Discussion Hunter x Hunter Hangout [00]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Van Burace

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 23, 2006
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
2,325
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

The name of the Zodiacs aren't the ones they're called for. They have a real name, so likely some of them had a part in making GI.

They never participated on the Ant arc as Netero wanted to do this by himself, and likely wanted to die fighting a worthy opponent.

I feel that Novu and Morau are like pre-Zodiacs. Kite should have been somewhat on that level as well. It's like they would be the imediate lower step after the Zodiacs, and Zodiacs would be the imediate lower step from the chairman.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

The zodiac has a too strong general dislike of ging IMO, I doubt they would involve themselves with him for something as massive as greed island.
 

Jack Van Burace

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 23, 2006
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
2,325
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

But who said it was Gin's project? Greed Island had Gin's contribution, but not necessarily was organized by him. GI could be a project from a more charismatic Zodiac and he entered in it as well. I don't see a problem in him taking part in something, as he is already a part of the election, the zodiac, and whatever else he feels interested into.

Imo, the real names of the Zodiacs have starting letters that appear on Greed Island's name. And their nicknames are exactly Togashi's strategy so we won't discover which did what.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Greed_Island

Here is the list of the people who represent the greed island letters. I, S, A, N and D are the missing letters basically. There are no Is in the names of the zodiac, you got 3 Ss and no A, N or D. I guess one of the 3 Ss there could be about someone in there but it is very it was one of them considering everything. Even if we go by animals (which is even more unlikely) there would only be snake, dragon, dog and sheep. I really doubt the zodiac were involved in this.
 

Jack Van Burace

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 23, 2006
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
2,325
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Here is the list of the people who represent the greed island letters. I, S, A, N and D are the missing letters basically. There are no Is in the names of the zodiac, you got 3 Ss and no A, N or D. I guess one of the 3 Ss there could be about someone in there but it is very it was one of them considering everything. Even if we go by animals (which is even more unlikely) there would only be snake, dragon, dog and sheep. I really doubt the zodiac were involved in this.
If Gin is an exception, he shouldn't be called Boar, and yet he was, so this means he is an exception at changing his name, just like Pariston. Netero didn't just gave them animals, he gave them those names they're using as well. Only Gin and Pariston are using their real names.

For every Zodiac, getting a nick isn't only getting an animal, but they are not using their real names either. Netero gave them those related to their animals (Kuroko is clearly the sound that Chickens make). And in GI, the real ones are likely the ones used. So it is still possible that their initials are part of GI's name.
 
Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I don't think the names we were shown were actually fake. And who is to say kuroko was not named rooster due to her name to begin with? I also see no indication that they changed their actual names. Not all of their names related to their animal either for us to assume they actually changed them.
 

Jack Van Burace

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 23, 2006
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
2,325
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

We have to assume they changed because Gin and Pariston are the exceptions to Netero's nicknames, and yet they have an animal related to them just like the rest of them. The only exception they can be is the name change. The other names might not be so obvious to us, but Piyon surely rings a bell related to rabbits, I just can't make the connection right now. Sacho as well. Perhaps if we look deeply we'll find their names have all a relationship, but the main suspicion is the "exception" that Togashi wrote underneath their names.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

^Ging and pariston are exceptions to zodiacs changing their name and personality to match their animal. Nowhere was it said they also changed their name.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

They never participated on the Ant arc as Netero wanted to do this by himself, and likely wanted to die fighting a worthy opponent.

I feel that Novu and Morau are like pre-Zodiacs. Kite should have been somewhat on that level as well. It's like they would be the imediate lower step after the Zodiacs, and Zodiacs would be the imediate lower step from the chairman.
Hmm sounds fair... So you think Netero entered the Ant mission as a sort of suicide? Like he wanted to rest already since he was a million years old and thought he would not get this chance to fight an opponent as strong as that?

What are your opinions about Kaito though? I never really thought too highly of him... Maybe just at the same level as Knuckle and Shoot... I thought Gon was overreacting and I could not really feel the bond they had, which is probably what Killua was feeling too- He couldn't understand why Kaito seemed more important to Gon than he was... :/
 

Phantron

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
797
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Hmm sounds fair... So you think Netero entered the Ant mission as a sort of suicide? Like he wanted to rest already since he was a million years old and thought he would not get this chance to fight an opponent as strong as that?

What are your opinions about Kaito though? I never really thought too highly of him... Maybe just at the same level as Knuckle and Shoot... I thought Gon was overreacting and I could not really feel the bond they had, which is probably what Killua was feeling too- He couldn't understand why Kaito seemed more important to Gon than he was... :/
From the flashback, Netero has never fought anyone who is as strong as him since he entered his prime. I don't think he was purposely trying to die but it's just an option he had to resort to due to the nature of his enemy.

Kite is basically an older brother or even a father to Gon. It's not clear why he has a bond like that since they only met like 2 days before the reunion, but it's supposed to be there.
 

ish3

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Messages
455
Reaction score
143
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

To me it's clear Kaito is to Gon like Shanks is to Luffy. They're mentors. The time they spent with this people made them solidify their goals and go after these dreams.
 

lan2cp

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
278
Reaction score
69
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

To me it's clear Kaito is to Gon like Shanks is to Luffy. They're mentors. The time they spent with this people made them solidify their goals and go after these dreams.
I agree with you, but also I think that the strongest reason for his actions is that Gon blames himself for Kaito's death. To Gon, Kaito died because Gon was there and wasn't strong enough to defend himself. Gon further back this up when he says, "Don't worry Killua, I'm ok. Now I'm the same as Kaito", when Pitou rips his arm off and the thoughts he has when Pitou says that he cant heal Kaito.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

From the flashback, Netero has never fought anyone who is as strong as him since he entered his prime. I don't think he was purposely trying to die but it's just an option he had to resort to due to the nature of his enemy.
I understand. What I'm wondering about though, is that why Netero did not choose stronger accomplices to carry out this task with more chances of success.

When he scoped out the level of the opponents and the rate at which they evolved, and the plan he learned about ten days prior, he could have had enough time to summon even Gin... to help him with this mission. So why rely on mere apprentices like Gon, Killua, Knuckle and Shoot? Sure he hired Zeno, but other than that...? Unless he really wanted to die?

But his resolution to die, might be understandable since he's old. But to involve the kids and he knew they could die, when he could have chosen stronger hunters with higher chances of survival- is what I am not seeing in the motives here.
 

Jack Van Burace

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 23, 2006
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
2,325
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

^Ging and pariston are exceptions to zodiacs changing their name and personality to match their animal. Nowhere was it said they also changed their name.
If they didn't change their name, and are an exception because of that, the others did. So those weren't their real names (the others', not Gin and Pariston ones), and the actual names could be on GI's initials...
 
Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

If they didn't change their name, and are an exception because of that, the others did. So those weren't their real names (the others', not Gin and Pariston ones), and the actual names could be on GI's initials...
I phrased that poorly. Anyways, the manga did not say the zodiacs changed their name at any point, just their appearance and personality.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

I understand. What I'm wondering about though, is that why Netero did not choose stronger accomplices to carry out this task with more chances of success.

When he scoped out the level of the opponents and the rate at which they evolved, and the plan he learned about ten days prior, he could have had enough time to summon even Gin... to help him with this mission. So why rely on mere apprentices like Gon, Killua, Knuckle and Shoot? Sure he hired Zeno, but other than that...? Unless he really wanted to die?

But his resolution to die, might be understandable since he's old. But to involve the kids and he knew they could die, when he could have chosen stronger hunters with higher chances of survival- is what I am not seeing in the motives here.
Ultimately the issue here is that netero wanted his fight. He clearly is not a person prone to common sense. If the whole thing had been carried out with common sense they would have mobilized at least twice as many hunters (and high level ones at that) to neutralize the royal guard and set up something to assassinate the king before he could even fight. Odds are netero being capable of carrying this out in this particular way is also due to pariston. I would find it very probable that he would allow for netero's recklessness so that he could take over sooner. As fro involving the rest, I think he simply trusted them. Morel mentioned his view of trusting someone with a job and that being part of being professional. Netero probably did not even view gon and killua as actual kids but rather professional fighters willing to do what they had to do regardless of what netero might want. I don't think netero wanted to die (he certainly wanted to win the fight) but in turn getting more people involved would have perhaps made his chance to get the epic fight he wanted smaller. If the zodiac are as devote to him as it was said I doubt they would have allowed him to put a nuke near to his heart. Still, the plan with which they came up with was in principle good. Morel traps pufu, knuckle and co (they are at least mid-high level hunters anyways) handle yupi and netero and zeno make sure to take the king away to a distant location. Between netero and zeno pulling off such a thing would not be unlikely.
 

Host Samurai

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
1,367
Reaction score
677
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

What are your opinions about Kaito though? I never really thought too highly of him... Maybe just at the same level as Knuckle and Shoot... I thought Gon was overreacting and I could not really feel the bond they had, which is probably what Killua was feeling too- He couldn't understand why Kaito seemed more important to Gon than he was... :/
Well, I always thought that Kaito is a mix of an older brother type character to Gon and is what Rukia is to Ichigo, the one responsible who opened him a door to another world. Because of that he has a special place in Gon's heart and that is something what Killua can't understand because Gon is his very first friend.

In addition we never knew of how long Kaito stayed in Whale Island it could be more then days, weeks, etc. That's why I think that their relationship is even deeper then the flashback might suggest, to me it was more then obvious that their relationship couldn't be superficial.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I have a question about Gon and Killua's ages.

I can't remember if at the start of the series Gon was 10 or 12? Because he seems to be 12 forever? I always thought he started out 12 years old. So when I saw Killua in the ant arc "developing" I thought, wow, they've really grown, and it's what, 2 years since their first hunter exam? So I thought it was only right that he looked like that because he was already 14 or so. But then when Gon was hospitalized at the end of the arc the doctor said "A boy of 12"...

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

and does anybody have an idea how old Kurapica is?

I'd ask about Hisoka but then I realized, people who practice Nen just seem kinda immortalized and keep young- probably because of the balance that Nen practice provides :/
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Well, I just checked from volume one, and there Killua asks Gons age, to which he replies almost 12. To which Killua replies me too. The hunter exam is held once a year, so by the time Greed Island ended, Gon should have been "almost 13", the happenings of Ant Arc took, what, 1 or 2 months if I recall correctly? So makes sense that Gon is still 12, but almost 13. Well chronologically it matches, not commenting on wheter their developement or behaviour makes sense with the age (I think it works).

Wiki says Kurapika is 17, though I don't recall that being mentioned in the manga. Databook maybe? All I remember, that Leorio said he was 19, which suprised both Gon and Killua, who asumed he was lot older. Kurapika wanted to stay out of it.
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Another random thing.

Because of the training Gon and Killua undergo, don't you think their bodies would have stunted growth or something? But I'm not expecting manga to stick to reality but it was just a thought, hehe.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I just had to


If I happen to disappear soon, you might asume Pariston saw this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top