Discussion Hunter x Hunter Hangout [00]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I'd love it if Gon were to look similar to Berserker in Fate/Zero. Berserker looks like an armored knight which doesn't really have much to do with Gon's transformed state, but the former has this really crazy black aura and watching him go berserk (lol) reminds me a little of the latter. As long as Madhouse can pull off the crazyness/savagery of Gon's transformation I'll be happy. The only thing I really dislike about the transformation's design is how Gon's kid clothes end up looking on his grown self. The short shorts... o_O

By the way, I recommend watching Fate/Zero. It's a prequel to the visual novel/manga/anime Fate/Stay Night, but you really don't have to watch the sequel since the studio wanted the anime to work as a standa-lone show at the same time. It's a great show with spectacular production values and a pretty interesting plot and characters.
 
Last edited:

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

@TheAmericandream That is some beastly! fan art.
 

Naruto2011

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
1,725
Reaction score
706
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

oh yeaaaaa!! i completely forgot about post-nuke meruem. Im so dumb :P Yea id say he was stronger than Mega-Gon as well, because supposedly the more meruem eats or whatever the stronger he gets, which can be an endless cycle. Honestly im glad he went out with the rose because it would have been too cliche for some one to just powerup and beat him. Meruem was truly unbeatable at that point and the only way for him to go out would be the way he did. It still amazes me how futile netero's attacks were against him. He truly was a monster.

I wonder if all the zodiacs teamed up could they defeat meruem or post-nuke meruem, any thoughts on that?
 

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I don't know how strong all of the Zodiacs are but going by Hisoka's rating Piyon, Kanzai, and Ginta individually were all below Illumi. So if all of them are roughly around the same level... I doubt even all them together would stand much of chance against Meryem. He was casually flying around blowing hills up lol.

I left Ging, and Pariston out because they're not part of the Zodiacs anymore.
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Oh really, I have a friend into fate stay night, but the new series is a good jumping point for someone who wants to get into it? I'll give it a chance.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Truth be told I haven't even watched the original yet. A lot of people who played the visual novel seem to dislike the anime. I tried to play it but I couldn't install it properly :D.
 

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

"Tragic Heroine Figure"?!!

No wonder the fans couldn't tell Kurapika's gender if the director saw him as a "Heroine" and not a "Hero"! And that explains having things like this:

This pic is pretty much the reason why I keep thinking Kurapika is a girl when I was watching the 1999 anime.But this only extend to the hunter arc because at the Yorknew arc, he seem to act more like a "guy".(a overly emo one)

Togashi likes to troll. A staple of his work is androgynous characters. In YYH there is actually a fight in which Yusuke has to determine to gender of his opponent haha. I think Togashi views gender differently to most people. In his mind the walls of gender appear to be broken down, I find that to be an interesting aspect of his work.
Sorry but I gotta disagree with you for this statement.Trying to figure out a character gender is frustrating.It's like the author couldn't decide what gender he/she want the character to be and it's up to us to intercept.It's not at all interesting,it's trolling.I still don't know Alluka's gender!
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

This pic is pretty much the reason why I keep thinking Kurapika is a girl when I was watching the 1999 anime.But this only extend to the hunter arc because at the Yorknew arc, he seem to act more like a "guy".(a overly emo one)



Sorry but I gotta disagree with you for this statement.Trying to figure out a character gender is frustrating.It's like the author couldn't decide what gender he/she want the character to be and it's up to us to intercept.It's not at all interesting,it's trolling.I still don't know Alluka's gender!
I think what Togashi is trying to say with these types of characters is that gender doesnt matter. If Alluka was outright stated as his little sister you'd think differently of the character than if outright stated as his little brother wouldn't you? Togashi doesn't want the viewer to think of the character as a gender, more as a person exclusively. With Alluka, I feel he makes it vague to not allow the viewer to judge the relationship between Alluka and Killua depending upon the gender, more upon the fact that they are siblings, it doesn't matter whether Alluka is a boy or girl. The same can be said for the majority of other gender ambiguous characters, Togashi generally uses that anbiguity to stop the viewer from judging the character based upon gender. Hope that makes sense. Every Togashi Troll has a purpose, if it didn't Hunter x Hunter would be a horribly repulsive manga.
 

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

I think what Togashi is trying to say with these types of characters is that gender doesnt matter. If Alluka was outright stated as his little sister you'd think differently of the character than if outright stated as his little brother wouldn't you? Togashi doesn't want the viewer to think of the character as a gender, more as a person exclusively. With Alluka, I feel he makes it vague to not allow the viewer to judge the relationship between Alluka and Killua depending upon the gender, more upon the fact that they are siblings, it doesn't matter whether Alluka is a boy or girl. The same can be said for the majority of other gender ambiguous characters, Togashi generally uses that anbiguity to stop the viewer from judging the character based upon gender. Hope that makes sense. Every Togashi Troll has a purpose, if it didn't Hunter x Hunter would be a horribly repulsive manga.

I don't judge a character by his/her gender but more of their personality and action.If Alluka was a girl or a guy,alluka impression on me wouldn't make much difference .Being a guy that is feminine,I can accept that.Or being a girl,it's absolutely fine with me.At the end of the day,Alluka's personality is the one that is important.I would prefer if togashi outright say his/her gender and focus more developing his/her bland personality.Because it feels like he is distracting the reader with the whole gender issue.
 

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Anyone know Japanese?
 

chei

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
106
Reaction score
133
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

I don't judge a character by his/her gender but more of their personality and action.If Alluka was a girl or a guy,alluka impression on me wouldn't make much difference .Being a guy that is feminine,I can accept that.Or being a girl,it's absolutely fine with me.At the end of the day,Alluka's personality is the one that is important.I would prefer if togashi outright say his/her gender and focus more developing his/her bland personality.Because it feels like he is distracting the reader with the whole gender issue.
I suspect it's because Alluka is so bland personality wise that he/she needs the gender ambiguity gimmick and moe loll appeal to leave an impression. And it works, especially in these days and age. I thought it's lazy of Togashi in creating such character.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

I don't judge a character by his/her gender but more of their personality and action.If Alluka was a girl or a guy,alluka impression on me wouldn't make much difference .Being a guy that is feminine,I can accept that.Or being a girl,it's absolutely fine with me.At the end of the day,Alluka's personality is the one that is important.I would prefer if togashi outright say his/her gender and focus more developing his/her bland personality.Because it feels like he is distracting the reader with the whole gender issue.
Thats the thing, Togashi is highlighting how much we as people focus on gender. Why is it important to Alluka's characterisation? Sure it's annoying as when discussing it's hard because not sure whether to say 'he' or 'she', but the point is that gender doesn't matter, whether Alluka is a male or a female, what the Zoldycks did to Alluka was wrong. If Alluka was a male, people might look on it like how you view Killua's imprisonment in the Zoldyck arc, but if Alluka was a female, you would think of it as completely wrong as humans instinctively percieve women to be more fragile than men. Togashi isn't letting us decide. It's genius.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

I dunno I thought Killua's imprisonment was rather immoral.

But then again...they're assassins.
 

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

I suspect it's because Alluka is so bland personality wise that he/she needs the gender ambiguity gimmick and moe loll appeal to leave an impression. And it works, especially in these days and age. I thought it's lazy of Togashi in creating such character.
I do agree with what you say.At the beginning,Alluka was a cute adorable sibling who cling on Killua and most of the fans adore her/him because of that. I also fell for that trick.(The fanart of Alluka and Killua are abundant) But after a while,it wear off and you realise how bland his/her character is.(Oni-chan ,Killua-chan and etc is getting pretty annoying)I think it will be more interesting to see Alluka having grudge against the family for using his/her power like that and locking her/him so long. Initially,Togashi potray Alluka as a dangerous child and it turns out he/her is not at all dangerous and in fact can bypass all the pestering in granting a wish, which is a common plot technique.I would have prefer if he/her was as dangerous as said but then again it would have affected the Election arc...


Thats the thing, Togashi is highlighting how much we as people focus on gender. Why is it important to Alluka's characterisation? Sure it's annoying as when discussing it's hard because not sure whether to say 'he' or 'she', but the point is that gender doesn't matter, whether Alluka is a male or a female, what the Zoldycks did to Alluka was wrong. If Alluka was a male, people might look on it like how you view Killua's imprisonment in the Zoldyck arc, but if Alluka was a female, you would think of it as completely wrong as humans instinctively percieve women to be more fragile than men. Togashi isn't letting us decide. It's genius.
I don't want to argue or anything so I'll just leave it at that.Everyone has their own opinion on things.I already said what I wanted to earlier.
The Zoldyck ,to begin is a messed up family,whatever they do is always wrong.Look how messed up Illumi is.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

I dunno. I didn't have a problem with Alluka. Why would Alluka have a grudge anyways?
You saw all the toys didn't you? Alluka was clearly being spoiled probably so Alluka wouldn't
even think of a grudge. I'm quite certain that Alluka was unaware that Alluka was ever
being "imprisoned". Or even that Killua was "rescuing" Alluka. Alluka seemed pretty oblivious.
I mean you'd think Alluka would be kinda of pissed off at Killua. For quite a while Killua had
(thanks to Illumi's needle no doubt) completely forgot Alluka existed. Any normal person
would at the very least be upset about being ditched. But Alluka shows no sign of that.
And it's not like you can say that Alluka knew about Illumi's needle. Well maybe but I
seriously doubt it. Hell I doubt Milluki knew about it. Or possibly even Silva. I think that
was just Illumi's doing and possibly an order from Kikiyo. But anywho Alluka seemed like
Alluka was happy in Alluka's own little world.

I thought what was interesting about Alluka was when Alluka got angry at Killua
for making "It" cry. I thought this was interesting because don't people with
split personalities often NOT realize that they have a split personality?
I thought it was interesting that Alluka "got along" with "It". How does Alluka
even communicate with "It"? I like to know more about this. And I still think
that there is a reason why Killua won't use Alluka's powers beyond he
doesn't want to abuse Alluka. There is SOME kind of catch. We just don't know it yet.

Though a theory I have on Alluka and It.

I don't think "It" is a split personality.

"It" is a demon or a better yet a Jinn. Making Alluka a genie.
 

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

I dunno. I didn't have a problem with Alluka. Why would Alluka have a grudge anyways?
You saw all the toys didn't you? Alluka was clearly being spoiled probably so Alluka wouldn't
even think of a grudge. I'm quite certain that Alluka was unaware that Alluka was ever
being "imprisoned". Or even that Killua was "rescuing" Alluka. Alluka seemed pretty oblivious.
I mean you'd think Alluka would be kinda of pissed off at Killua. For quite a while Killua had
(thanks to Illumi's needle no doubt) completely forgot Alluka existed. Any normal person
would at the very least be upset about being ditched. But Alluka shows no sign of that.
And it's not like you can say that Alluka knew about Illumi's needle. Well maybe but I
seriously doubt it. Hell I doubt Milluki knew about it. Or possibly even Silva. I think that
was just Illumi's doing and possibly an order from Kikiyo. But anywho Alluka seemed like
Alluka was happy in Alluka's own little world.

I thought what was interesting about Alluka was when Alluka got angry at Killua
for making "It" cry. I thought this was interesting because don't people with
split personalities often NOT realize that they have a split personality
?
I thought it was interesting that Alluka "got along" with "It". How does Alluka
even communicate with "It"? I like to know more about this. And I still think
that there is a reason why Killua won't use Alluka's powers beyond he
doesn't want to abuse Alluka. There is SOME kind of catch. We just don't know it yet.

Though a theory I have on Alluka and It.

I don't think "It" is a split personality.

"It" is a demon or a better yet a Jinn. Making Alluka a genie.
Milluki knew about the needle in Killua head.He was talking about it with his parents when they were observing Alluka and Killua.

In a way,what you say is true.Alluka is probably one of the most saint,forgiving,oblivious and child-like innocent person despite having an atrocious ability.I'm pretty sure anyone who gets lock up in an enclosed place for too long will go crazy despite being pamper with luxuries.But this Alluka,so maybe it doesn't apply...

I have never met anyone who has split personality so I'm not sure.But in a manga I read,a character with split personality recognizes the other persona and can "communicate" with him. I'm also interested with the relationship of Alluka and nanika.Togashi might explain about it later on.

In a way,I do agree with your theory.As far as we know,nanika could be the only one with full access and control to the ability and Alluka can only just control it slightly.Nanika could be the one that "come from some dark, unknown place"...
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

Milluki knew about the needle in Killua head.He was talking about it with his parents when they were observing Alluka and Killua.

I stand corrected then.


In a way,what you say is true.Alluka is probably one of the most saint,forgiving,oblivious and child-like innocent person despite having an atrocious ability.I'm pretty sure anyone who gets lock up in an enclosed place for too long will go crazy despite being pamper with luxuries.But this Alluka,so maybe it doesn't apply...

Well in a sense Alluka IS crazy. Actually that Alluka doesn't seem to give a crap is evidence of that.

I have never met anyone who has split personality so I'm not sure.But in a manga I read,a character with split personality recognizes the other persona and can "communicate" with him. I'm also interested with the relationship of Alluka and nanika.Togashi might explain about it later on.

Me neither. At least not that I know of. But from what I heard it's usually that the person is unaware of their alternative personality.

In a way,I do agree with your theory.As far as we know,nanika could be the only one with full access and control to the ability and Alluka can only just control it slightly.Nanika could be the one that "come from some dark, unknown place"...
It would be an interesting way to bring the spirit world into HxH.

Hell Togashi can use it as an excuse to do a HxH and YYH crossover. :)
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Hey guys, found a very cool fan made Chimera Ants OP video. Check it out:
http://youtu.be/xQQMAseLhII

Really well done in my opinion.
 

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

^That's an awesome fan made opening.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top