair you're posting a page from further in the series then the 2011 anime is. Either way. It doesn't matter both names are correct to me. Yorkshin sounds cooler to me, but the pun is more obvious to english speakers as Yorknew. Likewise with the Genei Ryodan (it sounds cool to me) but Phantom troupe is much easier to say so I flip flop on that, though I simply just call them them Spiders most times.
 

chei

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
106
Reaction score
133
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Since this has been brought up somewhere else, let me ask you this: Yorkshin or Yorknew?

Personally, I go with Yorknew since that's the official name according to Viz. The same reason I use Phantom Troupe instead of Genei Ryodan.
I'd go with Yorknew, Phantom Troupe, Heaven's Arena, Bungee Gum, etc.

The romanji spelling just looks like bunch of meaningless alphabets together, the writings of 'Genei Ryodan' mean nothing "visually", it's just a pronunciation. It's like you're writing 'fantəm' instead of 'Phantom'. The meaning only works in the form of kanji 幻影旅団.

I personally find it kinda silly that the usage Genei Ryodan is favored over Phantom Troupe in most normal conversation in English fan forums. That's what Genei Ryodan seems like to me. I'm sure some people would think they came off more purist or whatever, or they think sounding foreign = cool. I'm just saying it's silly to me.

Using 'Yorkshin' missed the joke, but I think some 'purists' either didn't know nor care because it's not cool, And if you go by the 1999 tv series, it's probably too jokey for that adaptation as it took itself WAY too seriously and tried to hard to be dark and serious Hollywood thriller-vibe.
 
Last edited:

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Um, me? no it was in October, hmm maybe I didn't set the proper bday lol! Yea I found this place because I was on Nexgear back in god, 2004? When I first finished the 99 series and embarked on NGL with the manga for the first time. After all the hiatuses I was glad to see theres a sizeable hunter forum still around. I'm just glad I was able to convert like 80% of my own anime watching friends to the Hunter side. I think now I'm most excited at the prospect of new swag, movies, posters, games etc
O haha the last time i remembered seeing your age it said 25. I guess i didn't bother to look since than or something... lol, But yeah I got into the HxH in 2008. I was purely an anime guy at the time. Not until recently i got more into to manga and i decided to read HxH from beginning to "end" to see if the 1999 series was loyal. Little did i know ... lol

I can see the HxH fan base growing much more in the future since the new anime is doing HxH justice IMO.
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
Very true, I'll try to be mindful. Though to be fair you're posting a page from further in the series then the 2011 anime is.
To be fair, I didn't have the English volume at time. But now I have.

I'd go with Yorknew, Phantom Troupe, Heaven's Arena, Bungee Gum, etc.
Is there anyone who still uses "Pansy Gum"?!
 
Last edited:

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
To be fair, I didn't have the English volume at time. But now I have.



Is there anyone who still uses "Pansy Gum"?!
You'd be surprised... -_-

Some of the terms people use really puzzle me, as there is official English alternatives.
I don't get why people refuse to say Phantom Troupe, instead being dead on for Genei Ryodan, a name which doesn't mean anything in English. I'm guessing some people consider themselves to be 'purists' or 'hardcore fans' for ignoring the official translations in favour of something they do not even understand...
 

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Yorknew/Yorkshin ,Phantom Troupe/Genei Ryodan ,as far as I care,I just pronoun it either both.They are correct either way.As long as the translation doesn't make the phrase sound pretty weird,I'm fine with it.Like Illumi,is pronoun as Yellmi in another translation or Milluki as Milky.One of the oddest translation I have seen is for Gon's surname since it's sound like "freak",some translate it to Gon the weird.

On a side note,is there anyone here who hasn't read the manga or watch the 1999 version of the anime and just started to watch the 2011 version?
I'm just curious,since most of the post here contain spoiler of future arc or events (presumably most of us have read the manga or watch the old anime).
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Actually the 2011 anime IS now that far. :)

I don't think I've posted anything TOO spoilerish but I'll try to keep careful from now and not spill the beans that Einhorn is Finkle! Finkle is Einhorn! Einhorn is a man!

...

Oh, my GOD! Einhorn is a man!

*BARFS*

---------- Post added at 03:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 AM ----------

I think if you're gonna be a purist you should go with the completely crazy spellings of Togashi

Like Curarpikt instead of Kurapika or Kurpapica.




BTW on the episodes...

I thought it was interesting how episodes 24 and 25 once again match up really well. It's like how Gon vs Hanzo and Killua vs Illumi match up.
In 24 we got Killua meeting his dad Silva. In 25 we got Gon meet Gotoh. Both are very very very very very tense atmospheres where you
think that either Gotoh or Silva will just snap and snap some necks...particularly Gon and Killua's. But yet that does not happen. Instead
both have a important conversation. Gotoh demonstrates to Gon how unfair the world can be. Silva explains to Killua about how he sees
that Killua needs to walk his own path. Both end with a promise. To protect their friend. Killua seals the deal with a blood oath. And while
Gon doesn't make a blood oath he did cut his swelled eye open which while he obviously did it to see at the same time he needed to see
so he could win the game and see Killua. Both show that Gon and Killua are determined to be friends. And both Silva and Gotoh know
that friendship will be challenged. The major difference is of course Silva's ulterior motive of having Killua one day return as an assassin
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,755
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
You'd be surprised... -_-

Some of the terms people use really puzzle me, as there is official English alternatives.
I don't get why people refuse to say Phantom Troupe, instead being dead on for Genei Ryodan, a name which doesn't mean anything in English. I'm guessing some people consider themselves to be 'purists' or 'hardcore fans' for ignoring the official translations in favour of something they do not even understand...
I use the original names too. Only because it's translated I don't have to use it.
 

devilitachi

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
80
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Genei Ryodan sounds cool, phantom troupe sounds gay. As simple as that.
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
One joke they left out (probably for the sake of time) that I like...

After Killua demonstrates the difference between Hanzo and Hisoka

Gon: How did you do that?
Killua: What? Drawing on the floor? Nothing to it!

Lol.

Though it's not much of a big deal it was left out. I just thought the line was humorous.
You mean this one, right? Although it feels like a Vizism since even the Edited Mangas didn't match.



Here's another Vizism

 
Last edited:

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
OMG. Agon..."Freddy????" NOOO? "HISOKA!!!" WOW

The early translation is hilarious, that's awful. Just wow. I remember being a silly 19 year old college student watching my Aku subs for the 1999 series thinking it was the best thing in the world (1999 series is still my favorite anime probably) and I was very against getting into the manga. I already wasn't a huge manga guy, and compared to other manga I was reading the art style of Togashi's really turned me off. I nitpicked the translations "Phantom Troupe" "Pokkle" (as opposed to Pokkuru) and Enhancer over Reinforcement etc. But in recent years after collecting most of the NGL arc books I've really grown a love for Togashi's later style (I'm still not huge on the first 10-13 volumes art wise) And even the Viz translation really grew on me.

It's so much easier to talk about the series without using a bunch of Japanese phrases that don't need to be Japanese because the series itself doesn't have many Japanese characters in it! So basically I got over my weaboo phase, I still do prefer a few names though because they "sound cooler" like Senritsu over Melody, I don't like it when they translate names of characters, and am much more okay with it being used to translate the meaning behind the name of a place or group of people. My argument with Senritsu being that once you translate some names, where does it end? I wouldn't exactly call her name a pun, this also goes for what I think of translating the Shadow Beasts names (shadow beasts and phantom troupe are fine because they are a group name) Again I think its to each their own, there isn't necessarily a right or wrong in this situation.

Isn't Pansy Gum just a dumb subtitle mistake? the Aku Fansubs kinda blow, I mean in comparison to what Viz and Crunchyroll have done for the series. Viz translations I love over Edited Mangas: Morel over Morau, Zoldyck over Zaoldyeck (granted thats how Togashi spells it) Knov over Knovu, and Flutter over Furatta (seriously, I can't believe the Manga Editors used that one till the end)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top