Hangout - Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [02] | Page 58 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [02]

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Are there hunters without Nen?

I mean, i know the secret exam obviously, which makes you a true hunter. But lets look at it from the perspective of someone who took the exam. You got a hunter's license right there.
Even if you fail to acquire Nen, what happens? Will some Nenmaster like Wing take your license from you? Is that failproof? I mean, you could even sell your license and a person who gets it could legitimately claim to be a hunter, as there is (to my knowledge) no way to verify whether you got your license legitimately.

But if that is the case, shouldn't there be droves of people claiming to be hunters who do not have Nen? That would actually make a lot of sense to me, as we know of events like "100 blacklist hunters attacking zoldyek mansion and being destroyed by Canary". Canary is strong, but I doubt she is at the level to defeat 100 Nenusers that attack her headon.
It would make a lot of sense if large groups like that were people who passed the hunter exam but not the hidden exam. I also assume that lots of pariston's "temphunters" might be people who cannot use Nen, which would also make sense because Hisoka decimated about 100 of them along with Illumi.
Now, again, don't get me wrong, but we are not talking about a forest situation where they can take them off one after another, but a head on fight 100 to 1.
Not even Netero just went alone against the (at that point Nenless) Chimera ants but used Morel and Knove for backup.

After all, even a weak rookie Nenuser can have troublesome abilities, that is a plotpoint in the latest arc too (butlers possibly gaining an ability that can be hard to deal with).

So ya, personally I think many hunters dont have Nen and just think they are fullblow hunters.

uberfayt

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Are there hunters without Nen?
Apart from temp hunters, no, I don't think there are. It is stated in the hunter bylaws that the minimum strength requirement to be a full-fledged hunter is to have nen. I think all hunters who passed the exam end up developing their nen.

Even if you fail to acquire Nen, what happens? Will some Nenmaster like Wing take your license from you? Is that failproof? I mean, you could even sell your license and a person who gets it could legitimately claim to be a hunter, as there is (to my knowledge) no way to verify whether you got your license legitimately.
But can any pro hunter really fail to acquire nen? The answer is no imo, and here is why:

We have seen that newbie hunters who don't have nen are given teachers (sooner or later) and are closely monitored by the association. So, even if someone struggles to open their aura nodes via the normal method, his teacher can just force them open via some form of baptism. But anyone who passes the exam should be someone out of the ordinary, so they should get the hang of nen.

Moreover, looking at the current arc, Kurapika is about to unlock the nen of a bunch of "normal" people with no particular talent, in less than a month! So if even house maids can develop nen, then someone who passed the hunter exam can most definitely too.

However, I do believe that a reasonable number of hunters have a poor mastery of nen.

"100 blacklist hunters attacking zoldyek mansion and being destroyed by Canary". Canary is strong, but I doubt she is at the level to defeat 100 Nenusers that attack her headon.
That would not surprise me, as it depends on their nen mastery and combat experience. If they only know the basics and never stick to their training, then of course they are gonna be destroyed by a butler of the Zoldycks. Those butlers are supposed to be elites with quality training.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I mean, you could even sell your license and a person who gets it could legitimately claim to be a hunter, as there is (to my knowledge) no way to verify whether you got your license legitimately.

As it is implied from what Satotz says, the license doesn't give the title of a hunter. So, one cannot claim to be a hunter via a license that is not originally theirs.

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Apart from temp hunters, no, I don't think there are. It is stated in the hunter bylaws that the minimum strength requirement to be a full-fledged hunter is to have nen. I think all hunters who passed the exam end up developing their nen.

But can any pro hunter really fail to acquire nen? The answer is no imo, and here is why:

We have seen that newbie hunters who don't have nen are given teachers (sooner or later) and are closely monitored by the association. So, even if someone struggles to open their aura nodes via the normal method, his teacher can just force them open via some form of baptism. But anyone who passes the exam should be someone out of the ordinary, so they should get the hang of nen.

Moreover, looking at the current arc, Kurapika is about to unlock the nen of a bunch of "normal" people with no particular talent, in less than a month! So if even house maids can develop nen, then someone who passed the hunter exam can most definitely too.

However, I do believe that a reasonable number of hunters have a poor mastery of nen.

That would not surprise me, as it depends on their nen mastery and combat experience. If they only know the basics and never stick to their training, then of course they are gonna be destroyed by a butler of the Zoldycks. Those butlers are supposed to be elites with quality training.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

As it is implied from what Satotz says, the license doesn't give the title of a hunter. So, one cannot claim to be a hunter via a license that is not originally theirs.
Tho, Canary was ten at the time. I don't think she, at that point, was stronger than Kalluto. If we take Kalluto and Leorio as baselines (Leorio being untalented at Nen and not particularly interested at training it), I do not think Kalluto can defeat 100 Leorios coming at her.

After all, the problem with nen abilities is that you dno what they do. Even if someone is not super talented at nen, some annoying manipulation ability or something long ranged like leorio's ability can absolutely catch off guard when you are buys with beating up 5 other guys.

The question would really be what would have happened if Gon and Killua had refused to take wing as master and stopped going to heaven's area. Would Wing have followed them like Izunavi did with Kurapika? What if they had said they are not interested at learning Nen? Would they really be forced to be baptized?

I could rather imagine that you need Nen to actually get anywhere with your license. Kurapika tried to get a job from a hunter agency, but was refused for not knowing Nen. I think had Kurapika never learned Nen, they would let him think he is a hunter, but he can get no jobs via it and probably is not invited to events like the election arc.

But he is still free to run around claiming (and thinking) he is a hunter.

I am aware that the organization does not think of you as a hunter if you just buy a license. But that does not:

a) stop people from claiming and thinking they are legitimate hunters for owning a license.
b) stop legitimate hunters from losing their license but still claiming they are hunters (if they lose their license before they pass hidden exam, i doubt the org bothers with teaching them nen).

Diivil

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
That would actually make a lot of sense to me, as we know of events like "100 blacklist hunters attacking zoldyek mansion and being destroyed by Canary". Canary is strong, but I doubt she is at the level to defeat 100 Nenusers that attack her headon.
She only defeated 1 Blacklist Hunter & his gang of 100.
She didn't didn't actually defeat 100+ Blacklist Hunters.

The question would really be what would have happened if Gon and Killua had refused to take wing as master and stopped going to heaven's area. Would Wing have followed them like Izunavi did with Kurapika? What if they had said they are not interested at learning Nen? Would they really be forced to be baptized?
Wing would've followed them out of the Heavens Arena until he could agree on a teaching Timetable with Gon, similar to how Leorio was still studying and had only known Ten by the time he appeared in Yorknew. The examiners will just keep on pressing and trying to create a situation where the new hunter will be forced to accept their help and teaching, somewhat similar to Izunavi & Kurapika.

Rather then them being a slow learner who's perhaps struggling, if someone willingly doesn't want to learn, then no, they won't be forced to get awakened.

a) stop people from claiming and thinking they are legitimate hunters for owning a license.
I could rather imagine that you need Nen to actually get anywhere with your license. Kurapika tried to get a job from a hunter agency, but was refused for not knowing Nen. I think had Kurapika never learned Nen, they would let him think he is a hunter, but he can get no jobs via it and probably is not invited to events like the election arc.
Along with what you said above, the Hunter License has its benefits, like being required to access the Hunter Website for example, but it is still largely just the icing on a Hunter's cake. Most competent places hire hunters based on their power/qualifications, rather than them having a license. A hunter with no Nen trying to get jobs and make money using only his license is a recipe for disaster.
b) stop legitimate hunters from losing their license but still claiming they are hunters (if they lose their license before they pass hidden exam, i doubt the org bothers with teaching them nen).
Essentially, for a real hunter, the license is just simply something of a heirloom. Losing your license is just the sign of an amateur Hunter, because of the fact that you are told it cannot be ever re-issued.

Though it has no practical use to the person you sell it to, they could still just use the fact that they possess a license to get contracted jobs with unsuspecting or amateurish/desperate employers, get certain benefits just from showing the card, etc... Though, it's all only a very small advantage to gain, considering that it'll cost billions to buy it in the first place.

uberfayt

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Tho, Canary was ten at the time. I don't think she, at that point, was stronger than Kalluto. If we take Kalluto and Leorio as baselines (Leorio being untalented at Nen and not particularly interested at training it), I do not think Kalluto can defeat 100 Leorios coming at her.

After all, the problem with nen abilities is that you dno what they do. Even if someone is not super talented at nen, some annoying manipulation ability or something long ranged like leorio's ability can absolutely catch off guard when you are buys with beating up 5 other guys.
Iirc Canaria was mostly against people comparable to the mafia goons, and not pro hunters (well, one of them was a hunter tho). Of course, had she been against 100 nen users of Leorio's caliber then it's game over for her, and frankly, I doubt even Hisoka could handle that.

he question would really be what would have happened if Gon and Killua had refused to take wing as master and stopped going to heaven's area. Would Wing have followed them like Izunavi did with Kurapika? What if they had said they are not interested at learning Nen? Would they really be forced to be baptized?
I don't think they'll be forcibly baptised.

Ok, so let us assume for some reason a hunter candidate flat out refused to learn nen. Here we can only speculate, but I imagine that would count as failing the secret exam, therefore I assume the association would revoke the candidate's "hunter" title, but probably not his license since there is no guarantee he still has it.

Also, I think there should be some penalty to this, like preventing the candidate from ever retaking the exam, even though he technically "failed".

I am aware that the organization does not think of you as a hunter if you just buy a license. But that does not:

I'm pretty sure there are millions of frauders claiming to be "hunters", with or without a license. But as I said, I don't think there is any (officially recognized) pro hunter that does not know nen.

Last edited:

DDed

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam

Here is 2011 anime 10th Anniversary Special Illustration - no manga comeback announcement

Kanmuru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Yeah i can't get a single word from that :eek: any context or general idea of that video pls :nod

lulukaruins

Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
lol.I don't get it either. It's just nice to see other mangaka praise togashi art. and I occasionally stumbled on blue period poster here and there. I guess it's make me happy hearing it from the current renown author.

Because of it I'm reading blue period now. So far it's enjoyable :D.

What do you guys read this days (outside jump titles) any good one?. I miss hxh so much. I feel there's almost no wasted panel in hxh... every panel has it purpose. I hope Togashi back this year.

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Yeah i can't get a single word from that :eek: any context or general idea of that video pls :nod
A talk show showing mangaka listing manga that they think are amazing. In this case, the author of Blue Period (Tsubasa Yamaguchi) listed HxH and Kingdom as her top two.

This video doesn't have the clip above, but it shows a lot of mangaka and also has Yamaguchi's #3:

What do you guys read this days (outside jump titles) any good one?
After Miura's death, just 3-gatsu no Lion, Blue Period, and Land of the Lustrous (also on hiatus). Definitely recommend all three.

Kanmuru

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
A talk show showing mangaka listing manga that they think are amazing. In this case, the author of Blue Period (Tsubasa Yamaguchi) listed HxH and Kingdom as her top two.
Thank you for clarifying

What do you guys read this days (outside jump titles) any good one?. I miss hxh so much. I feel there's almost no wasted panel in hxh... every panel has it purpose. I hope Togashi back this year.
Dunno if jump or not but I saw a single panel from Dandadan and decided to read it out of curiosity and had a total blast with it. Pretty light hearted and funny but knows when to get serious and has some dark stuff going on aswell. Great action, characters and art. Highly recommended :mono

Drakrami

Reaction score
Country
Balearic Islands
Basically almost 3.5 years hiatus. Even if he was working on it at a turtle's pace, in 3.5 years he could have done 10 chapters and released it by now. Jump woulda definitely push for this ever since Bleach and Naruto ended. Now I conclude that he is just taking years long holiday and playing games or something.