Hangout Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [02]

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,533
Reaction score
21,647
Gender
Female
Country
China
Y'all ain't reading online? lol come now
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

And also I think that's a poor take and way too generous of a defence of the two I quoted.

For one, a 'demand' doesn't have to be effective or enforceable to be a demand; it is simply the form of the request or opinion that makes something (sound) demanding. Ofc you have the right to express things, but if it's sth questionable others will make use of the same right to point out it's a bad take no? Just because you can say it, doesn't mean you should. And if you do, doesn't mean it's fine because you were allowed to

Lastly, since you're buying discrete products (individual manga), you're free to stop supporting the author by not purchasing their goods anymore right? There goes the business
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
most of these people (aka us fans) have bought the authors' work
At least in the West, this just isn't true for many series, especially HxH.
 

Nobody12

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 23, 2020
Messages
31
Reaction score
29
Country
Italy
Y'all ain't reading online? lol come now
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

And also I think that's a poor take and way too generous of a defence of the two I quoted.

For one, a 'demand' doesn't have to be effective or enforceable to be a demand; it is simply the form of the request or opinion that makes something (sound) demanding. Ofc you have the right to express things, but if it's sth questionable others will make use of the same right to point out it's a bad take no? Just because you can say it, doesn't mean you should. And if you do, doesn't mean it's fine because you were allowed to

Lastly, since you're buying discrete products (individual manga), you're free to stop supporting the author by not purchasing their goods anymore right? There goes the business

:coolstory
 

uberfayt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2013
Messages
1,277
Reaction score
6,080
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
And also I think that's a poor take and way too generous of a defence of the two I quoted.
I don't think so.
That is my opinion in general, not a defense btw.

For one, a 'demand' doesn't have to be effective or enforceable to be a demand; it is simply the form of the request or opinion that makes something (sound) demanding
Yes, which is why personally I do not see the harm in it.

Lastly, since you're buying discrete products (individual manga), you're free to stop supporting the author by not purchasing their goods anymore right? There goes the business
This one would gladly discuss someday over a cup of tea ^^
 

Phaizzy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2020
Messages
753
Reaction score
550
Age
33
Country
United States
No matter how much you love HxH, you have no business being this small-minded, entitled or demanding, nor is it sensible to talk about what he should be doing when it is his health and creative property
O_O
Small-Minded, Entitled or demanding...... Lol

you didnt even answer my question... does the creator of hxh have an illness.. From my observation of the past.. is that he doesnt feel the same for the manga that he used to.. nobody saying he SHOULD do anything... though if I did say it then what? I can say whatever I want. I said sometimes i WISH authors who dont plan on continuing a manga to simply give us some information... this has shit to do with him being "Sick" . Which he has very bad chronic back pain..

calm your ego... Without people who are dedicated to the manga, the author wouldnt be where they are at.. yall need to realize that we dont work for them. so i can express whatever and however. now kindly move along.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Dude, you are talking like he owes you something i mean what in the world? This is the longest hiatus but we are in a worldwide pandemic, he is old, he doesn't have to put himself on any sort of risk. The dragon quest thing is a meme. He has back pain issues, which doesn't let him be sitting for a long time and in case you didn't know drawing takes a LOT of sitting time.
The guy gave us one of the best shonen manga EVER, the best arc in shonen history and people have the audacity to complain about him, he's been doing this since before you were born............
Man... some of you guys clearly dont read... Let me help you guys a bit..

1.) An artist is only where they are because of their fans and audience. Be it rappers, politicians, entertainers.. So while i never said he OWE me anything.. its because people like ME who care about the art is why they are able to make money.. because people like me who BUY the issues, who buy the merchant.. please miss me with that ignorance.

2.)Dragon quest isnt a meme.. if you was a true HXH fan you would know whenever a new dragon quest came out he takes haituses.

3.) You clearly dont know how to separate the art from the artist and it shows. I can walk the manga to continue and want the best for the creator.. saying that he created the best manga ever... you are judging an incomplete art and claiming it the best... okay buddy. Please stop assuming that because I care about a manga i have to in return like the author...

4.) Read... its fundamental to everyday life... I said sometimes I wish they would answer questions... didnt know writing = talking.. All those questions i put was more so talking out loud and totally unrelated to his health.. Some of you kids concern me for the youth.
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,533
Reaction score
21,647
Gender
Female
Country
China
you didnt even answer my question... does the creator of hxh have an illness.. From my observation of the past.. is that he doesnt feel the same for the manga that he used to.. nobody saying he SHOULD do anything... though if I did say it then what? I can say whatever I want. I said sometimes i WISH authors who dont plan on continuing a manga to simply give us some information... this has shit to do with him being "Sick" . Which he has very bad chronic back pain..
Hm alright but what observations though? What are you basing this on? .-.
 

uberfayt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2013
Messages
1,277
Reaction score
6,080
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I wish Togashi had some sort of communication means with his fans, I always said that. Forget the hiatus, it's this silence and lack of news that I don't like.

2.)Dragon quest isnt a meme.. if you was a true HXH fan you would know whenever a new dragon quest came out he takes haituses.
Are you trying to say that he takes Hiatuses to play the game? Your statement doesn't prove anything.
 

Phaizzy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2020
Messages
753
Reaction score
550
Age
33
Country
United States
I wish Togashi had some sort of communication means with his fans, I always said that. Forget the hiatus, it's this silence and lack of news that I don't like.



Are you trying to say that he takes Hiatuses to play the game? Your statement doesn't prove anything.
In the past.. Yes... thats what im saying.. He never outright stated this but it was a trend that majority of people notice. when a new dragon quest came out in the past he took very long breaks and he has joked about it several times. Do I care? No.. They are human like the rest of us. My confusion came from if he was really sick or is this something that you guys heard years ago and ran with it.. if his sickness was long term or not.. I had to do some digging myself and found out it was more of an illness (chronic back pain)

THAT being said... those questions i asked wasnt more of "He needs to answer these questions because we deserve it" but more of a "Damn.... I would really like to know the answer to these questions in simple answers since the chance of him finishing this show is very unlikely" Like you guys said hes old and he isnt in the best shape. totally unrelated to his health, Just because he is sick doesnt mean I have to throw all my wants regarding something he creates away. Simple.. You guys came at me guns blazing and didnt even understand my post.. Thats similar to ODA.. If oda developed a sickness... people not going to be like.. damn.. Now that ODA is sick I dont want to know about what one piece is... I can still wish oda the best and still want to know... thats simply all im saying.. there is no point to prove.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
2.)Dragon quest isnt a meme.. if you was a true HXH fan you would know whenever a new dragon quest came out he takes haituses.
"True" HxH fan here. It's very much a meme, and by that I mean the people who think that it's the main reason for the hiatuses. It's the same with Miura and Idolmaster. A joke that many know is a joke, but over time, more and more have come to believe it's actually true.

And afaik, the only time he's mentioned it his 390 author comments was a handful of comments in 2010 when he talked about playing DQ IX. So I have no clue where you're getting the "he's joked about it several times" unless that's what you meant.

Also, to quickly disprove that those line up:

DQ IX released July 11, 2009 in Japan. He said he started playing it on February 15, 2010 (when he was releasing a set of 20 chapters).

Worth noting too that he mentioned playing Resident Evil 2 in his author comment for... chapter 5! Hey, where are the RE memes?
 

Kanmuru

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
515
Reaction score
743
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
2.)Dragon quest isnt a meme.. if you was a true HXH fan you would know whenever a new dragon quest came out he takes haituses.
I can't believe i'm reading this.
 

uberfayt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2013
Messages
1,277
Reaction score
6,080
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Im happy he doesnt have, coz he would be constantly insulted or bullied to death.
Doesn't have to be through social media. He could give signs of life through his editor or via an author comments in shonen jump (which did happen at some point if I'm not mistaken).
 

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
6,522
Reaction score
61,092
Gender
Female
Country
The Wall
Doesn't have to be through social media. He could give signs of life through his editor or via an author comments in shonen jump (which did happen at some point if I'm not mistaken).
There are occasionally.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

posting that so people understand a little more about author/artists circcunstances, that applies for Togashi even more considering his health issues.

source : https://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html



Hi Neil,

I've recently subscribed to George RR Martin's blog (http://grrm.livejournal.com/) in the hopes of getting some inside information regarding when the next "Song of Ice and Fire" book is due to be released. I love the series but since subscribing to the blog I've become increasingly frustrated with Martin's lack of communication on the next novel's publication date. In fact, it's almost as though he is doing everything in his power to avoid working on his latest novel. Which poses a few questions:

1. With blogs and twitter and other forms of social media do you think the audience has too much input when it comes to scrutinising the actions of an artist? If you had announced a new book two years ago and were yet to deliver do you think avoiding the topic on your blog would lead readers to believe you were being "slack"? By blogging about your work and life do you have more of a responsibility to deliver on your commitments?

2. When writing a series of books, like Martin is with "A Song of Ice and Fire" what responsibility does he have to finish the story? Is it unrealistic to think that by not writing the next chapter Martin is letting me down, even though if and when the book gets written is completely up to him?


Would be very interested in your insight.

Cheers
Gareth



My opinion....

1) No.

2) Yes, it's unrealistic of you to think George is "letting you down".

Look, this may not be palatable, Gareth, and I keep trying to come up with a better way to put it, but the simplicity of things, at least from my perspective is this:

George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.

This is a useful thing to know, perhaps a useful thing to point out when you find yourself thinking that possibly George is, indeed, your bitch, and should be out there typing what you want to read right now.

People are not machines. Writers and artists aren't machines.

You're complaining about George doing other things than writing the books you want to read as if your buying the first book in the series was a contract with him: that you would pay over your ten dollars, and George for his part would spend every waking hour until the series was done, writing the rest of the books for you.

No such contract existed. You were paying your ten dollars for the book you were reading, and I assume that you enjoyed it because you want to know what happens next
.

It seems to me that the biggest problem with series books is that either readers complain that the books used to be good but that somewhere in the effort to get out a book every year the quality has fallen off, or they complain that the books, although maintaining quality, aren't coming out on time.

Both of these things make me glad that I am not currently writing a series, and make me even gladder that the decade that I did write series things, in Sandman, I was young, driven, a borderline workaholic, and very fortunate. (and even then, towards the end, I was taking five weeks to write a monthly comic, with all the knock-on problems in deadlines that you would expect from that).

For me, I would rather read a good book, from a contented author. I don't really care what it takes to produce that.

Some writers need a while to charge their batteries, and then write their books very rapidly. Some writers write a page or so every day, rain or shine. Some writers run out of steam, and need to do whatever it is they happen to do until they're ready to write again. Sometimes writers haven't quite got the next book in a series ready in their heads, but they have something else all ready instead, so they write the thing that's ready to go, prompting cries of outrage from people who want to know why the author could possibly write Book X while the fans were waiting for Book Y.


I remember hearing an upset comics editor telling a roomful of other editors about a comics artist who had taken a few weeks off to paint his house. The editor pointed out, repeatedly, that for the money the artist would have been paid for those weeks' work he could easily have afforded to hire someone to paint his house, and made money too. And I thought, but did not say, “But what if he wanted to paint his house?”

I blew a deadline recently. Terminally blew it. First time in 25 years I've sighed and said, “I can't do this, and you won't get your story.” It was already late, I was under a bunch of deadline pressure, my father died, and suddenly the story, too, was dead on the page. I liked the voice it was in, but it wasn't working, and eventually, rather than drive the editors and publishers mad waiting for a story that wasn't going to come, I gave up on it and apologised, worried that I could no longer write fiction.

I turned my attention to the next deadline waiting – a script. It flowed easily and delightfully, was the most fun I've had writing anything in ages, all the characters did exactly what I had hoped they would do, and the story was better than I had dared to hope.

Sometimes it happens like that. You don't choose what will work. You simply do the best you can each time. And you try to do what you can to increase the likelihood that good art will be created.

And sometimes, and it's as true of authors as it is of readers, you have a life. People in your world get sick or die. You fall in love, or out of love. You move house. Your aunt comes to stay. You agreed to give a talk half-way around the world five years ago, and suddenly you realise that that talk is due now. Your last book comes out and the critics vociferously hated it and now you simply don't feel like writing another. Your cat learns to levitate and the matter must be properly documented and investigated. There are deer in the apple orchard. A thunderstorm fries your hard disk and fries the backup drive as well...

And life is a good thing for a writer. It's where we get our raw material, for a start. We quite like to stop and watch it.

The economics of scale for a writer mean that very few of us can afford to write 5,000 page books and then break them up and publish them annually once they are done. So writers with huge stories, or ones that, as Sandman did, grow in the telling, are going to write them and have them published as they go along.

And if you are waiting for a new book in a long ongoing series, whether from George or from Pat Rothfuss or from someone else...

Wait. Read the original book again. Read something else. Get on with your life. Hope that the author is writing the book you want to read, and not dying, or something equally as dramatic. And if he paints the house, that's fine.

And Gareth, in the future, when you see other people complaining that George R.R. Martin has been spotted doing something other than writing the book they are waiting for, explain to them, more politely than I did the first time, the simple and unanswerable truth: George R. R. Martin is not working for you.

Hope that helps.




Just replace each "George R.R. Martin" occurence by "Togashi". Seriously im tired with the whole Dq memes, please, move on ! HxH is a masterpiece , but theres plenty amazing mangas which deserved to be read, take advantage of your waiting time, to read other things. or reread HxH, but please stop bashing Togashi.
 

Phaizzy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2020
Messages
753
Reaction score
550
Age
33
Country
United States
There are occasionally.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

posting that so people understand a little more about author/artists circcunstances, that applies for Togashi even more considering his health issues.

source : https://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html



Hi Neil,

I've recently subscribed to George RR Martin's blog (http://grrm.livejournal.com/) in the hopes of getting some inside information regarding when the next "Song of Ice and Fire" book is due to be released. I love the series but since subscribing to the blog I've become increasingly frustrated with Martin's lack of communication on the next novel's publication date. In fact, it's almost as though he is doing everything in his power to avoid working on his latest novel. Which poses a few questions:

1. With blogs and twitter and other forms of social media do you think the audience has too much input when it comes to scrutinising the actions of an artist? If you had announced a new book two years ago and were yet to deliver do you think avoiding the topic on your blog would lead readers to believe you were being "slack"? By blogging about your work and life do you have more of a responsibility to deliver on your commitments?

2. When writing a series of books, like Martin is with "A Song of Ice and Fire" what responsibility does he have to finish the story? Is it unrealistic to think that by not writing the next chapter Martin is letting me down, even though if and when the book gets written is completely up to him?


Would be very interested in your insight.

Cheers
Gareth



My opinion....

1) No.

2) Yes, it's unrealistic of you to think George is "letting you down".

Look, this may not be palatable, Gareth, and I keep trying to come up with a better way to put it, but the simplicity of things, at least from my perspective is this:

George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.

This is a useful thing to know, perhaps a useful thing to point out when you find yourself thinking that possibly George is, indeed, your bitch, and should be out there typing what you want to read right now.

People are not machines. Writers and artists aren't machines.

You're complaining about George doing other things than writing the books you want to read as if your buying the first book in the series was a contract with him: that you would pay over your ten dollars, and George for his part would spend every waking hour until the series was done, writing the rest of the books for you.

No such contract existed. You were paying your ten dollars for the book you were reading, and I assume that you enjoyed it because you want to know what happens next
.

It seems to me that the biggest problem with series books is that either readers complain that the books used to be good but that somewhere in the effort to get out a book every year the quality has fallen off, or they complain that the books, although maintaining quality, aren't coming out on time.

Both of these things make me glad that I am not currently writing a series, and make me even gladder that the decade that I did write series things, in Sandman, I was young, driven, a borderline workaholic, and very fortunate. (and even then, towards the end, I was taking five weeks to write a monthly comic, with all the knock-on problems in deadlines that you would expect from that).

For me, I would rather read a good book, from a contented author. I don't really care what it takes to produce that.

Some writers need a while to charge their batteries, and then write their books very rapidly. Some writers write a page or so every day, rain or shine. Some writers run out of steam, and need to do whatever it is they happen to do until they're ready to write again. Sometimes writers haven't quite got the next book in a series ready in their heads, but they have something else all ready instead, so they write the thing that's ready to go, prompting cries of outrage from people who want to know why the author could possibly write Book X while the fans were waiting for Book Y.


I remember hearing an upset comics editor telling a roomful of other editors about a comics artist who had taken a few weeks off to paint his house. The editor pointed out, repeatedly, that for the money the artist would have been paid for those weeks' work he could easily have afforded to hire someone to paint his house, and made money too. And I thought, but did not say, “But what if he wanted to paint his house?”

I blew a deadline recently. Terminally blew it. First time in 25 years I've sighed and said, “I can't do this, and you won't get your story.” It was already late, I was under a bunch of deadline pressure, my father died, and suddenly the story, too, was dead on the page. I liked the voice it was in, but it wasn't working, and eventually, rather than drive the editors and publishers mad waiting for a story that wasn't going to come, I gave up on it and apologised, worried that I could no longer write fiction.

I turned my attention to the next deadline waiting – a script. It flowed easily and delightfully, was the most fun I've had writing anything in ages, all the characters did exactly what I had hoped they would do, and the story was better than I had dared to hope.

Sometimes it happens like that. You don't choose what will work. You simply do the best you can each time. And you try to do what you can to increase the likelihood that good art will be created.

And sometimes, and it's as true of authors as it is of readers, you have a life. People in your world get sick or die. You fall in love, or out of love. You move house. Your aunt comes to stay. You agreed to give a talk half-way around the world five years ago, and suddenly you realise that that talk is due now. Your last book comes out and the critics vociferously hated it and now you simply don't feel like writing another. Your cat learns to levitate and the matter must be properly documented and investigated. There are deer in the apple orchard. A thunderstorm fries your hard disk and fries the backup drive as well...

And life is a good thing for a writer. It's where we get our raw material, for a start. We quite like to stop and watch it.

The economics of scale for a writer mean that very few of us can afford to write 5,000 page books and then break them up and publish them annually once they are done. So writers with huge stories, or ones that, as Sandman did, grow in the telling, are going to write them and have them published as they go along.

And if you are waiting for a new book in a long ongoing series, whether from George or from Pat Rothfuss or from someone else...

Wait. Read the original book again. Read something else. Get on with your life. Hope that the author is writing the book you want to read, and not dying, or something equally as dramatic. And if he paints the house, that's fine.

And Gareth, in the future, when you see other people complaining that George R.R. Martin has been spotted doing something other than writing the book they are waiting for, explain to them, more politely than I did the first time, the simple and unanswerable truth: George R. R. Martin is not working for you.

Hope that helps.




Just replace each "George R.R. Martin" occurence by "Togashi". Seriously im tired with the whole Dq memes, please, move on ! HxH is a masterpiece , but theres plenty amazing mangas which deserved to be read, take advantage of your waiting time, to read other things. or reread HxH, but please stop bashing Togashi.
Man... This place has to be full of selective readers... Who is Bashing Togashi?
1.) Even if i was to say his sickness doesnt concern me thats not bashing him.. Thats simply being selfish
2.) How is voicing how I feel wasting time on the manga? Lol by that logic that mean you wasted as much time responding as I did typing.

You guys need to stop acting like you are the holy grail of all holy. Im not going to do research for nobody. Google is free. DQ isnt a meme and to the above about RE.. if he took a break then, then that further proves my point. My initial post was asking was he really sick and cry babies started pecking. Some of you guys need to understand that as a reader I am Entitled to an opinion.. and I am entitled to said Opinion without directly being concerned about Togashi. Simple. Not saying thats the case here but If I have questions about HxH and express that without expressing my best wishes for him then I can do that, and people like you guys dont need to police that. As long as im not bashing him then you and several other people who been crying about my comment can ignore me.. Crazy how we live in 2021 and people have yet learned to fully comprehend a simple message.
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,533
Reaction score
21,647
Gender
Female
Country
China
You want your space to say questionable unfounded things, and some, in turn, will respond.

It's not policing, it's disagreeing with the form and content of your comments
 

Phaizzy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2020
Messages
753
Reaction score
550
Age
33
Country
United States
You want your space to say questionable unfounded things, and some, in turn, will respond.

It's not policing, it's disagreeing with the form and content of your comments
You read what I wrote to respond, and to not understand. I made several post stating the purpose of my post. If you dont want to understand it then it is what it is. I simply posted in a HxH thread .. didnt expect toxic people to respond.

What I said was nothing to agree or disagree with.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I just want the anime to come back. I only read manga cause I wanna see the current events, I’ve always been more an anime guy. I think it does more justice than manga itself, that’s just me. Wish Togashi would just be “lead supervisor” or “scriptwriter” and go from there
 
Top