Anime Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

there76

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
176
Reaction score
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't know where people got that from. Most of the time I was paying attention to it, Killua seemed taller. Like in the first ED.

Anyway, on to the episode. It was... simply fantastic. It felt really nice paced, good musical choices. Little to comment on... I can only say it was solid in every way, specially in leaving the spectator craving for next week's episode.
There were time where Gon was taller, and other where they are the same height.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Height fluctuates a lot in animation especially when two characters are so close in height. It's nothing worth fussing over. I however will sign that petition for Popo's comparisons to return.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
As far as height goes Gon vs Killua


According to the wiki....

Gon is 154 cm or 5 feet 1 inch for the sake of simplicity
Killua is 158 cm or 5 feet 2 inch for the sake of simplicity

That's REALLY not much of a difference and it can very difficult to determine their height from sight alone considering the rules of perspective.

Heck do we even know how the two were measured? I mean did they count for the fact that Gon has hair that is like ten feet tall and that he wears boots?

Truth be told I just saw them as equal in height.

I mean c'mon this isn't something like Gon being taller than Hisoka. Now THAT would be silly. And I mean Kid Gon. No Macho Gon!

And as for them being short in general...

Well they're like 5 feet tall. Whereas someone like Leorio is 6 feet 4 inches tall or 193 cm and there seems to be a good deal of tall characters in HxH.

So of course they're going to look short.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think comparison conversations are good, they make for good conversation. I just think some people get defensive and arguments ensue. I really like the idea of making the wiki better though. I've already noticed there are some notes on 1999 anime or 2011 anime only changes, so far so good. Wiki's are always a bit of a so so source of information. I'd be nice if there was a place like Kanzenshuu (dragonball) for Hunter x Hunter, but understandably there aren't a ton of english HxH fan sites. Hopefully there will be some good ones one day.
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
I want to know how everyone first felt about Nen. Because to be honest, I don't like it. Why? Because it took away the realism of the fights that we got in the first two arcs.

The fights and abilities were normal and had some realism in it, and it was a thing I liked about HxH. But now, it's going to be Nen vs Nen, a clash of super powers like any regular shonen, my power level is greater than yours, etc, and it took the mysterious, scary side from Hisoka and Illumi.

Did Togashi had to add such a shonen cliche to his series?!
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You're not wrong (it's your opinion), but I don't think it made Hisoka less scary. At least not to me, I love Nen! The Phantom Troupe are incredibly scary, and Hisoka is one of the strongest among them during the Yorknew arc!

While I was put off by Nen in the beginning, I thought how it was introduced was incredibly engaging and entertaining. I just worried what it would do to the story, it wasn't until Yorknew that I began to feel much much more comfortable with it. Now it's just a very accepted part of Hunter x Hunter to me, and explaining Nen and its mysteries is one way I was able to get a few friends excited to watch/read the series.

Still I enjoy how realistic the earlier arcs felt, but I consider Nen to be just a further explanation of things hinted at throughout the first two story arcs. And while power levels do exist, its well balanced for the most part (till NGL perhaps), but its not like my power is stronger then yours didn't exist during say Zoldyck arc or the Hunter Exam. Just look at Gon vs Hanzo, no strategy was going to make that fight easier for Gon to win.
 
Last edited:

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Moderator Notice:
I don't like the insistence to encourage users to not post here and post on wiki. Be warned.~ Uriel

Did Togashi had to add such a shonen cliche to his series?!
He added a lot of cliches just to deconstruct them later, so I don't mind. I also appreciate power systems because it make a good context to avoid stupid powerups. And to be fair Nen is the best system out there to make almost any power.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Togashi constructed nen in a way that it pretty much encompasses any type of power and gives way to much more complex and intricate battles. Of course not all battles are complex, some are straight up simple. But as with all things you need a balance. I appreciate the truly detailed and meticulously plotted battles and how strategy is just as important as strength. But I also appreciate the to the point battles that aren't so complicated.
 
Last edited:

fanatik

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2007
Messages
157
Reaction score
97
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Wow, the old anime got so thoroghly bashed a few pages back... I kinda don't understand that, honestly... I mean, I enjoy both versions, I enjoy the manga, and I really appreciate the fact that we have two very different interpretations of the same story. The dark and movie-like feeling of the York Shin arc that I liked about the old verion doesn't prevent me from appreciating the brighter color palette and closer sticking to the manga of the new series, or from being excited about the new take on my favorite arc, and, likewise, the liberties that were taken in the old series compared to the manga and the new series are absolutely not enough for me to start hating it. Both version had/have their flaws and things I'd want to be changed (but it's not happening, so no use crying about it too much, but just a little is OK;)) and strong points because perfection is unattainable, so I really don't see how you could just bash one version or the other...

And I find York Shin darker, more brutal and mature in comparison not only because the scale of disaster and killings skyrocketed (500 mafia people killed during the auction, countless numbers later), but also because York Shin had people like Kuroro and Shizuku and, to a lesser degree, Neon and Shalnark, and that's what I found the most terrifying (and enticing) aspect about it, psychology wise.

When you look at Uvogin or Nobunaga or Phinx, you're not surprised they're bandits, they look and act the part. But the members like Shizuku or Kuroro...
A quiet megane girl, a bit of a klutz, who is in no way looks evil or even malicious... yet is a member of the fearsome and notorious gang of bandits, cleans up messes of dead bodies on a regualr basis and can kill without batting an eye. A charming, attractive young man, calm, intelligent and rational, likeable and charismatic enough for people to take to him immediately, never gets angry, doesn't hate anyone and overall looks rather innocent (with his hair down, anyway)... but also happens to be the founder and the leader of the worst band of thieves and killers in existence, killing at the drop of a hat with the same soft smile and thinking nothing of wiping out a whole tribe village just for their eyes. That's 'appearances deceiving' taken to the new extreme right here.

As to the actual episode. No complains, I never was too keen on lots of explanations, but it wasn't boring to watch which is more than I could've wished for. The receptionist lady looked so completely exhaused and maltreated I felt for her. Always thought she should change jobs, asap.
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
Has anyone noticed that Wing used different kanji when he was explaining the Nen the first and the second time? I caught that when I was reading the manga when he asked Zushi to practice Ten and the kanji was different.




The fake ones



The real ones

 

Beans

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2012
Messages
188
Reaction score
243
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
Has anyone noticed that Wing used different kanji when he was explaining the Nen the first and the second time? I caught that when I was reading the manga when he asked Zushi to practice Ten and the kanji was different.




The fake ones



The real ones



 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ah the gimps. I like the gimps in the same sort of way I enjoy Tonpa. They're sneaky but overall pretty pathetic and petty. I hope this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGDDtMVhP34 (which seemed to play for a lot of Tonpa's underhanded moments) is used for these guys in Heaven's Arena.
 

there76

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
176
Reaction score
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hm, I wouldn't want it to get overused honestly. I've just noticed, it got played specifically for Tonpa a lot. it has this underhanded sneaky vibe to it. Which a lot of HxH villains do have. I think Genthru/Bomber would also be a good fit for this song, when he's explaining his powers to the other players for instance. Welfin is pretty sneaky, maybe during one of his internal monologues to become the shadow king, I could see that too. But it was one of my favorite tracks from the first soundtrack.
 

there76

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
176
Reaction score
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hm, I wouldn't want it to get overused honestly. I've just noticed, it got played specifically for Tonpa a lot. it has this underhanded sneaky vibe to it. Which a lot of HxH villains do have. I think Genthru/Bomber would also be a good fit for this song, when he's explaining his powers to the other players for instance. Welfin is pretty sneaky, maybe during one of his internal monologues to become the shadow king, I could see that too. But it was one of my favorite tracks from the first soundtrack.
I was only joking. >_>
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
whoops. I'm really curious about the new soundtracks now anyway. I saw that Chrollo, Hisoka, Nobunaga all have their own songs for the next arc. Nobunaga had an awesome theme song in the 1999 series! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsk9QkCSTbU
So I'm really curious what it will sound like now. It makes sense he has at least 1 or 2 themes during the Yorknew arc in both adaptations since he's the Phantom Troupe member Gon and Killua are forced to deal with the most.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lx06mHEGPk I hope we see elements of this song Genei no Banka used in some of the new tracks for the Yorknew arc too.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I want to know how everyone first felt about Nen. Because to be honest, I don't like it. Why? Because it took away the realism of the fights that we got in the first two arcs.

The fights and abilities were normal and had some realism in it, and it was a thing I liked about HxH. But now, it's going to be Nen vs Nen, a clash of super powers like any regular shonen, my power level is greater than yours, etc, and it took the mysterious, scary side from Hisoka and Illumi.

Did Togashi had to add such a shonen cliche to his series?!
Hunter x Hunter was never supposed to be realistic.

12 year old assassins who can rip out hearts is NOT realistic.

However HxH is able to make such unrealistic items believable.
Meaning that in the world of HxH 12 year old assassins makes sense.

If that's how you view nen then you don't seem to have a very good concept of it.

If you think introducing nen takes away the strategy you are VERY much mistaken.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Ah the gimps. I like the gimps in the same sort of way I enjoy Tonpa. They're sneaky but overall pretty pathetic and petty. I hope this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGDDtMVhP34 (which seemed to play for a lot of Tonpa's underhanded moments) is used for these guys in Heaven's Arena.
I think that song "stalking prey" would sound good for the following scenarios

1. Sadaso kidnapping Zushi

2. Killua spying on Kastro


and much later

3. Gon and Killua tracking Machi and Nobuanaga.

I always got a sorta spy thriller vibe from it. Not like a car chase scene. But something more like a spy sneaking into a highly guarded building without being detected. It sounds rather "low key" to me.
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It very much is a spy scene! They hired temps to steak out the situation and trailed them for a while, then had to wait some more while the tension builds. All the while they were secretly being tracked themselves by Phinx and Pakunoda.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal


I've always loved this guy's character design! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top